• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Agyar

Star Wars Kinect was definitely game of the show. Everyone should buy it to live out their childhood dream of being a rancor.

Fogz

3chopl0x said:
Long shot but did you happen to get any info on the PC version of Sonic?

Was just an EB guy at the booth, no one from Sega, and he seemed more interested in telling some 10 year old kid that its only $10 to preorder than talking about the actual game

Agyar said:
Star Wars Kinect was definitely game of the show. Everyone should buy it to live out their childhood dream of being a rancor.
Is it good enough for everyone to eat crow after the horrible showing before?

Fogz said:
Didn't get much time with Mass Effect 3, was just a gears of war section and they seemed to kick me out after 3 minutes, just in time to get their N7 spiel in.

Didn't bother lining up for BF3 as I'd played the beta and the line was 3 hours long. Same for AssCreed and MW3, always superhuge lines. Started lining up for Skyrim until someone said there wasn't a hands on demo.
Did you get to go into the pause menus and see what RPG elements they have changed with ME3? Kinect enabled stuff? No MP stuff?

A line to watch a video of Skyrim? What the hell?

Fogz

reptilescorpio said:
you get to go into the pause menus and see what RPG elements they have changed with ME3? Kinect enabled stuff? No MP stuff?

A line to watch a video of Skyrim? What the hell?

It was a 15 minute presentation, whatever that is. I wasn't going to line up for a hour to find out. I was more interested in Rage anyway.

In Mass Effect 3 I saw a message pop up asking to press a button to assign points to team members or something but thats all I saw. Still an improvement on DA2 I guess.
Other then that it was just all cover and shoot.

markot

Banned
The Rancor was the thing in ROTJ which Luke fought in the... thingy under Jabbas chair.

And he won!

So you wouldnt want to be killed would you? No! and thats why you still shouldnt be looking forward to Star Wars Kinect.

Shaneus

Agyar said:
Seriously? Everyone was saying it looked like shit from back at E3. Good stuff.

markot said:
Yeah, riding motor cycles is so hard!

At least he is no Webber.
Judging by more knowledgable folk than I in the F1 thread, the car changes next year should see the car favour Webber like it did in 2010 rather than Vettel in 2011.

new heineken ad is annoying me.

edit: celebrity apprentice looks awesome! when was the last time such a loathsome group of people were brought together? you've got pauline hanson, max markson, lots of b-c grade celebrities whose names i don't know.

Yagharek

Good job channel 9. Show wales v france live yesterday. Show aus vs nz delayed. Still going through pre-game gasbagging here now. WANKERS

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
is the audio really choppy? like not compeltly off but just slight chops

or am i wrong setting it sigh jesus camp was fune so i blame rubgy

Dead Man

RandomVince said:
Good job channel 9. Show wales v france live yesterday. Show aus vs nz delayed. Still going through pre-game gasbagging here now. WANKERS
Where are you? Adelaide 9 is saying it is live.

roosters93 said:
celebrity apprentice looks awesome! when was the last time such a loathsome group of people were brought together? you've got pauline hanson, max markson, lots of b-c grade celebrities whose names i don't know.
Any low cut tops or not worth me getting the gf to yell out when it is on?

Edit: Rugby is about 12 minutes underway.

Bernbaum

The Expo:

It was fine. Ran smoothly enough and they did about as well as they could with the large crowds. Saturday morning session opened to huge lines and was the busiest, with much shorter lines later on in the evening session. Someone who wanted to see everything would absolutely need to attend more than one session, VIP or otherwise. Presentations and the wait in line required chewed up a lot of the day.

VIP pass was handy for those who had it, although at $100 it was overpriced.

The presentations were better than expected, even with the stupid EXPLOSIONS and paid actors rappelling down from the ceiling in camo fatigues and EXPLOSIONS and the the Battlefield 3 logo flashing on and off to drum and bass music and EXPLOSIONS. Really, most of the talks were great and there were some high-up people from the big names in the business up on stage doing their pitch. Sure, they were marketing their wares, but did so in an exciting way.

Peter Moore:

I was impressed with this guy. The crowd didn't deserve a class act like him. EA do some annoying shit, but Moore knows his market and it's comforting to know they've got a straight shooter like him at the helm.

The Gold Coast's Nerang-Broadbeach district

A vomit-covered neon plastic celebration of everything that is awful in the world.

Denizens of the Gold Coast's Nerang-Broadbeach district

Walking stereotypes of Ed Hardy clothing, fake-tanned biceps, southern cross flag boardshorts, tribal tattoos, Arnette shades and Jim Beam baseball caps. We saw a Holden Commodore or two or maybe two million. The next holocaust should wipe out these fuckers first.

EB Expo attendees

Antisocial fat fucks with ironic gaming culture t-shirts and hideously unnattractive woman cosplaying as their favourite stupid character from their favourite terrible game. You look repulsive on a regular day and you still look repulsive dressed up as Princess Zelda. For the sake of my olfactory organs, do you think you could shower for once in your miserable life before leaving the house?

