• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Bernbaum

Anyone here who isn't Rez or Hamchan that has played their retail copy of Uncharted 3 that can lend insight on the perceived aiming issues in the single player?

jambo

Jintor said:
I heard war has changed.
But they say war never changes!

OdRQR.jpg

Omikron

jambo said:
My ThinkGeek order took 5 days from the US.

Yeah, hence why this order was presumed lost and I got sent new shirts around 2 weeks ago. I thought this package was that one. :lol

Now if the replacement shows up, will have duplicates of 6 designs. 2 of the original order were out of stock, so there are 2 different ones in the 2nd package.

Rahk

Bernbaum said:
Are you on drugs or did you just step out of a time machine from the distant past?
What are you talking about? Yes, I realise no one uses PC as the lead platform these days, which is why I said "if only" in the context of the trailer looking like it was running on PC.

Choc

Banned
serrels i am disappoint 'GAME MANAGED TO MAKE STREET DATE' article doe snot exist

small outbreaks sure, nothing crazy tho

yay UC3 :D

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I'm changing my review scale on Vooks from 10 scale to 5 Star ratings. So much easier. I'm expecting a backlash when some games drop from 9/10 to 4/5.

In the end I want people to read our reviews, because our reviews are not just crap we actually go deeper than the mass sites which just spew out reviews in a day.

Shouldn't 9/10 be 5/5?

Just got with 'Not recommended', 'Recommended' and 'Highly Recommended' or something.

Choc: Seen the HMZ-T1 yet?

Jintor

Gazunta said:
Why not get rid of scores entirely Vooks?

Or replace them with cartoon mascots

I give this game an Extreme Vooky.

Six out of five rubber chickens!

Vookies you guys played Mass Attack already right?

VOOK

Gazunta said:
Why not get rid of scores entirely Vooks?

Or replace them with cartoon mascots

I give this game an Extreme Vooky.

I'm not ready to ditch the scores yet, but at the moment we score each part of the game (Graphics, Sound etc) and then give the overall score and blurb text. It's just too much and people can just read that and be done. It's blagh I don't like it anymore.

If we only give them a 5 Star score (which everyone understands) and a big old block of good review, they might be more inclined to read it to figure out why we got that. Some people won't still though.

codswallop said:
Shouldn't 9/10 be 5/5?

Just got with 'Not recommended', 'Recommended' and 'Highly Recommended' or something.

Choc: Seen the HMZ-T1 yet?

It'll be 4 and a half stars for old games. But moving forward may or may not even do the half stars. Not yet decided. Thoughts?

Jintor said:
Six out of five rubber chickens!

Vookies you guys played Mass Attack already right?

Have had it for months from Japan, awesome game. :D

Jintor

I haven't looked at any other Mass Attack reviews (still writing mine), but I have a feeling they will follow this basic formula:

1st Paragraph: Kirby games are great experimental games that are overlooked by consumers

2nd Paragraph: Nobody cares about Kirby stories

Rest of review: THIS GAME IS AWESOME AND SUGARY AND CUTE BLARGH

VOOK said:
It'll be 4 and a half stars for old games. But moving forward may or may not even do the half stars. Not yet decided. Thoughts?

Stick to your guns and avoid half stars. If you wanted half stars you'd have stuck to the /10 system.

Ditch the graphics, sound, etc scores and have an overall one. The point of a score on your site is really what? Whether you recommend a game? To provide a point of comparison against other games in that system? I guess you need to figure that out first.

Edit: Missed your response Vook. Stick with full stars. Having half stars is still having ratings out of ten.

I'd ask Choc for free games, but then he'd also have to provide a promo PS3. Sooo... Make that happen.

VOOK

Yeah we removed like a whole paragraph of story exposition from our Kirby in Dreamland review lol.

Yeah still torn on the stars issue. Not sure what to do. :/

Jintor

Game ratings aren't precision instruments and I don't think you should represent them as such. That is what the words are for.

If you must stick with scores, keep the original scores in your database, but stick with only five full stars rounding it when it is displayed on the page.

But I say take the less-travelled path and do away with some sort of numerical thing altogether. If it can be translated into a Metacritic score, don't use it.

Edit: Or go with 4-stars (which is technically still out of five because no stars can still be a rating unlike with 5-stars which almost always use one as the lowest score) and confuse everyone!

Edit edit: Hell, you're a Nintendo site, why not use Mario coins or 1up mushrooms?

MrSerrels

VOOK said:
Yeah still torn on the stars issue. Not sure what to do. :/

Five stars is a good system. I understand wanting to get rid of scores entirely, but I tend to think it's a bit of a self-indulgent, ladeedah kind of move. Readers still want them, they still want to debate them. And not everyone wants to read a full review, even if they probably should.

