• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Gazunta

Bern how is Notaustraliaville

Edit: You know what, this thread really could do with more posts that aren't one line. I'm gonna try and do my part from now on.

Who else is working on the weekend? YEEEEAH COOL KIDS CLUB

Fusebox

Banned
Sutton Dagger said:
Two guys in a Van just tried to sell me a 'heaps cheap' 3D TV that they apparently had left over after their Harvey Norman delivery. Like I'm falling for that.

Lol, what brand? I used to get the white-van speaker guys pulling over next to me all the time when I worked in Nth Sydney.

"We got an extra set of speakers here, warehouse over ordered and didn't realise, we even got receipts for $2000, speakers are yours for $200."

The thing is they want you to think they're stolen and you're getting an awesome deal, but really they are only $20 speakers and every set they sell they make profit.

DeathJr said:
If you learn driving in India, you can't crash anywhere in the world. Maybe in China...

Ha! I'd believe that.

jambo

Comic books are so damn expensive in Australia. $39 for 6 new issues =\

DeathJr said:
Why are you taking it personally? It was a joke.

I'm taking it personally?

elfinke said:
How are you enjoying it so far? I bought 2010 day 1, but have avoided getting swept up in this launch so far.

Still haven't finished downloading it ;__; Stupid Internet was slow as balls last night so I have to grab the last 30% when I get home.

DeathJr said:
In my 3 years of driving in Au, I've never had a crash. People have crashed into me, but never the opposite.

If you learn driving in India, you can't crash anywhere in the world. Maybe in China...

I hate that argument. I've never been sick, so why should I bother with health insurance? My house has never been broken in to, so why should I bother with contents insurance? My house has never burnt down, why bother with home insurance.

Just because something has never happened, doesn't mean it never will. Oh yes, mark my words, DeathJr, your day of reckoning is coming. When an evil wind will blow through your little playworld, and wipe that smug smile off your face. And I'll be there, in all my glory, watching, watching as it all comes crumbling down.

Bernbaum

Gazunta said:
Bern how is Notaustraliaville

Edit: You know what, this thread really could do with more posts that aren't one line. I'm gonna try and do my part from now on.

Who else is working on the weekend? YEEEEAH COOL KIDS CLUB
The 'dinner items with faces' quotient is significantly higher than back home but I've eaten some of the most amazing food ever. The seafood is incredible.

Oh and I did a science or two.

Gazunta

I don't think I've walked into an Australian comic shop in years, I'm a terrible person. What's the exchange rate like in there nowdays? I haven't bought a book since it was like two and a half times cover.

But shrug, they have comics on the Internet now!

jambo

Gazunta said:
I don't think I've walked into an Australian comic shop in years, I'm a terrible person. What's the exchange rate like in there nowdays? I haven't bought a book since it was like two and a half times cover.

Well the $2.99 issues are normally $4.50 or more, so it's pretty annoying =\

Jintor

jambo said:
I hate that argument. I've never been sick, so why should I bother with health insurance? My house has never been broken in to, so why should I bother with contents insurance? My house has never burnt down, why bother with home insurance.

Just because something has never happened, doesn't mean it never will. Oh yes, mark my words, DeathJr, your day of reckoning is coming. When an evil wind will blow through your little playworld, and wipe that smug smile off your face. And I'll be there, in all my glory, watching, watching as it all comes crumbling down.

Tumbling down, tumbling down tumbling doooo-wnnnn...

Bernbaum

Gazunta said:

But shrug, they have comics on the Internet now!
But the happy friendly people at Comics etc. are cool dudes and they've got a damn good catalogue. Makes me feel guilty every time I download something on Comixology.

Choc

Banned
Jintor said:
I've had a debit card since the... second last year of High School, I think.

Never had a credit card.

good luck getting a home loan then if you don't take any personal loans

banks dont give 500,000 dollar loans without proof you can manage debt

Savings, schmavings. They care about that but mostly about debt management

Bernbaum

markot said:
The head of a Christian schools group has defended the practice of having students sing an alternative religious version of the national anthem.

Instead of the official second verse of Advance Australia Fair, the alternative verse reads: "With Christ our head and cornerstone, we'll build our nation's might."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-23/christian-schools-changing-the-national-anthem/2939594
Now there are two versions of the anthem that I don't know the words to.

jambo

markot said:
The head of a Christian schools group has defended the practice of having students sing an alternative religious version of the national anthem.

Instead of the official second verse of Advance Australia Fair, the alternative verse reads: "With Christ our head and cornerstone, we'll build our nation's might."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-23/christian-schools-changing-the-national-anthem/2939594

NkMYZ.jpg

Choc said:

I have a mortgage and have never had a credit card.

Had one loan in my life and paid it off about 10 years ago.

BOOM!

Choc said:
No credit card but I do have a loan for my gf's engagement ring since I couldn't be bothered waiting until I had the cash together a few weeks. They continually offer me and extra $10,000 credit. I DON'T WANT ANY MORE NON FREE MONEY.