The Games:

Star Wars Kinect:

This year's and next year's GotY. Getting your Jedi avatar to masturbate on screen is a far deeper gameplay experience than any successor to X-Wing vs Tie Fighter could ever be.

Uncharted 3:

Everyone will buy this game. Plays closely to Uncharted 2, although melee combat has more QTE events thrown in, particularly against 'heavy' enemies. Not sure if I like that or not. Visual fidelity isn't leagues ahead of UC2, but the plane sequence has many busy things happening on screen all whilst running at a silky smooth framerate.

Battlefield 3:

EXPLOSIONS. Gunplay in single player felt fresh and didn't quite play like BFBC2 or a CoD clone. Looks impressive on console although PC is where it's at. Less 'hammy' military dialogue than what we've endured from countless other modern military shooters. Crazy huge lines for this one although we got lucky and waited about 20 minutes to play it. Also, EXPLOSIONS.

Super Mario 3D Land:

Plays somewhere between NSMB, Mario 64 and Crash Bandicoot. An excellent demonstration of the 3D screen and you'll want to play it with the stereoscopic effect all the way up. Levels are 3D and Mario explores 'into' the screen. The action floats between either back-to-front or side-to-side through the game world. Mario brings with him the same arsenal of moves from SM64 and there are all the old tropes (Hats, fireballs, 3 gold coins to collect each level) and throws in a few nods to Super Mario staples such as the 'finishing pole' all whilst feeling uniquely new.

The launch game the 3DS always needed and a must-buy for owners of the system.

Zelda: Skyward Sword

If you didn't think Zelda was dated before, you will after playing the Skyward Sword demo.

I fucking love Zelda and will play it anyway.

Skyrim

Not playable at the show but it looks ace and even though I had no interest in it beforehand I wanna buy it now. Worlds look amazing despite THE GEOLOGY BEING ALL WRONG AND NOT SCIENTIFICALLY POSSIBLE, GAZUNTA FIX THIS and I can't wait to murder dragons in the face. Hype justified. Game characters no longer look like claymation abortions.

PS Vita

The first feature advertised for the Vita was the dual analog set-up, which received an applause. The Vita looked smaller in the guys hand's than expected. Visual fidelity is great.

The stage demo of Little Big Planet is the best advertisement for the new handheld and is the best demonstration of all that ridiculous whizz-bang shit that Sony have slapped onto it. Touch controls were the big emphasis, followed closely by a slew of Augmented Reality applications. I only wanted one for Uncharted but there will loads on content loaded into LBP and it uses every feature on the device amazingly well.

Rage

The publishers of Rage would like to remind you that even though Rage is already out, you should play it at the demo booth and then buy several copies of Rage. It's not selling well at the moment, but did you know it was made by the same people who made Doom and Quake? You didn't? The publishers of Rage would like you to please buy it anyway.

EB Game's 'EB World' mascot - 'Buck the Bunny'

Dripping with raditude, Buck is your totally gnarly pal who will back you up in life no matter what you choose to do. Whether it's trading in a game for a pre-order to get exclusive DLC or if it's pwning noobs with your pals, Buck has got your back!
SHOOT ME NOW PLEASE

dq41tc.png

Bern the journalist comes through! Great impressions!

Bernbaum said:
Peter Moore:I was impressed with this guy. The crowd didn't deserve a class act like him. EA do some annoying shit, but Moore knows his market and it's comforting to know they've got a straight shooter like him at the helm.
I thought he only runs the Sports division? I see on wiki that he got promoted to COO 2 months ago which is a huge move. Makes sense since he was such a big figure at Microsoft.

Bernbaum said:
EB Expo attendeesAntisocial fat fucks with ironic gaming culture t-shirts and hideously unnattractive woman cosplaying as their favourite stupid character from their favourite terrible game. You look repulsive on a regular day and you still look repulsive dressed up as Princess Zelda. For the sake of my olfactory organs, do you think you could shower for once in your miserable life before leaving the house?
So if I put up a bunch of mirrors in my room it will feel just like being at EBXpo? Rad!

Bernbaum said:
Star Wars Kinect: This year's and next year's GotY. Getting your Jedi avatar to masturbate on screen is a far deeper gameplay experience than any successor to X-Wing vs Tie Fighter could ever be.
I swear to god you guys must be being sarcastic. Are you being sarcastic? The X-Wing reference is the best indication that you guys are joking. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE PUT UP SOME FOOTAGE FROM THE EXPO?

Bernbaum said:
Zelda: Skyward Sword If you didn't think Zelda was dated before, you will after playing the Skyward Sword demo. I fucking love Zelda and will play it anyway.
I recommend keeping that talk in AusGAF here lest the Zelda fanboys tear you to pieces out in the wider GAF community. Nice to hear a frank opinion on the game as I was bored with the series less than 5 minutes into Twilight Princess so I assumed the same would apply with Skyward Sword.

