• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Danoss said:
I shot that on my Canon 7D and the Canon 10-22mm lens. As it brightened up, I changed from a 3 stop ND filter to a 10 stop ND filter. The tripod was a GorillaPod Focus, as I can't take my full size tripod with me on my motorcycle.

Nice shot there codswallop, where was that taken?
Man, I wouldn't mind that lens. Sounds pretty good. Shot was taken from a boat in Dubrovnik, Croatia.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
I say it was bottle feeding and poor workmanship
/comeatmehippies
#OccupyMcDonalds

PS. Daytona's attract mode is fucking awesome for cleaning the house to. Or having a shower. Or piss-farting around. Or browsing GAF.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
sigh. going to buy a vacuum cleanet. i cant afford an expensive one atm.. just going to hope an $80 one lasts atleast a few months

HolyCheck said:
sigh. going to buy a vacuum cleanet. i cant afford an expensive one atm.. just going to hope an $80 one lasts atleast a few months
Check out Godfreys. They pretty much always have a big sale on and you can get a great one for less than $100.

HolyCheck said:

Get one of the ones that say Henry on them. They look great. I don't know about the quality though..

Jintor said:
Damn you Kairosoft why isn't mega mall story on android yet ffuuuuuuuuu

and where's my game dev story 2?

I totally never bought all the Kairosoft games for my iPhone!
Should I get Mega Mall Story, Pocket Academy and Oh Edo Towns?
I'd just buy them straight away but the only game I've loved so far is Game Dev Story. I was disappointed by Hot Springs and Grand Prix.

Jintor

I'm getting really into Grand Prix Story. I know they all seem very similar, but minor stuff like the focus on competing performance in GPS differentiates it enough from Game Dev Story that I'm addicted.

The main reason I want to play Mega Mall Story is because I have an inkling it'll be similar to SimTower...

I'd love a seriously more complex Game Dev Story 2 though. Game Dev Story 2: Rise of the Indies!

I think I'm going to stop reading the Australian. I knew they were biased but until this Qantas thing came out I didn't know they would blatantly lie. Opened the paper this morning only to be bombarded with "YOU HEARD IT!!! HE SAID 'SLOW BAKED'!!! DOWN WITH UNIONS!!!". Frankly its getting boring. I was considering writing in a letter, but the chances they publish it are about -10%.

Jintor

The only paper worth reading is the SMH (don't know how it goes in other states)

I get tempted by MX occasionally because you see it everywhere, but it really is complete rubbish.

Jintor said:
The only paper worth reading is the SMH (don't know how it goes in other states)

I get tempted by MX occasionally because you see it everywhere, but it really is complete rubbish.

I wonder if I can get SMH delivered in QLD. Only thing is, I really like reading the higher education section of the Australian..

midonnay

I've read the Australian so long that my brain automatically filters out all the bullshit stories about climate sceptics, the NBN, insulation, school halls etc.

Dead Man

midonnay said:
I've read the Australian so long that my brain automatically filters out all the bullshit stories about climate sceptics, the NBN, insulation, school halls etc.
So you read the recruitment section?

midonnay said:

I'm trying... I might stay away until the qantas thing blows over. At the very least I'll avoid the opinion section. That place is a breeding ground for morons.

shanshan310 said:
I wonder if I can get SMH delivered in QLD. Only thing is, I really like reading the higher education section of the Australian..
Are there internet sites that would better serve your reading needs? I really only check up on the news on ABC24 or word of mouth stuff so I have no idea.

RandomVince said:
This statement implies western pop has any merit by comparison.
Rebecca Black/Jonas Brothers/Miley Crysis is a good example of how shit pop in the US has been for the last 20 years or so. Hard to pinpoint the moment it all turned to shit, I assume it was motivated by profit though of course.

Dead Man

reptilescorpio said:
Are there internet sites that would better serve your reading needs? I really only check up on the news on ABC24 or word of mouth stuff so I have no idea.

Rebecca Black/Jonas Brothers/Miley Crysis is a good example of how shit pop in the US has been for the last 20 years or so. Hard to pinpoint the moment it all turned to shit, I assume it was motivated by profit though of course.
I think you'll find the moment pop started was when it turned to shit. There is good pop, of course, but on the whole, it was conceived as a commercial venture rather than an artistic one, and has been ever thus. Blame the cynical bastards that appropriated black music in the 50's.

Yagharek

midonnay said:

So you stop at the text that says "The Australian. $2.00" or whatever it is these days.

I dont buy news ltd papers at all anymore. Never will. Rupert murdoch and his cockbite sycophants are intellectual terrorists.

