• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Marshmellow said:
Loved it, intense campaign that i enjoyed the entire way though and the comedic squad you go through it with makes it funny at the same time.
I found it boring. Humor was better in the first part. Vehicle segments, especially the tank one was painful.

Yagharek

Wait, are IGN saying UC1 and UC2 did not have fun combat and melee? I thought they were both pretty good.

This is just illustrative of the problem behind hyperbole-driven games media. The lowest common denominator sites like to outdo each other in terms of how much pretentious (yet hollow) language they can get away with, to tie in with the 10/10/10/10/10 review score they were asked to give it.

I suspect a few too many game reviewers have read Edge, tried to emulate it, but lack the intellect or wit to know what half of Edge's words even mean.

What IGN could learn from Today Tonight.

Choc

Banned
VKS have you noticed like me that since you got married girls tend to not be so uptight and edgy when you first meet them in a social or business environment

like teh wall is already gone as they know you are not hitting on them

hamchan

Choc said:
but refinement found those mechanics

what the fuck does that even mean!?!??!

Greg Miller is so shit at writing. Doesn't an editor or someone have to read over it and fix all his mistakes? I don't know how his reviews keep coming out in this state.

Choc said:
VKS have you noticed like me that since you got married girls tend to not be so uptight and edgy when you first meet them in a social or business environment

It is quite possible the wall on your side is also down without you even knowing it was ever there.

Choc said:

Don't know if you appreciate the input Choc but whenever i am out and about or meeting new people and my GF is either there or the people in question are aware of me being with someone i completely agree with you. In any situation i have found that it is much easier to talk to them, they don't sit there trying to read what you are after. You can just slip into a conversation both knowing there is nothing going on in the background.

legend166

More IGN goodness:

When I rant about why Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception is better than just about anything on the market -- about why I think it's my new favorite game of all time -- I don't talk about the firefights, the new ability to throw grenades back at enemies or collecting the game's 101 well-hidden treasures. I talk about the heart-wrenching section where Drake is by himself and completely lost. He's on his last legs, he's desperate, and I'm right there with him. I'm pushing him through the journey at hand and it's clear that it's a game, but as he stumbles, seeks shelter and loses hope, my heart breaks.

Okay, so do people really feel this way about Uncharted games? Am I just a heartless robot?

I'll just go on thinking these people are crazy.

Dead Man

legend166 said:
More IGN goodness:

Okay, so do people really feel this way about Uncharted games? Am I just a heartless robot?

I hope no one feels that way about uncharted games. They are good, but bloody hell, that is cringe inducing.

Choc

Banned
legend166 said:
More IGN goodness:

and you guys think i write hyperbolic bullshit. Also thats one huge spoiler really.

wow.

i've felt emotions in games before but nothing like that wtf.

legend166 said:
More IGN goodness:

It is like playing through a movie. I love it and it is because it makes me feel like i am in the story like a good old RPG would. i loved FF7 because i felt involved with the story.

These games don't come along too often anymore. I think it is still a matter of weather you like it or not and weather you care. I am not fanatical about it but hands-down the uncharted series is one of my favourite games ever.

Yagharek

legend166 said:
More IGN goodness:

I say this as a big fan of the Metal Gear games, but it seems like he blows it all out of proportion like a lot of people did with MGS4's microwave corridor scene.

By comparison, a simpler more powerful (if thats the right word) moment can be had at the end of MGS3 where you have to press the square button. That was kind of like the guilt-inducing moments of Shadow of the Colossus I guess.

But I wouldnt attempt to write poetry about it like Mr IGN seems to have done.

hamchan

legend166 said:
More IGN goodness:

I don't think I've felt that about any game.

As much as I love Uncharted, that is a bit overboard.

But isn't Greg Miller the "Dead Space 2 is a great game. I'm going to tell you why it is a great game" guy? Does anyone expect anything better from that guy?

wandered into the UC3 review thread. At first I was like "Oh Boy!"

Samleaping.jpg

then I wandered in here. "Oh Boy!"

Sam-Beckett-quantum-leap-2214894-450-338.jpg

but then I realised the game doesn't come out till next week anyway and I was like:

Sam-Beckett-quantum-leap-304550_412_586.jpg

tl;dr using Quantum Leap references to illustrate my reaction to UC3 reactions.

legend166

Marshmellow said:
It is like playing through a movie. I love it and it is because it makes me feel like i am in the story like a good old RPG would. i loved FF7 because i felt involved with the story.

