• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Fredescu

DeathJr said:
Hey! It's driving and swyping. Texting is for losers with iphones. ;)
Using a swype keyboard to send text messages is still texting. Calling iPhone users losers is still being a consumer whore. Texting while driving is still fucking retarded.

Kritz

Banned
http://kritz.net/personal/KXG164_counter.swf

I've added a ball counter, and added a doubleclick "feature".

When you double click, you spawn two balls, and the penetration of them will cause their exiting velocity to be absolutely crazy, and the two particles can be used as wrecking balls to blow up stuff. Technically a bug, but will make it a proper feature eventually.

Also, could anyone who can be bothered, run this game and let me know how many balls you can spawn before the FPS starts to dip? And what browser you're running. (ball population is displayed up the top next to the FPS counter)

I can get to about 130 on chrome and about 50 on firefox.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
jambo said:
I think you'll find the losers are the ones using their phones while driving.

Respect.

Seriously, just because YOU THINK you are ok to do it, doesn't mean you need to create a situation where there is even .05% more chance that you could hurt some one else due to your own idiocy.

jambo

Kritz said:
Also, could anyone who can be bothered, run this game and let me know how many balls you can spawn before the FPS starts to dip? And what browser you're running. (ball population is displayed up the top next to the FPS counter)

300 balls | 11 fps | Chrome 14.0.835.186 m

400 balls | 07 fps | Chrome 14.0.835.186 m

HolyCheck

Kritz said:
http://kritz.net/personal/KXG164_counter.swf

I've added a ball counter, and added a doubleclick "feature".

When you double click, you spawn two balls, and the penetration of them will cause their exiting velocity to be absolutely crazy, and the two particles can be used as wrecking balls to blow up stuff. Technically a bug, but will make it a proper feature eventually.

got to about 120 balls on opera

Kritz

Banned
I could have it cap the ball population based on how well the framerate is doing, I suppose.

I need to come up with some condition that deletes the balls, too.

Thanks chaps for the credit card responses. Pretty much the exact responses I expected, but I figured I should canvas the target audience to be sure.

Agyar

codswallop said:
Don't want to hijack the thread, but I have a question for all the uni students out there: Do you have a credit card (or debit card), did you have one when you first started uni, and do/did many of your friends? Just trying to get a feel for the percentage of students who have them.

I'm asking because I've been asked to develop something taking payments from students, but only allowing credit cards, and this seems like madness to me. Bank transfer and other payment options, though more work to develop, seems like they'd be needed as not that many students would have credit cards.

Feel free to PM the answer if you'd prefer.

The thing that makes credit card payments more accessible these days are the visa/mastercard debit cards, which can be used for credit payments. I imagine these are quite common amongst students these days.

Personally I had a credit card from my first year of uni and most people I knew did. It really depends whether you're targeting specific groups of students or all students and how often/large the payments are to see if it's worth dicking around with clunkier payment methods like Bpay or bank deposits.

Jintor

I think 50 is about right for Firefox. Got to 230 or so at 15fps.

Balls are bouncing outside the white zone with the doubleclick velocity spike, Kritz.

3chopl0x said:
Came out of my room this morning and got a weird look from my housemates friend who was sleeping on the couch. I should have been the one giving weird looks, this is my house :C
Demand rental favours or reporting him to your landlord.

legend166 said:
Guys seriously buy Company of Heroes and we'll play it tonight.
Steam ID: reptilescorpio
If you gift me the game I might play it with you!

Kritz said:
AP had even worse boss battles than Deus Ex.
This man is correct. Both games are fantastic and should be played.

midonnay said:
the world economy tanks and investors rush back to the safety of the american dollar/bonds.....wat.....my head hurts >_<
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff I hadn't made a Vita pre-order from Amazon yet!

Planet_JASE said:
Shaneus, has your copy of the Bastion soundtrack arrived yet? I ordered one at the same time you posted about it, which is getting close to a month ago. Still no sign of it.
They are sending them in batches so it may not have left yet.

codswallop said:
Thanks for the AusGAF invite, anonymous person. Now I need to actually give Steam some money so I can actually enter chat and not look like a friendless loser.
Isn't Portal and Team Fortress 2 free? They are both great fun.

elfinke said:
Nice! I'm watching the GiantBomb Diablo 3 quicklook (well, it's running in a separate window to the side) while I write my assignment and otherwise faff at work.
Keep your hands off it buddy. ;)

ClivePwned said:
I'm getting most of the big games this year locally (And importing the rest where they are not as time sensitive. The dollar also hasn't fallen by anywhere near as much against the pound
Also OzGameShop hasn't increased their prices yet thankfully.

