• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I just realized I can't play uncharted since I don't have an optical cable for audio. There's always next weekend!

Optical cable found. I knew my old man picked one up ages ago that wasn't needed. I still might wait until the aiming patch though. Make sure she's all patched up and ready to go.

Darklord

Banned
A woman said this yesterday at work "What's the difference between salmon and tuna anyway? They're both from the same fish".

I almost had a lethal dose of stupidity right then and there.

Echoplx

IGN prime members got a free copy of BF3 in a promo but IGN can't make websites properly so the code URL was open to people with just standard IGN accounts.

Shaneus

Ahaha, nice.

So, I was on the fence about Saints 3, until I read this line in this thread:
Other highlights include AMD Eyefinity support, DX9, DX10, and DX11 support, Crossfire enabled, SLI enabled, advanced depth of field, reflections, and ambient occlusion quality, and, of course, God Rays.

Saints Row: The Third on PC is not a port, and it's our goal here at Volition to prove that to our PC fans. We hope you enjoy the game when it releases to the public on November 15th!
GMG currently have a 15% off preorder code for it, bringing it down to $33.something... coupled with the fiver I have from a referral, makes it less than $30. Bort.

Yagharek

Jintor said:
Jesus fucking christ, I know I generally support digital download services and the like but this is fucking unbelievable. I try and login to play maybe one challenge mode map of Arkham Asylum because I was just reminded that Arkham City was delayed for another twenty years or whatever on the PC build and it will still fucking have GFWL layered on top. So load up, try and login. NOPE SORRY YOU CAN'T, NO REASON GIVEN. Try this a few times, load up a new browser, try and log in off the website. Account has been suspended for spam (wtf, I never use the account for anything ever, hackers? I dunno) but, for this limited only, you can reset your password if you give them your phone number. Okay, fine, facebook already has that, take it. Minute later, get verification code, reset password, everything's hunky-doory. Except when I start up Batman again on the GFWL page I can't input text into the password field. EVERYTHING WORKS EXCEPT THE FUCKING PASSWORD FIELD.

GRARLAKSLDjkasldjasdnasd0ihq2e42lmasndpasnjdpasnfasb 9UJJNFm fuck you Games for Fucking Windows Fucking Live.

/edit checking "save your username and password" actively prevents you from typing in the password box, but not from the username box? WHAT FUCKING IDIOT DESIGNED THIS FUCKING UI.

//edit OH FUCKING YAY, A LIVE UPDATE. Oh my god. I want to kill someone.

This is why the phrase "I told you so" was invented. DD is a joke at this stage. People can defend or love the concept, but, like communism, capitalism and democracy - it doesnt work in practice.

Hey hey hey now. Lets leave Communism out of this. We all know that, in theory, it would work. This is GFWL. Everyone knows it will NEVER work because Microsoft doesnt give two shits about PC gamers.

Fredescu

RandomVince said:
This is why the phrase "I told you so" was invented. DD is a joke at this stage.
The shitty GFWL client has nothing to do with "DD". What happened to him was the equivalent of getting his XBL or PSN account hacked and he would have had the same problem whether it was purchased at retail or DD.

Shaneus said:
Ahaha, nice.

So, I was on the fence about Saints 3, until I read this line in this thread:

GMG currently have a 15% off preorder code for it, bringing it down to $33.something... coupled with the fiver I have from a referral, makes it less than $30. Bort.

I was convinced that a PC purchase for SR3 was out of the question after the abomination that was the SR2 port. I tried to play SR2 PC last weekend and could only last about 5 mins, it is still completely unplayable on my PC.

After reading that about SR3 PC, I'm sold. Just grabbed my copy from GMG :)

Salazar said:
Pink Chun Li was pretty.

Fredescu said:
I like this horse.
There's hardly anyone up here so there's plenty of room. If you're interested, that is?

codswallop said:
And let's not even talk about American tour groups. Try paying in the local currency, why don't you?
Hmmmmm... A few years ago I spent a week or so in Canada, all by myself because that how I roll. I like the peace, quiet, and the solitude of my own mind and company. Plus, I like nature and I like see animals in nature.

All of these things were ruined by the presence of American Tour Groups. They would usually rush through places, having decided that they would make a competition of 'who could have the loudest banal conversation about anything other than the beautiful wilderness that they were surrounded by.'

The most comical comment I heard was one man, whose voice was only drowned out by his garish Hawaiian shirt and bright pant combination was heard to bellow "this place is meant to be famous for its wildlife but we haven't seen anything." I remember I said something at them, I can't quite remember what but I don't think they heard or cared.

