• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Kerrby said:
Now who's stealing who's posts.

gauntlet.jpg

Bernbaum

Uncharted 3 aiming issues update:

Naughty Dog's community manager has sourced direct input from GAF members in the Santa Monica area near their studios to visit the developer in response to perceived issues with the aiming controls. Arne's post here is the clearest admission that ND are looking into it, and many are assuming this may lead up to an eventual patch for the controls. His post has since been split into a new thread. There have now been three threads on gaming side regarding Uncharted 3's aiming.

Is the game broken?

No.

I've twiddled with the sensitivity, modified my playing style slightly, and am enjoying firefights. I do make these twitchy little 'taps' to shift the reticule, however, the game's auto-assist is generous. I'll happily complete the game in its current state. It's not broken, but it's clearly not as fluid as Uncharted 2.

The aiming issues are not a technical flaw - they were designed that way. Some people are okay with it, for others it's a frustration that diminishes their enjoyment of the single player campaign. If the game is patched to play closer to UC2, I'll re-play it immediately and I daresay I'll probably enjoy it more.

Yagharek

So to me the UC3 aiming issues sounds a hell of a lot like pixel counting/digital foundry analysis. I'm sure the details are true and present, but I wonder if it will even concern me?

To put it into a practical question - have you ever wandered into a firefight and felt like the controls were handicapping you? ie can one compensate for it after a little while playing, or do you regularly wind up with a "WTF I shot him?!" reaction?

Salazar

RandomVince said:
To put it into a practical question - have you ever wandered into a firefight and felt like the controls were handicapping you? ie can one compensate for it after a little while playing, or do you regularly wind up with a "WTF I shot him?!" reaction?

Worst aiming I have ever encountered: crossbow in The Cursed Crusade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzoxGf7gOAs

This shit just felt horrible. Horrible when it didn't work, and horrible when it did the work for you.

The aiming has changed style to get gamers playing a more close quarters, melee based attack. The fist fighting is an easy way to clear some bad guys. The shooting is fine once you get used to it, the increased kickback on the guns takes some getting used to. The action sequences are much lengthier than the other games too, which may be taking its toll on gamers as they need to keep hitting targets for longer than they are used to.

The reaction has certainly stirred Naughty Dog from being mildly concerned about how the change is being accepted to now rethinking the policy and it definitely looks like they will patch it out. Hopefully they find a nice middle ground between the 2 styles that still suits the level and encounter design.

Very impressed with their approach to responding to the community at the very least.

RandomVince said:
No. Once you adapt it is fine. The start of the game has barely any gunplay so that is why the reaction might be a little overblown. After the first 5 or 6 encounters I had changed my style enough to make it comfortable. I tend to find it easier to line up my shots from the hip and then bring up the aim and then fire rather than looking down the barrel all the time.

Bernbaum

RandomVince said:
There is a period of adjustment for veteran players of Uncharted. Once over that hump, aiming controls are second nature and you'll be choosing targets and adapting to the fight with minimal concerns for the control issues. I will probably load a mid-game UC2 save after completing UC3, just to get a feel for how big the difference is.

Put the reticule over the targets face, pull the trigger, and he will drop - there are no "WTF I shot him?!" moments that you are concerned about. The issue, for now, is getting the reticule where you want it to be. The reticule 'slides' along the x- and y-axes, with diagonal aiming hard to pull off as it will 'snap' to one direction. As such, you'll make a bunch of staircase-like patterns whilst aiming to get the reticule on target.

A bigger issue for some than it is for others, one that I am cognisant of in my 48% level of completion of the game, but for me, certainly not a game-breaker.

im no reptile or jase so im just going to say it all here.
turns out they dont make enough heist movies.
bank job, inside man Italian job remake and heat i have all seen many times and enjoyed.
sure i will count inception as a heist movie yet have also seen that a few times.
i just finished watching the town and it was ok i guess couldnt get over the mad men guy or the fact that one of the gang members has less lines and face time than the extras.
jambo i think i saw some of the original but maybe i will come back to that
there was some less common, for lack of a better term, suggestions so i shall see if i can find copies of those.
thanks for the suggestions.

Yagharek

VOOK said:
I was playing it last night, had no issues. :/

Thats enough for me.

I may come across as part of 'uncharted gaf' when I say this, but I enjoyed UC2 more than any Indiana Jones film. But I'd like to think I'm not thought of as being as mad as that lot.