Jintor said:
FATALITY

Shaneus said:
Should I know who Jeff Green is? I tried Google but all I found was a basketballer and a comedian.
Crikey. If you love Idle Thumbs you MUST listen to GFWL radio.

codswallop said:
Do you have a credit card (or debit card), did you have one when you first started uni, and do/did many of your friends?
Debit card came in second year of uni. I came from the bush though. Prefer Paypal (linked to my bank account) or direct deposit. Most of my friends got debit cards eventually. Very few had them or credit cards before uni.

Kritz

Banned
Jintor said:
I think 50 is about right for Firefox. Got to 230 or so at 15fps.

Balls are bouncing outside the white zone with the doubleclick velocity spike, Kritz.

Yeah the arena code is... absolutely terrible. It doesn't do corner collisions very well. At some point I think I should just reset balls to the centre of the arena if they manage to escape, with a velocity of 0,0. Or something.

Thanks for the help, guys. Really makes it a lot easier to work out how far I can optimise this game while keeping my calculations accurate.

Agyar said:
Personally I had a credit card from my first year of uni and most people I knew did. It really depends whether you're targeting specific groups of students or all students and how often/large the payments are to see if it's worth dicking around with clunkier payment methods like Bpay or bank deposits.
It's to take payments for parking permits, so likely to be a large and broad population of a university. Frequent, one-off small ($300 or less) payments.

Echoplx

reptilescorpio said:
Demand rental favours or reporting him to your landlord.

:lol dude It's not permanent, just a friend crashing for the night. I was more pissed that I couldn't even come out of my room without a weird look, as if I was the one who didn't belong :p

Did I miss the joke?

reptilescorpio said:
Isn't Portal and Team Fortress 2 free? They are both great fun.
They are, but in order to add friends or join chats you need to have actually purchased (or had gifted) a game. Because I'm dipping my toe into Steam and also want to find something good and cheap that's controller enabled, and because there's a huge amount of choice, I'm paralysed by that choice.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Hey that's interesting Skyward Sword (and SM3DL) only just got classified. I wonder if NOW we will get a release date?

3chopl0x said:
Did I miss the joke?
You did. Replace rental with sexual. More of a funny injoke with my mates from over the years. One of my mates spent an entire summer sleeping behind a couch at a place I was renting with others. He paid for his rent in fridge bitch duties. Such a relaxing summer.

codswallop said:
It's to take payments for parking permits, so likely to be a large and broad population of a university. Frequent, one-off small ($300 or less) payments.
I fucking hate paying for parking at uni. They want to remove free parking at Deakin completely and have made all the spaces the most expensive option. A day pass is now like $7 up from $4 a few years ago.

We have the option of up front payment or monthly direct debits out of our accounts.

Fredescu said:
Using a swype keyboard to send text messages is still texting. Calling iPhone users losers is still being a consumer whore. Texting while driving is still fucking retarded.
You don't get it. With swype, I don't even have to look at the screen. I look at the road and make funny circles on the key pad...and voila sentences form themselves.

Fredescu

codswallop said:
They are, but in order to add friends or join chats you need to have actually purchased (or had gifted) a game. Because I'm dipping my toe into Steam and also want to find something good and cheap that's controller enabled, and because there's a huge amount of choice, I'm paralysed by that choice.
How about the Cthulhu Saves the World & Breath of Death VII Double Pack? Only $3 and controller enabled. http://store.steampowered.com/sub/8848/

Jintor said:
Is controller-enabled a big issue?

I didn't know Steam accounts had limited functionality before you bought anything!
I'm planning on playing from my couch and took delivery of a 360 wireless controller with Windows support yesterday.

In fact, the HTPC in the lounge is "only" a C2D with 4GB RAM whereas my main desktop is a quad core thing with 8GB RAM, but it's at the other end of the house and not comfortable!

Anyone from Sydney Uni and used the Student Campus Card thing? Thoughts on that?

Fredescu said:
How about the Cthulhu Saves the World & Breath of Death VII Double Pack? Only $3 and controller enabled. http://store.steampowered.com/sub/8848/
I had considered those but couldn't find that many reviews (though all were glowing). That and Time Gentlemen, Please (not controller, but would work on the Netbook so acceptable) were the two I was both considering.

reptilescorpio said:
I fucking hate paying for parking at uni. They want to remove free parking at Deakin completely and have made all the spaces the most expensive option. A day pass is now like $7 up from $4 a few years ago.
Let's just say I know these decisions intimately. Free parking isn't going, BTW.

jambo

DeathJr said:
You don't get it. With swype, I don't even have to look at the screen. I look at the road and make funny circles on the key pad...and voila sentences form themselves.

You don't get it. You're still not fully concentrating on driving.

Two guys in a Van just tried to sell me a 'heaps cheap' 3D TV that they apparently had left over after their Harvey Norman delivery. Like I'm falling for that.