Previously I had been standing still watching a wild deer and a fawn feeding in an opening in the trees, enjoying the peace and quiet. There had been birds, too. All gone at that point. they didn't come back, either.

Why even come to a place like that and then talk about absolute shit. Don't worry about that glacial lake, talk about the trouble you had with that workman last month. Disregard the magnificent mountain range right in front of you, tell the person next to you about that frustrating conversation you had with your neighbour last week.

I don't get it and never will. Luckily I learned to go to all of the places I wanted to enjoy before 9am or after 5pm.

roosters93 said:
lol I got to Dublin from Wales and paid for the bus in pounds. Had no other money and somehow it slipped my mind that it's not in the UK too.
I'm pretty sure anywhere in Europe will happily take pounds instead of Euros.

Especially Greece.

RandomVince said:
This is why the phrase "I told you so" was invented. DD is a joke at this stage. People can defend or love the concept, but, like communism, capitalism and democracy - it doesnt work in practice.
Bloody hell, Vince. I've had the same level of frustration from my PS3 (not the same type, same level), does that mean that physical media is a joke and should be lumped into the same boat?

RandomVince said:
Its a digital delivery service, how isn't it related?
Because it's more account related than it is DD related. The issue Jintor had was because his account had be suspended. The fact that it's tied to a DD service is just happenstance.

To further explain, it's like having your Gmail account suspended and then saying "electronic mail is shit you never own your own mail this is why physical mail is the best i told you this would happen etc etc"

Account Problems =/= The Service it's tied to.

Shaneus

Frank West is in UMvC3? When the fuck did this happen?!?
Time to buy another fighter that I'll never play, I guess.

BanShunsaku said:
I was convinced that a PC purchase for SR3 was out of the question after the abomination that was the SR2 port. I tried to play SR2 PC last weekend and could only last about 5 mins, it is still completely unplayable on my PC.

After reading that about SR3 PC, I'm sold. Just grabbed my copy from GMG :)
I know, right? This is all they need to say to sell it to PC gamers. Also, with GMG you get the preorder stuff you'd normally only get here if you preorder a boxed copy at JB or EB. Pretty sweet.

Yagharek

Account problems == the service its attached to when its GFWL based on horror stories at every single forum I frequent.
I don't see why that's so controversial. Isn't that bullshit the reason why GOG gets such a good rep? Account problems are a fundamental level of fuckup. Blame the whole service for it AFAIC.

Fredescu

RandomVince said:
Its a digital delivery service, how isn't it related?
I guarantee you Jintor did not use it to digitally deliver his game. It's primarily an annoying in game overlay, which incidentally can't digitally deliver anything. It can't even patch a game without kicking you out of the game an opening a browser. There is also a GFWL marketplace which uses a completely separate client. No one uses this except to download their $0.30 copy of AoEIII.

Shaneus said:
I know, right? This is all they need to say to sell it to PC gamers. Also, with GMG you get the preorder stuff you'd normally only get here if you preorder a boxed copy at JB or EB. Pretty sweet.

I just noticed the release date on GMG is the Euro one (obviously) which is the 18th of November, 3 days after the Australian one. Not that it really matters as I'll be deep in Skyrim at the time, do GMG send out keys before release date normally? I don't think I've preordered anything with them before...

Echoplx

They send out the keys when the game is released in your region, they did so for LotR and Sonic. Hopefully if there is a pre-load we get keys in time for that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Apparently, I have to force on DST corrections in my GAF account options for the forum to display the correct local time. :/

RandomVince said:
Account problems == the service its attached to when its GFWL based on horror stories at every single forum I frequent.
I don't see why that's so controversial. Isn't that bullshit the reason why GOG gets such a good rep? Account problems are a fundamental level of fuckup. Blame the whole service for it AFAIC.

The Pontiac Aztek is an awful car. All cars are shit.

Battlefield Earth is an awful film. All films are shit.

Big Brother is an awful Television series. All Television is shit.

3chopl0x said:
They send out the keys when the game is released in your region, they did so for LotR and Sonic. Hopefully if there is a pre-load we get keys in time for that.

Sweet, lets hope so, looks like it could be a big pre-load.

Omikron

RandomVince said:
Well that wasn't clear in his post. Sounded like he had a digital copy to me. Still, gfwl is a piece of poo.
GFWL is a piece of shit. But me thinks you need to have your facts in a row before you go off on one of your rants :p

Shaneus

BanShunsaku said:
Sweet, lets hope so, looks like it could be a big pre-load.
Yeah, I think I read in the GMG thread about someone in another region where it showed a different date to the local release date and a GMG answered by saying it should unlock by the local date, not the one on the site.

