• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Salazar

Bernbaum said:
There is a Next Byte on Adelaide Street. Our Apple Store is in the bogan-saturated suburb of Chermside - a half hour bus ride north of the city at this time of the week. They'll be shut now.

We got late night shopping in the CBD, but every non-Apple retailers is selling the 4S under plan only afaik.

I believe Apple are the takers for the CBD Borders premises. Soon, Bernbaum. Soon.

Yagharek

markot said:
Wish Cave story was a 3dsware game and not a full retail release >.<

It'd be nice if the DSiWare version was available here too. :(

But given the game has been given away for free on PC all this time, I'm fine with paying for a physical copy.

3chopl0x said:
What PC games actually have online passes currently? Do we even know if Batman for PC will have one?
Batman isn't even coming out on the same day on PC. Indefinite delay to November some time. Hopefully they give us some kind of bonus for being treated as second best like always. They can pull stuff like the Catwoman code on consoles but with the content being in the game a hack for the PC version would eventually turn up to give you the access for free.

Box of Bunnies said:
The Shat is awesome.
You will love the hell out of the new album then. Best musical surprise of the year.

Bernbaum said:
There is a Next Byte on Adelaide Street. Our Apple Store is in the bogan-saturated suburb of Chermside - a half hour bus ride north of the city at this time of the week. They'll be shut now.

We got late night shopping in the CBD, but every non-Apple retailers is selling the 4S under plan only afaik.
Interesting. Cheers. :)

I was thinking you guys have a nice city before as I crossed the Goodwill Bridge.

Bernbaum said:

Interesting. Cheers. :)
I had a play with one at the Telstra shop near king somethingorother station. Wish I had the money to pick one up now, my overseas trip wiped out my savings.

I was thinking you guys have a nice city before as I crossed the Goodwill Bridge.

hamchan

Salazar said:
That blockbuster-and/or-bust guy is straight-up insane.

I'd really like to know which company he works for.

Seems that thread is full of idiots and trolls anyways, better to just abandon the discussion there.

AusGAF, I would like your collective thoughts.

Does your opinion differ between where console games are heading vis-à-vis online passes and once off unlocking content and PC gaming?

If we're approaching this from purely a resale position, the opposition towards this is obvious and further inspection is redundant. However, from any other angle I struggle to make a differentiation.

Basically, aren't console companies just moving towards a Steam/Origin/Whathavyou service, where you purchase the license for that game and do not retain any right to transfer that ownership to anyone else?

Are people unhappy with PC Games having this model? Did it encounter the same resistance when they moved to that model, where previously you didn't have online checks and persistent internet connections? Is this just a situation that all industries moving from one particular business to another face?

legend166

Planet_JASE said:

Does your opinion differ between where console games are heading vis-à-vis online passes and once off unlocking content and PC gaming?

If we're approaching this from purely a resale position, the opposition towards this is obvious and further inspection is redundant. However, from any other angle I struggle to make a differentiation.

Basically, aren't console companies just moving towards a Steam/Origin/Whathavyou service, where you purchase the license for that game and do not retain any right to transfer that ownership to anyone else?

Are people unhappy with PC Games having this model? Did it encounter the same resistance when they moved to that model, where previously you didn't have online checks and persistent internet connections? Is this just a situation that all industries moving from one particular business to another face?

There's a trade off in PC games. And that trade off is lower prices (not for every title, and you still get some moron publishers who don't get it, but prices are generally lower).

I don't care that I can't resell my Steam games - because I buy them for $10-20.

It's the same reason there's no used DVD market anywhere near the level of the used video game market.

The economics are all out of whack.

evlcookie said:
So i've gotten my old mans iPhone 4 which means I should totally fix my mp3s with artwork.

Tools to use?

i found the easiest way (not necessarily quickest)
is to search for the album on amazon, then drag the amazon photo into the itunes artwork window

hamchan said:
Seems that thread is full of idiots and trolls anyways, better to just abandon the discussion there.
Don't be like that Ham! Can't just roll over and let the idiots win. If we discuss the fuck out of a situation then eventually everyone will know all the facts and be able to make a much more informed decision on the situation. Or just ignore the facts and push their own agenda. They will still know that they are doing the wrong thing at least.

Yagharek

Planet_JASE said:

I grew up playing Amiga, Master System, Mega Drive, PS1 and pretty much every console after that. A game I buy is **mine** and it is up to me what I do with it. I will sell it, keep it, snap it in half, lend it to a friend, forget I loaned it at all, mount it in resin for perpetuity or play it every single day of my life should I so choose.

The movement towards a PC model of "lol sucker, you just bought the license /EULA trollface" is the complete antithesis of what gaming and buying games is about. A game, like a good book or film is something you share with other people. We cant make mix tapes with games, but we can lend them to a friend, play it on multiple machines (witness publishers recoiling in horror at that thought) or borrow them from video city.