Fredescu

codswallop said:
I had considered those but couldn't find that many reviews (though all were glowing). That and Time Gentlemen, Please (not controller, but would work on the Netbook so acceptable) were the two I was both considering.
Don't think you can go wrong with either.

codswallop said:
Anyone from Sydney Uni and used the Student Campus Card thing? Thoughts on that?

I never use the ANZ credit card component of it. I guess if I didn't already have a debit mastercard I would be more inclined to. For what it's worth, I don't know anyone else there who uses the ANZ credit card aspect of the Student Card.

Fredescu said:
Don't think you can go wrong with either.
Thanks. Might pick up Cthulhu beacuse hey why not.

Doncamatic said:
I never use the ANZ credit card component of it. I guess if I didn't already have a debit mastercard I would be more inclined to. For what it's worth, I don't know anyone else there who uses the ANZ credit card aspect of the Student Card.
Thanks. How long has it been around? I had a feeling it wouldn't be that widespread since you have to load money on it, and that's just a pain in the butt no matter how convenient it is for the uni.

Incidentally, is Magicka any good? I've heard a few good things but just as many bad things. Looks like a ganky Diablo/Torchlight with spell mixing... Would likely be playing co-op. I realise it's probably not controller-friendly, going against what I just said earlier.

jambo said:
You don't get it. You're still not fully concentrating on driving.
In my 3 years of driving in Au, I've never had a crash. People have crashed into me, but never the opposite.

If you learn driving in India, you can't crash anywhere in the world. Maybe in China...

Kritz

Banned
Alright, I've added a dynamic cap to the ball population.

If your FPS goes below or is equal to 30 FPS, you can no longer spawn balls. I've also added a hard cap of 200 balls just for any kind of balance issues, I suppose.

now I just need to make a game out of the darn thing.

codswallop said:
Alpha Protocol or Time Gentlemen! Please are great cheap choices today

codswallop said:
Thanks. How long has it been around? I had a feeling it wouldn't be that widespread since you have to load money on it, and that's just a pain in the butt no matter how convenient it is for the uni.

They only added the ANZ aspect to them beginning last year. And yeah the pre-loading is definitely the key issue.

Sutton Dagger said:
Two guys in a Van just tried to sell me a 'heaps cheap' 3D TV that they apparently had left over after their Harvey Norman delivery. Like I'm falling for that.
In Geelong we used to have them turn up in Apco and the shopping centre in Waurn Ponds trying to sell 'heaps cheap' surround sound systems. Always had a good laugh at them.

Also Breath of Death & Cthulu are awesome!

Signed Bastion soundtrack just arrived!!!

reptilescorpio said:
Alpha Protocol or Time Gentlemen! Please are great cheap choices today
Already finished Alpha Protocol, but Time, Gentlemen might be the next purchase. I need to get my lazy-man gaming setup up and running before I throw any money at purchases.

Echoplx

Kritz said:
Alright, I've added a dynamic cap to the ball population.

If your FPS goes below or is equal to 30 FPS, you can no longer spawn balls. I've also added a hard cap of 200 balls just for any kind of balance issues, I suppose.

now I just need to make a game out of the darn thing.

Might be a stupid idea, but what if the aim was to trap an 'object' of some sort in the center of the mass? Obviously it would have resistance of some kind to make it hard.

Cohsae

codswallop said:
Incidentally, is Magicka any good? I've heard a few good things but just as many bad things. Looks like a ganky Diablo/Torchlight with spell mixing... Would likely be playing co-op. I realise it's probably not controller-friendly, going against what I just said earlier.
Co-op Magicka is super fun. So many opportunities to accidentally/intentionally fuck over your friends. Definitely a game to be played with friends on Skype, possible while slightly drunk.

HolyCheck

3chopl0x said:
Might be a stupid idea, but what if the aim was to trap an 'object' of some sort in the center of the mass? Obviously it would have resistance of some kind to make it hard.

He could create dolphin/whale bubble fishing: the game

Shaneus

reptilescorpio: Where can I get one of these "fridge bitches" you speak of? I don't know what they do, but they sound delightful.

HolyCheck

Shaneus said:
reptilescorpio: Where can I get one of these "fridge bitches" you speak of? I don't know what they do, but they sound delightful.

I have a friend who wants to move to Melbourne, I think in the time he might crash in my apartment before we find a bigger place.. I will forgoe his rent and give him this job.

Fogz

Sutton Dagger said:

There was that 1 woman who fell for it and bought an iPad out of the back of a van and it turned out to be a block of wood with an apple logo painted on it.

HolyCheck

Fogz said:
There was that 1 woman who fell for it and bought an iPad out of the back of a van and it turned out to be a block of wood with an apple logo painted on it.

Saw that thread, was amazing

Top Bottom