• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Playstation $ can't find out definitively
PS2 $750 (was $499 within a year) launched here 8 or so months after Japan
Xbox $650 (for about 4-8 weeks, then 399) launched here 5 months after US
Xbox 360 $650 launched here 5 months after US
PS3 $999 launched here 5 months after US

One system (360?) launched in Europe at the same time as the US but we still had to wait till the following march.

The Wii and the Wii U are the only consoles we didn't get huge delays after the US launch
I do expect one of them to release in Australia this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't til 2014.

Fredescu

The reviews I've read give the impression they aren't that great in desktop form anyway.

Aren't that great as in you wouldn't upgrade if you had last gens chips, and you probably can't overclock the bejeesus out of them like some hoped, but they're still better than what's come before. x3n05 and I had a gentlemanly disagreement over whether upgrading every two cycles was a waste of money, let alone one, and haswell is still ~40% over sandy bridge. I'm still running a Q9550, so I'm another two gens behind that.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Anyone seen any Haswell ITX boards for sale here yet? I'm ready to throw some money at someone.

Go IB instead of haswell, Unless you want a heater? ;)

I'm sure the boards should start appearing sometime this week and then you can throw money at pcg or something.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Not sure how that works since they idle lower than IB.

Just in terms of Overclocking and all that. People seem to be hitting high temps, 90s and what not trying to really push it.

Since you're not going to do that, It doesn't matter, which is why there was a winking face.

I don't mind the look of some of the new boards though, talk about sex.

the number to the right is the exchange rate against the US dollar around the local launch- unscientific, I know but for shits and giggles...

PSX $699 (thanks Fred) 0.7388802832
N64 $399 (down to $199 within a year) 0.7929899019
Dreamcast $499 0.6369336213
PS2 $750 (was $499 within a year) 0.5324000001
Xbox $650 (for about 4-8 weeks, then 399) 0.5250000000
Gamecube $299 (had a $30 price cut just before launch) 0.5395000000
Xbox 360 $650 0.7761227150
Wii $399 0.7705752503
PS3 $999 0.8056342331
Wii U $420 1.0427719624

Fredescu

Since you're not going to do that, It doesn't matter, which is why there was a winking face.

I might go a mild overclock, I don't know, I think I prefer low power usage these days. The difference between 4.3Ghz and 4.6Ghz isn't going to bother me as much as it does the rest of the internet.

it went to about 48c for a little while. I bought Spaced series one on DVD for about $46 from the UK in 2000. I think I paid $50 to the get the DVD of Mission Impossible 2 from Amazon. One was a decent purchase and one was a waster of money. But I like to think in my delirious state that I somehow got Simon Pegg and Tom Cruise together for MI3.

Hi AusGAF, I might be joining the ranks of you all in the not too distant future but I wanted to do some research and get some opinions first :)

In about a year’s time or so, my fiancée and I will most likely be moving to Perth, and I just wanted to get a feel for what life is like over there. I was born in Taiwan but I grew up in the US, and she was born in Singapore but grew up in Perth.

We are both living in Singapore now (I moved here about 5 years ago), and I promised her that I would give Australia a shot because she loved it there so much. She assures me the lifestyle there is very laidback, that it’s a great place to live, and there are plenty of places to go and lots of good food to eat.

While in the US I lived in the Los Angeles and Orange County areas (Newport/Irvine/Laguna), and quite frankly I preferred Orange County. I like things to be clean and new, not old, dirty and run down. I like four seasons and non-humid weather, and I like lots of space and big smooth open roads for driving. In the off chance that someone in AusGAF has lived in or visited Orange County, could you make some sort of comparison for me to Perth?

All I’ve heard about Perth is how boring it is, how things close super early, how there are lots Vietnamese gangs, that it’s pretty racist (but I hear this about the US a lot too and I never really encountered any), and that it has tons of gigantic bugs/insects (thanks a lot GAF!)

Also, how are the property prices in Perth? The place I’m staying at now is 883 sq. ft. and costs just a tad over $1M. Would I be able to get something considerably nicer/bigger in Perth? And what about cars? How much does something like a M3 or M5 cost there? I think cars, food and golf are my only real hobbies so hopefully Perth will be good for that.

Thanks in advance for any advice and/or suggestions!

Dead Man

Hi AusGAF, I might be joining the ranks of you all in the not too distant future but I wanted to do some research and get some opinions first :)

In about a year’s time or so, my fiancée and I will most likely be moving to Perth, and I just wanted to get a feel for what life is like over there. I was born in Taiwan but I grew up in the US, and she was born in Singapore but grew up in Perth.