The PC model is a compromise borne of piracy responses and disc cracking and all sorts of nasties. The console market has always had inbuilt and sufficient "DRM" in the way of being a closed system with unfeasible piracy measures (in many cases, not all obviously). It used to be though that doing so would risk breaking your machine, although personally I have never done this.

I fully believe console gaming is headed down the path of disaster with online passes and whatnot. And it will be worse off for doing so. PS4/XBox 3 will be complete and utter failures if they do so. From a publisher standpoint in many cases and from a gaming variety standpoint also. Wii U will be too if they bow to publisher demands and make it anti-consumer.

Wii succeeded this gen thanks to bringing back arcadey style games with high accessibility. The publisher driven "license" model is diametrically opposed to this model. Just as PC games and arcade games are different beasts, only there is only one market that has ever been truely successful, and that's the arcadey market. Arcade games like Donkey Kong or Mario or Pac Man etc are what bring in the new customers, and when it becomes to complicated or the publishers get aggressive, that market just walks away.

Gaming is about accessibility, and publishers are all about increasing control. One of those two has to give, and it sure as shit won't be the ones spending the money buying said games.

I see one of two futures:
1. Publishers dial it back a bit and start to resume growth which we last saw in 2008 or;
2. They keep finding new and innovative ways to fuck customers, and we go back to 1983.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
I would argue that the vast majority of the population act in this way too. Everyone puts themselves first and does everything possible to get ahead in life regardless of the effect on others, a lot of the time they don't even realise it.

Profit comes first, everything else a distant second.
Profit comes third. Duh!
Gnomes_plan.png

Holy shit, that Queen cover is EPIC. Is the album produced by Ben Folds like that other one he did not so long ago? I always loved his version of Common People. And of course, his Futurama appearance where he did The Real Slim Shady.

Jintor

legend166 said:
There's a trade off in PC games. And that trade off is lower prices (not for every title, and you still get some moron publishers who don't get it, but prices are generally lower).

I don't care that I can't resell my Steam games - because I buy them for $10-20.

It's the same reason there's no used DVD market anywhere near the level of the used video game market.

The economics are all out of whack.

I'm with this guy.

Shaneus said:
Profit comes third. Duh!
Nah mate. That was business back in the pro-consumer days of 1998! Before Lindsay Lohan and Kotaku! This is how the world operates now.
gnomes_plan47jr.png

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! 2011 business burns my eyes! Why have I got all my underpants!?!

Yagharek

Salazar said:
That blockbuster-and/or-bust guy is straight-up insane.

I am thoroughly enjoying your contributions to the topic I must add. If only we could get a reptilescorpio quote fest at the top of the nex page on the topic. cpp_is_king would be a goldmine for said quotes.

Shaneus

Um, holy shit that Queen cover just gets better and better! I must buy that album.

And it features Brian May (amongst others)! Wow. No Ben Folds involvement though, it seems :(

markot

Banned
I wonder how much it costs Nintendo to make a Mario, or the new Zelda >.<

And if they made their money back on Punch out and the like...

They seem to have a nice spread imo.

Choc

Banned
so legend question

if xbox 360 game was $20-$30 and it had a one time code that unlocked it all once you'd be ok like that

like steam u could re-download game on xbl

Jintor

markot said:

Nintendo actually know how to budget. Been reading up on their history recently. They're super fucking conservative finance-wise.

markot said:

They do well enough to not have to close studios left and right like most publishers right now. Would consider them a very stable, smart minded company that continues to carve out a place for itself in the industry that is getting much harder for competitors to cut them out of.

Choc said:
so legend question

if xbox 360 game was $20-$30 and it had a one time code that unlocked it all once you'd be ok like that

Crysis on PS3 for $30 is bullshit. Straight port of a 4 year old game when you can buy the sequel for the same price. If content holders reduced prices in line with what people value them at I would be much happier but XBLA/PSN has a lot of overpriced stuff that was set and forgotten about. At least Steam is proactive at getting my dollar, and tricking me into thinking I have to buy a game because it is much cheaper than I expected it to be.

If there were 360 games available for $10 I would bite on a lot of them just for something to try.

Jintor

I would normally characterise them like that, but I have no idea what they're doing with the 3DS and the Wii U. They probably can't repeat the wide blue ocean strategy again, I think they (and Microsoft and Sony) have eaten that mindspace for at least another half-decade's worth or so. Or perhaps they can, but they need to take a different tack to it.

Shaneus

RandomVince said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31803859&posted=1#post31803859

That's page 31. I advise going back to page 28 and reading from there on.