In an attempt to give some of my backlog a crack, I've fired up Blood Stone. Not an amazing game by any means but it definitely feels like one of the more polished licensed games I've had the pleasure to play. Looks surprisingly good considering its age, too. Little too much hand-holding cutscene-wise (quite a few non-interactive bits that could've been converted to real action or at least QTE) but otherwise, what it sets out to do it does well... it feels like a Bond film.

Yagharek

Omi said:
GFWL is a piece of shit. But me thinks you need to have your facts in a row before you go off on one of your rants :p

I'll come prepared with regional pricing and IP check fact sheets next time.

Omikron

RandomVince said:
I'll come prepared with regional pricing and IP check fact sheets next time.
The bizarre thing is vince. Those things exist in the physical media world too. Regional locked media and in store pricing per country/region.

Yagharek

Omi said:
The bizarre thing is vince. Those things exist in the physical media world too. Regional locked media and in store pricing per country/region.

I know that, but digital content doesn't have freight and import duties attached. It should be markedly cheaper.

But you should know by now I don't trust digital services. They're all bad in their own special way. Except gog.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So GMG now has LA Noire listed as well.

If you use the current 15% discount code that brings the game down to $36. Along with SR3 for $34.

Fuck

Shaneus

Made it past the intro sequences of BS, as expected the driving is fucking spot on and looks REALLY good. Shame Bizarre's engine won't be put to further use, you can see their expertise in implementing gorgeous motion blur that always feels perfect.

Credits sequence is (as expected) spot-on and feels like it could've come straight from a Bond movie, with an exclusive song by Joss Stone. Bruce Feirstein wrote the story, but I have no idea whether he's well regarded as a Bond writer and not far enough in the story to judge, but I guess if he wrote a few movies it should be okay.

Salazar

commanderdeek said:
This is something I can agree with!

tumblr_lu715l0xvq1qawea734.gif

So ME3 has Difficulty levels for both combat AND conversations. If you choose Action Mode the game will automatically choose conversation for you. Hopefully that doesn't mean that there is one clear path, which would make it silly not to go automatic.
Best thing though is that viewable helmets are back in! Pre-order confirmed!

Shaneus said:
In an attempt to give some of my backlog a crack, I've fired up Blood Stone. Not an amazing game by any means but it definitely feels like one of the more polished licensed games I've had the pleasure to play. Looks surprisingly good considering its age, too. Little too much hand-holding cutscene-wise (quite a few non-interactive bits that could've been converted to real action or at least QTE) but otherwise, what it sets out to do it does well... it feels like a Bond film.
Yeah I really liked it. It is a solid 3/5 with nothing worth writing home about but gets the job done admirably. Considering how little time they had to put it together I think the ex-Bizarre staff should be happy with what they got done.

Can anyone recommend a decent 'gaming' headset or decent 'non-gaming' headphones and a separate microphone?

AusGAF, the opinions you can trust.

Edit: price range, possibly $120 max.

evlcookie said:
So GMG now has LA Noire listed as well.

If you use the current 15% discount code that brings the game down to $36. Along with SR3 for $34.

Fuck
Pfft. If you buy LA on Steam it is only $81! Plus you get 75% off any Rockstar game! Even though they are old as shit and cheap anyway!

Not going to double dip on LA Noire for PC. Maybe if some awesome mods pop up I might grab it in a super Steam sale for under $20.

Jintor

RandomVince said:

No, GFWL does not work in practice. My problem with Steam games that don't have multilayered DRM at this point in time is pretty much non-existant.

fappenmeister said:
Can anyone recommend a decent 'gaming' headset or decent 'non-gaming' headphones and a separate microphone?

AusGAF, the opinions you can trust.
on PC? G930 is wireless, 7.1 and awesome. Paid $110 on LogitechShop but they are out of stock at the moment.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
reptilescorpio said:
So ME3 has Difficulty levels for both combat AND conversations. If you choose Action Mode the game will automatically choose conversation for you. Hopefully that doesn't mean that there is one clear path, which would make it silly not to go automatic.
Best thing though is that viewable helmets are back in! Pre-order confirmed!

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'one clear path', but the automated conversation approach could have been applied to both previous Mass Effect games without any issue. Neither game offers any really significant divergence in plot and game progression from different dialogue choices.

Danoss

fappenmeister said:
I'd probably go for the Beyerdynamic MMX2 (obviously not from them because they're out of stock).