We are both living in Singapore now (I moved here about 5 years ago), and I promised her that I would give Australia a shot because she loved it there so much. She assures me the lifestyle there is very laidback, that it’s a great place to live, and there are plenty of places to go and lots of good food to eat.

While in the US I lived in the Los Angeles and Orange County areas (Newport/Irvine/Laguna), and quite frankly I preferred Orange County. I like things to be clean and new, not old, dirty and run down. I like four seasons and non-humid weather, and I like lots of space and big smooth open roads for driving. In the off chance that someone in AusGAF has lived in or visited Orange County, could you make some sort of comparison for me to Perth?

All I’ve heard about Perth is how boring it is, how things close super early, how there are lots Vietnamese gangs, that it’s pretty racist (but I hear this about the US a lot too and I never really encountered any), and that it has tons of gigantic bugs/insects (thanks a lot GAF!)

Also, how are the property prices in Perth? The place I’m staying at now is 883 sq. ft. and costs just a tad over $1M. Would I be able to get something considerably nicer/bigger in Perth? And what about cars? How much does something like a M3 or M5 cost there? I think cars, food and golf are my only real hobbies so hopefully Perth will be good for that.

As long as you can deal with the restricted night life, sounds like Perth will be perfect for you. Great driving, great weather, great beaches. Pretty good food too. It is very flat though, not many mountains or anything.

Cars. M3 is about 140k Australian new. Don't know on an M5, but cars are generally more expensive than Europe or America.

Property is expensive, but it may be about in line with Singapore depending on where you want to be.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I might go a mild overclock, I don't know, I think I prefer low power usage these days. The difference between 4.3Ghz and 4.6Ghz isn't going to bother me as much as it does the rest of the internet.

Yea. Considering most ports these days don't even use all 4 cores, It's kinda worthless.

Next year with next gen ports, Hopefully that's a different story though. Like it was with GTA4 on PC, The faster the CPU was the better performance you actually got.

Also, I take it you have seen the OCAU thread on the microserver and probably the WP one as well ?

jambo

Uni on Everything, welcome!

Steam ID?
360 Gamertag?
PS3 thingy?
Twitterer?
How many of your relatives has the Carbon Tax suffocated so far?
Sexiest Bond: Pierce Brosnan or Sir Sean "The Rock" Connery?
Would you buy a Crackdown 3?
Thoughts on Viva Pinata Party Pinatas?
iOS gamer or Android user?
How do you feel about DRM and always on DRM?
Is Women teh weakest sex in gaeming?
Do you Kooka with Country Cookies?
UGG boots. Do you speak it?
Red Rock Deli chips are the best chips.
Picking up a Vita or have a 3DS? OR SNK THINGY?
D&D or Board Games or IRL Role Playing or Furry or Capcom fan?
Sexy: Karen Gillan? Ricki Lee? Missy Higgins?
Tony Abbott: Best budgie smuggler or just saggy smarmy arsehole?
Jalapeño man?
BACON MAN?
Interest in alcohol? Scotch and Cider?
Vegemite... Mana from heaven or foul toxic sludge?
Do you plays the Halos or Duties or FieldsOfBattlez?
Any glass eyeballs?
Are you the one delaying all the fucking videogames into 2013 killing 3rd party support for the WiiU?
Are you Mayan or can use Maya?
Curse of Monkey Island is the greatest game of all time.

Pandemic

Playstation $ can't find out definitively
PS2 $750 (was $499 within a year) launched here 8 or so months after Japan
Xbox $650 (for about 4-8 weeks, then 399) launched here 5 months after US
Xbox 360 $650 launched here 5 months after US
PS3 $999 launched here 5 months after US

One system (360?) launched in Europe at the same time as the US but we still had to wait till the following march.

The Wii and the Wii U are the only consoles we didn't get huge delays after the US launch
I do expect one of them to release in Australia this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't til 2014.

Dayum, insane how the PS3 launched with a $999 price tag..

Fredescu

Next year with next gen ports, Hopefully that's a different story though. Like it was with GTA4 on PC, The faster the CPU was the better performance you actually got.
Yeah, quads made a big difference with GTA4. I will probably get a 2560x1440 monitor, so I think I'll just run off the onboard graphics until I get back into gaming again because I'm probably going to need a beast of a GPU to run at that rez. Unless I just play at 1080 windowed.

Also, I take it you have seen the OCAU thread on the microserver and probably the WP one as well ?

Yep! I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. I think I'm going to build my main PC first and if I like the power usage of that, just build a Haswell NAS when the i3s come out. Or just get a second hand HP on OCAU if one comes up between now and then.

A few mates live in Perth they say its alright. Learn to love afl. Some good surf beaches as well (though great whites also like said surf beaches as well).

