• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Omikron

reptilescorpio said:
Good morning!

Hope you have a fantastic day Mr. Fap!

Also EA did not give RPS a copy of Battlefield 3 before release. Which is strange since you would think that RPS would give it some great press. At least we get cats, dogs and unicorns.
I like none of those animals. So I am not purchasing bf3.

Thanks for the useful review link.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Back in shitmelbourne and already been fleeced for $6 by being made to buy a bus ticket by a driver who 'doesn't want to hear my excuse'

Fuck you myki

codswallop said:
Ars also use the 'rating' system they use because it can't be used on Metacritic. I agree with Jambo that the words are what makes all the difference.
Case in point:
I just think, having played it, EA made some huge miscalculations in aligning it so closely to Modern Warfare 3. It seems obvious to me that they were scrambling to get it done, and they pushed it right down to the wire. I guess we’ll see how things pan out, in that regard.
I wonder if I was nicer to the campaign than I should have been. It’s not actively bad, usually, but it’s nowhere near what I would consider good, or even acceptable, really. And co-op stinks.
Battlefield 3 is a must play for anyone who likes multiplayer games. So I gave it the four point five.
Other things… I wonder why I got a copy of the game when so many other people in the press didn’t. Joystiq is a big, big site, don’t get me wrong, but still. People I greatly respect got shafted, and it’s hard to understand why that would be. I’m hoping I wasn’t selected on the basis of what EA thought I would give the game. That’s the kind of shit that keeps me up at night, figuratively speaking.
It is Arthur Gies so take it with a grain of salt. Not sure if BF3 would fit into buy/rent. I don't play MP so it sounds like a complete pass, even Homefront wasn't worth a rent.

Omikron

Darklord said:
Most people are liking the SP so far.

I also find most people stupid.

FWIW, I find the fact EA held back the game for review from generally the only sites I actually read/watch reviews on, mighty shady, no matter how you want to cut it.

reptilescorpio said:
Not sure if BF3 would fit into buy/rent. I don't play MP so it sounds like a complete pass, even Homefront wasn't worth a rent.
If you're not into multiplayer, I'd wait. I haven't heard good things about the single player thus far, and I was hoping we'd have a good contender.

As for multiplayer, most people already know if they're interested in that or not, so reviews for those people are pointless. Most COD players who are only interested in COD aren't going to switch. As for me, the beta highlighted that the BF series still has many of the same flaws and annoyances it's had since BF1942, so I think I'll be hanging back for a while.

Kritz

Banned
No interest in BF3 until it gets cheaper. Seeing as how it's on Origin, I expect to be waiting a while.

No interest in MW3 because I've already played that game ten times this past four years.

Partial interest in RAGE has mostly gone, as I've started playing AC:Brotherhood which is a very, very good game.

Skyrim and SR3, I think, are my final two games of the year before the Steam Holiday sale.

Dead Man

Kritz said:
No interest in BF3 until it gets cheaper. Seeing as how it's on Origin, I expect to be waiting a while.

No interest in MW3 because I've already played that game ten times this past four years.

Partial interest in RAGE has mostly gone, as I've started playing AC:Brotherhood which is a very, very good game.

Skyrim and SR3, I think, are my final two games of the year before the Steam Holiday sale.
Are you me?

Kritz

Banned
Dead Man said:
Are you me?

Do you think Batman isn't worth its weight in broken DLC, Uncharted 3 looks pretty good but you want to distance yourself from the fucking crazies a game like that attracts, Halo: Bloom and Bad Facial Animations remake looks like Mario 3 on the SNES when you were perfectly fine with Mario 3 on the NES or perhaps, maybe, you feel like you've already played Zelda: Skyward Sword because it looks like every other fucking zelda game since OOT?

Because that is what I am thinking at the moment.

Kritz said:

Same here, started a new playthrough on Sunday afternoon, as I had only played an hour or two previously. Such a good game.

I also have no plans of playing BF3 or MW3, my interest in modern military FPS games could not be any lower. Give me Singularity 2 over these any day.

My gaming plans for the next couple of months involve Uncharted 3, Skyrim, AC: Revelations, and probably Saints Row 3.

I have interest in Skyrim and Zelda, but want to wait to see how they're both received. If MW3 gets glowing reviews I'll bite, but only if it's compared to COD4 and not MW2. BF3 I've lost all interest in.

The only game I can see myself buying for sure is AC:Revelations since I've been there from the very beginning and loved every instalment. They're going to have to screw up big time for me not to want it.

With just about anything else I have a passing interest in (Saints Row 3, Arkham City, Rage), I'm OK with waiting until they're cheap. Besides, we all need something to fill the after-holiday lull, so I may as well wait.

Salazar

codswallop said:
The only game I can see myself buying for sure is AC:Revelations since I've been there from the very beginning and loved every instalment. They're going to have to screw up big time for me not to want it.