So I hope UC3 is good. The first two really captured that adventure film style well. Except for those fucking annoying wraiths and tank warriors.

hamchan

RandomVince said:
So to me the UC3 aiming issues sounds a hell of a lot like pixel counting/digital foundry analysis. I'm sure the details are true and present, but I wonder if it will even concern me?

Well I don't know about you guys but I'm an expert at Uncharted and UC3's controls frustrated me because it made me feel like I had gotten worse at the game. It's definitely harder to put the crosshair over an enemy in UC3 compared to UC2, and take note this is before a shot is even fired so I'm not talking about recoil. It's bearable and I can probably still beat the game on crushing like this but I think it was an unwise design decision. People like the feeling that they are fully in control of their actions.

Dog Day Afternoon, which I suggested, isn't really a 'heist' movie, but it does heavily revolve around a bank job and has Pacino at his best.

RandomVince said:
Thats enough for me.

I may come across as part of 'uncharted gaf' when I say this, but I enjoyed UC2 more than any Indiana Jones film. But I'd like to think I'm not thought of as being as mad as that lot.

So I hope UC3 is good. The first two really captured that adventure film style well. Except for those fucking annoying wraiths and tank warriors.

You'll love the third.

It's a Chie(TM) Guarantee ;)

Yagharek

Gyah. Too many conflicting opinions from ausgaf trustworthy sorts.

I'm going to assume it will bother me sometimes and other times not. Because I know none of you are lying.

If it forces you into melee more often that is fine I guess. I did enjoy it in UC1/2 as it encouraged a bit more of a chaotic approach to battles. Or fluid, perhaps. Kind of like an ongoing goalmouth scramble in PES.

BananaArnie said:
bank job, inside man Italian job remake and heat i have all seen many times and enjoyed.
sure i will count inception as a heist movie yet have also seen that a few times.
i just finished watching the town and it was ok i guess couldnt get over the mad men guy or the fact that one of the gang members has less lines and face time than the extras.
there was some less common, for lack of a better term, suggestions so i shall see if i can find copies of those.
Here is a list.
Here is another one.

Try some random ones you like the sound of.

RandomVince said:
If it forces you into melee more often that is fine I guess. I did enjoy it in UC1/2 as it encouraged a bit more of a chaotic approach to battles. Or fluid, perhaps. Kind of like an ongoing goalmouth scramble in PES.
Melee works a LOT better. I rarely used it in UC1+2 but I have found it really, really handy so far. Quite enjoyable to include the surroundings in the beat down too.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Kerrby said:
Is that the Commonwealth Bank one?

Ridiculous.

Yeah they must be on the same ad network as us, it's happening on my site too.

I emailed and complained and told them to remove it. Still hasn't happened.

Deeku

Vince, stop thinking so much about it lol.

Go buy your PS3, buy UC3, play it, then come back and bitch about it if you feel the need to.

Bernbaum

RandomVince said:
There is more melee action this time around, but I don't think it's as a result of the new aiming controls. The combat seems to gravitate towards melee towards the end of firefights.

I've had several 'arenas' play out like this: stealth kill half a dozen guys on patrol; aggro a ranged-weapon guard; firefight plays out and Drake thins enemy numbers; remaining enemies move in resulting in Drake cleaning up the scraps in a fist-fight.

Several confrontations have played out that way. It's pretty great, meaning the gameplay is dynamic through each successive attacking style. The increased melee component towards the end results in more quasi-cinematic sequences as the camera closes in on Drake busting heads against rocks, and it leads into the end-combat 'refresh/recover' period in a stylistic way that is as direct result of the players actions. As such, it is 'cinematic' but not in hand-holding, on-rails manner.

I knew about the control issues before putting the disc in, I noticed it immediately in the game's first firefight, but it is not breaking the experience for me at all.

Choc

Banned
its funny that the ALRC is going to come out and say the industry should self regulate because the Government intervention is pure politics

funny that isnt it and they have just been proven right.

Also real journalist doing real journalist work. Serrels contacted Smith for comment

Choc

Banned
i hope mediawatch pick this up

and then Getup send it to the ACMA

Two reports to ACMA over Seven in a month? That would get the ACMA investigating their dodgy practices

The last five years if not shorter has represented a complete shift in our media in Australia and its for the worse. It's as if the new round of journalists get their degrees from cereal boxes they aer that fucking bad

There is no ethics, none and they are using Twitter and Facebook to find stories.