As long as you can deal with the restricted night life, sounds like Perth will be perfect for you. Great driving, great weather, great beaches. Pretty good food too. It is very flat though, not many mountains or anything.

Cars. M3 is about 140k Australian new. Don't know on an M5, but cars are generally more expensive than Europe or America.

Property is expensive, but it may be about in line with Singapore depending on where you want to be.

Ouch... 140K is still quite a bit. Not nearly as bad as Singapore, but more than the US. Guess it's right around the middle.

Have a browse around http://www.realestate.com.au/buy to get an idea.

Thanks for the link. Some pretty nice looking places, but prices seem all over the place depending on how close to the city you are.

A few mates live in Perth they say its alright. Learn to love afl. Some good surf beaches as well (though great whites also like said surf beaches as well).

AFL = ? I'm not too much into surfing, but I do enjoy going to the beach!

Uni on Everything, welcome!

Steam ID?
360 Gamertag?
PS3 thingy?
Twitterer?
How many of your relatives has the Carbon Tax suffocated so far?
Sexiest Bond: Pierce Brosnan or Sir Sean "The Rock" Connery?
Would you buy a Crackdown 3?
Thoughts on Viva Pinata Party Pinatas?
iOS gamer or Android user?
How do you feel about DRM and always on DRM?
Is Women teh weakest sex in gaeming?
Do you Kooka with Country Cookies?
UGG boots. Do you speak it?
Red Rock Deli chips are the best chips.
Picking up a Vita or have a 3DS? OR SNK THINGY?
D&D or Board Games or IRL Role Playing or Furry or Capcom fan?
Sexy: Karen Gillan? Ricki Lee? Missy Higgins?
Tony Abbott: Best budgie smuggler or just saggy smarmy arsehole?
Jalapeño man?
BACON MAN?
Interest in alcohol? Scotch and Cider?
Vegemite... Mana from heaven or foul toxic sludge?
Do you plays the Halos or Duties or FieldsOfBattlez?
Any glass eyeballs?
Are you the one delaying all the fucking videogames into 2013 killing 3rd party support for the WiiU?
Are you Mayan or can use Maya?
Curse of Monkey Island is the greatest game of all time.

Thank you! And what the... am I supposed to answer all this? :O

Deeku

probably a lot cheaper than in singapore i reckon, what with their car tax/permit thing or whatever they have over there

RIP too fucking young.
4728654-3x2-700x467.jpg
Yothu Yindi lead singer Mandawuy Yunupingu has died overnight at his home in the Northern Territory.

The former Australian of the Year, who was 56, died at his home in Yirrkala in Eastern Arnhem Land.

Mandawuy brought his local people, the Yolngu people, and Indigenous issues to a national stage with his musical career.

He co-founded Yothu Yindi in 1986, and was the band's lead singer and most prominent personality.

He broke records throughout his life, becoming the first Indigenous Australian from Arnhem Land to gain a university degree.

In 1990 he also made history when he took over as head of the Yirrkala Community School, making him Australia's first Aboriginal principal.

He was named 1992 Australian of the Year for his work as a musician and educator and his work in building bridges between Indigenous and non-Indigenous communities.

He leaves behind a wife and six daughters.

Also fucking shock. Come back as always for her payday and then go on her merry way for another few years.

Yesterday I got a whole 4 racisms in, and now I get a free sandwich from Subway - made by an ethnicity of my choice!

I think I'll go with Italian, Meatballs.

I just picked mine up! Delicious.

senahorse

Just in terms of Overclocking and all that. People seem to be hitting high temps, 90s and what not trying to really push it.

I don't mind the look of some of the new boards though, talk about sex.

Like ivy, unless you get lucky with a good chip, you have to delid if you want good temps and big overclocks. It's the reason Sandy overclocks so well as the IHS is soldered and doesn't have that shit glue holding it back.

edit: come my build in July this is what I will be doing:

mqdefault.jpg

Also, damn you cookie, probably will be going watercooling now (still not 100%) and already have a pretty good idea on what pumps, rads, res and cpu block I will be using, the unknown is still the GPU's.

Shaneus

One play by Geelong. One. other than that, I didn't see any other mentions other than Polly Farmer in the intro. Never mind the fact that when that video was uploaded, Geelong had won 3 of the last 5 premierships :/

PS. RIP Mandawuy Yunupingu. Had no idea he was so accomplished beyond what he did with Yothu Yindi. Hopefully his six kids can (and do) carry on his legacy.

jambo

One play by Geelong. One. other than that, I didn't see any other mentions other than Polly Farmer in the intro. Never mind the fact that when that video was uploaded, Geelong had won 3 of the last 5 premierships :/

I did notice that.

Geelong have been the best and most consistent team from 2007-2013 and possibly onwards.

Top Bottom