• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 9 - F*** Off, We're Full (Of People With Different Ethnic Backgrounds)

Reptilescorpio Roundup!

Saw a cheap screening of Into Darkness here as it must be getting replaced next week.
Damon Lindelof is a fucking hack. I gave him the benefit of the doubt after Prometheus, which had half a good script, but Into Darkness was a waste. Felt like "Oh, the reboot was successful? Quick, get JJ's hack to whip something up quick before this pie gets cold!". Hopefully the next movie has some point to it, everything else was pretty awesome.

Was in Dick Smith the other day with my son (picked up a copy of Just Dance 3 for Kinect for $5! Tempted by Mario Kart Wii for $22.50 but didn't bite) and as soon as we walked into the quiet area near the games the radio blares;
"I don't even give a shit man."
Of some shitty hipphopp/dance song on Bay FM or whatever it is called down here. I mean for fucks sake. Franchise business, meant to be family friendly, for fucks sake guys. We had just gotten him out of the swearing phase too. Luckily he hasn't repeated it but he quite obviously pricked up at the word so he definitely heard it. Motherfuckers.

A few days ago I was sitting in the car keeping the boy entertained while the wife did the shopping. Some old fucks in a MX5 or something pulled up next to us. As I looked at their frail, shitty bodies I just fucking knew I was getting white paint smashed onto our orange Kia's door, I just fucking knew it. Sure enough the old lady swings the door out, can't get enough leverage, swings it out harder and BAM. As she gets out I look at her, she shrugs her shoulders and wanders off. Why do we keep these people around again? She might be dead by now, who knows.

The cat. The cat is like a fucking child, not a cat. I was nice enough to empty the litter tray in the laundry and steam mop the floor tiles for him. Shifted everything around all nice and new looking, no smells either! Nope. Cracks the sads. Starts passive aggressively eating my socks while I'm still in them. Follows that up with climbing the flyscreens, into time out in the laundry he goes. Little fucker, starts flicking the litter out of his tray and flicking it out under the laundry door. Now I gotta sweep up all this litter again! It's clean but it is still irritating as fuck when you stand on it barefoot. I guess he is still pissed I didn't share last nights chili con carne with him.

I think I'm going a little crazy waiting for E3.

/livejournal fin

Also minor Mighty Ape deals
SFxT controllers for $24 posted PS3/360
HotD Overkill for $13 posted PS3
Binary Domain for $18 posted 360
Rayman Origins for $18 posted 360
Asura's Wrath for $20 posted 360

Shaneus

Reptilescorpio Roundup!

Saw a cheap screening of Into Darkness here as it must be getting replaced next week.
Damon Lindelof is a fucking hack. I gave him the benefit of the doubt after Prometheus, which had half a good script, but Into Darkness was a waste. Felt like "Oh, the reboot was successful? Quick, get JJ's hack to whip something up quick before this pie gets cold!". Hopefully the next movie has some point to it, everything else was pretty awesome.

Was in Dick Smith the other day with my son (picked up a copy of Just Dance 3 for Kinect for $5! Tempted by Mario Kart Wii for $22.50 but didn't bite) and as soon as we walked into the quiet area near the games the radio blares;
"I don't even give a shit man."
Of some shitty hipphopp/dance song on Bay FM or whatever it is called down here. I mean for fucks sake. Franchise business, meant to be family friendly, for fucks sake guys. We had just gotten him out of the swearing phase too. Luckily he hasn't repeated it but he quite obviously pricked up at the word so he definitely heard it. Motherfuckers.

A few days ago I was sitting in the car keeping the boy entertained while the wife did the shopping. Some old fucks in a MX5 or something pulled up next to us. As I looked at their frail, shitty bodies I just fucking knew I was getting white paint smashed onto our orange Kia's door, I just fucking knew it. Sure enough the old lady swings the door out, can't get enough leverage, swings it out harder and BAM. As she gets out I look at her, she shrugs her shoulders and wanders off. Why do we keep these people around again? She might be dead by now, who knows.

