• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Gazunta

I just happened to have the first issue of Zzap! 64 on me from May 1985, and they spend two pages of the issue explaining their review system.

The first rule?

"Every game is played by THREE people. This is really the only way of avoiding inaccurate reviews caused by a single person's quirky tastes."

They fucking solved this review problem 26 years ago. What happened to games being reviewed by teams? Oh yeah that's right outsourcing games journalism to whatever collection of freelancers that you can find scattered around the world that will write for free EXPOSURE happened to it.

10GB of my 32GB iPad is dedicated to having every issue of Zzap! 64 available at any time

Deeku

Marshmellow said:
Solved! and even better, i shall deduce that you are a FF fan which means you are A-OK! in my books :D

I am studying an engineering diploma for civil as i am a design/drafter for civil.
Work allows something like 4hrs per week for paid study time, i am going to get them to bank it for me so i can just deal with it during study time and then when tests come along i can take an entire week off for prep or assignment work i think.

DeathJr - Or if you are the kind of guy who leaves everything to the last minute, you will have a though time.
Thanks for pointing out that i am totally boned :p I am going to have to try and adapt a method of studying regularly because the only way i work is if i repeat something until i understand it and keep using it.
I'm actually pretty anti post 32bit era FF so...:lol but having played a handful of modern FF's, I am a fan of some of the music that comes from the series.

Civil eng is kinda mathy right? I'm guessing there would be lots of math-related problems to do and stuff, so I guess just keeping up to date with that would be a must. Don't worry, I'm pretty much like you in that I need to repeat example problems a few times before it sinks in.

midonnay said:
a spaced repetition flashcard system (SRS) is your friend. Tonnes of programs for iphone but I prefer just using Anki on my netbook. Awesome for last minute study if you put it in cram mode (or long term recollection if you keep at it).

http://ankisrs.net/

Thanks man, dling now. will have a look

commanderdeek said:
I'm actually pretty anti post 32bit era FF so...:lol but having played a handful of modern FF's, I am a fan of some of the music that comes from the series.

Civil eng is kinda mathy right? I'm guessing there would be lots of math-related problems to do and stuff, so I guess just keeping up to date with that would be a must. Don't worry, I'm pretty much like you in that I need to repeat example problems a few times before it sinks in.

FF7 is favorite, storylines have dipped in quality ever since then but i still love the franchise.
Have not played prior to FF7, i tried but just cant do old-gen anymore.

Yes very mathy, i have a good friend and current housemate that tutors high level math so i will probably pay him for some help. The rest of it should be learning standards and design applications based on situations.

Yagharek

Today I give up* coffee.

Exception being in social situations. Going to stop drinking the three per day I have been, and avoid relying on it for nightshift.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
emailed the transport ombudsmen.

I rang Myki today and said why do I need to pay $5 to get my account out of the negative (to which he snarkly replied, no only $4) and he said they can't do it. I need to go to a store or train station and put $4 onto it.

me: So because YOUR SYSTEMS screwed up and caused me to not be able to queue up passes, thus creating a gap of 3 - 5 days in which my account went into negative because I was having to buy tickets with cash, and test my card to see if my pass was working, you want ME to fix the issue?

him: Yes.

me: Ok just so you know, as this is your fault I will not be doing that, and I will board the bus with my pass that has a 28 day pass that can't be used due to your fault, with print out of adequate emails proving the fault is at your end.

him: You need to travel with a valid ticket

me: well it looks like I wont be

him: are you aware if you travel with that then you will get fined by the inspectors.

me: yes.

him: ok then

me: good. bye.

Shaneus said:
Immersion? That would cover sound, graphics and (I guess) things like UI and the general "feel" of the game. That, replayability and story should cover it.
I always wanted someone to review a game which covered the reviewer's opinion of the game in the first five minutes, then a few hours into the game, then 20 or so hours into it. If a game (like Uncharted) only lasts eight hours or whatever, then they could write their opinion of the game on a second playthrough or how they feel about it after having played it.

A few minutes into the game would be where you discuss the graphics, controls and interface since they're your first impression, then a few hours in you would discuss how the story's holding up, etc. If the graphics are outstanding and constantly amazing you would of course bring that up.

No idea if it would make sense in the context of a review, but I've always thought it would.

