• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Ydahs said:
Any chance of the Zelda + Wiimote bundle being worth less than $90? I can import it from TheHut for $76, but I don't think I can wait an extra three weeks (although I will have Uncharted 3 ready to play).

Doubt it.. but where is everyone buying from? that TheHut place is that PAL? I assume so

I'm not fussed where I get it from.. just need it

i've not imported a game before :( sept american DS ones off amazon.. so i dont know where to hunt for the bargain!

PS3 port problems are mostly overblown, although frame rates can be bad in places for Bayonetta which really defeats the purpose. My Slim has been perfect. Orange Box had bad loading times, nothing more.

bodyboarder said:
Anyone seen uncharted 3 adveristed cheap in aus? Ozgameshop have it for $65 preorder.
commanderdeek said:
Someone mentioned this morning that you can get the special edition for $78 at Harvey Norman. Pretty good deal I reckon!
Getting this price matched at EBgames as soon as street date breaks. Will be running out of work and everything. Too bad we don't have a Big W here.

Fredescu said:
I've known people hold technically sound ideas in this manner, because it makes sense to them internally, but then fail to be able to communicate those ideas to other people because they lack a common frame of reference with other people. Like how I'm probably failing to communicate this right now.
I'll post here rather than the other thread as it will most likely be taken in more, I feel that religion comes down much more to straight out faith rather than coming to a logical conclusion, like you say with people coming up with an internal conclusion that probably doesn't make any sense. Accepting that you can't control everything and can't explain everything and putting faith in an idea that has been implanted in our society by people that you are just going to take their word for.
Nothing wrong with religion as long as it does not harm other people. My son is Uniting and will continue to be until be decides not to. At the moment it means he goes to a lovely day care every Thursday and has developed far and away better than if he spent the time cooped up with the gf all day. Their church also seems to spend most of their time helping each other and spreading the good stuff about God rather than worrying about accepting every small detail. Hell, the female minister even said that she didn't believe that the conception of Jesus was immaculate but the meaning behind the story was the important thing to hold.

Salazar said:
Californication Season 4. Hope this at least has some boobs.
FANTASTIC BOOBS, story not so much.

Yagharek

What are the slim ps3 like build wise though? Do they still have jet engine fans, or are they pretty quiet? Do they have an internal or external power brick? Do they collect dust
matte or gloss finish?
?

And everything is tied to the psn account isnt it, so if I have gameshared in the past I want to disable the current system and then reactivate the account on the new one, yes?

Ydahs

HolyCheck said:
Doubt it.. but where is everyone buying from? that TheHut place is that PAL? I assume so

I'm not fussed where I get it from.. just need it

i've not imported a game before :( sept american DS ones off amazon.. so i dont know where to hunt for the bargain!
Yeah, TheHut is PAL. Just pre-ordered Uncharted 3 for $58 and Mario 3D Land for $45 from there.

I've imported most of my games recently using that site, but I think Zelda SS and Mario Kart are going to be the two exceptions.

Shaneus

BanShunsaku said:
You, Sir, have impeccable taste.

Lake Bell, humanahumanahumana
Everyone needs to look it up... season 2, episode something. Such a surprise because they kept them hidden in season 1. Kid Cudi is one lucky motherfucker.

Deeku

RandomVince said:
What are the slim ps3 like build wise though? Do they still have jet engine fans, or are they pretty quiet? Do they have an internal or external power brick? Do they collect dust
matte or gloss finish?
?

And everything is tied to the psn account isnt it, so if I have gameshared in the past I want to disable the current system and then reactivate the account on the new one, yes?
Very quiet. I think there's a little brick thing. Everything is tied to psn account, not sure about the gamesharing bit though.
matte

Yagharek

Just started SOTC in HD. Game has aged technically, but still very beautiful.

Killed the first one, feel guilty. I think I only ever got up to maybe the 7th or 8th one back on PS2. Forgot what distracted me from it. Probably MGS3.

commanderdeek said:
Very quiet. I think there's a little brick thing. Everything is tied to psn account, not sure about the gamesharing bit though.
matte

Oh good. Mine currently sounds like a jet engine about to take off. Havent had any problems with it, but given its a 60G unit, its inevitable. I think Game still take trade ins for it. EB dont.
Even better

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Ydahs said:
Yeah, TheHut is PAL. Just pre-ordered Uncharted 3 for $58 and Mario 3D Land for $45 from there.