Salazar

The addictive thing about kpop is the reciprocal relationship between the music and exceptionally well-produced variety tv, such that there is a wonderful tension between these people being superstars and being something like regular folks who you have seen do lots of regular, and sometimes embarrassing, things. Fucked if I know anything about Western pop stars beyond the album and the occasional obnoxious reality tv show.

That and the faintly old-school weekly music shows aspect of it. And the politeness and amiability of it all. And the fact that a stupendous amount of media related to it is being produced all the time.

I don't believe it can expand to its full potential overseas unless people get that double-whammy of the killer pop music and the terrific variety tv. Which they won't, by and large.

RandomVince said:
So you stop at the text that says "The Australian. $2.00" or whatever it is these days.

I dont buy news ltd papers at all anymore. Never will. Rupert murdoch and his cockbite sycophants are intellectual terrorists.

Reading that newspaper is like participating in 2 minutes of hate.

Deeku

Salazar said:
The addictive thing about kpop is the reciprocal relationship between the music and exceptionally well-produced variety tv, such that there is a wonderful tension between these people being superstars and being something like regular folks who you have seen do lots of regular, and sometimes embarrassing, things. Fucked if I know anything about Western pop stars beyond the album and the occasional obnoxious reality tv show.

That and the faintly old-school weekly music shows aspect of it. And the politeness and amiability of it all. And the fact that a stupendous amount of media related to it is being produced all the time.

I don't believe it can expand to its full potential overseas unless people get that double-whammy of the killer pop music and the terrific variety tv. Which they won't, by and large.
It's interesting how you like that aspect of kpop. Coming from an asian background, I kinda grew up with the whole weekly music shows, and stars appearing in variety shows thing, so I'm sort of annoyed by that aspect of asian pop music.

Anyhoo, I just spent 5 hours at uni finishing an assignment, except it's still not finished. Oh well, Uncharted time!

I also agree that the new coldplay is kinda crap, but I'm slowly warming up to it.

Jintor

lol on the final week of semester I finally understand what the hell we've been nattering on about for the past seven weeks

man doing this review stuff is awesome, kind of wish I had been doing it consistantly all semester

just like I swore I would do at the beginning of semester

(laughs)

Naughty Dog were totally jacking it to Raiders of the Lost Ark while making Uncharted 3, without a doubt. So good.

UC1= DAT JUNGLE
UC2= DAT SNOW
UC3= DAT SAND

Considering it is a HUGE variety of set piece fights the attention to detail and just jaw dropping quality of the graphics is insanely impressive. Some sections you go past really fast but look like they had hundreds of hours put into them. Don't want the adventure to end and have to wait another 2 years for another Naughty Dog gem. :(

Unless they spend the next 12 months on CTR HD (with 8 player online). Then I would be VERY happy.

Z2q8O.jpg

I have ETHICS.

Just not "I'm quitting" ethics.

I know this is said in the post but still... either take your "being told what to say" money and shut up or quit. Better still, take a stand with your editor.

Yagharek

Megadrive said:

This is probably true. IGN are hacks.

Planet_JASE said:
I have ETHICS.

Just not "I'm quitting" ethics.

I know this is said in the post but still... either take your "being told what to say" money and shut up or quit. Better still, take a stand with your editor.

I dunno. It's not ethics on the same scale as investment advice or whether to switch off life support and harvest organs for donation. If true, its probably someone who needs the work and isnt in a position to whistleblow.

In case you havent heard, the US job market isnt exactly soaring these days.

Axiom

I cannot fathom how Saints Row 3 would figure into this. It's not exactly a Postal or DNF where you can see an axe to grind for some.

Yagharek

Axiom said:
I cannot fathom how Saints Row 3 would figure into this. It's not exactly a Postal or DNF where you can see an axe to grind for some.

It's probably scaling it with respect to GTA4. Got to keep a perfect 10 for oscar calibre writing in perspective.

Shaneus

RandomVince said:
This is probably true. IGN are hacks.
If you want hilaire, look at the IGN review for Sequential. They gave graphics a 5.0, reason being? No cutscenes. It's a five dollar indie title FFS.

Takeshi also had some NES games you should track down!

Axiom said:
Everything we are seeing out of SR3 looks great and I see no reason why a shitty site like IGN would give it anything less than an 8, especially without any big competitor games in the genre.

I mean, they gave SR2 8/10 and the original 8.5/10.
I mean, they gave RF Armageddon 7/10 and everyone hated it! How the fuck could they get away with giving SR3 a lower score than the Red Faction game that killed the IP?

It sounds to me like something everyone wants to believe. Even it was a troll, who'd think otherwise?

I have spent large amounts of time today playing either BF3 or UC3.

I think having recently replayed UC2 actually hurt UC3 for me. UC3 is good but just hasn't drawn me in the same as 2. I'm in the
syrian ruins
so maybe it gets better later on. It's not bad or anything, it just hasn't clicked for me. Too much melee, not enough Elena.