The cat. The cat is like a fucking child, not a cat. I was nice enough to empty the litter tray in the laundry and steam mop the floor tiles for him. Shifted everything around all nice and new looking, no smells either! Nope. Cracks the sads. Starts passive aggressively eating my socks while I'm still in them. Follows that up with climbing the flyscreens, into time out in the laundry he goes. Little fucker, starts flicking the litter out of his tray and flicking it out under the laundry door. Now I gotta sweep up all this litter again! It's clean but it is still irritating as fuck when you stand on it barefoot. I guess he is still pissed I didn't share last nights chili con carne with him.

I think I'm going a little crazy waiting for E3.

/livejournal fin

Also minor Mighty Ape deals
SFxT controllers for $24 posted PS3/360
HotD Overkill for $13 posted PS3
Binary Domain for $18 posted 360
Rayman Origins for $18 posted 360
Asura's Wrath for $20 posted 360
Did you get the plates of that stupid bird who damaged your car? At least it's something.

BTW Surprised at the language they had on the radio... make sure you call them up and complain. Or the advertising standards and whatever bureau... or whatever.

Also, those pads are the shit. I think I have a bigger one already, but a smaller one with the same build quality = instabuy. Worth getting for PC use alone, especially for something like Saturn/MD emulation.

Did you get the plates of that stupid bird who damaged your car? At least it's something.
CVEW4gd.gif

This is Warrnambool dude. Our Kia is covered in scratches and dings. People here are just cunts that don't care. CUNTS.

Wife parked on the main street right in the middle of the CBD, in front of the NAB, the Telstra Shop, the entrance to the main plaza. Someone walked along and ran a key allllllllllll the way from the taillight to the headlight. This was at like 2pm on a Wednesday. I was pissed off and asked the cops to investigate, they asked all the shop fronts if they could supply footage from that time and none of them were interested. No one gives a fuck here.

I spent plenty of time out in Corio, Norlane and Grovedale with zero damage to my car. It is pretty much a monthly occurrence here to walk past the car and say "oh look, a new one".

I know now why all my mates who used to live in Warrnambool moved away lol should have taken that as a sign.

BTW Surprised at the language they had on the radio... make sure you call them up and complain. Or the advertising standards and whatever bureau... or whatever.
I've noticed it a few times with that channel. They blur it out most of the time but you can still tell motherrrrrrucker means motherfucker and bitccc is bitch, etc.

The DSE guy just apologised and said it won't happen again. Shrug.

Also, those pads are the shit. I think I have a bigger one already, but a smaller one with the same build quality = instabuy. Worth getting for PC use alone, especially for something like Saturn/MD emulation.
If I was any good at fighters I would definitely pick one up, beats the terrible dpad on the 360 controller.

Gazunta

Aaaaah AusGAF my one refuge away from the stresses of the modern wor--

*Sees Mad Catz SF controller for $20 and shipping*

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck GOD DAMN IM TRYING TO SAVE FOR MY MELBOURNE ANTI SOBRIETY TOUR REPTILE FUCK

Gazunta

ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME FUCK

In other news, four day weekends are the best weekends. Got SO MUCH DONE AND PLAYED SO MANY GAMES.

Back To The Future is good but just reminded me I still haven't finished Walking Dead
Poker Night At The Inventory is my kind of game! I love these games with characters playing poker. There was a cool one on c64 with 80s political figures that talked amongst themselves. I just wish Inventory continued playing if I did anything else on the computer instead of pausing. It would have been great to have it running in the background while I did other stuff.
Wario Ware DYI is neat and I can make cool little games with it. Maybe one day I can be a game designer for reals!
SSF4 on 3ds is portable SSF4. YAAY!!!
And still slogging through Donkey Kong Country Returns on Wii. FUCK that game is hard.

