• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Choc

Banned
Gazunta said:
Oh absolutely Omi, but I don't know if 'popularising' is the right word for it. I need a word that means "presenting existing tech (and combining it with new ideas) in such a way that it works without needing to know how it works, in order to drive up demand and potential for use'

Not every Apple product is a good one, personally I can't see the point of the Macbook Air, but they hit a lot of home runs.

i love the macbook air its so good for people who travel a lot

Omikron

Gazunta said:
Oh absolutely Omi, but I don't know if 'popularising' is the right word for it. I need a word that means "presenting existing tech (and combining it with new ideas) in such a way that it works without needing to know how it works, in order to drive up demand and potential for use'

Not every Apple product is a good one, personally I can't see the point of the Macbook Air, but they hit a lot of home runs.

That bit in quotes sounds like a very marketing slant on popularisation through presentation. ;)

Rahk

codswallop said:
I don't know a lick of Korean, no more than you'd pick up in a few days in a foreign country (and since most South Koreans speak excellent English, virtually none), but it seemed like the grammatical structure was pretty similar to me? It's based on the letters making sounds which make up words, just like English. It's not tonal like Thai and doesn't have characters that are actually words like in Chinese. Compared to them as an English speaker with almost no other language skills, it seems pretty easy.
Not sure how this is related to grammatical structure?

elfinke

Choc said:
so its $799, down $70 since the iphone4

despite the fact the AUD was 84c during that launch and is now 95c-$1

fucking apple

also
check this out

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...ging-australians/story-e6freuzi-1226158477305

NSW fair trading says itunes is gouging australians lol

I thought this disparity had already been sorted out, or was that more to do with the apps side of iTunes?

I'm locked into the iTunes ecosystem and I'm not ready to give it up just yet. Android almost swayed me last time my phone contracts were up.

/edit Gez, yep. Tonight even, if you're lucky. I've been checking Whirlpool for news of a street date break.

Choc

Banned
brad on twitter from giantbomb said no go on rage

deary me

edit: Alan Joyce is killing QANTAS. Next time I go OS I will not fly them unless work forces me to.

I am a gold FF and what he has done to the company is shocking. The fleet is so old (bar the A380s and most recent 747) and the IFE's are so far behind the competition its not funny.

Gazunta

But saying Apple's products are just popular because of marketing is frankly pretty dismissive of the power of marketing. It's an important part of the overall product. If people don't know a device can do something, they won't be interested in it.

Case in point as I said above I'm in the market for an Android phone for the wife, who hates her iPhone 3G with a fiery passion. Yet I have to ask on AusGAF what's a good Android phone and frankly I have no idea what Android 'does' besides the assumption that it offers really good Google integration. And I'm a huge Google fanboy, I should know this!

Shaneus

I was going to buy a new iPhone if there was to be a different/upgraded form factor. Given that the upgraded stuff I really only give a shit about with Apple's announcement is software and not hardware related, I'll stick with my 3GS until either an amazing deal comes along for 4S or some rock-solid info on the next form factor iPhone is released.

Maybe I'll celebrate by buying a new case or something.

As my iPhone 4 isn't very old I'm going to wait for the next revision. There are some interesting features in the 4gs though. Obviously Siri is the big one, the integration across the whole phone sets it apart from other voice recognition offerings (plus it seems a lot more intuitive), it works with Aussie accents as well. The A5 processor is quite an upgrade from the A4. Plus it is classified as an actual 4G phone now, so it can take advantage of Telstra's new network. I don't know what people were expecting?

Yagharek

Eh, my wife is a non techie and got a droid. Experia I think, not the play one. She likes it. And has no interest in Apple phones. Actively did not want one, actually.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It does whatever you want it to do i would guess. It's more open than iOS, runs just about the same shit unless it's iOS designed and it's a phone!

The problem with android is that there's too many flavours out there and a lot of tech guys will simply customise their own phone, with new roms and so on. There's the android thread over in OT which should help you out.

I'm looking to switch to an android phone later on in the year if i can be bothered when the new ones get announced. That depends if i can be bothered though since i barely use my phone anyway.

Fredescu

Gazunta said:
Yet I have to ask on AusGAF what's a good Android phone
Last time I went to a shopping center there were SGS2 posters plastered around every other phone store. Pretty hard to miss.

Frankly, Android and iOS phones do exactly the same function. I feel the iOS design is getting a little long in the tooth now and the Android design is still in flux (check out the 4.0 screenshots, it looks a lot different from 2.x which looks different from 1.x).

The major difference really is that with iOS you're stuck in Apple's walled garden, for better and worse. You have to use iTunes and do what Apple says. With Android you can do whatever you want, but for the best experience will want to link it up with all your Google stuff. The integration really is quite nice. They often come out with nice integration too -- if I now take a photo it automatically uploads straight to Google+ without me needing to do anything, and I even have it scan my photos to see if there's a Google Goggles match, mainly because I can.

Rahk said:
Not sure how this is related to grammatical structure?
Well, I was rambling a bit really, but it seemed to be the way that Korean is structured isn't much different from say ... I dunno ... Sri Lankan. Where you might say "home I am going" (obviously in Sinhalese) as opposed to English where you say "I am going home".

Choc said:
hey im no sheep, i use blackberry
EVERYONE in the US uses Blackberries. Or at least used to...

Also: Human Revolution just arrived, so I know what I'm doing tonight!

Kerrby

Banned
Vook if you're reading this, do you know if Australia gets a pre order bonus for Resident Evil: Revelations like the US does?