I'm getting mildly irritated by page 31 (minor quote war) and I cannot believe the sheer audacity of the company nuthuggers posting on there.
Page 31 w/ 50 or 100 p/p?

PS.
no_hope_no_cash_no_jobs_kevin_bacon.jpg

Edit: It's only up to 16, so I'm guessing around page 15 or something. But what the fuck about that guy buying a service? Seriously?!? What a fuck knuckle.

And how did that guy not draw a comparison of theatres to arcades? Wow. That thread is full of fuck (present company excluded).

Edit #whatever:
Salazar said:
It doesn't void the (I would say, presiding) sense in which the game is a good.
I saw "presidog" when I first read that. Fuck you, Gaz. You've ruined my internet.

RandomVince said:
Shaneus, I use 50ppp view.
Only way to roll. Much less shit to populate the screen and makes it quicker to scroll up and down. Plus less bandwidth usage.

markot said:
So like, is Xenoblade impossible to find instore >_<?
Retail don't give a shit about a little title like Xenoblade. Too Japanesey. The blade doesn't have any blood on it for cripes sake! This nice little Mom and Pop hovel can get it to your door step for the agreeable price of $46.

Jintor

I'd love (hate) to see numbers for Ghost Trick. Sigh.

What an amazing game destined to be buried almost immediately.

I'm glad Dark Souls is apparently feeling the love.

legend166

Choc said:
so legend question

I still wouldn't buy them for the same reason I don't buy DD games on consoles now: I have no idea how they will handle things when a new console comes out.

The only used games I buy are the ones I want to play once, never again. It's much better buying a used game, playing it over the week and then selling it off for almost the same price, if not more. This works better than renting.

Obviously the publishers/developers don't get any money from this, but that's how things work. If they want to get paid every time someone plays their game, they got another thing coming. WB are just being greedy and pissing off genuine fans. What if someone does not have internet on the console? They will suffer even if they bought a brand new game.

Online pass for a mp-centric game still makes sense. For a sp-only game, pure bollocks.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
DeathJr said:
The only used games I buy are the ones I want to play once, never again. It's much better buying a used game, playing it over the week and then selling it off for almost the same price, if not more. This works better than renting.

Obviously the publishers/developers don't get any money from this, but that's how things work. If they want to get paid every time someone plays their game, they got another thing coming. WB are just being greedy and pissing off genuine fans. What if someone does not have internet on the console? They will suffer even if they bought a brand new game.

Online pass for a mp-centric game still makes sense. For a sp-only game, pure bollocks.

I only buy used games that are games I was never going to buy anyway.. so it's not hurting anymoe, I just walk into gametraders or what not, and if i see something cheap that interests me I will grab it. otherwise I would have never played it. and fuck, if the games good enough i'll probably buy the sequel or the next game from the developer

HolyCheck said:
I only buy used games that are games I was never going to buy anyway.. so it's not hurting anymoe, I just walk into gametraders or what not, and if i see something cheap that interests me I will grab it. otherwise I would have never played it. and fuck, if the games good enough i'll probably buy the sequel or the next game from the developer
That is basically the model accepted by the wider recording industry now. Put the album out for pennies or free. If it is good the consumer will buy some merchandise or come to a show. Starting to get up and running properly and once the middle men are cut out it will be very profitable all round.

RandomVince said:
I'll say it again: Legend is leaving swathes of massacred arguments in his wake in that thread.
Unfortunately the other side of the discussion isn't actually discussing. Only bleating their opinion and ignoring any logic put in front of them and avoiding anything resembling a constructive back and forth.

Yagharek

reptilescorpio said:
Unfortunately the other side of the discussion isn't actually discussing. Only regurgitating the sweaty nuggets they picked up whilst servicing their corporate overlords' netherregions and ignoring any logic put in front of them and avoiding anything resembling a constructive back and forth.

FTFY

markot

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
Went to Safeway to pick up some more Scotch Coke and found they had Mock Cream Bun 3 packs for $1. Best day ever!
Those are awful >.< they are Mock! MOCK!

And I despiseeeee pre order crap (unless hats for TF2!) and the crap they are doing these days. Its just a pile of shit ontop of a pile of crap thats sitting ontop of a pile of manure.

Want to play as Robin? BUT FROM x! Want Joker? BUY FROM Y BUT BEFORE TUESDAY! Screw you all!

Rezbit

Legend is a good poster. Also, I'm out of beer and it's 9 o'clock :|

Speaking of cream buns, that reminds me of when I was in primary school. Every now and then the canteen used to have a special food day where they would offer snags and hamburgers and sweets instead of the usual stuff. They used to have these matchsticks which were the absolute bomb. Pretty much was a French vanilla slice with a layer of jam in it. So damn good. I want one.

Top Bottom