I've imported most of my games recently using that site, but I think Zelda SS and Mario Kart are going to be the two exceptions.

Ah interesting thank you. I just realised an extra $170 charge on my bank card i'm not sure what it's for so I think i'll wait.. that and I havent had an elec or water bill yet in 4 months :(

Yagharek

commanderdeek said:
matte

Just another Q, does that include games that have since been delisted a la Outrun 2? Ive got it, but its no longer on the store.

Deeku

RandomVince said:
Just another Q, does that include games that have since been delisted a la Outrun 2? Ive got it, but its no longer on the store.
You should be able to re-download it by going to your downloads list in the store.

Fredescu

reptilescorpio said:
I feel that religion comes down much more to straight out faith rather than coming to a logical conclusion, like you say with people coming up with an internal conclusion that probably doesn't make any sense.
Yeah, I wasn't saying that all or even that many religious people are like that. It's more common among conspiracy nuts actually. If you've ever tried to debate a hard core conspiracy nut, you'd notice a lot of similarities to than Ryan guy. To remain internally consistant, they cut themselves off from their means of verification.

Yagharek

Fredescu said:
Yeah, I wasn't saying that all or even that many religious people are like that. It's more common among conspiracy nuts actually. If you've ever tried to debate a hard core conspiracy nut, you'd notice a lot of similarities to than Ryan guy. To remain internally consistant, they cut themselves off from their means of verification.

Having debated a couple of hardcore conspiracy nuts (all of whom are from queensland, incidentally) I'd say there is a bit more of a difference. In fact I would say that conspiracy theorists seem to have a larger proportion of psychosis type traits than your run of the mill religious person does. In fact, there are some eloquent, devout religious types who are quite intelligent and normal best describes them.

But Ive never met nor heard of a conspiracy theorist who isnt batshit insane.

Also, because it came up in that thread, the term "word salad" is used to describe one of the traits that is common as an indicator of psychosis, eg schizophrenia. There is some overlap.

99% of religious people are probably normal. 99% of non-religious people are probably normal. (Both within a spectrum). I'd wager that 50% of conspiracists are most definitely not normal, and a high proportion of them may indeed be space cadets.

RandomVince said:
matte or gloss finish?
?

Super quiet, no problem with dust since it is matte. Inbuilt wifi and hdd is a huge plus too. Love the XMB setup and the PSN is really functional now, much better than on 360. PSN+ is great too. They even have a spot for new arrivals and anything on discount which I wish they had on 360.

Not sure on deactivating accounts. I had one on my housemates PS3 and just entered my details on the PS3 and it was up and going with no problems.

commanderdeek said:
You should be able to re-download it by going to your downloads list in the store.
You can indeed, worked for me when I got my new PS3. Had a boat load of free LBP DLC to redownload.

Fredescu said:
To remain internally consistant, they cut themselves off from their means of verification.
It is a really common defence mechanism for traumatic experiences in life, rather than work through the issue the mind cuts you off from the reality of the situation so as to avoid any possible self harm that can come from it. It is incredibly fascinating how damn intelligent our brain can be and how powerful it is. We are truly capable of anything and I wish I could be around in 200 years time to see how we can harness the power of the mind.

Yagharek

I might call Sony tomorrow then, before I entertain the thought of going any further. Just to clear up the status of my activations and outrun 2. Thanks to reptile and deek for your input to date. :)

reptilescorpio said:
It is a really common defence mechanism for traumatic experiences in life, rather than work through the issue the mind cuts you off from the reality of the situation so as to avoid any possible self harm that can come from it. It is incredibly fascinating how damn intelligent our brain can be and how powerful it is. We are truly capable of anything and I wish I could be around in 200 years time to see how we can harness the power of the mind.

343ho41.jpg

Keep an eye on OzBargain for a cheap PS3 as the other day JB ran out some 250Gb bundles for $218, super low stock though. Generally the 160Gb seems to be around $280 mark.

RandomVince said:
I like the cut of your jib. Also Dark City looks amazing on Blu Ray. Also I really want to play Silent Hill 2 again now.

Also Limbo on special on 360 for 600 points! Score! Also Harvey Norman have 1500 points for $19 again, go go go!