Bernbaum

legend166 said:
My lifelong abstinence from coffee is still going strong.
Just finished my third cup!

I'm home sick and made a whole pot. I allow myself one (1) cup of coffee a day when I am at work.

Good thing you like Dr Pepper.

Jintor

Choc said:
if you are with VHA, Telstra or Optus and its not an iphone

guess what, you dont have a 12 month warranty

forget what it says in the phone manual, its what the telco has setup that matters. and by law they must now do 24 month.

Is it retroactive?

Shaneus

codswallop said:
I always wanted someone to review a game which covered the reviewer's opinion of the game in the first five minutes, then a few hours into the game, then 20 or so hours into it. If a game (like Uncharted) only lasts eight hours or whatever, then they could write their opinion of the game on a second playthrough or how they feel about it after having played it.

A few minutes into the game would be where you discuss the graphics, controls and interface since they're your first impression, then a few hours in you would discuss how the story's holding up, etc. If the graphics are outstanding and constantly amazing you would of course bring that up.

No idea if it would make sense in the context of a review, but I've always thought it would.
Honestly, I think that would be awesome. Majority of games would have a positive or negative curve in that respect. Vanquish or Bayonetta, likely highly addictive but possibly (for the average person) not a lot of replay value (which doesn't concern me as I rarely get 10+ hours out of any game anyway). But with, say, Forza 4, you could easily chalk up 20+ hours. Maybe even X days after purchase/install could be a factor. That way the long-term appeal could be judged regardless of how many hours you've put in ie. Did that last session I had make me want more?

PS. What the shit, people! Get onto Sequence. It can be AusGAF's very own Uncharted 3.

Echoplx

Coles had 24packs of Pepsi on special for 12$ so I've been spending the last few days eating Kookas cookies and drinking Pepsi. Not sure how to feel about this.

Yagharek

Someone made a great post in one of the review threads:

Paraphrasing here

"Niche title: Great game that will be remembered for years to come. 8.5/10
AAA blockbuster: has some bugs. 9.5/10"

edit:

found the real one

Zzoram said:
Smaller budget non-shooter "We'll be talking about this game in 10 years. 8.5"

4 major annual AAA shooter sequels "One of the new modes is good, others are absolute trash. 9.5"

Shaneus said:
Honestly, I think that would be awesome. Majority of games would have a positive or negative curve in that respect. Vanquish or Bayonetta, likely highly addictive but possibly (for the average person) not a lot of replay value (which doesn't concern me as I rarely get 10+ hours out of any game anyway). But with, say, Forza 4, you could easily chalk up 20+ hours. Maybe even X days after purchase/install could be a factor. That way the long-term appeal could be judged regardless of how many hours you've put in ie. Did that last session I had make me want more?

PS. What the shit, people! Get onto Sequence. It can be AusGAF's very own Uncharted 3.

What the hell Shaneus, i swear i posted links to sequence like 5 times last friday. lol
No-one seemed to be interested. I have DDR pad setup for it and the game is amazing.

I got it free from the GAF thread but i donated $20 to them and also bought Ronald Jenkees' albums for $20

Jintor

evlcookie said:
Failed my driving test, No surprise. Got me on signalling or some shit and I was so close to passing.

Booking it right now for end of november since that's the earliest time. If i fail that, I'm fucked.

Don't worry guy. You'll be fine next time around.

Bernbaum

There is one instance in my 28 years where I've been addicted to something and recognised it as a problem.

When I was working as a barista in a trendy New Farm cafe, we could make ourselves coffees to drink at our hearts leisure. It was on a seven hour shift from 6am through to lunch on a typically crazy Saturday morning that I learnt that unlimited free coffees aren't necessarily a good thing. I was pretty good at sneaking in a cup of my own on the espresso machine along with the customers', but because we were so backed up with coffee orders there just wasn't a chance.

During those years, I would usually drink half a dozen cups of coffee over a shift. That's a lot of coffee for anyone.

Work-wise, I was doing fine, I could handle the workload and wasn't under physical exhaustion. around 11am or so I start getting the chills and break out in a cold sweat. I had to have a coffee. There was limited opportunity to make one for myself and it wasn't until I started physically shaking that I said 'fuck it' and drank a coffee I'd prepared for someone else.

Immediately following that one coffee, two things happened: I settled down and felt fine; and I realised this was not a healthy thing!