These games don't come along too often anymore. I think it is still a matter of weather you like it or not and weather you care. I am not fanatical about it but hands-down the uncharted series is one of my favourite games ever.

Yeah, but...it's like playing through a direct-to-DVD sequel in The Mummy franchise. Did anyone tear up when Rachel Weisz 'died' at the end of The Mummy Returns?

Unbelievable. Door to door marketers are now using tablets to fill in your information. Fill, upload to the internet, send to company. Instant approval, instant sale registered and commission paid out. Damn.

Choc

Banned
a more apt comparison Legend is did anyone tear up when
elena looks like she was dead in UC2

UC2 endgame spoiler

I did a replay of UC1 and UC2 earlier this year. UC1 hasn't aged well in terms of gameplay (the shooting sections specifically) or graphics (those grenade explosions!) but UC2 is still great. Will be interesting to see how naughty dog tops 2.

Choc said:

Most of the time yes. I have gotten into the habit of mentioning my wife in the first thirty or so seconds of conversation upon meeting a woman. The change is often palpable.

In some odd cases, though, the answer is no, but I suspect that's due to the person in question being awkward in general.

legend166 said:
Yeah, but...it's like playing through a direct-to-DVD sequel in The Mummy franchise. Did anyone tear up when Rachel Weisz 'died' at the end of The Mummy Returns?

It feels like playing through a tin-tin/indiana jones/(treasure movies with Nicholas cage) mix
but in a game. No it isn't engaging to the extent of crying for a game character or anything like that. You need something like "Marley and Me" to get me to tear up, but i also really like dogs.

But it does get me involved enough in the story and gameplay that it puts the game that extra tier above the rest of the stuff on the market.

Bernbaum

ClivePwned said:
I did a replay of UC1 and UC2 earlier this year. UC1 hasn't aged well in terms of gameplay (the shooting sections specifically) or graphics (those grenade explosions!) but UC2 is still great. Will be interesting to see how naughty dog tops 2.
That's exactly what I'm expecting.

Played UC1 a fortnight ago and the gunplay was not great. I remember playing Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
esoteric Rez-inspired AusGAF reference from 2009 motherfuckers!
and thinking 'Yes, this will age gracefully'.

Yagharek

The closest a game has brought me to tears is the Cortana level in Halo 3 and the fucking cheap wall hugging flood fuckers. Ruined the game.

legend166

hamchan said:
I don't think I've felt that about any game.

I definitely haven't.

I watched the last 30 minutes of Con Air the other day. I got more emotion from that movie than I have from any video game ever.

I MEAN COME ON, him meeting his daughter for the first time, giving her the bunny and then hugging his smoking hot wife, with Leanne Rimes coming on in the background? All this after chasing down John Malkovich on a motorbike with John Cusack at his side? ;_;

Omi said:
Ok, admit it, who cried like a big fucking girl when Aerith died.

Spoiler

Didn't tear up but i had EPIC case of sadface. Pretty sure i stopped playing for a little bit just to comprehend that the game had just killed off one of my characters and one of my favourite party members at that.

Salazar

Choc said:
if its anything like the 360 version it is ok.

let me know how PC is i've ummed and ahhed over the steam DL for ages

Pretty fucken sweet. Done the tutorials and played a few little matches.

I like how the player in the tutorial goes crazy celebrating when he "successfully completes a kick for touch".

legend166 said:
I definitely haven't.

I watched the last 30 minutes of Con Air the other day. I got more emotion from that movie than I have from any video game ever.

I MEAN COME ON, him meeting his daughter for the first time, giving her the bunny and then hugging his smoking hot wife, with Leanne Rimes coming on in the background? All this after chasing down John Malkovich on a motorbike with John Cusack at his side? ;_;
On top of a fire truck, no less. I know that feel, bro ;_;

Fredescu

Omi said:
All the joking about lack of emotional content in video games is why it can never be an art form. Ever.
Why? The joking, or the lack of emotional content? The former has happened with plenty of new media in days past, and the latter, I haven't seen a painting or sculpture or anything that has reduced me to tears.

Top Bottom