Also Golden Eye 007 REmake broke street date lol

Yagharek

reptilescorpio said:
Keep an eye on OzBargain for a cheap PS3 as the other day JB ran out some 250Gb bundles for $218, super low stock though. Generally the 160Gb seems to be around $280 mark.

I like the cut of your jib. Also Dark City looks amazing on Blu Ray. Also I really want to play Silent Hill 2 again now.

Dark City is a great film. I hated it the first time I saw it, but it grew on me for some reason. I'd go so far as to consider mentioning it in hushed tones after Bladerunner or The Fifth Element. There is a strange link there, trust me.

Also - seen a film called Immortel (ad Vitam). It's based on Enki Bilal's comic 'The Nikopol Trilogy' and also has a similar, though low budget and bad CGI, tone.

I have a 320GB HDD in my old PS3. I assume that I can still use that in a new one, though not straight out if I had to do a content transfer. So I might just do a system backup and then copy everything over to the new one. 160G will suffice.

I might sit and wait til all the big games are out too, then see what $mas bundles appear.

edit: Goldeneye Wii was the real deal. People should get the HD one if they havent played it yet. Its great fun.

Most exclusive PS3 games can be gotten for around $28-38 from OzGameShop. Even Killzone 3 has been under $20 several times now already.

Also too bad that Proyas hasn't done well since Dark City, fuck Knowing was a piece of shit. Horrible script.

OneMoreQuestion said:
Screw Goldeneye, I want Drake 3
:mad:
Believe me, if it was Drake I would have been down at HN causing a ruckus.

RandomVince said:
Also - seen a film called Immortel (ad Vitam). It's based on Enki Bilal's comic 'The Nikopol Trilogy' and also has a similar, though low budget and bad CGI, tone.
Oh man I love the Nikpol trilogy! Will have to track it down. Also noticed they made a P&C Adventure which was coincidently made by the dude who did Amerzone and Syberia.

Yagharek

reptilescorpio said:
Oh man I love the Nikpol trilogy! Will have to track it down. Also noticed they made a P&C Adventure which was coincidently made by the dude who did Amerzone and Syberia.

They did? I got the trilogy a few years back from Amazon. Sort of like a hardcover coffee table format.

evlcookie said:
Oh i know.

I even find the nerdy asian chick to be kinda hot, maybe cause she's nerdy and awkward as fuck, it's cute!
Olivia Wilde is impossible to follow but Odette Annable is super hot too. Take in mind I don't watch House so I am just piecing this together through wiki.

Shaneus

I haven't PC gamed much recently, but if anyone wanted to know the AMD Catalyst 11.10 drivers were released. Barely made the mark, too... given the numerals after the dot are meant to represent the month, they came out... yesterday. Bravo, AMD.

Shaneus

Bernbaum said:
lol Shaneus owns Kinect! Hahahahaha!
You would too if you knew Tim Schafer was behind a Sesame Street game for it.

OR

You would too if you wanted to play Child of Eden in the most immersive way possible.

OR

(this space to be updated)

INCOMING!

Jintor said:
What you're saying Choc is that journalists can't have enthusiast lifestyles as well? Should I stop posting about how I really like certain franchises and not other ones? Are words less powerful than an obviously over-dramatised video of him holding Skyrim?

And I hope you responded to him, not just to us
I don't agree with Choc. I may not agree with the vim and vigour that he does but I definitely see his point and support it. Now, the mistake could be that we see videogame journalism as something that it's not or as something it should strive to be. That games journalists or reviewers should be something more than enthusiasts that allow their excitement to be compromised by the hype.

This isn't a case where I don't believe that the industry can't be enthusiasts. Simply put, any industry needs it's enthusiasts to become part of the critical media; the last thing you want are those with no interest in the field making comment. Instead, what you want to know is that those committing their views to the public have a love for the medium that is tempered by a professional level of impartiality.

As a stand alone video, I can see it's intent. As a video posted by the upcoming reviewer and (I think I read somewhere) the reviews editor, I find it all ill advised act.

reptilescorpio said:
She spent $1 million on the cake. Only 1/4 of it was touched. They literally threw away $750,000.
I'm sad.

