• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

jambo

These are the best reviews I've ever seen

LU0Gb.jpg

Bernbaum

commanderdeek said:
So, that Uncharted 3 is pretty good!

I don't remember about the first two games, but I noticed a lot of recoil on the weapons. For instance, I'm just using a normal handgun now, and every time I fire it, the cursor moves up half a cm on screen and stays there. Maybe that's why people find the aiming a bit weird? I don't know.
That aspect of the aiming mechanic is new and intentional: http://nghtyd.gs/tmONMR

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
MrSerrels said:
Yeah that. I just have a problem with this hoity toity attitude of 'you must read my godly words to understand my review'. That works for people who are properly into the culture of video games, but not for those who are simply looking for some sort of buyer's guide.

I'm of the opinion the score people will read the score and that's fine, that's how they digest information, the other people want to read something. We have a niche hardcore following, they want to read stuff, this is what they tell me.

codswallop said:
If you must stick with scores, keep the original scores in your database, but stick with only five full stars rounding it when it is displayed on the page.

But I say take the less-travelled path and do away with some sort of numerical thing altogether. If it can be translated into a Metacritic score, don't use it.

Edit: Or go with 4-stars (which is technically still out of five because no stars can still be a rating unlike with 5-stars which almost always use one as the lowest score) and confuse everyone!

Edit edit: Hell, you're a Nintendo site, why not use Mario coins or 1up mushrooms?

The stars will actually become Mario stars, you know with the face :)

Krorg said:
Why would having Vooks reviews appear on Metacritic be a bad thing?

I've applied, never heard back from them - it would be a good way to get more traffic and that's pretty much the only reason I'd want to be in there. That and we review some Wii and DS games that no one else does (crappy licenced games) so getting people to be aware that these games suck.

I have no problem with getting pressure from publishers asking about scores, I've only had it happen twice when we gave one game a extremely low score and when I talked about another Xbox game on Twitter (that they didn't even send me and might not even be coming to the Wii U).

If a publisher wants to fight about a score with me, let them. It's our opinion and if they don't like it then stop sending us things. We're honest.

Choc said:

Publishers take a lot more notice of what you write, for one and you get a lot more 'why is this 7/10' calls.
Isn't that an easy question to answer? It was only an OK game.
If they refuse to give you review copies publicise that. Gaming media doesn't seem to realise they have the power not the publishers

Shaneus

A sign I post on GAF too much: Currently in the middle of updating a case with some info when the user calls with an update to the case. I type in "Fake edit:", leave it there for a few seconds, before deleting it very, very quickly.

PS. My "out of 3" review scores should be mandatory. I plan on starting a review site solely based on that system. In fact, that would be a great way to force me to play through my bullshit backlog.

"Shane's Reviews of Games You Played Before He Did" sounds like a good title.

Bernbaum

Mum playing 'flower' on my PS3 and being captivated with it after so many years of confusion as to why her sons spent so much time playing stupid video games is one of my favourite memories ever.

Salazar

Californication Season 4 is junk.

Hank is a boring retard, his ex-wife is a boring and annoying retard, his daughter is a whiny bitch, the lawyer he's fucking doesn't show anything, Runkle is nerfed, there aren't random hookups anymore.

Dead Man

Bernbaum said:
Mum playing 'flower' on my PS3 and being captivated with it after so many years of confusion as to why her sons spent so much time playing stupid video games is one of my favourite memories ever.
:)

Choc

Banned
FallbackPants said:
Isn't that an easy question to answer? It was only an OK game.
If they refuse to give you review copies publicise that. Gaming media doesn't seem to realise they have the power not the publishers

as sad as it is this isn't true.

pilonv1

Why is anyone excited choc giving out copies of Uncharted 3? Surely everyone is more interested in the numerous copies of DanceStar Party he has to go around?

Bernbaum

Shaneus said:
A sign I post on GAF too much: Currently in the middle of updating a case with some info when the user calls with an update to the case. I type in "Fake edit:", leave it there for a few seconds, before deleting it very, very quickly.
Sheesh! That's pretty bad.

When I've had writers block at work, I've drafted up paragraphs of text in GAF because my brain is wired to write quicker here, and then copy-pasted it into my report.

At home, I'll lay spreadeagled on the living room floor playing Forza 4 with my laptop on my belly, twitter on my iPhone, and GAF on my iPad. If I read something neat on my iPad I feel like responding to, I'll open a tab on my MacBook and post away. Pretty secure in myself that this isn't an issue.

Kritz

Banned
evlcookie said:
Kritz has turned into me. Good uc3 review kritz!

My actual Kritz.net review was a bit nicer:

Uncharted 3
A lot of money, time and manpower went into making Uncharted 3 play itself.
5/5 STARS -- KRITZ.NET

Shaneus

Bernbaum said:
Sheesh! That's pretty bad.