Getting for 360 and waiting for GAF test dummies for PC version.

Kritz

Banned
... AC:R is out this year?

Somehow I managed to beat AC2 the week before AC:B came out, and was completely burned out on the series to play AC:B.

I pick up AC:B again while trying to find something in my library I still wanted to play, nearly finished it now, and the fuck? AC:R is coming out?

Dejavu.

UC3 gets 10/10.

No surprise there. Somewhere in melbourne Eatchildren lost a bowel movement.
KuGsj.gif

Kritz said:

Somehow I managed to beat AC2 the week before AC:B came out, and was completely burned out on the series to play AC:B.

I pick up AC:B again while trying to find something in my library I still wanted to play, nearly finished it now, and the fuck? AC:R is coming out?

Dejavu.

I had something similar last year. When I got home with my copy of AC Brotherhood I realised I had never finished AC2. So I started playing AC2 and and I realised I never finished AC1.

So I burnt through AC1 and 2 within a couple of weeks, after which I had no interest in Assbro. Hopefully now I can get through it in the next week or so and have a breather before AC:R comes out.

Bernbaum

Kritz said:

Dejavu.
Simple! Just wait for the next game, Assassin's Creed II: Reckoning, before playing Brotherhood.

Also, if Ubisoft choose to do a completely 'modern/futuristic' game with Desmond, a lead contender for the setting would be Bangkok. It's the perfect juxtaposition of proper temples, palaces and shrines nestled in amongt modern urban sprawl. Heaps of cheeky little back alleys and the bees hive nature of homes and shops built on top of each other would be great for crawling around on.

Yes, there are other cities which retain old architecture, but the modern parts of Bangkok are laid out in a way that would gel nicely with the AC gameplay.

Fredescu

Kritz said:
Uncharted 3 looks pretty good but you want to distance yourself from the fucking crazies a game like that attracts
This complilation of posts in reaction to the Eurogamer review is amazing: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32102086&postcount=3251

The review itself sums up how I feel about the Uncharted series:

"as a slice of one-view entertainment, Uncharted 3 is peerless. The execution exhibits a kind of workmanship and polish way beyond the ambition of most other developers, let alone their abilities or budgets. As an expression of all that a video game could be, however, Uncharted 3 is narrow, focused and ultimately shallow. It is a majestic tribute to cinema, a movie game in the literal sense, and your enjoyment will be in precise step with your appreciation of that objective"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-21-uncharted-3-drakes-deception-review

Shaneus

Fredescu said:
This complilation of posts in reaction to the Eurogamer review is amazing: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32102086&postcount=3251

The review itself sums up how I feel about the Uncharted series:

"as a slice of one-view entertainment, Uncharted 3 is peerless. The execution exhibits a kind of workmanship and polish way beyond the ambition of most other developers, let alone their abilities or budgets. As an expression of all that a video game could be, however, Uncharted 3 is narrow, focused and ultimately shallow. It is a majestic tribute to cinema, a movie game in the literal sense, and your enjoyment will be in precise step with your appreciation of that objective"

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-21-uncharted-3-drakes-deception-review
Um, wow. Fanboys aren't just restricted to Forza/GT and looks even WORSE. That's pretty abhorrent shit right there. Love that even the worst of the worst (Hi DeathJr ;)) in AusGAF can't even hold a candle to that level of crazy.

Edit: Kept reading some of those choice comments... wow. The fact (like Mama mentioned) that IGN is being lauded as a pinnacle of reviews when so. many. other. times. it gets it wrong is just laughable. I bet she copped some shit after that for that post, despite being a well-respected GAF mainstay. I hope some choice GIFs come from it.

Sony fanboys? Naughty Dog fanboys? Where are these people coming from?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Why are the textures in rage so shitty as you step out at the starting area and that pop-in.

Who here is playing it on pc and is using a custom config file? Which one!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Shaneus said:
Um, wow. Fanboys aren't just restricted to Forza/GT and looks even WORSE. That's pretty abhorrent shit right there. Love that even the worst of the worst (Hi DeathJr ;)) in AusGAF can't even hold a candle to that level of crazy.

Edit: Kept reading some of those choice comments... wow. The fact (like Mama mentioned) that IGN is being lauded as a pinnacle of reviews when so. many. other. times. it gets it wrong is just laughable. I bet she copped some shit after that for that post, despite being a well-respected GAF mainstay. I hope some choice GIFs come from it.

It isn't like it's a Sony or Uncharted exclusive thing, it shows up all over -- well -- everything. It's a symptom of a greater insecurity. Some people just forget how easy it is to surface and take a breathe of fresh air and continue rolling on. In too deep, man, they're in too deep.

Omikron

The fact that there is an almost 80 page thread (50ppp) purely dedicated to discussing review scores about an individual game I do find a little bit... errr.... strange?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it not that strange. You see it all the time. When people are in a Chris Remo/Nick Breken Starcraft-ameba form and all they want to do is absorb everything related to GAME X, a review thread is a giant outlet for that.

