• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Rahk

Everyone should check out the new TV series, Person Of Interest.

Written by Jonathan Nolan and J.J. Abrams is Executive Producer.

Also has this guy in it:

4OyYN.jpg

evlcookie said:
Port forward or something like that? I've only used it like once to see if i could stream HD content over wifi to the ps3, you can't!

Why can't you stream HD over wifi to the PS3? I do it all the time...1080p works flawlessly.

Axiom

I have an issue where if I have Hamachi installed for Minecraft, the PS3 media server no longer works.

This is a pain if I want to watch Doctor Who and play Minecraft on the same day

But it could be some kind of Java conflict like that

Dead Man

So... Saints Row 3. Assuming I NEED it day one since I am a junkie for SR2, JB Maximum Pleasure Edition for $109 is the one to get?

Echoplx

There's different standards of wireless: b/g/n with n being the fastest.

With a cat5 cable you can stream over a 1Gb (100mb/s) connection where as a wireless connection would be 300Mb (30mb/s) max. And saying '1080p runs fine' is very vague because every encode has a different bit rate therefore different requirements for streaming smoothly.

Also wireless always has much more overhead the cable so it's even slower again.

Not that any of this really helps anyone, jet felt like typing :p

Echoplx

Well the last time I used PS3 Media Server was a few years ago so I don't really know what it's like anymore, sounds like it's improved a lot. Legends problem sounds more like a codec issue to me though, maybe just a bug?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Kooka's country cookies never fail to make me feel fucking amazing. So delicious.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
DeathJr said:
I've streamed 1080P videos taken from my phone on the Ps3, they play without stuttering.

Oh your phone, not very exciting bitrate on those i wouldn't have thought.

It seems like none of the PS3s actually have wireless N, How strange.

Neverender said:
Are they available at Coles? You guys convinced me to get some after work.

Yep, that's where I picked them up. $3.99.

Salazar said:

Didn't they threaten to do this a few months ago as well? There was news about people trying on clothes in stores and then ordering them online instead...and the retailers threatened this kind of action.

How can anyone 'force' a store owner to charge that? 0_o

Agyar

evlcookie said:
Oh your phone, not very exciting bitrate on those i wouldn't have thought.

It seems like none of the PS3s actually have wireless N, How strange.

You can't stream a high bitrate 720p video over wireless G, which means you either need to connect the PS3 via ethernet or a wireless N bridge. I tried making a wireless N bridge out of an Asus router with DD-WRT a while ago but it had issues and these days I'm using a Netgear 500 ethernet over power device that gets about the same bandwidth as wireless N (plus better ping).

Salazar

DeathJr said:
How can anyone 'force' a store owner to charge that? 0_o

He just means that he's been driven into a paranoid belief that everyone who inspects goods but doesn't buy them is racing home to purchase online.

$30 "explanation fee" is a very solid indication that Craig is a dickhead.

Choc

Banned
Salazar said:
He just means that he's been driven into a paranoid belief that everyone who inspects goods but doesn't buy them is racing home to purchase online.

I wouldn't say everyone is doing it but some people are no doubt.

When the apple store does not charge for advice or even to fix your shit...

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT BUDDY.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Agyar said:
You can't stream a high bitrate 720p video over wireless G, which means you either need to connect the PS3 via ethernet or a wireless N bridge. I tried making a wireless N bridge out of an Asus router with DD-WRT a while ago but it had issues and these days I'm using a Netgear 500 ethernet over power device that gets about the same bandwidth as wireless N (plus better ping).

Yea. I knew you couldn't stream 1080p over wireless G. I tried to stream a HD MKV with a bitrate of 10k or whatever it was, It played it but skipped a good chunk of frames as well.

I figured with Wireless N it shouldn't be an issue but as i just found out, There's no PS3 units with wireless N.

I'm not trying to stream anything over wireless anyway. That was just me being curious if it worked or not.

Wireless, when I've tried it, seems to send the packets in bursts rather than a steady stream. If you have enough buffering, your media player might be OK, but it just seemed to me that it's much easier to run a cable so when your neighbour decides they want wireless, you don't have to worry that it's going to interfere.

That said, the highest bitrate you'd see on a BluRay is like 60Mb/s, and g ought to be able to do 54Mb/s so theoretically you should be able to play almost anything. In practice, notsomuch.

