• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Yagharek

DeathJr said:
Footy is the national sport? Nobody outside of Victoria gives 2 shits about it...

It's the most watched sport in WA, SA, Tas, NT and Vic. And most played in most of them too. (I think soccer is gaining quickly).

NRL is just a strange NSW/QLD fascination, in Australia at least.

That said, I'm looking to go see my first a-league games this year.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
DeathJr said:
Anyone and everyone I know from outside of VIC does not care for footy.

Then you are wrong :)

You know kerrrby!

SA is footy mad, I can't speak for the other states ( I understand Tas and WA are) but SA is just AFL mad

Fogz

legend166 said:
On another note - is anywhere here buying Lord of the Rings: War in the North?

I want to buy it, but from the sounds of it it's best played in co-op.

It's Steamworks, and you can currently pre-order it from GMG for $37.

Yeah I have been interested in this game. Probably won't preorder it juuuuust yet though, the last Lord of the Rings: Whatsy game looked good too (but it wasn't)

RandomVince said:
It's the most watched sport in WA, SA, Tas, NT and Vic. And most played in most of them too. (I think soccer is gaining quickly).

NRL is just a strange NSW/QLD fascination, in Australia at least.

Aren't those irrelevant on Ausgaf? :p

HolyCheck said:
You know kerrrby!

He said he lives close to Melbourne :/

Kerrby

Banned
HolyCheck said:
Just walked back from woolies with a carton of beer!

Will probably be drinking alone lol

have some semi friends who are up at melb for the weekend and i said they could join me but i dunno if htey will

also I realised i live like one street over from collingwood >_> every damn store has colours up

Which type of beer? I also will be watching alone, unfortunately :(. Also... my alcohol is gone... Nooooo!

RandomVince said:

A-League games are awesome, the atmosphere is amazing!

HolyCheck

Kerrby said:
Which type of beer? I also will be watching alone, unfortunately :(. Also... my alcohol is gone... Nooooo!

Carlton Draught

was the best / cheapest things in cans and I was carrying it back in my backpack so needed cans!

jambo

DeathJr said:
Anyone and everyone I know from outside of VIC does not care for footy.

AFL destroys every other code in Australia in terms of attendance, membership, TV viewership and profits.

Yagharek

DeathJr said:
Aren't those irrelevant on Ausgaf? :p

Which state do you live in, and have you been to any others in the country?

WA is football mad (and mad in general). Tas has the highest rate of participation in australian rules football (and victoria was settled by tasmanians so respect your elders). NT has a ridiculously strong interest in the sport, especially in the indigenous population. SA is pretty much like WA, and Victoria of course is mad for it.

In contrast, NRL teams have been tried and failed in WA, SA and only one has been tried in Victoria (and that wound up cheating).

You can care or not care about AFL, thats fine but thats a different argument. What is inarguable at the moment is that AFL is the most popular competition in Australia, and dwarfs NRL by comparison.

Hell, even North Melbourne gets better crowds than most NRL games. And games played in Launceston are usually on par with suburban sydney games. And that's the smallest capacity ground too.

I've also seen TFL (tas state league) grand finals back in the 90s that had larger crowds than a lot of nrl games today. :p

Kerrby

Banned
HolyCheck said:
Carlton Draught

was the best / cheapest things in cans and I was carrying it back in my backpack so needed cans!

Good stuff, better than Fosters and VB. I suspect we'll be seeing an incoherent HolyCheck by the end of the day, posting his ramblings somewhat similar to Kritz.

midonnay

DeathJr said:
You googled that just now, didn't you? Officially it is.

uhm no.... been watching hockey in the olympics for yonks....

also this fucking stupid bollywood movie called Chak De! India >_<

the elites say hockey but the plebs on the street say cricket.

trinest

Sports full stop suck, I don't care if some delisional Victorians think everyone cares about their sport either. The sports are just men running around playing with balls- its one big gay eufimism and the beers people drink at the sports are redicliously bogan. I shall have no part in your sick fantasy that the game is enjoyable.

Yagharek

DeathJr said:
Victoria, only visited Sydney and Gold coast till now.

Well I would highly suggest having a look at Perth sometime in footy season to see how insane the locals are about it. :p

heh, I was going to post this:

midonnay said:
thats like saying hockey is the national sport of india....

Only I was going to phrase it thus:

"thats like saying hockey is the most popular sport in India"

edit: or rugby league in england, or lawn bowls in NZ, or water polo in the usa, or regular hockey in canada, or beach volleyball in brazil, or basketball in south africa, or baseball in japan.

Kerrby

Banned
trinest said:
Sports full stop suck, I don't care if some delisional Victorians think everyone cares about their sport either. The sports are just men running around playing with balls- its one big gay eufimism and the beers people drink at the sports are redicliously bogan. I shall have no part in your sick fantasy that the game is enjoyable.

I think the fatties just hate on the sport because they're no good ;D.

midonnay said:
uhm no.... been watching hockey in the olympics for yonks....

also this fucking stupid bollywood movie called Chak De! India >_<

the elites say hockey but the plebs on the street say cricket.

lol, you watch bollywood movies?

Cricket is like a religion in India (i guess the same way footy is over here).

Firstly the national sport is cricket. It's the only thing the entire country loves.