Laurie Oakes made an incredible speech recently at an event about how the media is now shit and Ray Martin said its shit as well. Both of them are correct.

Yagharek

Which is ironic, because only one of ray martin and laurie oakes was occasionally doing what amounted to real journalism anyway.

Dead Man

Anyone ever have a moment when they see a mod name they don't recognise? So strange.

BananaArnie said:
Dog Day Afternoon is worth chasing up, not a traditional heist film, but a great film none the less. Only things I can think of that have not been mentions are The Score and Oceans 11. Shit, forgot Thomas Crown Affair. Fun film. Shit, and Sneakers. Great film with outdated hacking but cool none the less.

Also, fuck FF spellchecker for not recognising heist.

Edit:
Choc said:
Fucking shitbags.

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:
Which is ironic, because only one of ray martin and laurie oakes was occasionally doing what amounted to real journalism anyway.

in todays media climate frontline woudl rate 2 million+ easily i reckon

people are pissed off

Ray Hadley went bananas at a teacher yesterday live on air saying she is a lazy shit for striking when they work 40 weeks a year and 6 hours a day

http://danhaesler.com/2011/11/03/an-open-letter-to-ray-hadley-of-radio-2gb/

Yagharek

ClivePwned said:
D-Gen need to make Frontline again.

Whats that rule about parody and hardcore religion? The more extreme the parody, the harder it is to tell apart from the real thing?

I reckon if they brought back Frontline, they'd actually steal viewers away from channel 7, 9 and 10. 7pm project, ACA and today tonight are all the same, and morons who watch them would be none the wiser.

Choc

Banned
lumping project with ACA and Today Tonight is grossly unfair

they do not run around interviewing people without telling them (QLD MAKE THIS ILLEGAL ALREADY...) and then broadcast it to teh world.

Yagharek

Choc said:

bullshit, its just as bad. They have a farcical and superficial level of detail on any given story, and the tone comes across as disingenuously as a Sunrise expose. Usually ending with a call to ban or regulate something that doesnt need it.

In fact, its probably worse because its masquerading as something more insightful.

Jintor

Choc said:
There is no ethics, none and they are using Twitter and Facebook to find stories.

I don't mind using Twitter and Facebook to find stories (it's really just another method of expanding your network of contacts), but the investigation after you've picked up that initial lead needs to be actually legit.

For instance, finding out about stuff on GAF is fine, but not if all you do is re-assemble what has already been discovered and pitch it as your work.

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:
bullshit, its just as bad. They have a farcical and superficial level of detail on any given story, and the tone comes across as disingenuously as a Sunrise expose. Usually ending with a call to ban or regulate something that doesnt need it.

In fact, its probably worse because its masquerading as something more insightful.

which is why it rates its tits off in the 18-35 category

they don't run around barging into peoples houses going LOOK AT THIS CON MAN, HOW MUCH IS FOOD, ELECTRICITY PRICES ARE KILLING YOU.

edit: yes Jintor, sorry twitter is fine but they need to check their fucking sources and they never do

midonnay said:
does Point Break count as a heist movie? >_>
Counts more as a Breakback Mountain type genre movie.

Choc said:
they do not run around interviewing people without telling them (QLD MAKE THIS ILLEGAL ALREADY...) and then broadcast it to teh world.
Also they are now on at 6:30pm. Which hurts my brain since I called them 7pm Project for so long. They also have a lot of great causes on the show and is more based on the opinion of the panelists rather than an agenda pushed down to them by management.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So i'm thinking I might just grab uncharted 3 from bigw tonight. I need to get some money out for my driving lesson tomorrow and big w is just around the corner. Might grab book 5 of a song of ice and fire while i'm at it.

Good chance i won't do either of that except get some money out.

How long is uncharted 3 anyway? I'm guessing this weekend will be more ausgaf BF3 and i should get around to finishing alice. So maybe i can't even play UC3 if it's a lengthy game.

Yagharek

Choc said:
which is why it rates its tits off in the 18-35 category

they don't run around barging into peoples houses going LOOK AT THIS CON MAN, HOW MUCH IS FOOD, ELECTRICITY PRICES ARE KILLING YOU.

I stopped watching it over a year ago because thats exactly what they were doing, minus the door barging.

Top Bottom