Jintor said:
It's closer in style to knowing Bajo has a batman thing and giving him Arkham City
Not quite. If he then posted a video which conveyed "I don't care the quality of this product, I love it already" then yes. I agree with matching up reviewers with interest but only if they've proven that their critical judgement comes before personal bias. Bajo can, if professional enough, not only judge the use of the Batman character but also use his experience as a reviewer to rate the technical merits of the game.

If Bajo were to openly admit to loving all Batman merchandise, movies and video games because they star Batman rather than writing a review that highlights the area in which Arkham City failed it's source material and missed obvious opportunities then I would agree with not giving him the assignment.

Choc said:
ok

well you can't bloody shit all over game journalists saying they are unprofessional and shit when you say its ok for them to do something that dumb

he should have waited to post the review to post the video.

just my opinion

they can like games, but i think it gives a perceived view to the reader that the review can't be trusted
Agreed. He should have posted a review that had expertly worded and reasoned ideas that put him in a position beyond reproach and solid critical grounding and then posted the video. However, as review editor, he probably shouldn't have done so at all. His job as review's editor is to ensure that all reviews put before him are reasonable and without the slant of personal bias. If his judgement is flawed can he be trusted to realise when other people's view have been coloured?

viciouskillersquirrel said:
So I loaded up BG&E for the first time, played 15 minutes and had to turn it off. Holy headache-inducing graphical glitchiness, batman!

My PC runs Bioshock at max settings at like 600fps. How does this even happen?
Ubisoft. Reigning champion of crap ports of their own titles.

Choc said:
i managed to post in here about coldplay without being told lol thats shit why you listen to that
Clearly you had enough on your hands, what with taking of Joystiq and NeoGAF.

reptilescorpio said:
Sounds like differing opinions. Which is expected when not everyone believes the same thing. He is shit at his job but that does not mean posting a tongue-in-cheek video means his opinion on a game should be considered null and void.
Not null and void, tainted. Don't get me wrong, though, if I had seen this video separately I wouldn't have posted it (heck, I didn't even realise who it was) but I find myself in the strange position of agreeing with choc (just not as super strongly as he does), so I'm interested in seeing where this crazy situation will ultimately take me.

Rez said:
I can't deal with everyone having legends avatar.
Join us. Joooooiiin usssssssss.

jambo said:
Fuck.

Yes.

N2D34l.jpg
WOOKIE JEDI!

VOOK said:
Just vomited in my mouth. Fun times.
Just see the 3DS line up for next year?

Jintor said:
It depends on the publication and journalist in question. Given that Justin McElroy has a comedic podcast, engages in generally comedic behaviour in general, and that that video was fucking clearly an overdramatised hilarious parody of a game descending from heaven unto a reviewer, reading it as a serious expression that will leak into his review betrays either a complex, nuanced understanding of Justin's failings as a reviewer or the fact that you're overthinking things.
Very well put. I do think, however, that the degree to which people accepted this video as being okay point towards a problem with games media. And comic book media, as well. The attitude that unless you are hyped and a massive fan then your opinion is worthless and that it is okay to be overcome by the product.

This view point may not hold as true for this guy (I'm not that familiar with him) but it is endemic of a fundamental flaw with some (a large part???) of the industries reviewers.

RandomVince said:
I'm a bit disappointed by the interest rate cut. Our savings for a home are in the bank, and given how unaffordable housing is, it'd be nice to see them rise from my perspective.

Oh well, its a trivial amount anyway in the grand scheme of things.

Also, just finished Arkham City. Got about 180 of the Riddler secrets, not sure if I want to try and find them all yet. Might trade it in for Unchart3d and pick up the Wii U goty version of Arkham City later next year.
I guess this answers my question from yesterday.

RandomVince said:
I also think Disruptor was the last good Insomniac game.
If you disregard Ratchet and Clank I guess.

reptilescorpio said:
The Ratchet & Clank games are fantastic. Loved Future 2 and is one of the few ongoing series for Sony that bring a lot of value to the platform. On that note I might replay the game this week with my son, would love the crisp visuals filled with colour and the fantastic voicework.
Good people like Ratchet and Clank. You are good people.

