• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

remz

hamchan said:
Anyone else here playing Dark Souls beaten the Undead Parish yet?

The normal enemies aren't easy. I have to spend ages circling the red caped skeletons looking for a backstab. Then the guy at the top owns me and I lose all my souls ;_;
The room with the bridge with two archers on it took me so freaking long in the undead parish. I really hated the skellies with the pike/spears and the way they just sit and block. ARGH! Past that whole bit now though and onto the boss, which is schooling me even harder. On the bright side though I destroy those skellies now :)

Aon

hamchan said:
Anyone else here playing Dark Souls beaten the Undead Parish yet?

The normal enemies aren't easy. I have to spend ages circling the red caped skeletons looking for a backstab. Then the guy at the top owns me and I lose all my souls ;_;

Dying repeatedly to Gargoyles, nothing else really getting me anymore ;__;

leca

Pretty keen on having a good weekend :)

Last week I headed off camping for a few days, was a nice break. Anyone else got plans for this weekend? :)

Worst case....Forza demo :p

r1chard

Has anyone flown V Australia to LA? I've done the trip with Qantas a number of times and have had a variable experience (mostly thanks to the working or otherwise entertainment system).

Ob Gaming: very sad, my Ico/SoTC package didn't arrive this weekend :-(

LA Noire: Everyone is a Size 8.

Framerate can be extremely terrible at times.

Very repetitive, even worse than the side missions in the first Assassin's Creed.

Textures are mostly horrible, Mafia 2 shits all over it.

Cole handles like a Jill sandwich. Action is clunky. Again, Mafia 2 did it perfectly.

Should have been a point and click adventure. Sometimes the writing shines through though.

6/10

Shaneus

Shame.

That actually reminds me, I really should try and power through the RDR storyline. Never gave it the time it deserved. Same with Mafia 2.

You know, it almost seems like they could do an awesome Tex Murphy game out of that engine. Wouldn't need to be open world, just... open-ish.

reptilescorpio said:
Thank you gentlemen!
Also Android Market just had an update to make it look more like Win Phone 7... Not sure if like yet.

Edit: Actually it is really damn good. Huge improvement. Much faster too on my SGS2.

That update came out 2 weeks ago.

Ydahs

reptilescorpio said:
Thank you gentlemen!
Also Android Market just had an update to make it look more like Win Phone 7... Not sure if like yet.

Edit: Actually it is really damn good. Huge improvement. Much faster too on my SGS2.
At first it looked messy, but after getting to know it, I think it's a step in the right direction.

Much more intuitive much better than the old design.

Gazunta

r1chard said:
Has anyone flown V Australia to LA? I've done the trip with Qantas a number of times and have had a variable experience (mostly thanks to the working or otherwise entertainment system).
I've had really good experiences the couple of times I did the trip. Power point in every seat, nice staff and snacks aplenty = me happy as rain for 14 hours

Card Boy

Banned
Dumb question but is there anything we can do legally to force EA to stop this anti-consumer region locking garbage? They have offices here in Australia, so their not a foreign company. Is there anything the ACCC can do?

Also the US free trade agreement needs an amendment to include Digital distribution.

EA in Australia is likely an Australian company, not a US company with Australian offices. That's one of the many reasons we have different pricing in Australia.

And with Australia just having signed the ACTA along with most of the other Western world (including the US), things are going to get worse, not better.

Axiom

I...I don't know if I'm cut out for Dark Souls.

I figured if Harvest Moon can make me enjoy being bored, Dark Souls can make me enjoy being kicked in the balls.

Not so far.

Gez said:
Dumb question but is there anything we can do legally to force EA to stop this anti-consumer region locking garbage?
Vote with your wallet. If the game isn't as cheap as you think it should be wait until it hits that price point. Don't force them into paying more than you value it at.

markot

Banned
Gazunta said:
I've had really good experiences the couple of times I did the trip. Power point in every seat, nice staff and snacks aplenty = me happy as rain for 14 hours
What if you dont need to make any presentations? (GET IT POWER POINT!)

hamchan

Axiom said:
I...I don't know if I'm cut out for Dark Souls.

