• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Choc

Banned
VOOK said:
Man I'm sick of posting things on Twitter and people not reading what I say properly or reading it as a 'fanboy' post. Not just Nintendo either, apparently I can't have an opinion on things unless I'm being a poster child for the opposition.

Just because I didn't jizz in my pants like everyone else about Batman doesn't mean I'm some sort of rabbid Nintendo fanboy who can't think straight because I've played too much Zelda and I'm on the Nintendo happy juice. For the record I finished that game, something I don't even do to that many games.

This past week has revealed a lot to me about the industry I write in. A lot.

ok the fact you run a nintendo only site does not help in this regard mate :) It's a lot easier to go after you because of that.

but i agree

Choc

Banned
Rotten Tomatoes is a much better system than metacritic and i find myself agreeing with it a lot more than i agree with mc

DSC_0033.jpg

Had this awesome parma for lunch.

midonnay

I like IMDB too for movies..... rule of thumb

below 6 - don't waste your time

below 7 - rental if bored

above 7 - worth a go.

for regional movies though have to be careful due to the bias of a single ethnic group muddling up the scores.

eg: fucking indian movies.

Also, if less than 500 votes be wary.

Shaneus said:
PS. What the shit, people! Get onto Sequence. It can be AusGAF's very own Uncharted 3.

Got a code from Feep, installed and tried it over the weekend but it crashed in the tutorial. Saw in the OT that other people had the same problem so I decided to wait for an update and just haven't gotten back to it yet.

Going to eventually though, what I saw of the dialogue was great and I can't say no to a game with Ronald Jenkees' music.

DeathJr said:
RT is very unreliable. Even if someone posted a fresh review but had more criticism than praise, RT counts that as a positive review.
If a review has more criticism than praise, why would it be counted as a positive? And anyway, why would it matter, once you have 100 reviews the odd mistake like that is evened out.

Using IMDb ratings is a bad way to go. Anyone can review anything at any time, including while it is in development hell.

Yagharek

EGM used to be quite good for reviews back in the late 90s/2002 era. Then they died in the arse.

I don't think Ive come across any review outlet I'm completely enamoured by, although retro gamer does a great job because they dont have a hype cycle to follow up on. Often the first time they mention a game is when they review it.

Fan sites and single platform mags can also be oddly reliable, once you know their scale, because they dont have the issue of reviewing a game in the context of all the baggage any given platform entails.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Choc said:
ok the fact you run a nintendo only site does not help in this regard mate :) It's a lot easier to go after you because of that.

but i agree

I can't help what other people think of me.

midonnay

codswallop said:
Using IMDb ratings is a bad way to go. Anyone can review anything at any time, including while it is in development hell.

thats why you have to be wary when its under 500 votes......

once you get into the thousands, the inertia of real people overwhelms the sock puppets.

Jintor

Box of Bunnies said:
Got a code from Feep, installed and tried it over the weekend but it crashed in the tutorial. Saw in the OT that other people had the same problem so I decided to wait for an update and just haven't gotten back to it yet

Got fixed the day after release, so you're in the clear. Get to it!

Fredescu

Omi said:
Cool, but, live action trailer? Could be game of thrones.
I tend to agree with RPS:

"At RPS we absolutely cannot fathom the purpose of live action videos. It’s like a new movie advertising itself as a theatre performance, or BBC 1 trailing the new series of Strictly Dr Who Lottery as a book. Games are made of game, not film. But, still the nonsense continues, and the latest is an incredibly high-value production for Skyrim, featuring live-action dragons."

Omikron

Fredescu said:

"At RPS we absolutely cannot fathom the purpose of live action videos. It’s like a new movie advertising itself as a theatre performance, or BBC 1 trailing the new series of Strictly Dr Who Lottery as a book. Games are made of game, not film. But, still the nonsense continues, and the latest is an incredibly high-value production for Skyrim, featuring live-action dragons."

Pretty much. Guess RPS aren't getting a review copy.

Fredescu said:

Wait what? the dragon wasn't real? *world crushed*

Tend to agree, although the halo one that got done was cool, it was 50% aliens,20% sci-fi and 30% humans

Fredescu said:
Live action means real, right? I take this video to mean that Bethesda is breeding dragons to promote their game.

Oh *phew* i almost went into severe depression then that what i was being shown wasn't actually real. Why would they advertise me something that i am not going to get! These crazy developers these days. *Glares @ Dead Island,BF3,Skyrim*

Well that is highly disappointing. I am reading that BF3 campaign is crap/boring/no air combat/lame quick-time events/not a memorable story.

Anyone playing shed light on this? i was honestly expecting an excellently crafted campaign like BFBC2.

Jintor

Fuck. I've got to stop reading the Xenoblade thread while I'm in lectures. ALL I WANT TO DO IS PLAY.

Man, and I thought Batman had captured my brain. Xenoblade is like crack.

Jintor said:
Fuck. I've got to stop reading the Xenoblade thread while I'm in lectures. ALL I WANT TO DO IS PLAY.

Man, and I thought Batman had captured my brain. Xenoblade is like crack.

Least you can play! mine is still running like crap. I have been busy and my mate has been busy with uni work, he might be fixing it soon though.

legend166

Hahahaha IGN.

It takes you to the precipice of the Uncharted hallmarks you might expect, let's you stare at them, and then veers off in another direction.

Yes, the gameplay still revolves around climbing walls and shooting bad guys, but refinement found those mechanics. For the first time, the words "fun" and "useful" describe melee combat.

Dead Man

Fredescu said:

I agree with their point about cinematic aspirations in games... but anyone who can write the phrase 'live action dragons' loses all credibility.

Kritz

Banned
One exam down. Another one of those "I finished 1 hour early and am the first to leave so these marks are probably going to be scaled down into oblivion" things. Joy.

Marshmellow said:
Oh *phew* i almost went into severe depression then that what i was being shown wasn't actually real. Why would they advertise me something that i am not going to get! These crazy developers these days. *Glares @ Dead Island,BF3,Skyrim*

Well that is highly disappointing. I am reading that BF3 campaign is crap/boring/no air combat/lame quick-time events/not a memorable story.

Anyone playing shed light on this? i was honestly expecting an excellently crafted campaign like BFBC2.
Bfbc2 had a good campaign?

evlcookie said:
Damn you have spoken to public transport girls? You're beating me!
I met an ex that way. She was kind of a flower child.

I did notice throughout uni that I would only ever randomly meet cute girls when I was already in a relationship. It was most frustrating.

Doesn't matter anymore though. I wear the ring now, so I've disappeared off the radar as far as those things go. If any of you want, I can direct any randoms I happen to meet your way. You know, AusGAFer to AusGAFer.

Top Bottom