• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

jambo

Rezbit said:
Hey what how come Arkham City was $50 on Steam for ages, now it says it's $100. Did someone forget to press a button? Were people able to get it for $50, or are they now like "lol just kidding more money please"?

Aussie Steam game prices are often cheap for the first few weeks they are on the system. Then they jump up to retail levels.

Omikron

Rezbit said:
Hey what how come Arkham City was $50 on Steam for ages, now it says it's $100. Did someone forget to press a button? Were people able to get it for $50, or are they now like "lol just kidding more money please"?

This isn't the first time a game has magically jumped in price close to the actual release date. ;)

Jambo :x

Card Boy

Banned
Rezbit said:

You know things are fucked up when EBGames is selling it cheaper (at $88)

45JxU.png

https://www.ebgames.com.au/pc-150938-Batman-Arkham-City-Steelbook-Edition-PC

pilonv1

Rezbit said:

Should we mention that it was actually $40 if you owned Arkham Asylum too?

jambo

Will SEGA make a stink if Sonic Generations breaks street date?

A retailer not getting the next Sonic game might not actually be a bad thing :lol

Omi said:

You ain't the only PC guy around here =P

SO i just went to EB, asking if any cancellations on explorers edition had been made. They had. So i now have a pre-order on that. He told me i also had a pre-order on Diablo 3 collectors which i made 18 months ago supposedly. rofl

so now i have a pre-order on UC3 and D3 at JB and one at EB....freaking hell.
lol

Dead Man

Rezbit said:
$100? LOL

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
jambo said:
Will SEGA make a stink if Sonic Generations breaks street date?

A retailer not getting the next Sonic game might not actually be a bad thing :lol

Well EB just started selling it, so lets find out. Serrels get on it!

Choc

Banned
Gez said:
So whats the next step? How do we use this to get cheap games?

Technically on steam you are not importing the product

you are buying it from the local publisher, unless you are buying a US/EU only product

Axiom

VOOK said:
Heard nothing from EB about my Sonic Gen pre-order, but frankly I don't want to go there two days in a row if UC won't break

Edit: Seconds after posting this, EB sent me a text to pick it up.

Fredescu

Choc said:

you are buying it from the local publisher, unless you are buying a US/EU only product
You're buying a product made overseas, so technically you are. In the case of import tariffs on cars, it didn't matter if you were buying it from the local dealer. The tariff was imposed because it was made overseas.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
1970s batman suit and an animated movie? for $88?

Why the fuck did i buy it for $25 for then!

So with Rez working at JB. Does that mean I can waltz in and you will hook me up with UC3 CE for $78?! :D

Choc

Banned
Fredescu said:
You're buying a product made overseas, so technically you are. In the case of import tariffs on cars, it didn't matter if you were buying it from the local dealer. The tariff was imposed because it was made overseas.
but fred if that was the case the retail games would have to be the samae price in both regions

Dead Man

Choc said:

US law says transferring code is exporting. Ask Phil Zimmerman.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Anyone ever ripped a youtube video before? I used to use a site to do it.. and I was wondering if anyone knew any good ones? basically just after a site where you put in a youtube link.. and it rips the file

no dodgy reasons, just my friends using windows movie maker and cant work out how to publish to .avi or anything.. only to youtube... so it would just be easier :(

Rezbit

If you want to see some fucked up stuff go and look at that "Naked woman climbs inside a dead horse thread."

Pretty much shows why less and less I'm going into the other forums - gaming is full of annoying fanboys and general childishness, and OT is full of people like in that thread, saying "OMG DAT ASS!" among other things. Eh.

Fredescu

Choc said:
but fred if that was the case the retail games would have to be the samae price in both regions
What? How are those two things even connected? An import tariff is imposed so locally made products can be sold at a higher price than they would if they had to naturally compete on price, to allow local industry to get fat and lazy benefit. The actual price in various regions has nothing to do with it.

Choc

Banned
Fredescu said:
What? How are those two things even connected? An import tariff is imposed so locally made products can be sold at a higher price than they would if they had to naturally compete on price, to allow local industry to get fat and lazy benefit. The actual price in various regions has nothing to do with it.

yeah sorry

what i meant to say was in the true nature of the FTA it should be that both are sold at the same price....

of course import duty fucks that up

legend166

As Fred said, the FTA protects against government interference in pricing to protect local goods.

Publishers being greedy dicks, sadly, does not fall under the FTA ;_;

Not sure how relevant DotA 2 is to AusGAF but valve has put up a survey that you can do that will put you in the pool of players that they will be pulling from for the next stage of the beta. http://blog.dota2.com/ for details. If you get in you also get two invites to send out.

Fredescu

Choc said:
what i meant to say was in the true nature of the FTA it should be that both are sold at the same price....

of course import duty fucks that up
That's not the "true nature" of the FTA at all. It's just an agreement between governments not to interfere in the market to unfairly disadvantage imports. "The local market" (ie publishers) are allowed to set the price to whatever they want.

Choc said:
what if you download it from 3fl
Where the end user gets it from is irrelevant. The code had to be imported to get here in the first place, since it was made overseas.

MrSerrels

VOOK said:

I already did the troll 'Guess what game broke street date' for Goldeneye. Do I risk the ire of the Kotaku readers by posting another?

Doncamatic said:
Not sure how relevant DotA 2 is to AusGAF but valve has put up a survey that you can do that will put you in the pool of players that they will be pulling from for the next stage of the beta. http://blog.dota2.com/ for details. If you get in you also get two invites to send out.

Highly relevant mate. According to the official post it "Secures" you a spot, so i think if you fill it out you are guaranteed an invite.

See here

jambo

Doncamatic said:

I got one of those emails, going to fill out the survey when I get home.

Marshmellow said:
Highly relevant mate. According to the official post it "Secures" you a spot, so i think if you fill it out you are guaranteed an invite.

See here

Even better. That's what I get for skimming it briefly before filling in the survey.

VOOK

MrSerrels said:
I already did the troll 'Guess what game broke street date' for Goldeneye. Do I risk the ire of the Kotaku readers by posting another?
I think you need to, though technically Generations may not have had a street date.

Frawdder

Doncamatic said:
Bleh, no where to indicate that I've never played DOTA before (I guess two matches of LoL might count in a way). I guess they don't want complete newbies playing the beta...time to input random numbers!

Omikron

Frawdder said:
Bleh, no where to indicate that I've never played DOTA before (I guess two matches of LoL might count in a way). I guess they don't want complete newbies playing the beta...time to input random numbers!

I think they would be after both experienced players and complete newbies... gotta get a nice cross section of people to know how accessible the game is.

Gotta sell them hats!

VOOK

Choc this is bigger news than a date, that's a Saturday and means Mario Kart 7 will be out wroldwide within a four day window.

NAL has never done this before.

guidop

HolyCheck said:
Anyone ever ripped a youtube video before? I used to use a site to do it.. and I was wondering if anyone knew any good ones? basically just after a site where you put in a youtube link.. and it rips the file

no dodgy reasons, just my friends using windows movie maker and cant work out how to publish to .avi or anything.. only to youtube... so it would just be easier :(

keepvid

Deeku

Awww, us importers get boned.

HolyCheck said:

If you're on a mac, you can just do "option cmd a" and double click the link to direct download.

Dead Man

HolyCheck said:

I use download helper addon in FF.

Top Bottom