• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Yagharek

Jintor said:
A) I never said anything about being 'pro' or 'anti' licence. They just exist. Stop being so bloody antagonistic.

B) I disagree with the assertion that licencing serves no purpose if copyright exists, since licencing - as you have noted - deals with an associated bundle of rights that the intellectual property holder can essentially offer or trade to others.

I guess you can disagree with the idea that intellectual property holders have the moral right to impose certain licence terms upon consumers, but that's a disconnect between the law and perceived moral rights. In purely legal terms the IP holder possess the rights.

A) I'm arguing against the law. Stop personalising my criticisms of it.

B) Additional rights asserted by licensing approaches what is known as anti-competitive or cartel like behaviour. These licenses, don't forget, prevent you from importing from ozgameshop or play asia. They prevent you from selling the game to a friend. Or lending it, even. These rights have no basis in reality when they fly in the face of national parallel importing laws or private citizens rights to do so, as well as the rights we have to sell anything we own.

IP holders have the right to combat piracy but not importing and lending. The first is a crime, the second and third are not.

Gazunta said:
Cosigned :p

Clive, weird that it's not showing up - it's up on the US store.

You're not missing anything

well,
depends on what I'm missing, doesn't it? credit where credit is due and all that

I'm not saying it has definitely been broken Choc, settle down. I'm just saying that it looks like it will be broken this afternoon.

If they call me and say I can pick it up I will be sure to tell them they're gonna be in some serious shit.

Street dates :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Why anybody would care about the release date being broken for a hand holdy linear movie game is beyond me.

*hopes Myer/Kmart broke it*

Fredescu

RandomVince said:
Stop personalising my criticisms of it.
I assume he's responding to when you spent two paragraphs doing exactly that yourself:

RandomVince said:
If you agree with licenses jintor, as you said earlier, then you must never ever sell or lend your games to anyone.

Further, licenses are region limited, so it is also violating the license if you import games as well. Or sell them overseas like a limited edition of Infamous 2 to a Scandinavian AusGAF visitor.

So since I can only assume you are pro-license, and have never imported, loaned, sold or bought a game used, then you most certainly aren't a hypocrite in which case I cordially invite you to notify Warner Bros Interactive that I intend to trade in my copy of Batman at EB Games Carousel, in the suburb of Cannington tomorrow morning. I trust you will arrange the necessary documentation to prevent this heinous crime from taking place.

edit: Oops, missed a line.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Chocs gotta make sure his #1 work-related-company game of the year doesn't get broken early.

I'm tempted by the HN still, Fuck! I do own the CE of uncharted 2, so why not the CE of uncharted 3? It makes perfect sense.

Choc

Banned
Gazunta said:
Cosigned :p

Clive, weird that it's not showing up - it's up on the US store.

You're not missing anything

And Choc yeah you bet I'll be F5'ing the usual places like crazy on the 11th :)

hmm someone just posted on whirlpool they think someone from sony is watching

which one of you buggers is on that thread :p

if only they knew eh

Choc

Banned
can't go into deets but the embargo for UC3 is one of the toughest ive ever seen in terms of punishment

also as an fyi majority of Kmarts/Targets/Big Ws/DSE's/basically anyone who sells stuff OTHER than games or entertianment

is only getting the game this morning/afternoon

I always assume with street date breaks that it is never done on purpose, but more likely some person who has no idea of what they are doing who just grabs the game from out back and sells it.

Sounds like with BF3 it was a different story, but I don't think normally it is done by a retailer to gain advantage, more like a Kmart monkey selling something by mistake.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
EatChildren said:
It speaks volumes that I hiked to EB many years ago after moving out of home for the first time, to the city no less, to pick up a Collector's Edition copy of Oblivion for PC, and this year I couldn't give a single fuck about Bethesda's latest turd.

Call me when the modders fix it.

Yeah I have no care in the world for Skyrim.

Wish my mate still owned his game store, he'd always give me things as soon as he got them. The Wii, Modern Warfare 2, Halo 3 lol

Got Halo 3 early just to piss off a mate.

Choc

Banned
BanShunsaku said:
I always assume with street date breaks that it is never done on purpose, but more likely some person who has no idea of what they are doing who just grabs the game from out back and sells it.

Sounds like with BF3 it was a different story, but I don't think normally it is done by a retailer to gain advantage, more like a Kmart monkey selling something by mistake.

indeed

which is why the usual suspects of tools got it today

Omikron

legend166 said:
I'm still unsure on what jintor is arguing.

Jintor, are you saying that reselling games is illegal?

I don't think Jintor was arguing about the legality of anything necessarily. But there is certainly a question of whether you actual 'own' anything when you purchase a game.