After that, I gradually weaned myself down to about two cups a day, and these days I try to limit myself to one a day and NOT before 9am so my morning self isn't dependent on it.

Oh and also ecstasy. I once took three ecstasy tablets in the space of two hours because they weren't as effective on me as they used to be because I was taking it every week and I just wasn't getting high. Collapsed in a sweat that night and then promptly gave up ecstasy. Don't do drugs.

Shaneus

Marshmellow said:
What the hell Shaneus, i swear i posted links to sequence like 5 times last friday. lol
No-one seemed to be interested. I have DDR pad setup for it and the game is amazing.

I got it free from the GAF thread but i donated $20 to them and also bought Ronald Jenkees' albums for $20
Feep sent me a code (I think) around Friday but I was still consumed with FM4. Thinking I needed a break from the intense controller-gripping I gave Sequence a bash. With a controller.

My hands are still sore.

But yeah, I donated a tenner (which will 100% go to him, which is awesome) and have been spruiking as much as possible. Though there's a Reddit thread that is giving it some massive props, so all is looking good.

Jintor

Gazunta said:
I just happened to have the first issue of Zzap! 64 on me from May 1985, and they spend two pages of the issue explaining their review system.

The first rule?

"Every game is played by THREE people. This is really the only way of avoiding inaccurate reviews caused by a single person's quirky tastes."

They fucking solved this review problem 26 years ago. What happened to games being reviewed by teams? Oh yeah that's right outsourcing games journalism to whatever collection of freelancers that you can find scattered around the world that will write for free EXPOSURE happened to it.

Also, money and time constraints

Gazunta

I drank 3 litres of Coca-Cola a day until one day I went blind because I didn't have any Coca-Cola by 10am. I gave up cold turkey after that.

...Bern's story is better.

Jintor

Gazunta said:
Pretty sure lead times for print are the same now as they were 26 years ago, so I think it's just money :)

Looking at Hyper's occasional double-reviews, co-ordination and getting extra copies out of publishers is quite tricky, especially on time.

Choc

Banned
Jintor said:
Also, money and time constraints

yeah it costs a lot to send 3 journos on a junket to the US.

also gaz you should know this, i'll tell you what happened

debug fucking units is what happened. and how rare they are in Australia

Yagharek

Gaz is right though. Most reviews these days are either gushing hyperbole or PR retreads.Or at least thats the impression most of them give.

If you want to read a great review, go back to Edge's reviews of Boiling Point, Driver 3 and (especially) 50 cent. Low scoring, highly critical, hilarious reviews make for great reading.

Very few reviewers these days either stick their neck out, or have the room to do so.

Fredescu

Gazunta said:
Pretty sure lead times for print are the same now as they were 26 years ago, so I think it's just money :)
I don't think "fewer reviews of higher quality" would really work in the internet age.

HolyCheck said:
emailed the transport ombudsmen.

I rang Myki today and said why do I need to pay $5 to get my account out of the negative (to which he snarkly replied, no only $4) and he said they can't do it. I need to go to a store or train station and put $4 onto it.

me: So because YOUR SYSTEMS screwed up and caused me to not be able to queue up passes, thus creating a gap of 3 - 5 days in which my account went into negative because I was having to buy tickets with cash, and test my card to see if my pass was working, you want ME to fix the issue?

him: Yes.

me: Ok just so you know, as this is your fault I will not be doing that, and I will board the bus with my pass that has a 28 day pass that can't be used due to your fault, with print out of adequate emails proving the fault is at your end.

him: You need to travel with a valid ticket

me: well it looks like I wont be

him: are you aware if you travel with that then you will get fined by the inspectors.

me: yes.

him: ok then

me: good. bye.
Haha, yes myki and metro are like that. Screw public transport, just get a car. Mitcham to Fitzroy is 20 minutes via the eastern freeway.

Gazunta

Jintor said:
Looking at Hyper's occasional double-reviews, co-ordination and getting extra copies out of publishers is quite tricky, especially on time.
I'm happy to send you guys 3 copies of our games instead of the usual one if that will help.

Jambo: Yeah, massive headache kicked in and my eyes just stopped working for ten minutes. It was not exactly a relaxing event.