Parties are hard work. I was the only one drinking beer :(
hootcakenkkw.jpg

Hadn't opened up the BBQ since the move so it turned out that some water had got in and rusted the hot plate. Of course it is an odd size that my father-in-law bought for us last Christmas so nowhere in town had replacements. Thankfully I could just flip the thing over and it worked fine.
Had about a quarter tank of gas left. Turned it on and heated it up so I could clean off all the crap from last time it was used, which took about an hour with interruptions. Chucked the first batch of sausages on (including some home made venison/chicken ones that a painter at work had given me) and about 3 minutes in it died. Fuck. Quick trip out to Barbecues Galore to get a refill for $20 and back into action.

I FUCKING LOVE MEAT
meatymeatmeatmj9u.jpg

Plenty of leftovers for the next few days. Will polish off this tray tonight. So good.

Little guy had a great time and stayed up all day. Everytime someone brought out a present he instantly knew it was for him and got real excited. He likes trucks. He also got one of those Cookie Monsters that you feed cookies and they go into his backpack. Thinks it is brilliant.

Shaneus said:
Oh, you have to be fucking kidding me.
f4e6mb.jpg
wtf, hasn't it been out on 360/PS3 for some time now?

THESE Kookas do it for me
5362978301_69c2a56ab4.jpg

Started playing MW2 yesterday. So far it does not measure up to the incredible experience COD4 gave me. The first 2 levels so far have been boring and straightforward. I really like the setting and the reloading animations are still the most enjoyable out of any FPS I have played but hopefully it picks up the pace and level design sooner rather than later.

Echoplx

codswallop said:
That said, the highest bitrate you'd see on a BluRay is like 60Mb/s, and g ought to be able to do 54Mb/s so theoretically you should be able to play almost anything. In practice, notsomuch.

G does 54 Mbps not mb/s, so in theory G can actually handle around 5mb/s but usually is much lower thanks to overhead.

Agyar

codswallop said:
Wireless, when I've tried it, seems to send the packets in bursts rather than a steady stream. If you have enough buffering, your media player might be OK, but it just seemed to me that it's much easier to run a cable so when your neighbour decides they want wireless, you don't have to worry that it's going to interfere.

Doesn't really work like that. G is 54mbps but due to the way it works in terms of error correction and sending/receiving you realistically get about 20mbps throughput.

You need up to about triple that to stream high bitrate HD (720p or 1080p) content in my experience.

Clipper

Been playing Xenoblade all day, but did a little bit more LEGO afterwards. The central section and sides are beginning to take shape, with a ton of detail:
photo-62.jpg

And here's the massively out of scale control centre:
photo-63.jpg

Now it's time to eat, but I might do a little more after that and before Doctor Who...

Shaneus

The Kookas are all about the simpleness of a jam and shortbread biscuit. No chocolate, no chunks of anything, just gooey jam and that buttery, crunchy biscuit.

PS. Go Geelong. Grand finalists FTW. Watched the match at my sister's place, managed to snap this photo of my youngest nephew:
7wrO8.jpg

Admittedly, I had more fun playing with him than watching the game. Kid just never stops smiling and giggling!

midonnay

funny thing about after the game though..... this drunken geelong fan felt my arse...no joke....

as he had a bunch of drunken louts with him....all I could do was smile nervously >_>

I think I'll take off the eagles scarf after leaving the seat from now on....

reptilescorpio said:
Started playing MW2 yesterday. So far it does not measure up to the incredible experience COD4 gave me. The first 2 levels so far have been boring and straightforward. I really like the setting and the reloading animations are still the most enjoyable out of any FPS I have played but hopefully it picks up the pace and level design sooner rather than later.

It will pick up, but the game is mostly a set piece cluster fuck. There is one mission in Washington DC that is pretty cool (you'll see why) and off course the controversial 'No russian' level. Try the spec-ops mode, for me that is the sole reason to own MW2.

Also, congratulations on the little one's first birthday.

Deeku

midonnay said:
funny thing about after the game though..... this drunken geelong fan felt my arse...no joke....

as he had a bunch of drunken louts with him....all I could do was smile nervously >_>

I think I'll take off the eagles scarf after leaving the seat from now on....
Was it a quick grope, or a nice long grab?

Also, you're a guy right? Because if you're a chick, I retract my question.

midonnay

about a second and a half.... >_>

then he started pulling on the scarf

I'm a guy >_<

he was pretty drunk like slurring speech

btw.... I posted after the magpies game that this pies fan came up and gave me a hug.... strange coincidence.

midonnay

^^^^^ :p

Anyone following catch of the day? This tuesday they will have some neat offers..

PS3 Slim $199
3DS $129
BenQ 20" LCD $49
Galaxy S2 $499
Garmin 3.5" GPS $49
Nerf Longstrike $6

is that australian dollars? :O

Top Bottom