Bernbaum said:
Skyrim Worlds look amazing despite THE GEOLOGY BEING ALL WRONG AND NOT SCIENTIFICALLY POSSIBLE, GAZUNTA FIX THIS and I can't wait to murder dragons in the face.
You are worried about illogical geology in a game about dragons and magic and shit? How do you feel about creationists?

The big question is did you meet any AusGAFfers and were they as hideous as expected?

Also Buck plushie does not look to have attitude unless that attitude is to look excited and a little bit scared while seeing up a 10 year old anime school girls dress.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
i was pretty disappointed with skyward sword too. played the boss demo and watch people play the dungeon demo. overwhelming meh, but i will play the full version anyway. zelda games don't lend themselves well to short bursts of gameplay at an expo.

Salazar

Bernbaum said:
The Gold Coast's Nerang-Broadbeach district

A vomit-covered neon plastic celebration of everything that is awful in the world.

Denizens of the Gold Coast's Nerang-Broadbeach district

Walking stereotypes of Ed Hardy clothing, fake-tanned biceps, southern cross flag boardshorts, tribal tattoos, Arnette shades and Jim Beam baseball caps. We saw a Holden Commodore or two or maybe two million. The next holocaust should wipe out these fuckers first.

Not going to argue with anything here. Nerang-utans are hidden from evolution.

markot

Banned
Underwhelming Zelda?

I guess not even Zelda can save QLD >_<

SCREW YOU ALL! SHUT UP! ZELDA IS THE BEST EVER AND SKYWARD SWORD WILL BE SO GOOD THAT QLD WILL BE FORCED TO LIVE UNDER A KATTEROCRACY AS PUNISHMENT FOR 20 YEARS!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
'Dated' is the last impression I got from Skyward Sword when I played it, but whatever.

midonnay

markot said:
Underwhelming Zelda?

I guess not even Zelda can save QLD >_<

SCREW YOU ALL! SHUT UP! ZELDA IS THE BEST EVER AND SKYWARD SWORD WILL BE SO GOOD THAT QLD WILL BE FORCED TO LIVE UNDER A KATTEROCRACY AS PUNISHMENT FOR 20 YEARS!

it'll be voted game of the year by gaf and then it'll follow with another 5 years of bitching about how overrated it is :/

Yagharek

I stopped caring about demos a while ago. Enslaved and Vanquish were the titles responsible.

Hated the Vanquish demo, love the game. Loved the Enslaved demo, shit game.

Demos are great for games like XBLA or sports games, but in an action adventure type game, it's not usually a good indicator of the scope or quality of the game.

Choc

Banned
The show is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to close to E3 in many ways for my liking

still, EB did well. I just wish an independant company was running it and not a corporate whore.

also

fuck new zealand.

quade cooper your punishment for being a fuckwit and kicking the ball out on the full first kick and being shit is to never be picked for the wallies again

Yagharek

Fuck.

I just had the vision of Katter a la Ganondorf presiding over a flooded Queensland as Brisbane was last year. That's all.

I momentarily forgot there were a hell of a lot worse things that happened further inland. That's why I edited it out and now you made me explain myself.

EatChildren said:
'Dated' is the last impression I got from Skyward Sword when I played it, but whatever.
By 'Dated' is the last impression' do you mean it was 'the final, parting impression' that you got or did you mean it as 'the furthest impression from my experience'?

Rezbit

Rugby Union is a ridiculous game. Not in a good way either.

Also, these chewy caramel Tim Tams are really fucking good. Biscuit-AusGAF would do well to try them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Planet_JASE said:
By 'Dated' is the last impression' do you mean it was 'the final, parting impression' that you got or did you mean it as 'the furthest impression from my experience'?

I didn't get a dated impression from Skyward Sword, but that's because I'm a big fan of good motion controls, and I like what they're doing with the sword combat and item interaction. Dated to me implies lacking evolution, especially relative to what else is available, and though I can see how Skyward Sword is 'dated' in terms of rendering technology (it is the Wii, after all), I didn't get that impression from the gameplay.

Again, it is because I put a lot of value on good motion controls, as I feel they have potential to add a unique twist to gameplay that helps keep the experience fresh and updated. If Skyward Sword played exactly like old school Zelda, to a T, then I'd call it dated. But it doesn't, so I won't.

So did we win Rugby or not? Some people are saying we flogged NZ others are saying we were the ones that got flogged. It is this situation all over again. I think one of the guys here are going to punch on over it.
age5W.gif

Fogz said:
Hey! I tried (a little :p)
I liked your impressions too! Bern snazzed it up with bold and stuff though which is the hallmark of a successful videogame journalist.

Rezbit said:
Also, these chewy caramel Tim Tams are really fucking good. Biscuit-AusGAF would do well to try them.
Rocky Road is the only way to roll. So blicking guten.

Top Bottom