• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

midonnay

legend166 said:
You're both right.

It's called HECS-HELP.

I want extra credit >_<

http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Main/Quickfind/PayingForYourStudiesHELPLoans/Default.htm

In 2005, the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) replaced HECS. The previous arrangements for loans were expanded to further assist fee paying students under FEE-HELP (formerly the Postgraduate Education Loan Scheme [PELS]). OS-HELP was also introduced for eligible Commonwealth supported students.

HELP is comprised of four main loan programs:

HECS-HELP
FEE-HELP
OS-HELP and
VET FEE-HELP

Choc

Banned
the occupy events are not about wealth distribution entirely, its also about the political influence that the rich and powerful companies have and THAT is a massive problem in Australia

Basically the argument is that the rich can pay to get access to MP's and try and get things changed, run lobby groups etc and influence government policy

Hello mining industry and the Super profits tax. The only reason that could be defeated in the way it was that the mining industry had money to blow and continue to blow until they won.

The little man can get dicked over by the Government and have no say in it, or fight it because they don't have the money to.

It's not america, but we do have a problem with corporate influence on Government.

American taxes are a friggin sham. The highest corporate tax rate is 9%, income tax its about 20% i think

Ie, the government is FUCKED because they are not taxing enough. The president can't increase taxes because of stupid morons like Bachmann who have no fucking idea how things work in the real world.

Companies threaten reducing staff if taxes go up so obama is stuffed. What is abhorrent (that has not happened here yet) is companies who got bailed out by the Government paying ridiculous sums of bonuses.

Until the 70s, university WAS free for everyone. One reason why the Boomers have it so good, got property cheap and live probably the best generation yet in terms of wealth creation and life satisfaction.

People on average leave Uni with 20 grand debts these days that escalate. It reduces your taxable income.

just an fyi, germany does not charge for University and is seen as a world leader in exporting knowledge.

Wonder why.........

Because the German gvt is smart. They realise its an investment in the future. That by training people in german methods, those people go overseas and recommend german technology hence the economy improves because companies keep getting german technology.......

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
legend166 said:
Because it's not free. It's funded by the tax payer.

It's shouldn't be free because it's essentially a investment in your future earnings. The average wage of a university graduate is higher than the average wage of a non-graduate, obviously. So why should the non-graduate have to pay for that?

The system we've got now is good. It's not prohibitive but it doesn't put the burden on tax payer. The person who pays is the one who sees the benefit.

The graduate has to pay for the non graduates ciggies and housing... :p

I'm not really liking the idea of leaving home and entering the workforce/ adulthood with $25,000ish hanging over my head. I guess its better than what they have in the US but it seems weird that its becoming a kind of necessity that everyone does.

Marshmellow said:
Would anyone from experianced-AusGAF be kind enough to explain to me/outline what i should know if i was to think about buying a house.

• Saved money
    Getting a loan
    What to look for
    Good starting price
    Unseen costs
    Anything else
Are you buying a house, or building one? It's cheaper to build a new house, and you get 20k grant from the govt. instead of 7k for buying an already constructed property.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
shanshan310 said:
I'm not really liking the idea of leaving home and entering the workforce/ adulthood with $25,000ish hanging over my head. I guess its better than what they have in the US but it seems weird that its becoming a kind of necessity that everyone does.

keep in mind you need to be earning over 45k to have to start paying that back.

midonnay

but interest is only indexed to inflation isn't it...and you don't have to pay until you earn a certain amount.... sounds reasonable...

It is pretty reasonable. I can even put my living expenses on it if I go on exchange, which is pretty awesome.

DeathJr said:
Are you buying a house, or building one? It's cheaper to build a new house, and you get 20k grant from the govt. instead of 7k for buying an already constructed property.

:O my god. I was not aware of that. Crossing my fingers its still around 5 - 10 years from now.
However, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy an apartment or something than build a house?

Choc

Banned
You think Australia has it good?

New Zealand Student Loan system

flat 10% of earnings none of this scaling as your pay goes up. So if you earn 9k a paycheque, 900 goes to the loan

ZERO INTEREST CHARGED

our student loan system is better than the US, but its worse than Europe and NZ

midonnay

I'm not really up to date with the current system (I was on HECS) but I think the whinging is that there are not as much government supported positions nowadays?

and more people have to be full fee paying students if they want to go to uni?