Cohsae

I miss my student days when I could stay up all night for E3 craziness. Coming back to gaf the next day to pick your way through the aftermath just isn't the same as seeing the insanity unfold.

yeah i only realised it was that when i took the photo
like i always wanted to try the american one
even though i bet this is nothign like the american one
but i dont think i needed 2 bottle of this one (was on special)
also i just want some regular old mtn dew

Shaneus

CVEW4gd.gif

This is Warrnambool dude. Our Kia is covered in scratches and dings. People here are just cunts that don't care. CUNTS.

Wife parked on the main street right in the middle of the CBD, in front of the NAB, the Telstra Shop, the entrance to the main plaza. Someone walked along and ran a key allllllllllll the way from the taillight to the headlight. This was at like 2pm on a Wednesday. I was pissed off and asked the cops to investigate, they asked all the shop fronts if they could supply footage from that time and none of them were interested. No one gives a fuck here.

I spent plenty of time out in Corio, Norlane and Grovedale with zero damage to my car. It is pretty much a monthly occurrence here to walk past the car and say "oh look, a new one".

I know now why all my mates who used to live in Warrnambool moved away lol should have taken that as a sign.
Mate, I really do hope that you can find something down here. Sadly though, I think there'll be a lack of jobs owing to the 50 billion businesses that have either closed or about to. Probably none in your areas of expertise, so you might be right in that regard... but I feel for you when I hear what a shithole Warrnambool is :(

If I was any good at fighters I would definitely pick one up, beats the terrible dpad on the 360 controller.
Do you want my old one? It hasn't copped much use and it's still quite nifty... I won't have a use for two (you need friends for that :( ).

I haven't actually tried it, but I heard it was the same but re-labelled for legal reasons (mainly the caffeine levels) ? No idea if it's actually true, but since some places have stopped selling the original one it makes sense.
Huh, there you go. I know in the US *all* Dew was caffeinated (as was their equivalent of Sunkist, Solo... pretty much all of them, from memory). So maybe they've been told by the advertising and standards bureau that they need to market it as such if they want to change it. Shame, because I kinda liked MD when I was actively (ha!) drinking soft drinks.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
With the upcoming E3 conferences, Here's a small guide of how you can enjoy them with fellow ausgaffers.

There's going to be the usual amount sticking around for the MS one at 2:30, I would say up to 10 people will be online watching it live and talking about how shit it is.

Where:
IRC Web URL - Otherwise - irc.gamesurge.net #AusGAF
Steam Chat Channel If you have steam installed and running you should just be able to click on this link.

There's a good chance some will actually jump on mumble and voice chat to each other about what's going on. Live voice reaction instead of text... exciting. Not sure if details of this will be given out, Might be on a who by who basis. Something that will be decided by whoever at the start of the conferences.

There's also a bot thanks to mega, that sends text between both IRC and steam, So you don't need to be in both at once to actually enjoy the text spam that will happen.

Hopefully some of you will be crazy enough to join the other crazies in the crazy festivities of the early morning.

So when E3 really hits in earnest we'll probably lose OT, but will Gaming Community go down as well?

Pretty sure we were spared last year. I don't really bother with GAF while that sorta stuff's going on though, too up and down. Just stuck with Twitter last time.

e: My plan from last year holds true for this. Slightly more tempted to stay up for MS this time to see what kind of train wreck it could be, though.

Sony tomorrow morning, Nintendo tomorrow night. Just catch up on GAF for MS.

lzIh8.gif

Omikron

Parent gaf: kids not eating dinner is fucking infuriating, especially since my son used to eat anything. Stupid stages of life.

Deeku

i'll just watch/listen to the gb coverage

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Just got caught by a bear! I blinded him, but he's hella strong and I can't run away! FARK!
you can run, just depends if you can run before it wipes your party out lol

man, you're making wanna go back and play it some. i stopped after 10ish hours because i figured i'd get back to it once there weren't so many jrpgs....but now a 3ds remake of the original is coming out end of this month (in japan anyway) :/

Had the same thing happen to me once. I was not as forgiving.