Jintor

Choc said:
yeah it costs a lot to send 3 journos on a junket to the US.

also gaz you should know this, i'll tell you what happened

debug fucking units is what happened. and how rare they are in Australia

:lol :lol :lol

Also true

Choc

Banned
Fred makes an interesting point. A lot of this bullshit began with the internet age and the amount of information one person can consume in a day.

Print cant compete with that so they need to adapt. If you don't you die.

The goose has done a good job in adapting PCPowerplay and Hyper to the new age. Interesting articles etc

so has EDGE.

You dont buy print for the reviews, you buy it for the editorials and articles on interesting shit

you go on the net for reviews

If most reviews are so ridiculous, why even bother to read them? In fact why care about reviews at all?

Real steel received horrible reviews, yet I went to watch it and quite enjoyed it. Sure it wasn't a great movie, but I had fun and got my money's worth. Isn't that all that matters.

midonnay

I'm suspicious why it cost so much money to run wikileaks....

its not like they're trying to be the world's encyclopedia like wikipedia.... they should be able to survive on a shoestring budget and an army of volunteers.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
DeathJr said:
Haha, yes myki and metro are like that. Screw public transport, just get a car. Mitcham to Fitzroy is 20 minutes via the eastern freeway.

Don't like to drive.

ombudsmen just said, because you technically travelled on that day you will owe them something, I said OK I'm quite happy to have them deduct 10 days off my 30 day pass that i've been riding either for free or buying tickets. but i'm not paying the $4 to fix the fault. it's a matter of principle!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Man I'm sick of posting things on Twitter and people not reading what I say properly or reading it as a 'fanboy' post. Not just Nintendo either, apparently I can't have an opinion on things unless I'm being a poster child for the opposition.

Just because I didn't jizz in my pants like everyone else about Batman doesn't mean I'm some sort of rabbid Nintendo fanboy who can't think straight because I've played too much Zelda and I'm on the Nintendo happy juice. For the record I finished that game, something I don't even do to that many games.

This past week has revealed a lot to me about the industry I write in. A lot.

Jintor

Anyway, tonight is Xenoblade night. Which will probably end badly because the weekend was Xenoblade weekend as well. Heck, this might just end up being Xenoblade week.

I really better start that media paper tonight.

VOOK said:
This past week has revealed a lot to me about the industry I write in. A lot.

Are you seriously still getting harrassed by 'industry professionals'?

midonnay

DeathJr said:
If most reviews are so ridiculous, why even bother to read them? In fact why care about reviews at all?

Real steel received horrible reviews, yet I went to watch it and quite enjoyed it. Sure it wasn't a great movie, but I had fun and got my money's worth. Isn't that all that matters.

I don't really rely on reviews by themselves because of possible bias from a single opinion but I see the usefulness of metacritic as a time saver.

Most people are time limited and can only watch so many movies or play so many videogames..... so its a good risk analysis tool.

Take Real Steel for example. IIRC, it got a meta score of 59 which may without context look like something to avoid.

but movie reviewers are a hell of alot more harsher than videogame reviewers (and more elitist too) so there are often a wider range of scores.

Furthermore, its also an unoriginal blockbuster which is an easy target for elitist reviewers.

Taking that into account, anything over 50 might be a decent watch and worth taking a chance.

Anything in the 30's and below should be avoided like the plague (although I've seen several exceptions like the Butterfly effect which was universally panned but still an enjoyable watch)

Where it gets stupid is when people use metacritic scores to espouse the greatness of one product over another.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Jintor said:
Are you seriously still getting harrassed by 'industry professionals'?

Not that one anyway, he didn't even reply.

But yup, people in the industry.

midonnay said:
Where it gets stupid is when people use metacritic scores to espouse the greatness of one product over another.
Also the way Rotten Tomatoes works is different to Metacritic. Metacritic basically averages the reviews, where Rotten Tomatoes just looks at whether it's positive or negative, and comes up with a percentage based on that. A 10/10 is given the same weight as a 6/10 in that the reviewer "liked" it.

Basically if you asked 100 people to put their hands up if they liked a movie, that's what Rotten Tomatoes gives you, and ignores the weight of the "like". I find it pretty accurate actually. Even if I watch a movie that on Rotten Tomatoes has a 90% positive rating, I still may not like it, but I can tell it's a well-put together movie.

Top Bottom