When I've had writers block at work, I've drafted up paragraphs of text in GAF because my brain is wired to write quicker here, and then copy-pasted it into my report.

At home, I'll lay spreadeagled on the living room floor playing Forza 4 with my laptop on my belly, twitter on my iPhone, and GAF on my iPad. If I read something neat on my iPad I feel like responding to, I'll open a tab on my MacBook and post away. Pretty secure in myself that this isn't an issue.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not :(

On another note, Serrels now has me jonesing for some roast onion and rosemary Grain Waves knockoffs from Safeway. Fuuuuuuuck.

VOOK

Gazunta said:
Vook why aren't you running a PC site. I've got PC stuff coming out of my ears. Nothing for the Wii or 2/3DS. :/

Too many other people doing PC and HD console coverage good to bother. :p

VOOK

Fredescu said:
PC coverage is pretty bad. There's RPS and

This.

There's people who do better coverage than me for Nintendo as a whole, Australian based coverage though? Not really.

trinest

Jintor said:
My advince would probably be to write whatever the hell you like and just act surprised when an audience shows up.
Thats what I do.

Yes people read my blog- I'm as shocked as you are.

jambo

Jintor said:
lol, advince. Whoops.

All I can picture is a glass of water with Random written on the side of it. Then someone pours in powder from a box of Just-Advince, and out comes RandomVince.

Jintor

roosters93 said:
I forgot to ask before... wtf is going on in that GTA Pokemon poster with the chick without a shirt on? That's got to be fan art right?

N-no? It's probably just a changing scene. Might've been censored for US distribution, but Japan certainly wouldn't give two shits about it.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
roosters93 said:
I forgot to ask before... wtf is going on in that GTA Pokemon poster with the chick without a shirt on? That's got to be fan art right?

So is this your grandpa?

He said thanksgiving, so I doubt it.

Yagharek

jambo said:
All I can picture is a glass of water with Random written on the side of it. Then someone pours in powder from a box of Just-Advince, and out comes RandomVince.

Sounds good.

Btw someone tell me how bad uncharted aiming is. Do I get it or wait on a patch or denial of the problem? "You know, things miss" style.

Bernbaum

RandomVince said:
Sounds good.

Btw someone tell me how bad uncharted aiming is. Do I get it or wait on a patch or denial of the problem? "You know, things miss" style.
That's the question I've wanted answered all day.

I genuinely wasn't sure there was some issue with retail copies of the games or whether it was an intentional design choice that is perturbing the experience for many players. The Naughty Dog community manager was skittish with accepting what members in the other thread were doing a pretty good job of describing and his aloofness has me thinking it is an issue that will not be rectified with a patch. Some people don't seem to notice it at all and I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and try the game for myself.

The way Rez describes it, it's almost a game-breaker.

jambo

roosters93 said:
Ah course.

After this I was going to ask how Jambo knew how old he was. My first guess was Reddit and upon checking it happens to be the top post.

I also posted his age in this very thread ;)

Occasionally, like today, I like to walk into EB and marvel at the clueless prices on offer. This reminds me that while my hobby* is as unaffordable as it's always been with new games costing about the same as they did when I bought SNES games with my pocket money, my hobby is also more affordable than it's ever been.

For instance, Brink was $110, as was Rage. Halo: Reach still commanded $100.

* Not doing lines of coke off hookers, in case you were wondering.

Also: Been married to my wife today for five years and together for eleven.

Also also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vnvyZQoGjSo

Jintor

I still browse game shops out of some kind of sense of ridiculous nostalgia. I don't know why. I should go hang out at King's Comics instead. Though their prices are retarded, too.

Jintor said:
I still browse game shops out of some kind of sense of ridiculous nostalgia. I don't know why.
I think that's also part of it. Those times where I'd stand in Hi-Tech Game Centre on Franklin St in Melbourne just looking at the games and figuring out which one I was going to take home were fantastic times.

But now I already know everything about the games I'm looking at, and the place has a million 'for sale' signs everywhere, the music is usually annoying and the place often smells like nerd.

Dead Man

codswallop said:
Occasionally, like today, I like to walk into EB and marvel at the clueless prices on offer. This reminds me that while my hobby* is as unaffordable as it's always been with new games costing about the same as they did when I bought SNES games with my pocket money, my hobby is also more affordable than it's ever been.

For instance, Brink was $110, as was Rage. Halo: Reach still commanded $100.

* Not doing lines of coke off hookers, in case you were wondering.

Also: Been married to my wife today for five years and together for eleven.

Also also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vnvyZQoGjSo
Damn, those boys don't play. And congrats to you, and commiserations to the wife.

Gazunta

I think I _might_ have ten minutes spare tonight to play Daytona. That's pretty much the extent of my gaming these days. It's probably why I just stay on AusGAF and don't bother with the gaming side - it's not that i don't care about games like Batman or whatever, but I know there's no way in hell I'll ever actually get the time play them properly so don't bother getting interested.

Top Bottom