• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Hopefully Queensland win so I can continue to taste the salty tears of Phil Gould and co.

Also, I bought the Humble bundle this morning. That's a lot of games. And I didn't own a single one of them prior, so that's good.
ku-xlarge.gif

Who's a good ISP? I will be setting up internet for my parents soon. I'm with internode but their new plans don't look very good up against my current plan $60 for 150GB compared to $60 for 60GB for new services.

Brisbane southside and no NBN for a while

Not SpinTel. They were the only company that would give me internet where I am and they SUCK. Drops out all the time. Actually to be fair it's got better recently. But I'm counting down the days to NBN. I got a flyer about NBN deals the other day, but I think that's because there's a greenfields site on my road. They've apparently started already in the area though

Stackboy

Who's a good ISP? I will be setting up internet for my parents soon. I'm with internode but their new plans don't look very good up against my current plan $60 for 150GB compared to $60 for 60GB for new services.

iinet are pretty reliable.

Danoss

You can get the same thing with Internode but you have to sign up for 24 months to get it. I don't like that idea myself, even if the NBN wasn't too far away in some areas.

Iinet seem alright price-wise. $50 for 200GB if they're using it on an existing line sounds fine by me, no peak/off-peak crap either so similar to Internode in that regard.

Eh, not necessarily. If the childcare was allowing it to happen, it's probable that they didn't even tell the parents how their kid was acting or didn't try to correct it or whatever. No need to jump to conclusions. Kids act completely different around other kids than around their parents.
For a child to be exhibiting that behavior at the age of 2 all the way up to 5 or whatever age it was would be a much larger problem than just the day care, the issues would surely pop up at other places than just the day care, even at friends houses.

So, does anyone know of a decent online savings account at the moment? I got a small bit of money that I need to park for a few months, but I will need access to it a couple times with short notice, so a term deposit is out. Anyone use one that's not rubbish?

Yep. Classic case of good policies (sort of, maybe, half the time lol) but utter inability to sell themselves. Drives me mad. I want them to lose so they hopefully learn a thing or two, but a term or two of Abbott will crush me.
Take it to the mattresses.

Really though, I was under the impression that bank money isn't really much of a money maker in the end as it is taxed so high.

Also I am sure Labor don't employ anyone with a degree (or positive experience) in PR or marketing. Because they just constantly make themselves out to be fuckwits.

Also the polls look to show a huge swing, knocking the Libs up to 100 seats or something silly.

Noooope. Taking my girl out for dinner.
Shit I should do that sometime :/

I'm a terrible husband! :(

You can get the same thing with Internode but you have to sign up for 24 months to get it. I don't like that idea myself, even if the NBN wasn't too far away in some areas.

Iinet seem alright price-wise. $50 for 200GB if they're using it on an existing line sounds fine by me, no peak/off-peak crap either so similar to Internode in that regard.

Where this place is, iinet doesn't have their own gear so the plans are more like this

Home-3 $49.95 100GB + 100GB (peak + offpeak) $0.25 per GB

Home-4 $79.95 200GB + 200GB (peak + offpeak) $0.20 per GB

jambo

Would your parents ever use 100 GB a month in peak times? Are they techy or is the PC just for emails, Facebook and internet banking?

Internode have never had peak stuff for data, ever. iiNet used to, but have been removing it over the last few years.

Danoss

For a child to be exhibiting that behavior at the age of 2 all the way up to 5 or whatever age it was would be a much larger problem than just the day care, the issues would surely pop up at other places than just the day care, even at friends houses.

I meant to chime in on this topic earlier. In the article, I recall it mentioned that the victimised child was demonstrating anger and such.

I saw a documentary of a child who was the victim of sexual abuse at a very young age and ended up being adopted by another family. She started showing violent tendencies beyond most peoples imagination of a child so young. The documentary is in full on YouTube and it's absolutely worth watching, but I warn that it is disturbing (nothing bad is depicted, but the events are discussed and that is more than enough).

The documentary: Child of Rage

Internode have never had peak stuff for data, ever. iiNet used to, but have been removing it over the last few years.

I know, that's why I thought it was worth mentioning. It's a good thing (and one of the reasons I have them as my provider) and given that it is now gone from iiNet's plans makes them much more attractive.

Would your parents ever use 100 GB a month in peak times? Are they techy or is the PC just for emails, Facebook and internet banking?

My parents are of the "turn the laptop off after checking email" variety in case the battery runs down variety.

I'll be working from there for a bit as well so fast, reliable and decent quota is essential.
I have to keep the current internode connection for a bit longer as I'll be in both places.

Ah fuck, Looks like the girl at works IVF might not have taken. Started bleeding.