Choc

Banned
if you build a new house there is a lot of things you have to pay that you do not for a pre-built

such as the infrastructure levy to the local council (which is the most bullshit tax ive ever seen....)

legend166 said:
It's shouldn't be free because it's essentially a investment in your future earnings. The average wage of a university graduate is higher than the average wage of a non-graduate, obviously. So why should the non-graduate have to pay for that?
That's only a good argument if everyone's in it for the money. If the government pays it's an investment in the country's future. Unless that person leaves the country with a free degree...

DeathJr said:
It's cheaper to build a new house.
The actual house isn't cheaper, it's most likely because the land that you're building is in miles away from anywhere interesting, and thus cheaper.

Choc

Banned
codswallop said:
That's only a good argument if everyone's in it for the money. If the government pays it's an investment in the country's future. Unless that person leaves the country with a free degree...

biggest problem with HELP right now

in NZ they charge you 5% interest for each year you are not in the country after you have it.

we, do fuck all, for some reason.

its not hard julia. You make people declare before they leave they are going. You track when they come back via their passports

duh

midonnay said:
I'm not really up to date with the current system (I was on HECS) but I think the whinging is that there are not as much government supported positions nowadays?

and more people have to be full fee paying students if they want to go to uni?

I know if you pay upfront you get a discount, but they are getting rid of the discount I think, or making it less.

Choc

Banned
the main argument people pull out is that its an investment for future tax. Lets take a doctor

they leave with about a 80,000 debt to HELP

lets say on average they earn 200k a year over the course of their career (some years less as new, some more because of GP status)

40 * 200k = 8 million dollars

now if they don't get into tax dodging, they would pay in that time

2,542,000 in tax.

A LOT more than 80,000 huh.

Not only that, likely to be a self funded retiree so doesn't hit the pension.

Ok so person doesn't go to Uni, says fuck that i dont want a debt. Gets a 50k a year office job, and earns 2,000,000 over course of their career.

They would pay tax of $342,000 over their career but probably unlikely to be a self funded retiree and will hit the pension. Also unlikely to have private health insurance, so hits the government on that part as well.

This is why it can be seen as an investment. In the future you should get more tax by those people having better jobs

If the government was told, ok so this guy is going to get a 80k debt BUT oer the coures of his career he will pay you 2.5 million in tax if you wipe that 80k

it would make sense to fucking well wipe that debt wouldn't it!

anyone else notice this on GMG? rofl

tILI2.png

midonnay

shanshan310 said:
I know if you pay upfront you get a discount, but they are getting rid of the discount I think, or making it less.

yeah, that too but I think when under the howard government, unis could offer two types of places to local students.... government supported and full fee paying depending on demand....

but apparent that was ripped up when Rudd came in so I'm really out of date :p

http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Main/Quickfind/PayingForYourStudiesHELPLoans/Default.htm

Higher education providers are able to offer two types of places to domestic students: Commonwealth supported places (previously known as HECS places) and fee paying places.

From 1 January 2009, public universities are no longer able to offer full fee paying places to any commencing domestic undergraduate students except in certain circumstances.

I've been looking at houses/land for the past 2 months. A 4 bedroom turnkey house (all inclusive) is costing me between 155k-180k. Turnkey means it includes everything: tiles, landscaping, connections, fittings, oven, dishwasher, etc etc..

Land, depending on the location is from 180k-230k. I'm taking about inner suburbs (Melbourne), built up areas and no more than 15-20 kms from the cbd.

So, all in all, i'm going to pay roughly 400k, minus the 20k grant. A built up house in the same area is easily 420k-450k, minus only 7k for the grant.

Apartments are ridiculously overpriced. Studio apartments without parking start from 300k.

Choc

Banned
you still get a 25% discount paying hecs early

what it stops is people buying their way into university who got a shit TER, UAI, VCE

WHATEVER THE FUCK THEY CALL IT THESE DAYS (changes every 5 mins)

DeathJr said:
Depends on where you are looking. Worked out cheaper to build in Lara than to buy a house of similar quality/condition but most places won't be like that.

midonnay said:
but interest is only indexed to inflation isn't it...and you don't have to pay until you earn a certain amount.... sounds reasonable...
I still haven't paid a cent back of my HECS, which is nice because it makes it easier to live. Once I start earning a nice comfortable amount I can pay it back nice and quick. A few of my friends in government employment have already paid it back.

midonnay said:
I think I remember hearing that the limit on how many students you can accept was lifted but no idea on how many HECS places there are. I continue to get one somehow.

Choc

Banned
DeathJr said:
I've been looking at houses/land for the past 2 months. A 4 bedroom turnkey house (all inclusive) is costing me between 155k-180k. Turnkey means it includes everything: tiles, landscaping, connections, fittings, oven, dishwasher, etc etc..