BF3 has a Team Deathmatch mode, which is usually the mode I prefer playing but I so much prefer Rush over TDM or Conquest in BF games.

Tough to pick a favourite of Rush and Conquest. When I get bored of one I just play the other. And TDM is a nice change of pace when I get bored of both!

Yagharek

Shaneus said:
If you want hilaire, look at the IGN review for Sequential. They gave it a 5.0, reason being? No cutscenes. It's a five dollar indie title FFS.

IGN were last relevant in ~1999 when they had a decent Sega section. It was also the last time I ever deliberately checked the site and I intend to leave it that way.

ClivePwned said:
I think having recently replayed UC2 actually hurt UC3 for me. UC3 is good but just hasn't drawn me in the same as 2. I'm in the
syrian ruins
so maybe it gets better later on. It's not bad or anything, it just hasn't clicked for me. Too much melee, not enough Elena.
Oh man. It gets much, much better. Played about an extra 4 hours since then and have had a lot more fun. The puzzle rooms look nice but once you get trekking, like in UC2, it is a lot more fun.

RandomVince said:
I dunno. It's not ethics on the same scale as investment advice or whether to switch off life support and harvest organs for donation. If true, its probably someone who needs the work and isnt in a position to whistleblow.

In case you havent heard, the US job market isnt exactly soaring these days.
You write your review, you give it the score you feel it deserves. If the editor wishes to change your score and review, then fine, that's their prerogative. You can then put your original review online and show the discrepancies.

Making an anonymous post on a site that contains no real evidence does nothing, proves nothing. If the reviews come out and the score aren't 6 and 10 for SR3 and MW3, respectively, then people will just say it's because of the anonymous poster. If they end up being those scores people will bitch for 10 minutes and then move on. If only one matches the score posited then the bitching will last for 5mins.

I get it, the jobs market is tough and this can put people in a tough financial position. However, this shouldn't be part of the the discussion as to what the correct response should be. Otherwise, all ethical situations should be boiled down to "well, in my defence, I did need the money thiiiiiiiiiis much."

anyway, post some sort of proof or shut the fuck up. At the moment it just comes off a IGN bashing. Don't get me wrong, I have no love or hate for that site, it would just be nice to have proof of the suggested misdoings.

Jintor

Hmmm... what do you think guys, pick up Tropico 4 now for $26 or wait for the holiday sales and take my chances? I won't have time to play shit until the 15th and even then it'll be Dark Souls/Skyward Sword/Skyrim/Saint's Row 3/Battlefield 3 (maybe)/Arkham City (again) all up in this joint.

Yagharek

Planet_JASE said:
You write your review, you give it the score you feel it deserves. If the editor wishes to change your score and review, then fine, that's their prerogative. You can then put your original review online and show the discrepancies.

Making an anonymous post on a site that contains no real evidence does nothing, proves nothing. If the reviews come out and the score aren't 6 and 10 for SR3 and MW3, respectively, then people will just say it's because of the anonymous poster. If they end up being those scores people will bitch for 10 minutes and then move on. If only one matches the score posited then the bitching will last for 5mins.

I get it, the jobs market is tough and this can put people in a tough financial position. However, this shouldn't be part of the the discussion as to what the correct response should be. Otherwise, all ethical situations should be boiled down to "well, in my defence, I did need the money thiiiiiiiiiis much."

anyway, post some sort of proof or shut the fuck up. At the moment it just comes off a IGN bashing. Don't get me wrong, I have no love or hate for that site, it would just be nice to have proof of the suggested misdoings.

It's at the point though where no-one trusts IGN. That's why its plausible. It's the same as seeing another policeman caught drunk driving, a priest found out abusing kids, a family values preaching politician caught in a gay sex scandal or a footballer charged with assault. No-one doubts it or is surprised because it's the reputation theyve earnt.

The reputation itself is more damning than these allegations.

And as far as "IGN bashing" goes- they deserve it for the relentless output of shit they spew. Murdoch would be proud of them.

Maybe its how I'm reading your post, but it also seems to me you have accidentally mounted a higher horse than intended.

The IGN reviews are boring as hell. Something about the voice just makes me not want to pick up the game.. Gametrailers is where its at.

Salazar said:
Outrage, Beat Takeshi.

Holy shit at the
yakuza dentistry on Murase. Good thing my dentist is a close friend.

oh man, that is such a great movie. GOMA did a Beat Takeshi marathon last year, which is how I got into him.

Gazunta said:
Just walked out of Comics Etc. Apparently Supanova is a ghost town. I'm really not surprised.

oh really? I was gonna head in tomorrow. Is it worth it?

Top Bottom