That's just shit.
Fuck. Hope everything is okay, that would be fucking heart wrenching.

The games are cursed.
But you get a free soundtrack!

Dodo are better than you would think. We are on a $60 a month plan, includes line rental and unlimited downloads on ADSL2+.

Otherwise my experiences with iiNet was great.

jambo

My parents are of the "turn the laptop off after checking email" variety in case the battery runs down variety.

You could save them $10 a month and do 30+30

I know, that's why I thought it was worth mentioning. It's a good thing (and one of the reasons I have them as my provider) and given that it is now gone from iiNet's plans makes them much more attractive.

Ah, I misread it the first time, thought you were saying they had peak stuff like Internode.

Danoss

Ah, I misread it the first time, thought you were saying they had peak stuff like Internode.

For some reason I was having difficulty structuring that sentence to avoid exactly this confusion. I'll try harder next time.

The Internode acquisition/merger by iiNet has made their plans much more attractive while Internode's are now lacking (I'm still on an old T-Shirt plan). No peak/off-peak was one of the things that sold me on Internode as not many other places were doing that. I love their power packs too, the option of a static IP is great.

Fredescu

The kid probably had a troubled upbringing for sure. That doesn't mean it's always appropriate to name and shame the parents when they're probably under some bad circumstances of their own. Do you support the sex offender registry they have in the US?

The kid probably had a troubled upbringing for sure. That doesn't mean it's always appropriate to name and shame the parents when they're probably under some bad circumstances of their own. Do you support the sex offender registry they have in the US?
Again, I'm not asking them to name and shame the kids or parents. The kids are already fucked up enough as it is, naming the parents will brand the kid with that curse for the rest of their life.

By shine a spotlight I meant the police / child services evaluate the parents, their ability to raise the child appropriately and establish the cause of the behaviour.

Oh right. "Spotlight" sounded to me like "make public". You'd hope that shit has already been done.
My English is pretty bad :(

I'm sure it has been investigated hopefully, just see so many that aren't in my line of work here that my expectations aren't as high as I believe they should be.

You get 'free' Usenet with Internode. For anonymously sharing all those 1080p home videos of your cat of course! They also used to have unmetered downloads from Aussie Steam servers but that seems to have dropped off the radar.

jambo

You get 'free' Usenet with Internode. For anonymously sharing all those 1080p home videos of your cat of course! They also used to have unmetered downloads from Aussie Steam servers but that seems to have dropped off the radar.

Over the past 6-12 months they've been moving the Steam content off of their Steam servers and across to their Content Delivery Network (CDN) system which is a lot more powerful and will feature a lot more Steam content.

Free premium Usenet access is still awesome, plus the premium radio streams from DI.fm and others. Oh and the Sourceforge mirror is really handy for open source freeware stuff and ISOs.

Danoss

A clean-out at the Parramatta Eels? About time!

This morning, with the full support of the entire Eels organization, Head Coach Ricky Stuart informed the full playing squad that the services of a group of selected players will not be required beyond this season.

Some of these players are off contract at the completion of this season while the others are contracted for 2014 but have been told that they are not a part of the club’s plans moving forward and have been offered early releases.

Over a long period of time, there have been a lot of people who have lost their jobs at the Eels without the playing group ever being held accountable. As of today the playing group is being held accountable.

Full report.

It'll take some time to rebuild a decent squad and getting rid of the dead weight is an essential first step to achieving that. Most of what has been done in the past is getting rid of the decent players, retaining the dead weight and not replacing those decent players at all or spending mega bucks on the wrong ones.

I know I'm the only Eels fan here, but who doesn't like to watch a good rivalry clash with the likes of the Panthers, Sea Eagles, Bulldogs and those pack of cunts at the Storm.

A clean-out at the Parramatta Eels? About time!

Full report.

It'll take some time to rebuild a decent squad and getting rid of the dead weight is an essential first step to achieving that. Most of what has been done in the past is getting rid of the decent players, retaining the dead weight and not replacing those decent players at all or spending mega bucks on the wrong ones.

I know I'm the only Eels fan here, but who doesn't like to watch a good rivalry clash with the likes of the Panthers, Sea Eagles, Bulldogs and those pack of cunts at the Storm.

That's been a long time coming. The players are always the last to cop it though. Coaches are the first to fall, then it seems managers, then players right at the end.

The Eels English recruits are good pick ups. If I was in charge of an NRL team I'd be scouring the Super League, rugby competitions and cast away American and Canadian football players for potential players. The best league in the world should have the best players in the world regardless of nationality.

The playability of that game is off the charts. As long as you have only the binary/digital controls on there and don't try to use analog, it feels exactly like the original PC one. Love it.