Fredescu

Choc said:

Is that actually true in Australia? They seem to talk about that more in the US than here.

a credit history of some sort is always helpful. even if it's just a card or two. If you've paid them ok and not defaulted, it looks better than someone with absolutely no credit history at all.

edit- not saying it can't be done, just that it will be easier. Especially if there's a credit squeeze due to the world economy. I'm sure getting a loan was easier in 2006 (when I took out my mortgage) than it would be in 2011.

senahorse

I use a credit card for everything I possibly can, Amex first and Visa second. I get points for it (nearly reached my 50,000 point limit for the year...yikes), and 30 days to pay the balance. If you do it right you are much better off for it, while I am not paying interest on credit card purchases my money is earning interest in the bank. Sure you might say it's not a great deal of interest but it all adds up.

Ydahs

Deeku

x3n05 said:
I use a credit card for everything I possibly can, Amex first and Visa second. I get points for it (nearly reached my 50,000 point limit for the year...yikes), and 30 days to pay the balance. If you do it right you are much better off for it, while I am not paying interest on credit card purchases my money is earning interest in the bank. Sure you might say it's not a great deal of interest but it all adds up.
Link that shit up to a frequent flyer program and get free airfairs!

Chocs half right I guess, but Jint is like 20 so I don't think he really needs a credit card.

Oh and can I play minecraft with you guys too?:D

Fredescu

x3n05 said:
This is exactly what I do. If you use the points to pay off the card, it's basically free money.

Yagharek

DeathJr said:
Wow, I hope I don't have to sing that next year when I take my citizenship oath.

Hah, you won't. Australia is at least on paper a secular society, so you will be able to swear on whatever book you want or none at all.

As an aside, I am completely unsurprised that this story is from Perth. There is some kind of strange time bubble around the city that means it is moving in a slower time stream than the rest of the country (world?).

At least Tasmania is far more progressive than much of the country these days. That makes me proud. The sooner WA secedes so we no longer need to be associated with that backwards lump of sand, the better.

Choc

Banned
jambo said:
Now, now Planet_JASE, there's no need to bring facts and logic in to this.

his point actually backs me up. He had a loan.

If you've never had a personal loan or credit card, banks won't give you a home loan as they don't know you can manage debt

go ask ANY loan adviser from one of the big 4. They will tell you this.

Fredescu said:
Is that actually true in Australia? They seem to talk about that more in the US than here.
No. Defence would like to present Exhibit A in our case: Me.

When I got my mortgage (this year) they did not care about credit history (outside of a bad one, I can only assume). All they really, really, really, really cared about was how much I was earning and my tenure at my current job.

The biggest hassle I encountered with my mortgage was applying for the first home buyers grant. That was 10 times the pain in my ass.

Choc said:
his point actually backs me up. He had a loan.

If you've never had a personal loan or credit card, banks won't give you a home loan as they don't know you can manage debt

go ask ANY loan adviser from one of the big 4. They will tell you this.
If any bank is taking 10 year ago me on a $4000 loan as an indicator of current me's ability to manage anything it is a greater indication on their ability to manage their business.

Choc

Banned
you posted you had a loan therefore you have credit history. dun dun DUN.

therefore you have credit history.......

if you've never had a car loan, credit card, post paid phone account etc you do not have a file with credit ratings agencies

if the first application hitting your credit rating is a home loan, the bank is going to get a bit worried.

Also for those who have mortgages, go and get your credit report sometime.

Deeku

I am not a loan expert, but I would think that ability to pay back the loan now is more important than having paid a loan off in the past.

Bad credit history is a different story.

Yagharek

Choc said:
you posted you had a loan therefore you have credit history. dun dun DUN.

therefore you have credit history.......

if you've never had a car loan, credit card, post paid phone account etc you do not have a file with credit ratings agencies

if the first application hitting your credit rating is a home loan, the bank is going to get a bit worried.

Also for those who have mortgages, go and get your credit report sometime.

A damn good savings record is as good as a credit record.

edit: choc giving me ANZ ads on the neogaf

edit 2: I had a quick look at the intro to Xenoblade up to the first gameplay battles. Ive read some previews and reviews. I don't quite know why, but I'm getting a Chrono Trigger quality vibe from it.

And I wont be able to play it properly for a month. >.<

Yagharek

From the ABC comments on the christian anthem farce comes this gem:

If they can bend the national anthem to their agenda, why can't others?

How about this for example:

We welcome all the atheists who live within our shores
And praise the struggling gay theists that every church ignores
The Buddhists and the Hindus practice values that we share
Embracing all religions we Advance Australia Fair.

Gazunta

Bernbaum said:
But the happy friendly people at Comics etc. are cool dudes and they've got a damn good catalogue. Makes me feel guilty every time I download something on Comixology.
Yeah, I'll always have a soft spot for that place, mostly because I worked at their sister store for like five years
instead of going to high school
and they were the first place that sold my
crappy
mini-comics. Plus they do a damn good job of making a friendly, clean comic shop that supports quality titles.

Hey, does anyone know if there's a comic shop in the Helensvale area?

Dead Man

Choc said:

I will skip the rest of the argument, and agree a credit history is important, but nothing like the US with a score and everything. Also, anyone who has a phone in their own name has a credit history, most providers do a credit check if you are going postpaid.

Top Bottom