I figured if Harvest Moon can make me enjoy being bored, Dark Souls can make me enjoy being kicked in the balls.

Not so far.

For me it's not the getting kicked in the balls bit that's enjoyable. It's when you finally kill the thing that was continuously kicking you in the balls and knowing you could do it because your skill increased, that's the enjoyable bit. Shouting "Die you piece of shit!!!!" while you're doing it is also enjoyable.

Deeku

It's not like the traditional rpg grinding where you grind levels to beat a boss. Grinding comes in the form of farming drops to upgrade your shit. And it's not mindless grinding either, because you could easily die and lose all your precious souls.

I really hope there's an area in Dark Souls like 5-1 in Demon's Souls where you could easily farm souls and get a tonne of souls to level up.

SOULS!

commanderdeek said:
Mostly time.
Probably not for this working stiff then. Been frustrated enough at having to grind for a little bit at the start of each section of Clash of Heroes, let alone spending hours just to beat some random spawn.

Deeku

codswallop said:
Probably not for this working stiff then. Been frustrated enough at having to grind for a little bit at the start of each section of Clash of Heroes, let alone spending hours just to beat some random spawn.
The thing is, you don't have to grind. I remember only grinding a tiny bit at the beginning of Demon's Souls and more at the end because I wanted to max out my weapon. The time investment comes from learning the game because you die so much.

hamchan

codswallop said:
Sounds to me like Demons/Dark Souls are games for people who have a lot of time to play such games and/or like grinding. Yes?

You can beat Demon's Souls in 20-30 hours easily so it's not that huge of a time sink I think. There's not really much grinding or farming unless you're trying to get a specific high level weapon. Though it can get repetitive if you keep dying and have to do the level over and over :D.

Anyways after one day of playing Dark Souls i'm really impressed by the open world. There's no map or objective markers, no handholding at all. They just tell you to do something and then you hopefully pick the right path; you can tell whether it's the right way by how much you get owned. It's actual true exploration and discovery, something I feel has been missing from modern games.

BanShunsaku said:
Crysis 2 Origin key is $15 on GMG, should I buy it?

Also, mock if old: BF3 preorder is $40

I liked Crysis 2. If it didn't have the story it'd be my GOTY.

edit: gah im fucking starving and fruit isn't cutting it. i think i might need to drive to maccas. gah

Half of me is sold on Dark Souls and the other half just wants to crawl into a hole in the foetal position until it goes away. I'll probably chuck it on the list and pick it up in a quiet time when it's cheap. Still only hearing good things about it.

hamchan

codswallop said:
Half of me is sold on Dark Souls and the other half just wants to crawl into a hole in the foetal position until it goes away. I'll probably chuck it on the list and pick it up in a quiet time when it's cheap. Still only hearing good things about it.

Should buy Demon's Souls since it's really cheap now.

Deeku

hamchan said:
Anyways after one day of playing Dark Souls i'm really impressed by the open world. There's no map or objective markers, no handholding at all. They just tell you to do something and then you hopefully pick the right path; you can tell whether it's the right way by how much you get owned. It's actual true exploration and discovery, something I feel has been missing from modern games.
That sounds really awesome and daunting at the same time. Might have to shelve it and wait until assignments and exams are over.

And yeah Cods, go pick up Demon's Souls for cheap. You're obviously interested, so just give it a shot. Worst that could happen is that you break a controller:D

Choc

Banned
Nexus Prime unveiling delayed from next week to TBA

out of respect for Steve Jobs apparently. They were goign to shit all over the iphone the entire presentation. Not the time, not the time.

Choc said:
Nexus Prime unveiling delayed from next week to TBA

out of respect for Steve Jobs apparently. They were goign to shit all over the iphone the entire presentation. Not the time, not the time.

Late again.
3AQmK.gif

Top Bottom