RandomVince said:
In contrast, NRL teams have been tried and failed in WA, SA and only one has been tried in Victoria (and that wound up cheating).

SA, sure the Rams were a miserable failure. WA on the other hand was tried at a time when the competition should never have expanded and even a popular team in SE Queensland folded. The Reds folded because they were given a huge financial disadvantage, they were forced to pay the other teams airfares for home games, meaning they were always going to fail financially.

Since then they've had a rugby team that is pretty damn popular. In a competition well down the pecking order of Australian sport. (And I'm saying that as a big Super Rugby fan)

The NRL will come back to Perth and I don't doubt for a second it'll succeed.

RandomVince said:
You can care or not care about AFL, thats fine but thats a different argument. What is inarguable at the moment is that AFL is the most popular competition in Australia, and dwarfs NRL by comparison.

The AFL is bigger, sure but dwarfs? Not even close. The NRL gets better TV ratings and has more followers in the most populous and third most populous states. AFL is more popular in more states but not necessarily by that much population wise.

Not to mention the international appeal of league with a NZ team (in the final) and a push for a PNG team.

You're 100% right about attendance though. At least in Sydney. It's a fucking disgrace how many people turn up to some games in Sydney. Yet another reason a couple of NSW teams should be moved. Perth Sharks has a nice ring to it doesn't it? Port Moresby Bulldogs?

midonnay

nrl gets better tv ratings because of people staying home to watch rather than going to the game :/

In WA the waiting list for a WCE membership is many thousands long

HolyCheck

Saturday's St Kilda v Collingwood replay at the MCG was watched by a five-city audience of 2.68 million people on average over its three hours. That was down slightly from the previous week, when the first grand final attracted 2.76 million viewers.

Yesterday's NRL grand final between St George Illawarra and Sydney Roosters was watched by an average five-city audience of 2.09 million viewers.

k

midonnay said:
nrl gets better tv ratings because of people staying home to watch rather than going to the game :/

Memberships have only just really become a thing in the last two years that NRL teams really push for. I don't know why it's taken so long for them to realise they are important.

Kerrby

Banned
midonnay said:

Exactly, how many times has the NRL got 100,000 people to their games?

Yagharek

FallbackPants said:
The AFL is bigger, sure but dwarfs? Not even close. The NRL gets better TV ratings and has more followers in the most populous and third most populous states. AFL is more popular in more states but not necessarily by that much population wise.

Not to mention the international appeal of league with a NZ team (in the final) and a push for a PNG team.

You're 100% right about attendance though. At least in Sydney. It's a fucking disgrace how many people turn up to some games in Sydney. Yet another reason a couple of NSW teams should be moved. Perth Sharks has a nice ring to it doesn't it? Port Moresby Bulldogs?

Dwarfs is the right word: attendance, participation and tv audience are far bigger for AFL than NRL. As is the case with club membership.

Plus, AFL hasnt been corrupted by News Ltd (yet) as per the super league debacle. So as a competition, it has generally been far better run for the fans. (It is becoming unfortunately more corporatised of course).

Kerrby said:
Exactly, how many times has the NRL got 100,000 people to their games?

Let alone close to 120,000

Yagharek

Just on grand finals, it's been a lucky decade so far as close contests go.

2002, 05, 06, 08, 09 and 10 all had amazingly close games. In the 90s, every single one was a blowout pretty much.

midonnay

the tv ratings argument depends whether you're counting just capital cities or including regional areas too I think....also iirc NRL is more successful on paytv

Yagharek

Choc said:
to be fair there is no NRL venue that can hold 100,000

Because its not economical to have one. The Olympic stadium originally had capacity for >100k, but was cut back because it would never hold that many or couldnt be justified to remain as such.

MCG has the demand and if prices weren't an issue a la the 2010 GF replay, it would top 100k regularly in GFs. 2008 did. Imagine another match between any of calrton/collingwood/essendon or hawks/geelong.

edit: whoo meatloaf. Maybe we should take this discussion to the AFL thread >.<

HolyCheck said:
Saturday's St Kilda v Collingwood replay at the MCG was watched by a five-city audience of 2.68 million people on average over its three hours. That was down slightly from the previous week, when the first grand final attracted 2.76 million viewers.

Yesterday's NRL grand final between St George Illawarra and Sydney Roosters was watched by an average five-city audience of 2.09 million viewers.

k
Of course it did. It was a replay of a tied game. That happens what, once every 50 years? People are going to be way more interested in that than a regular grand final.

And in 09 the NRL outrated the AFL.

RandomVince said:
Dwarfs is the right word: attendance, participation and tv audience are far bigger for AFL than NRL. As is the case with club membership.

Plus, AFL hasnt been corrupted by News Ltd (yet) as per the super league debacle. So as a competition, it has generally been far better run for the fans. (It is becoming unfortunately more corporatised of course).

Let alone close to 120,000

There aren't any rectangular stadia in Australia that hold that many. But they sell out the 80k ANZ Stadium and sold it out before the reconfiguration when it fit 100,000+

And I haven't seen any participation rates. I would actually really like to if you know where they are.

But again, in 2010 the NRL outrated the AFL. I actually can't find a link for this, but I'm looking

midonnay

there is a huge rugby supporter base in regional qld and NSW hence the AFL alway using 5 city averages to support their argument....

edit: jurassic park back to the future

Top Bottom