RandomVince said:
I dunno, I found the R&C games were flat and soulless. Granted, I only played the first one and the first one on PS3. Both felt very much 'by the numbers' a la voodoo vince or blinx the cat. Technically impressive games, but I always felt they lacked the soul of Jak 1, or Crash Bandicoot 1 and 2.
Confused. This leaves me confused. Have I entered Biazarro World? Any world that labels Blinx as a bad game is a a world gone mad. MAD!
You're absolutely right. About Blinx. That is all.

roosters93 said:
Why we still got nightmares? And why do kids have more of them.
Apparently to train our fight or flight reactions while we sleep. True story.

3chopl0x said:
So looks like War in the North is delayed two weeks in Australia

How the fuck can they justify this shit, especially on Steam?
To spread the load on their servers. You don't want all of Australia hitting your servers at the same time. That would be suicide.

Salazar said:
Californication Season 4. Hope this at least has some boobs.
Yes.

RandomVince said:
I guess that opens up the question: how are PS3 versions of the following games seen?
Vanquish, Bayonetta, Deus Ex, Child of Eden and Portal 2?
Excellent Poor Great Okay Steam

The gap is diminishing in most 360 PS3 comparisons but every once in a while their is a game of huge discrepancies i.e. Ghostbusters, Bayonetta, Red Dead Redemption.

RandomVince said:
matte or gloss finish?
?

Quality build (so far), whisper quiet, internal power supply and a relatively dust resilient matte finish.

Everything is tied to your account, so you can just activate your product on the website, log into your PSN ID and carry on like nothing's changed... once you redownload everything.

reptilescorpio said:
Also Dark City looks amazing on Blu Ray.
Ah, Melissa George...

Bernbaum

reptilescorpio said:
Probably my favourite song by an Australian artist.

Also one of their new songs they showed off on tour this year. Very happy with the heavier slant.

Aussie artists? I used to work with Jackie Marshall. She's lovely.

Giants of Science are my all-time favourite Aussie rock band. They're from the great city of Brisbane. That film clip is old, but it's a ripper track.

And the one band I can almost guarantee no-one here has heard but me would be Rival Flight. It's mopey as all hell, but hey, this track takes me back. They too are from Brisbane. Do listen.

I got quoted FOUR times! Suck on that!

Although 2 were disagreeing with me. But I will fight to the death for your right to be wrong.
Silly me! No opinion is wrong and that is the most important thing that this forum needs to remember. Too much shit throwing out there in the other sub-forums. At the end of the day this is a hobby for us and we are all expressing our opinion on ethics and such. Not everyone will share the same ethics as each other, which is what makes this world interesting and worth waking up to.

Kerrby

Banned
Did anyone catch American Horror Story tonight on Channel 11? VERY strong pilot episode, very creepy, very tense, very scary.

That's all I'll say.

Yagharek

reptilescorpio said:
I got quoted FOUR times! Suck on that!

Although 2 were disagreeing with me. But I will fight to the death for your right to be wrong.
Silly me! No opinion is wrong and that is the most important thing that this forum needs to remember. Too much shit throwing out there in the other sub-forums. At the end of the day this is a hobby for us and we are all expressing our opinion on ethics and such. Not everyone will share the same ethics as each other, which is what makes this world interesting and worth waking up to.

I got quoted 5 times, including a broken one.

Yagharek

Planet_JASE said:
Confused. This leaves me confused. Have I entered Biazarro World? Any world that labels Blinx as a bad game is a a world gone mad. MAD!
You're absolutely right. About Blinx. That is all.

I wasnt saying blinx was good, just soulless. As is R&C.

Platformers with soul are a rare breed. Mario has it. Sonic used to. Crash used to. Sly Cooper has it. Jak used to. Ratchet never did. Klonoa had it in spades. A Boy and His Blob has it. Tomba did, if you could find it.

Echoplx

Costume Quest is currently 5$ on Steam, it includes the DLC for free.

If you don't own this game already, buy it. Now. So full of awesome.

Bernbaum said:
You're taking this Halloween avatar thing too far BanShunsaku, TOO FAR!
He is a triple threat.
Swan. Scary. Swan (again).

(During the great Plagarism war of 2011-2011 I was hoping to find a picture of Swaney doing the duckface but google failed me :( )

3chopl0x said:
Costume Quest is currently 5$ on Steam, it includes the DLC for free.

If you don't own this game already, buy it. Now. So full of awesome.
It only came out a week ago and it is already 2/3 off? That is nice and all Mr Schafer but where is the next new game?!?

Top Bottom