• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

RandomVince said:
I like to define ethnicity or Continent of Origin by geological terms. Since the subcontinent decided to cause a ruckus by colliding as it did, the inhabitants have no choice but to be recognised as Asian.

When Australia runs into SE-Asia in a few hundred million years, we will have to hand over our Oceania cards and accept our new Asian status as well.

If you go by how many Asians are settled in foreign countries, pretty much the whole world is one giant Asia.

Yagharek

DeathJr said:
If you go by how many Asians are settled in foreign countries, pretty much the whole world is one giant Asia.

If you go by genetics, we're all Africans.

Australian Aboriginals and modern day Africans are a bit different though. Every other race has some Neanderthal DNA mixed in too, but Africans and Aboriginals do not.

Ydahs

I've never heard anyone refer to Indians as Asian. They (along with Pakistanis and Sri Lankans) usually get called Indian.

Hey, when did I become a member? Aww Jintor shall be pissed.

Wasn't GAF supposed to send me a congratulatory email about my change in membership? "Call a stripper and get drunk, you're no longer a Junior.....DeathJr."

Yagharek

DeathJr said:
Yes, just like everyone is Australia is an immigrant, unless they are Aboriginal.

Aboriginals are immigrants too. They just got here 70,000 years before the British.

edit:

Reading up on a major event 70,000 years ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory

Major volcanic eruption in Indonesia which they reckon caused serious population crashes and genetic bottlenecks. It's also about the same time that early humans were wandering out of Africa.

Migration after Toba

It is currently not known where human populations were living at the time of the eruption. The most plausible scenario is that all the survivors were populations living in Africa, whose descendants would go on to populate the world. However, recent archeological finds, mentioned above, have suggested that a human population may have survived in Jwalapuram, Southern India.[45]
Recent analyses of mitochondrial DNA have set the estimate for the major migration from Africa from 60,000–70,000 years ago,[46] around 10–20,000 years earlier than previously thought, and in line with dating of the Toba eruption to around 66,000–76,000 years ago. During the subsequent tens of thousands of years, the descendants of these migrants populated Australia, East Asia, Europe, and finally the Americas.

I wonder if the Aboriginals got here before or slightly after the Toba event?

Ydahs

It's amazing to think that, aside from influences in the North from Indonesians, the Aboriginals' way of life was unchanged for thousands of years.

... also kind of sad how much changed for them in just over 230 years.

Yagharek

Ydahs said:
It's amazing to think that, aside from influences in the North from Indonesians, the Aboriginals' way of life was unchanged for thousands of years.

... also kind of sad how much changed for them in just over 230 years.

It's an absurdly long period of time. Unimaginable, actually.

I wonder in a hypothetical world, what would have happened if the first Europeans rocked up and instead of seeing a society of hunter-gatherers, had instead found a highly advanced technological society that had lasers and flying cars instead.

My guess is they would have kept on silently sailing towards Hawaii.

RandomVince said:
I wonder in a hypothetical world, what would have happened if the first Europeans rocked up and instead of seeing a society of hunter-gatherers, had instead found a highly advanced technological society that had lasers and flying cars instead.

They would have realized that they have landed on Mayan shores instead of Australia.

Yagharek

Asian/European etc are all pretty broad terms though. It says nothing about the diversity in a given continent. Hell, sometimes even a country can have a lot of different ethnic groups. Two examples come to mind to illustrate the point.

First is China - apparently there are more ethnic groups in China than there are nations in Europe. The second is Australia, specifically the Aboriginals. There are something like 70 different nations within it.

You would expect a lot of differences again throughout South America, Native Americans, India, Indonesia, Africa and of course Europe.

It also gets down to a matter of which is which in the border regions, such as in the former USSR republics closer to the Middle East, and all the way over in Siberia. Who is Asian? Who is European?

It's not linear at all.

Yagharek

midonnay said:
^^^^^ we're special

can you be immigrants in unclaimed land?

Has the definition of the word ever been tested in reality?

Only one way to find out for sure - I'm off to declare my status as an Antarctican.

Clipper

Optimus is now hiding under a new layer of LEGO... :(

photo-52.jpg

Also, this thing is going to be much bigger than I thought :/

Echoplx

Take that back, no good games on there yet >.>

Oh god I'm one of those people complaining about free things :(

What legal implications are there for breaking an NDA? Just curious as I may talk about it at some point :p

Salazar said:
That's just not true, though.

Man, I just spent way too much on sneakers. Online shopping is dangerous stuff.

Oh yeah? What'd you get?
After visiting the Nike shop in Paris I've become a bit obsessed. Bought a pair of dunks today.

Clipper

And stage 1 (of 7) complete!

photo-53.jpg

Admiral Piett is doing a pretty poor job of trying to hide The Emperor's hologram under his hat, though...

photo-54.jpg

Just posting that one as I only just figured out what it was. I thought it was meant to be one of the little droids at first, but couldn't figure out why it has an Emperor-ish outline.

Kerrby

Banned
DeathJr said:
Hey, when did I become a member? Aww Jintor shall be pissed.

Wasn't GAF supposed to send me a congratulatory email about my change in membership? "Call a stripper and get drunk, you're no longer a Junior.....DeathJr."

You'll always be somewhat of a Jr and littler than all of us ;)
except jambo ;D

Salazar

Top to bottom

Feit - Pntha [Low cork white]. Australian company I figured it would be good to support. They warn that the cork isn't going to last forever.

Baretto - Creative Recreation.

KR3W - Franklin.

Yagharek

Fuck, now I really want a lego set. I love space, but star wars is rubbish.
Is the lego space shuttle any good I wonder, or do I go for a deluxe lego space police or something?

My favourite as a kid was the ITG Mission Commander.

Clipper

It's got a spine now...
photo-55.jpg

Who knew that Vader's Super Star Destroyer was so colourful on the inside?

Oh, and here's a close-up pic just for DeathJr...
photo-56.jpg

Yagharek

Star Wars is worse than the Matrix sequels. There, I said it.

And you know what always bothered me: at the end of TESB, the empire dudes said that the rebels could be "anywhere in the galaxy now" after they escaped at lightspeed.

At most they would've been a few million km away. But that's being pedantic.

Star Wars is one of the few films that has gotten consistently worse with age. It may have been great in the 80s, but now it ranks between aliens 4 and the most recent films by m night shymalan.

Cohsae

RandomVince said:

Star Wars is one of the few films that has gotten consistently worse with age. It may have been great in the 80s, but now it ranks between aliens 4 and the most recent films by m night shymalan.
No.
NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Dead Man

RandomVince said:

And you know what always bothered me: at the end of TESB, the empire dudes said that the rebels could be "anywhere in the galaxy now" after they escaped at lightspeed.

At most they would've been a few million km away. But that's being pedantic.

Hyperspace dude, hyperspace.

Top Bottom