• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

remz said:
Batman has the best instruction manual I've ever seen :lol
Does it cover some of his history, as well? You know, covers his fairly slow start until Teen Wolf Too, then his fall back into relative obscurity until Arrested Development?

Hang on, what? It's about who?

Preorder cancelled!!

Jintor said:
I wish I liked these Dresden File books better. Admittedly I'm only on the second one, but I really like the ideas while finding the actual writing still kind of inconclusive.
I found that it took until about book 3 / 4ish until I really got into it. For me, they are my equivalent to a summer blockbuster movie; they aren't deep but they paced well and things go boom and people grow and learn and love and boom and die and love and betray and...

... and so on. I'd suggest trying one or two more. I think most people I've seen recommend the same.

Gazunta

Still not ported over from Optus. GOD DAMN IT I WANT TO PLAY WITH MY NEW TOYS. WAAAAAAAH

Edit: Glad to help Mandiller, I had a feeling Stark would be useful to get quotes from. Dude'll talk your ear off if you so much as make eye contact. :p

trinest

Gazunta said:
Still not ported over from Optus. GOD DAMN IT I WANT TO PLAY WITH MY NEW TOYS. WAAAAAAAH

Edit: Glad to help Mandiller, I had a feeling Stark would be useful to get quotes from. Dude'll talk your ear off if you so much as make eye contact. :p
When I switched to Telstra with my Mobile I had problems that they didn't pick up the number or release it :/

remz said:
Batman has the best instruction manual I've ever seen :lol
I really can't believe they do this now with console game manuals. Its a complete and utter joke what they have done with the manual for Arkham City.

Ahh for the times as a child when the first thing you do on the car ride back from the shops is read every single page of the instruction manual just to be ready for the game.

These days its usually a quick flick through to read any bios and check out some art.

THE WAR of the smartphones is on in earnest after Samsung filed a lawsuit in Australia to have Apple's new iPhone pulled from sale.

Just four days after it launched to massive queues, the iPhone 4s could be pulled from sale after Samsung filed an injunction with the New South Wales Registry.

The company also filed a lawsuit against the new iPhone and iPad 2 in Japan.

Samsung's Australian lawsuit alleges that the new smartphone violates three Samsung patents about the transmission of internet data.

The War is on.

Jintor

Worthintendo said:
I really can't believe they do this now with console game manuals. Its a complete and utter joke what they have done with the manual for Arkham City.

Ahh for the times as a child when the first thing you do on the car ride back from the shops is read every single page of the instruction manual just to be ready for the game.

These days its usually a quick flick through to read any bios and check out some art.

So what's the manual for Arkham City retail?

Gazunta

The best manuals were the 16-bit Nintendo ones especially for Mario games, where you saw clear 2D drawings of Mario demonstrating his new moves. It made you really excited to pull them off in the game.

Plus all the QUESTION MARKS they had. OMG SECRETS!!!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I love manuals showing various character moves and how to do them. Mario always gets it right, and the Metal Gear Solid manuals usually do as well.

Now days its two - four pages of black and white legal speel.

Deeku

When my mum confiscated my games/controllers, I would just read the manuals over and over again. It was just like playing the game!

Dat Pokemon Red/Blue manual!

Gazunta

Part of my job is organising manuals for the games and setting how many pages, will they be colour etc.

Good lord manuals are expensive to do properly. :/

I distinctly remember the MegaDrive manuals were monochrome and small and crap, thanks Ozisoft.

I have become everything I hate

I loved reading through the NES and SNES manuals back in the day, if I was bored I'd flick out a manual or two and have a read before getting pumped to play the game again.

Nowdays, ADD and in-game tutorials have buried our beloved manuals.

Gazunta said:

What exactly did Ozisoft do to Australia in regards to pricing games ? Are they to thank for the model that exists today?

I rarely read the manuals. I don't read the manual for cameras and take blurry pics. I don't read the manuals for cars and wonder what that shuddering from the brake pedal is and I don't read manuals for lawnmowers. My toe will grow back, won't it?

the last manual I read was so beautifully set out I couldn't face reading one that was worse
92459245.jpg

Batman acquisition will have to wait until tomorrow morning.

Is the Robin stuff worth the extra $10 from JB? (I think probably not)

Jintor

I know that I for one am probably going to be spending a truckload of money on Arkham City DLC. I won't plan to, but that's what will happen. Le sigh.

Echoplx

Jintor said:
I know that I for one am probably going to be spending a truckload of money on Arkham City DLC. I won't plan to, but that's what will happen. Le sigh.

If it hits the Steam store I won't be able to resist, considering I got the game for 25$ it won't really bother me that much.