Ydahs

I'm glad I chose to import Uncharted. There would have been no chance in hell I didn't play it as soon as I got it in my hands.

Just like my year 12 exams. Managed to complete the whole game and throw in some online right before my first exams :D

reptilescorpio said:
Wait, is that importing? So I have to wait a few extra weeks for it to arrive? If so, you can get the bundle from TheHut for $76.

Choc

Banned
MrSerrels said:
Five stars is a good system. I understand wanting to get rid of scores entirely, but I tend to think it's a bit of a self-indulgent, ladeedah kind of move. Readers still want them, they still want to debate them. And not everyone wants to read a full review, even if they probably should.

maybe all reviews should have a tldr; paragraph at the very end

that could work!

Ydahs

Omi said:
Yeah import, OzGameShop orders usuall take around a week to arrive to Melbourne.
A week? That means it'll arrive around the time it's released in Australia anyway.

In that case I might consider it, since I doubt the bundle will be that cheap locally.

MrSerrels

Choc said:

that could work!

Yeah that. I just have a problem with this hoity toity attitude of 'you must read my godly words to understand my review'. That works for people who are properly into the culture of video games, but not for those who are simply looking for some sort of buyer's guide.

For example, I like music, when looking for music to buy I often go to Metacritic, or maybe a site like Pitchfork. I'm certainly not going to waste me time reading through every single review to get a rounded look at each and every single album I'm thinking about listening to.

Also: Sorry about the lack of Uncharted makes street date story. Would have totally done it on a slow news day but... GTA V YALL.

Jintor

Choc said:

that could work!

Giant Bomb does something similar with its preview buttons, little one-sentence sum-ups that work really well for letting you know the general tone of the review.

Krorg

codswallop said:
If you must stick with scores, keep the original scores in your database, but stick with only five full stars rounding it when it is displayed on the page.

But I say take the less-travelled path and do away with some sort of numerical thing altogether. If it can be translated into a Metacritic score, don't use it.

Edit: Or go with 4-stars (which is technically still out of five because no stars can still be a rating unlike with 5-stars which almost always use one as the lowest score) and confuse everyone!

Edit edit: Hell, you're a Nintendo site, why not use Mario coins or 1up mushrooms?
Why would having Vooks reviews appear on Metacritic be a bad thing?

Choc

Banned
Krorg said:

Publishers take a lot more notice of what you write, for one and you get a lot more 'why is this 7/10' calls.

Shaneus

Scores out of 3 should be instigated. Forces people to use the full range of numbers, no 70%=shit theories. Think about it:

3/3 - Awesome, must play, best game it could be. Whole cake.
2/3 - Ain't bad. Not awesome, but you'll have fun with it because hey, if you have 2/3s of a cake, you ain't gonna be disappointed.
1/3 - Not great. Not a lot going for it, but you'll at least like a few parts of it. Small amount of cake.
0/3 - No cake. Woeful. Nothing to enjoy about it whatsoever.

The cake thing just kind of came to me while writing those up, but the "/3" thing still stands.

Gazunta

This is the best review system ever and anything else is not as good.

4064462738_de2961b363_o.jpg

Objective description of the game, 3 separate reviewers, and scores for Presentation, Graphics, Sound, Hookability, Lastability and an Overall rating.

Shaneus

Gazunta said:
This is the best review system ever and anything else is not as good.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2771/4064462738_de2961b363_o.jpg[IMG]

Objective description of the game, 3 separate reviewers, and scores for Presentation, Graphics, Sound, Hookability, Lastability and an Overall rating.[/QUOTE]
Those caricatures look to be in the same style as yours. Biased much?

[spoiler]I know the origin of your avatar, kiddo. Just yankin' yer chain :)[/spoiler]

Kritz

Banned
Chapter 7 in Uncharted 3.

Linear, awkward animations, baby's first platformer, "puzzles" lol, goofy novelty mechanics, offensively forced tutorials pausing the game until you press a button, unresponsive aiming, bullet spongey enemies, murder 30 dudes then in a cutscene when three dudes point their gun at you Drake gives up, ugly flat textures and noticeable popin, story is kind of interesting if not exactly the same as the last two games.

An 8/10 was being generous.

5/5 stars - kritz.net

Krorg said:
The additional exposure from Metacritic might not be so bad. But otherwise pretty much what Choc said. That and you're feeding into that awful trend where publishers provide bonuses etc. based on Metacritic ratings.

Deeku

So, that Uncharted 3 is pretty good!

I don't remember about the first two games, but I noticed a lot of recoil on the weapons. For instance, I'm just using a normal handgun now, and every time I fire it, the cursor moves up half a cm on screen and stays there. Maybe that's why people find the aiming a bit weird? I don't know.

Top Bottom