If they have the time to that heavily invest in a game, go them, they'll probably enjoy themselves, and that's great. But man, there is some seriously repugnant shit in most of those threads. Compiling the -- uh -- 'fame' is a hilariously effective concept and may help clean future threads up.

Shaneus said:
Sony fanboys, I should think. There are Naughty Dog fanboys, but they're essentially just a subset of Sony fanboys, just like how Zelda fanboys are more or less a subset of Nintendo fanboys more broadly. Brand loyalty and self-deception are powerful drugs.

... Or maybe they legitimately like the style of game from its own merits and find criticism of their fundamental reason for their enjoyment to be baffling at best, blasphemous at worse and are too immature to realise that people might have a valid perspective that is fundamentally different from theirs.

What's funny about my Nintendo fandom is that prior to about 2005, I was blissfully unaware that the bulk of my favourite games from my childhood, the ones that really stood out from among the pack as something truly special (like Super Metroid), were developed and published by Nintendo (or Rare). I just picked out what I thought looked fun. I was surprised when I found out, for instance, that the Pokemon franchise was partly owned by Nintendo. This puts me in the weird position now of being a Nintendo fan who doesn't really care for the Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Pilotwings, Pikmin or Animal Crossing series.

Were I a young teenager and saw a review ragging on a game I was hyped about (say, Metroid Dread), I would probably not be self-aware enough to avoid the same behaviour.

jambo

evlcookie said:
Why are the textures in rage so shitty as you step out at the starting area and that pop-in.

I haven't noticed too much pop in, can't wait for the patch though.

Echoplx

DeathJr said:
Because my opinion of good is different from your opinion of good. Your opinion about my opinion is irrelevant. :p

So what you're actually saying is that you're a fan of your own opinion?

Jintor

He's a slave to his own ego!

My fucking Sony Ericsson caputted last night. Well, technically what caputted was the charge port, which came out attached to the charge cable and appears to have been ripped straight off the goddamn phone motherboard. I'm a year into a two year contract, and about a month out of warranty. Son of a bitch.

Jintor

It's a Vivaz or whatever it's called.

It's still complete shit. I kind of don't want it replaced, I just want to transfer my contract onto a HTC or whatever.

Rahk

evlcookie said:

Check the PC thread, there's a config in the OP which is what I'm using. Have you updated your video card drivers?

3chopl0x said:
So what you're actually saying is that you're a fan of your own opinion?
No, what i'm saying is that I play the games that look interesting to my tastes. I don't play X game because some review says it's good or because others are playing it. Similarly I won't stop playing a game if someone else thinks it bad.

Choc

Banned
Jintor

most if not all phone contracts these days (bar the apple one) come with a warranty that lasts the entirity of the contract after the ACCC had a massive hissy fit over it

you are probably still in warranty

Choc said:
Jintor

most if not all phone contracts these days (bar the apple one) come with a warranty that lasts the entirity of the contract after the ACCC had a massive hissy fit over it

you are probably still in warranty
Warranty on most contract phones is one year, regardless of the length of the contract.

Choc

Banned
DeathJr said:
Warranty on most contract phones is one year, regardless of the length of the contract.

INCORRECT

the ACCC said that the telcos must have 24 month warranties for 24 month contracts. The telcos negotiated 24 month warranties with everyone but apple.

the accc allowed apple to have an exclusion for some reason but no, most if not all phones these days come with 24 month warranties.

its been in place about 18 months.

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/966482/fromItemId/142

Following the ACCC's investigation, Optus introduced a 24 month express repair warranty for mobile phones supplied by Optus on 24 month post paid contracts, and has undertaken for a period of three years to provide this warranty for all brands of mobile phones supplied by Optus, including the Apple iPhone.

ACCC chairman Graeme Samuel said this is a big win for consumers.

"Optus has joined the other major telcos in providing 24 month warranties, and we now have a situation where consumers who purchase a mobile phone on a fixed contract have a warranty for the life of the contract."

The Optus undertaking follows an ACCC investigation in 2009 into Vodafone Hutchison Australia which gave similar undertakings to the ACCC, and recent negotiations with Telstra, both of which now provide 24 month warranties for mobile phones on 24 month contracts

Choc

Banned
DeathJr said:
My phone on 2 year contract has only 1 year warranty. I got it 3 months ago.

if you are with VHA, Telstra or Optus and its not an iphone

guess what, you dont have a 12 month warranty

forget what it says in the phone manual, its what the telco has setup that matters. and by law they must now do 24 month.

Cohsae said:
Man that Uncharted compilation is just pure insanity. When is NeoGAF like GameFAQs...

What are you referring to?

I just watched the 10/10 perfect game review on IGN.
i have achieved a game hardon. Cant wait for this, just lined up a mate who is going to play it through with me as well.

Top Bottom