DeathJr said:
The War is on.
Apple already sold a buttload of 4S. Really needed to stop them before release to do any damage.

Worthintendo said:
Gazunta said:
Part of my job is organising manuals for the games and setting how many pages, will they be colour etc.
xEGA8.jpg

Remember Falcon 4.0? THAT is how you do a manual. Take notes Gaz, I expect something brilliant from you. Gimme a 200 pages Hardcover artbook with each release filled with concept art and tidbits of trivia and you will have my sword
wallet I mean

Jintor said:
So what's the manual for Arkham City retail?
Cover - Pic of Batman
Page 1 - Basic Warnings about seizures and stuff
Page 2 - Xbox Live stuff, 3d instruction, how to get Catwoman and some stuff advising you to go online to view the full manual
Page 3 - Warranty stuff

So basically just 2 sides of half an A4 piece of paper folded together with some stuff written on the inside and the back and a picture of Batman on the front

I'm kinda surprised they didn't go with one of those eco friendly wagon wheel cases while they were at it for this game.

hamchan

Batman GET!

This will delay my Dark Souls playthrough for a week or two.

The manual really is amazing. There are more pieces of paper for DLC/Pre-Order codes than pages in the manual.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Old PC RPG manuals. Yum.

1403844-manuals_super7u3c.jpg

I'm particularly fond of the Arcanum manual, which was written like a thesis, describing the game world, relationship between technology and magic, races, and game mechanics as if they were real. All in 1800's English speak.

EatChildren said:
Old PC RPG manuals. Yum.

I'm particularly fond of the Arcanum manual, which was written like a thesis, describing the game world, relationship between technology and magic, races, and game mechanics as if they were real. All in 1800's English speak.

It's probably more awesome if you hear it as though Jeff Green was reading promo material from a D&D game.

Salazar

EatChildren said:
All in 1800's English speak.

Needs capitals for nouns. Early in the century, anyway. Specifically to infuriate people who, many years later, have to transcribe large bodies of text with minute accuracy.

Salazar said:
Needs capitals for nouns. Early in the century, anyway. Specifically to infuriate people who, many years later, have to transcribe large bodies of text with minute accuracy.

The 17th century S is infuriating too, looked so much like an f when reading things for uni.

Cohsae

EatChildren said:
Old PC RPG manuals. Yum.

1403844-manuals_super7u3c.jpg

I still have that Baldur's Gate manual. Volo and Elminster with the random comments was cool.
The Starcraft manual was awesome as well. Had a shitload of backstory about all the different races and their various factions, and sweet illustrations.

Kerrby said:
The only good comic is Simpsons comics.
How can one post have soo much wrong with it.

I was going to reply to this saying how awesome recent Marvel stuff like Captain America, Ultimate Spider-Man and the Skottie Young drawn Wizard of Oz series is, but then I saw the awesome 2000 AD stuff and thought better of it.

commissar

Cohsae said:
I still have that Baldur's Gate manual. Volo and Elminster with the random comments was cool.
The Starcraft manual was awesome as well. Had a shitload of backstory about all the different races and their various factions, and sweet illustrations.
I've always had great appreciation for the Homeworld manual/history.
I still have it somewhere :]

Quality paper, properly bound.
BG2 impressed with sheer size but black and white ringbound just isn't as nice.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
This sucks. Something wrong with my ADSL exchange. About 200ms to anywhere.
Same problem for a friend with a different provider on the same exchange.

Shaneus

Gazunta said:

Good lord manuals are expensive to do properly. :/

I distinctly remember the MegaDrive manuals were monochrome and small and crap, thanks Ozisoft.

I have become everything I hate
Party Animals was very well done. Last of a dying breed, it seems.

Kerrby

Banned
roosters93 said:
Are you trying to undo the good you got from liking The Big Lebowski? :)

not a comic fan

Growing up, Simpsons comics is the only comics I had. I even used to cut out the Simpsons comics that was in the back of the Herald Sun.

Shaneus

Did I mention that Steve Gaynor (of Idle Thumbs fame) RT'd one of my tweets? I did? Oh, here's a link:
http://twitter.com/#!/fullbright

As of now it's about 20 entries down. The only one with a Scooter (from The Muppets) icon.

Kerrby said:
Growing up, Simpsons comics is the only comics I had. I even used to cut out the Simpsons comics that was in the back of the Herald Sun.

Me too but there's a difference between that and saying it's the only good one aye.
I read Watchmen and enjoyed it.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Shaneus said:
Party Animals was very well done. Last of a dying breed, it seems.
Just checked my Party Animals manual. 30 pages of shining colour.

Although not as cool as original VP manual, which even included an online safety brochure, even though the game had no multiplayer.

Top Bottom