Land, depending on the location is from 180k-230k. I'm taking about inner suburbs (Melbourne), built up areas and no more than 15-20 kms from the cbd.

So, all in all, i'm going to pay roughly 400k, minus the 20k grant. A built up house in the same area is easily 420k-450k, minus only 7k for the grant.

Apartments are ridiculously overpriced. Studio apartments without parking start from 300k.

you need to do more research

1. Cost for council approval and the plans to go to them
2. Going to the land and environment court if you are a dick council (like most are these days) to fight to get the right to build what you want on YOUR land.
3. the infrastructure levy (usually about 50 odd thousand in sydney)
4. The stress
5. The cost of a project manager

HELP is indexed to CPI yes but it is even indexed when you are not working. So therefore, when you are not paying it back it still goes up.....

Choc said:
you still get a 25% discount paying hecs early

what it stops is people buying their way into university who got a shit TER, UAI, VCE

WHATEVER THE FUCK THEY CALL IT THESE DAYS (changes every 5 mins)

Its called OP in queensland, just to fuck with you (With OP1 being the highest and OP25 being the lowest).I still have no idea how it works, but I got into the course I wanted so I guess that's all that matters.

Fredescu

Choc said:

2. Going to the land and environment court if you are a dick council (like most are these days) to fight to get the right to build what you want on YOUR land.
4. The stress
Site costs can add up to 50k depending on the slope and soil type on the land, and council requirements.

Rahk said:
Rep and anyone else interested, the PAYDAY TM THE HEIST TM 4 pack is $15 each. Seems to be getting fairly positive impressions in the OT.

I'll be on Steam in about 45 mins an we can organise it then.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24240/
Going shopping with the wee lass now but I am in. I can paypal you the money later tonight if that is cool.

Edit: As long as people will play it with me this weekend of course. I enjoy buying games and never playing them but I would like to make an effort to play some MP games.

Choc said:

4. The stress

HELP is indexed to CPI yes but it is even indexed when you are not working. So therefore, when you are not paying it back it still goes up.....
Mate, turnkey house includes all those costs. I don't pay a single cent extra. Plus with the builder I have selected (property planet), I get 100% money back if i'm not satisfied with the house, and 10 years rental guarantee if I don't want to live there and give it on rent instead.

Choc

Banned
BOY faces up to six years in Bali's notorious Kerobokan prison after Indonesian prosecutors reportedly say they won't spare him from jail.

indonesia am crazy

Choc said:
BOY faces up to six years in Bali's notorious Kerobokan prison after Indonesian prosecutors reportedly say they won't spare him from jail.

indonesia am crazy
Should chuck the parents in instead. The kid had previous weed use to the point where his doctor knew about it and they let him go to a massage parlour? Pretty sure that isn't how you raise a kid.

Choc said:

indonesia am crazy

*snorts* I guess his "I was addicted to marijuana" defence fell through then.
Somehow the Indonesian minors in Australian prisons never get reported about...

Choc

Banned
shanshan310 said:
*snorts* I guess his "I was addicted to marijuana" defence fell through then.
Somehow the Indonesian minors in Australian prisons never get reported about...

because we dont throw kids away for 7 years for buying a small amount of weed....

and our prisons are not like Kerokoban

hamchan

Why do people take weed in Indonesia anyways? Seems pretty damn stupid. Just take all your drugs here where the punishment is pretty damn light.

Dead Man

Choc said:

indonesia am crazy
At least he will have a book deal and a movie deal afterwards, and time to get a life again if he is sent away.

hamchan said:
Why do people take weed in Indonesia anyways? Seems pretty damn stupid. Just take all your drugs here where the punishment is pretty damn light.
It really is mind boggling that people continue to make these mistakes.

hamchan said:

Exactly. Everyone knows what happens if you do drugs in Indonesia. EVERYONE. I mean, the prison conditions are horrible but I still have very little sympathy for this kid. He knew exactly what he was doing. I bet he thought he was untouchable because he was a minor.

I had some friends who ended up like that. This one guy said he could get away with graffiti, theft etc because "the cops only give you a warning, and even if you do get a record its all wiped clean when you turn 17".

midonnay said:
indo police couldn't be bribed?

thats how it usually works in those parts....

That's how it worked with that bikini model yeah. I'm going to go ahead and make assumptions by saying that the parents of this kid probably don't have that kind of money.

Top Bottom