Omi said:
Love the shit out of my Galaxy SII... only downer for me is that the battery life is pretty fucking awful. :)

As for the previous paragraphs of Apple love... that is a lot to credit Apple with considering they are just the company that popularises a lot of that tech. Rather than actually innovating so to speak. I mean, my old school Nokia whatever did the vast majority of what iOS/Droid does now years ago.
Hell yeah love the gs2 only 45 a month now on some providers. Fuck mro.

Choc

Banned
roosters93 said:
??? It doesn't have a LTE module though.

sutton has bought into Apples hype and bullshit. it's a HSPDA enabled phone, the first iphone

HSPDA is fast, its not as fast as LTE but its fast. Everyone phone on Telstra Next G bar the iphone has supported it

the iphone now does so now apple is like OH 4G ON 3G speed, yeah no. Yes in the US its a breakthrough, in Australia, nope.

and it does not work on 4G telstra

Choc said:
no doubt cod, its a revision as i said its just not going to have queues going out the door up the street for 5 months like the ip4 did.

but given where teh competition is, its a lot further advanced than 15 months ago and a lot of people are picking android up, not just nerds as well.

i think Apple has really screwed it BUT that siri shit is awesome. Expect an android to haev it next month :p
Android has voice recognition since day one. What delusional world do you live in?

Choc said:
sutton has bought into Apples hype and bullshit. it's a HSPDA enabled phone, the first iphone

HSPDA is fast, its not as fast as LTE but its fast. Everyone phone on Telstra Next G bar the iphone has supported it

the iphone now does so now apple is like OH 4G ON 3G speed, yeah no. Yes in the US its a breakthrough, in Australia, nope.

and it does not work on 4G telstra

HAha bought into their bullshit, I didn't even get it from Apple, someone on a forum mentioned it? I don't know the difference, I'm just stating what they said "it's a 4G phone"?

DeathJr said:
Android has voice recognition since day one. What delusional world do you live in?
Not since day one, and it's nowhere near as integrated into the system as iOS' Voice Assistant intends to be.

With the Assistant, you can supposedly say "Send DeathJr an SMS that I'll be 15 minutes late" and it will do it. Or you can ask "Where is DeathJr", and it'll open up Latitude or whatever. The Android one is a lot more simplistic than that...

Gamers Opt Out said:
Gamers Opt Out is a collective of gamers who are sick of absurd EULAs from game companies. These EULAs have clauses preventing class-action lawsuits, though you can opt out of the clauses by sending a letter. We want to make it easier for everyone to opt out because Sony, EA, et al, believe most people won't bother to. Let's show them they're wrong.

We will make it easy for you to create the letter needed to send to these companies and can even send the letter on your behalf at no cost. All we ask is that if you like what we are doing, spread the word or donate to help with the cost of paper and postage.
http://www.gamersoptout.com/

DeathJr said:
My Android already does that. American accent is easy.
I haven't tried the Android Voice Actions, but are they natural language like the iOS Assistant is meant to be?

With Voice Actions you have to say "send email to [name]" and then dictate it, whereas with the iOS Assistant you can apparently say "send [name] an email to tell them I'll be late" and the whole thing is done.

I don't see it working out as idealistically as it sounds, but if it does it could really be quite handy. Especially if it can understand a great lump of text spouted in quick succession. I sure as hell know my car voice controls can't.

Coeliacus

Checking into another ausgaf thread to get my subscriptions on. Hey there Melbourne Gaf. Any fans of local live music and such?

codswallop said:
Not since day one, and it's nowhere near as integrated into the system as iOS' Voice Assistant intends to be.

With the Assistant, you can supposedly say "Send DeathJr an SMS that I'll be 15 minutes late" and it will do it. Or you can ask "Where is DeathJr", and it'll open up Latitude or whatever. The Android one is a lot more simplistic than that...
Droid works the same way. "send message. Cod. Android is awesome." Watch the magic happen..

Coeliacus said:
Checking into another ausgaf thread to get my subscriptions on. Hey there Melbourne Gaf. Any fans of local live music and such?
I like live music. We had Dead Letter Circus and Frenzal Rhomb here in Warrnambool within a week of each other! It is as if we are almost a real town that people care about!

Crysis is $4 on Steam and Portal 2 is $15.

DeathJr said:
Droid works the same way. "send message. Cod. Android is awesome." Watch the magic happen..
You're missing the (supposed) flexibility of the iOS Assistant. With Android you have to use this stunted speech for the software to understand what you want. With iOS Assistant you (supposedly) can just say in one burst "send DeathJr an email telling him how awesome the iOS Assistant is" and it will do it. Supposedly.

If it actually does manage that, then it's a big improvement to voice recognition software.

DeathJr said:
Siri is nothing but glorified voice recognition, just like face time was glorified video chat.
The US had virtually no mobile video chatting, so FaceTime was actually a big thing for the US market. As we've had real video calling here for ages, it wasn't a big deal at all. Plus, Google Hangouts now works with mobile devices so that's a hundred times better in my opinion. Hangouts is really quite fantastic.

Even if Siri is "glorified", if it does it better than the other guys in a mass market device, why is that exactly a bad thing? Tons of other guys have tried it and failed, if Apple manages to popularise it (and I doubt they will, because most people don't really want voice control IMO) then why should we hate them for that?

Gazunta

The fax machine is nothing but a waffle iron with a phone attached.

Honestly guys, it's super easy to be dismissive of anything.

The PS3 is just a PS2 with 1080, SHRUG SONY FAIL

Top Bottom