Same goes for say, you own an xbox/or other such console. You can have your account/console banned off the network if you modify your console, surely if you own the console you can do what you like with it right?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
You know some people might have UC3 already from an Australian retailer and not be posting anything.

W836u.png

Yagharek

Fredescu said:
I assume he's responding to when you spent two paragraphs doing exactly that yourself:

edit: Oops, missed a line.

But I said he had never and would never do such a thing! He is a paragon of virtue in that regard.

Choc

Banned
VOOK said:
You know some people might have UC3 already from an Australian retailer and not be posting anything.

W836u.png

no doubt vook, but as long as it doesn't go viral and crazy, we'll be fine

like i said UC2 DIDNT break. We fully expect UC3 not to

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Choc works for Sony?

Fuck that shit.

*bans*

hamchan

I believe I own games when I buy them. If I ever can't play my games on Steam because they ban my account, i'll see it as my right to pirate every single game that was on it.

legend166 said:
I have no qualms with not owning discs. I own around 200 games on Steam.

I have qualms with:

- High prices
- Regional pricing (with no way around it)
- No competition
- Annoying DRM

They all exist in some form or another on the console DD platforms.

annoying DRM, but you said you have over 200 steam games. no make sense in my brain.
my rule is "if i cant pirate a game, it has annoying DRM"
that said i dont want to pirate games, but given the choice ill take a disk version with something like a cd key or leave the disk in the drive over steam anyday excluding drastically reduced prices.
also
Choc said:
can't resell steam games.
well isnt that a thing now, you can trade games for other steam stuff incl games, essentially the same as reselling for store credit which is pretty much all you get thesedays.

pilonv1

Choc said:
The street date has NOT broken and anyone that sells will be in serious shit let me tell you

There are people watching the usual outlets as to where the first news breaks like a hawk.

That's what is said every time and nothing ever happens.

edit: should have read the other posts before replying.

Deeku

EatChildren said:
Choc works for Sony?

Fuck that shit.

*bans*

I'm actually still unsure since I remember choc referencing the atmosphere at EA offices when Battlefield's street date was broken like a week ago lol.

But whatever. I have no reason to not believe him.

Choc

Banned
I know what punishment JB has been served with over BF3.

Let's just say they will be a lot more careful next time.

Choc

Banned
commanderdeek said:
I'm actually still unsure since I remember choc referencing the atmosphere at EA offices when Battlefield's street date was broken like a week ago lol.

But whatever. I have no reason to not believe him.

I have friends @ EA? I rang them when i found out to see how they were, if they knew?

:)

hamchan

Choc said:
I know what punishment JB has been served with over BF3.

Let's just say they will be a lot more careful next time.

A stern warning? I can't see EA having the power to give fines or anything.

Omi said:
Same goes for say, you own an xbox/or other such console. You can have your account/console banned off the network if you modify your console, surely if you own the console you can do what you like with it right?

Nonsequiter. You can do whatever you want with your console, the network is a separate service.

Choc

Banned
pilon not only did jb break but they defied an order by EA to stop selling once EA found out 1 store was selling

and instead told everyone to sell nationwide

Ban, amongst other things. They will get EA games 1 day before from now on as well for a little while and there were other things that have been triggered in the terms of trade agreement

Fredescu

Gez said:
So whats the next step? How do we use this to get cheap games?
Get the government to remove all customs duties from DD games. Oh wait, there already isn't any. That agreement has nothing to do with price parity.

Omikron

Box of Bunnies said:
Nonsequiter. You can do whatever you want with your console, the network is a separate service.

Sure, the service is separate to the console hardware and actually playing a game, but you can't tell me that they aren't considered as a whole when that product is sold and certainly marketed as such.

Card Boy

Banned
Fredescu said:
Get the government to remove all customs duties from DD games. Oh wait, there already isn't any. That agreement has nothing to do with price parity.

Fuck i thought i was onto something here.

Fredescu

Gez said:
Fuck i thought i was only to something here.
It's just to prevent the Australian government from putting import tariffs on goods made overseas so they can be price competitive with locally made product. Without it, in theory, games could be even more expensive. In practice, the government barely recognises video games as an industry, so such a tariff is unlikely ever to exist.

pilonv1

Choc said:
pilon not only did jb break but they defied an order by EA to stop selling once EA found out 1 store was selling

and instead told everyone to sell nationwide

Ahh I've seen that happen before. Not on such a big game though!

They will get EA games 1 day before from now on

If street dates are such a concern I would think that this is a better option than sending up to a week early. However I'm sure there's some logistical decision for it.

Rezbit

Hey what how come Arkham City was $50 on Steam for ages, now it says it's $100. Did someone forget to press a button? Were people able to get it for $50, or are they now like "lol just kidding more money please"?

Top Bottom