Also, do you wear glasses? If so, those will become uncomfortable as they're supraaural (they sit on your ears, not around them).

Jintor

EatChildren said:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'one clear path', but the automated conversation approach could have been applied to both previous Mass Effect games without any issue. Neither game offers any really significant divergence in plot and game progression from different dialogue choices.

What has the greatest game divergence based on individual choices? My thinking is Witcher 2.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Jintor said:
What has the greatest game divergence based on individual choices? My thinking is Witcher 2.

Yeah, probably The Witcher 2, given that Act II is literally completely different based on your final choice at the end of Act I. Old school WRPGs like Fallout and Arcanum would also be extremely difficult to streamline dialogue due to the abundance of choices the player can make.

Mass Effect wouldn't be hard though. Obviously the set path would play a certain way, so you'd miss out on some resolutions and reactions, but there's nothing in either game that is hugely dependant or split based on a specific player choice.

Salazar

Jintor said:

:(

Game made my critical choice for me first time round. I was thinking about it, and it selected the path to which my cursor was closest.

EatChildren said:
Meaning more that the automatic path lets you gain all the conversation bonus things (such as money or weapons) that you could miss if you pick the wrong reply in a conversation. In that instance what is the point of giving us the option if they are fake options (like in the previous games) with no benefit over taking the automated approach.

Jintor

I'm still waiting for my game that changes the story based on a whole heap of differing factors rather than a single conversation choice.

Alignment changes don't count!

Salazar said:
:(

Game made my critical choice for me first time round. I was thinking about it, and it selected the path to which my cursor was closest.

Poor salazar

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Yeah I really liked it. It is a solid 3/5 with nothing worth writing home about but gets the job done admirably. Considering how little time they had to put it together I think the ex-Bizarre staff should be happy with what they got done.
Yep. It's good to play a game that doesn't try to do anything too difficult or unusual... and yeah, there's a certain charm to it. Kinda glad it was done by a UK studio, too. Just kinda feels right, I guess (along with the typical Bizarre/Psygnosis-style slick-arse menus). Shame it was sent into marketing hell beside GoldenEye along with Blur*/Split Second.

Fuck, I really need to give The Club a second chance.

*How the fuck can a game like this NOT do well? Fucking Activision. Check out the guy's Vimeo page though, has some interesting little blurbs on each of the videos he edited. Interesting to note the PGR4 intro was done all using the in-game replay mode, no post-processing. No driving game's replay mode has come close, imo.

reptilescorpio said:
Pfft. If you buy LA on Steam it is only $81! Plus you get 75% off any Rockstar game! Even though they are old as shit and cheap anyway!
I'm not quite sure who's voice I read that in, but it damn near made me piss myself laughing.
reptilescorpio said:
Meaning more that the automatic path lets you gain all the conversation bonus things (such as money or weapons) that you could miss if you pick the wrong reply in a conversation. In that instance what is the point of giving us the option if they are fake options (like in the previous games) with no benefit over taking the automated approach.
Alpha Protocol, motherfuckers.

PS. :(

Shaneus said:
Fuck, I really need to give The Club a second chance.

Alpha Protocol, motherfuckers.
The Club had a promising idea that never should have been made into a full game. Just didn't work at the time. Could be re-booted as a XBLA/PSN/Steam $10 game if they could put in some kind of hook to make people keep trying to beat each others scores, leaderboards just weren't enough. Maybe taking something like PayDay and putting in another mode where the difficulty is taken down a notch and scoring systems put in place like in The Club. Teams or individuals could compete against each other.

Also Alpha Protocol was indeed fantastic. Shame that it DID still come down to 3 or 4 decisions to change all the endings though. Best conversation system I have seen this generation anyway.

Jintor

Oh yeah, Alpha Protocol's changes were beautiful. They felt more organic than most other games I've played, too. Pity about the gameplay.

Jintor said:
Oh yeah, Alpha Protocol's changes were beautiful. They felt more organic than most other games I've played, too. Pity about the gameplay.
Takes about 10 hours to get used to it. Best to abuse the Pistol Chain Shot for the first run and then put your points into Rifle/Shotgun on the second playthrough. Everything becomes much more enjoyable once you put 5 or so points into it. My second run with the Shotgun/Rifle combo was a hell of a lot of fun. Only stopped because of a damn bug when I was trying to get an achievement for going undetected in 3 levels and it didn't pop.

Also set itself up perfectly for an episodic approach the way that you had separate hubs to run missions from. $10 for a new hub of missions would be a fantastic approach to DLC.

Top Bottom