Bernbaum

Just had my first game crash to Windows whilst playing - Anno 1404.

Had graphics cranked to max, with 4x AA, for about 2 hours. Very hot, laptop fans cranking...

Ah well, can't have everything...

Parent gaf: kids not eating dinner is fucking infuriating, especially since my son used to eat anything. Stupid stages of life.

Heh yep. Thankfully they can grow out of it. Boys are good, they eat everything! Main thing is just to shovel it into your own mouth without letting his mind think about it. If he thinks he is winning a battle by not eating it he will try for it.

Although my nephew pretty much ate nothing for the first 5 years of his life.

Monkey! - The Complete Series of DVDs. All 52 episodes for about $52. Region 2 DVD's though so you will need a region free DVD player!

Had graphics cranked to max, with 4x AA, for about 2 hours. Very hot, laptop fans cranking...

Try this.

Deeku

heat issue is the main thing i worry about for gaming laptops. like, yeah i get it's supposed to be hot, but i always feel as though it might explode or something:/

Dead Man

I'm glad you listened to my advice.

Who else is being stupid and getting up at 2am to watch announcements for consoles they aren't going to even buy? I know I am.

I am resigned to the fact that I can't look away. I thought I could, but I will be there at 2am this morning :(

Jintor

Eh, i'm gonna go to sleep and wake up to the hype.

I wonder if we'll get any more DRM crazyiness by the time I wake up

Fuck though... I'm so tempted to stay up for the Microsoft conference just to see how fucking bad it can get. If they reveal some crazy DRM scheme on-stage and get mauled... But it's probably not going to happen. And I have a test tommorrow :T

Fredescu

I seem to remember AusGAF having lots of opinions on mechanical keyboards. I was thinking of getting a Coolermaster Quickfire Pro w/ browns. Any opinions on that one?

Shaneus

I was thinking about waking up early, but I only had ~3 hours sleep last night (came home from a night out, resigned to the fact that I wouldn't catch the F1... until I realised I made it home with 5 mins to spare! Woo!) and I can remember the sheer boredom, disappointment and frustration with the last thing I stayed up for. So I'd rather read all about it tomorrow and get myself some sleep.

If any of you kind souls would like to make notes and post them here so if (when) I don't have time to watch it until later tomorrow I'm not completely clueless, that'd be all kinds of rad. Would save me from having to find the official threads.

Or better still, pastebin it and tweet me a link, because I betcha GAF servers will be bonkers.

What a shame *they're* not always online.

PS. This was in another thread, I thought it was funny. Someone did a quick MS Paint jobby on the above photo, advising if anyone had a green texta with them to go nuts:

Edit: When is the Sony event?

Who else is being stupid and getting up at 2am to watch announcements for consoles they aren't going to even buy? I know I am.

I'm so used to gaf posting summaries etc I've never bothered. Though potentially watching the "ps4" having drm as bad as xbone live would mean I could start thinking about a pc build much sooner. Actually is e3 when they would go into console specifics?

Omikron

Sup AusGAF? My long weekend involved a scratched cornea and five hours in an emergency ward. Awesome!

Damn, how did you manage that one?!

Also, predicting Sony to announce very similar DRM strategy, but just watered down enough to be more palatable to you consumers. MS to show 95% multiplatform titles in their games blowout presser.

Bernbaum

Playing Anno 1404 and 2070.

Mechanically, the two are very simila. There's a bit more to 2070 than just a re-skinning of the previous, but I jumped into 1404 without any of the tutorials, and it's essentially the same process.

In almost every way, 2070 has some improvements: better interface, quicker menus, better graphics (technically) and it looks like it's got a more fleshed out campaign. That said, 1404 is vastly more enjoyable because of the historical setting. The central game's conceit of trading and expanding to satisfy civilian needs just doesn't jive with a futuristic setting at all.

Top Bottom