I hate analog and floating joysticks on touch-based platforms. Single button all the way. my girlfriend played some of the laboratory type level (the really short one with a massive extended map) and she found the winding passage to get back to the race and also the cop van that pushed her the whole way down with her yelling "fuck off! what the fuck is this shit? how do I get away from this asshole?" from the other room. hilarious

I'm about to be on iiNet. does that have any of the internode benefits? not paying for usenet would be awesome

Shaneus

I need a cheap Xbox Live GOLD code, where is the cheapest place? Hoping for under $40 for 12 months.
Ahahaha. You think that the 360 will get supported once the One is out. How adorable.

I hope so, too. Hope.

I hate analog and floating joysticks on touch-based platforms. Single button all the way. my girlfriend played some of the laboratory type level (the really short one with a massive extended map) and she found the winding passage to get back to the race and also the cop van that pushed her the whole way down with her yelling "fuck off! what the fuck is this shit? how do I get away from this asshole?" from the other room. hilarious
Ahaha, nice. But I think some of it might also be that maybe the original didn't actually support analog controls? Can't say for sure, but that might be it.
PS. Same. Digital stuff on touchscreens is bad enough. Fake "analog" joysticks is many times worse.

Danoss

That's been a long time coming. The players are always the last to cop it though. Coaches are the first to fall, then it seems managers, then players right at the end.

The Eels English recruits are good pick ups. If I was in charge of an NRL team I'd be scouring the Super League, rugby competitions and cast away American and Canadian football players for potential players. The best league in the world should have the best players in the world regardless of nationality.

The coaches who have been sent have certainly earned it, some good things they've done have remained, now cleaning up the last of their mess remains. I'm glad they're turning an eye to the players now. I have an idea who some of them are and the following report, if true, contains some surprises, most of which I am quite happy with.

Fairfax Media has been told that Maitua, Matt Keating, Ben Smith, Willie Tonga, Ben Roberts, Cheyse Blair, Daniel Harrison, Nathan Smith, Pat O’Hanlon and Matthew Eisenhuth are among those on the chopping block. Some of those on the list have recently re-signed or are on contract for 2014.

Full story.

Cheyse Blair could be so much better if he'd apply himself and use his size and speed to his advantage; his aggression is great too, but I guess he's been given every chance, a real shame. Daniel Harrison and Nathan Smith have mostly spend time at Wenty so I haven't seen much of them, Ricky even brought Harrison in but I guess he hasn't lived up to expectations; O'Hanlon and Eisenhuth have been in the same boat so, whatever.

Matt Keating has needed to go for years, a good hooker is vital and he is just slow and makes some awful decisions, he might be a good tackler but that's not enough to cover for his major flaws. Ben Smith has been past it for ages and is a knock-on and penalty machine. Willie Tonga was shit when he came to the Eels and when he wasn't injured he was shit and hogged the ball on many occasions when a pass to the wing would have yielded a try, good riddance; same to Ben "Brain Explosion" Roberts

Reni has been alright, but far from great, on the occasion when he pushes through the line and can get that offload, it can be devastating. We haven't seen enough of that. I think they're making room for the two poms coming through by getting rid of him. Lee Mossop sounds like a great buy but Hock sounds like another penalty machine if he doesn't keep his aggression in check, we'll see.

I doubt you or many other people wanted to read my thoughts on each of those players, but I felt like writing it anyway. I wonder what their thoughts are for the hooker position, maybe that's why Kaysa Pritchard has been getting some minutes in the NRL this year and maybe Luke Kelly might find himself in that spot if he doesn't get dumped altogether (he's back at Wenty this week).

I agree we should be seeing more of the best from the rest of the world playing in the NRL, though some of the players from Super League are sounding super greedy with their asking price. Transfer fees from their respective clubs make it a less attractive option for NRL clubs, sadly.

So um, iiNet connected our internet same day. Mum called at 9am. According to my email it was connected at 2:44pm, literally 15 minutes after I left to go to Centrelink to sign up for unemployment.
:(

Still no jerb?

Nope. Twiitch CEO didn't respond to my Friday email. I'm going to email him tomorrow asking for an update, but it honestly doesn't look too likely. I was going to apply for my local ALDI but their site doesn't list my area as looking for jobs, so fuck you ALDI. Officeworks also.

I need to hit up some friends for jobs.

I had a great hour or so of skating today :)
UeYIlH3.jpg

What an awesome night; I'm wearing my Maroons jersey, beer in hand, State of Origin kicking off in an hour and my NeoGAF suspension is over.

Hello friends and colleagues. I've missed you all dearly.

Top Bottom