• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

midonnay

The Ten Most Dangerous Spiders in the World

http://www.avivadirectory.com/trivia/42-the-ten-most-dangerous-spiders-in-the-world/

10) Huntsman Spiders. These spiders are not dangerous, though they are known to be very aggressive, large, and their bites are painful. Some are territorial and, like a watch dog, will attack anything it sees in “its territory.” There are several species about the same strength as the Huntsman, most notably the False Black Widows, and Yellow Sac Spiders. Found most commonly in Australia, California, and Japan.

no 10...... number 10!!!

squish it before it sics you ._.

Shaneus

So. If anyone is looking for a romcom TV show that's kinda like HIMYM but not as saccharine and no laugh track and has a little bit of The League-style humour in it, check out Happy Endings. It's not amazing, but it's easy enough to watch with enough blokey funnies in it to stop it from being too girly.

Also, the episode I just watched featured Paul Scheer as "tiny kimono guy". Who's Paul Scheer?
the-league-23.jpg

Danoss

The huntsman is a dangerous spider... to insects. To humans, hardly. You'd have a hard time grabbing one to make it bite you on purpose.

Don't believe it look here: http://www.spiders.com.au/huntsman-spider.html

Like most lists, that one is silly. Where's the White-tail or the Bird-eating spider? An Aussie dunny-joke icon in the Red-back spider (same genus as the Black Widow, but still different and quite dangerous) is missing.

Anyway, it seems most people here have had enough spider talk. They're still cool though.

Fusebox

Banned
The white-tail turned out to be nasty only if you're one of the rare people who are allergic to its venom didn't it? And about the huntsman it still says "However, a large individual can give a painful bite". I'm not risking that.

Shaneus

Jintor said:
Wow, what the fuck? Apparently Origin is being declared Spyware in German and its EULA violates privacy laws, so the whole thing is blowing up. This is amazing.

/edit okay so it's not official and EA aren't admitting anything, but retailers are refunding copies and German gamers are downvoting the amazon.de page like crazy. Like woah.
Ahaha, that's awesome. If that's proven true, epic epicness abounds.

Also note: The game they're advertising on that website :lol

Danoss said:
Anyway, it seems most people here have had enough spider talk. They're still cool though.
Aren't Daddy long legs the ones with the most dangerous venom but because they don't have fangs it is all cool? Or was that just my grandmothers way of telling me to shut up about all the Daddy long legs around her house?

Also white tails fucking suck. My Dad got bitten on his hand and it looked horrible for weeks. If I see a spider I will probably crush it. If I am in a good mood I will be nice and take them outside as long as they don't look too dero.

Salazar

Shaneus said:
So. If anyone is looking for a romcom TV show that's kinda like HIMYM but not as saccharine and no laugh track and has a little bit of The League-style humour in it, check out Happy Endings. It's not amazing, but it's easy enough to watch with enough blokey funnies in it to stop it from being too girly.

Hmmm. Some of you guys like Entourage, don't you ?

Been thinking about giving it a shot.

Fusebox

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
Aren't Daddy long legs the ones with the most dangerous venom but because they don't have fangs it is all cool? Or was that just my grandmothers way of telling me to shut up about all the Daddy long legs around her house?

I think that's an old wives tail, I used to believe exactly the same thing.

reptilescorpio said:
Also white tails fucking suck. My Dad got bitten on his hand and it looked horrible for weeks. If I see a spider I will probably crush it. If I am in a good mood I will be nice and take them outside as long as they don't look too dero.

No way! Did it go all burns-victim looking?

I lasted about 7 minutes into that Happy Endings show. Maybe it gets better after the pilot. Did it get a full season? So many new shops got slaughtered really early.

Fusebox said:
No way! Did it go all burns-victim looking?
It did, we were lucky that we went straight to the hospital when he got bitten (in the bottom of this work boot as we were leaving after lunch) but it looked fucking insane. Certainly scarred me (and him I suppose) for life.

Yagharek

Daddy long legs are harmless. Redbacks and funnelwebs are the real nasties. Mouse spiders can bite hard too.

The problem with funnelwebs is that they wander, the males look like huntsmen to the untrained eye, and are the deadliest spider in the world.

Danoss

Fusebox said:
The white-tail turned out to be nasty only if you're one of the rare people who are allergic to its venom didn't it? And about the huntsman it still says "However, a large individual can give a painful bite". I'm not risking that.
They're only really nasty if this is the case, though it is still up for debate. There are extremely rare cases of a type of "necrotising arachnidism" (ulceration or skin death) associated with the bite, but they seem to be so rare that it hasn't been reproduced in scientific testing. It is widely believed this is false. Their bites are more common than Huntsman and many other such non-aggressive spiders.

Basically any spider can give a painful bite, though most have to be provoked. The old Daddy Long-legs spider gives a painful bite also, but how many people have you heard of being attacked by one of them or a Hunstman?

Red-backs are nasty buggers, but like many other animals you'll be fine in most cases unless you provoke them. Funnel webs are just nasty as hell and even I wouldn't go anywhere near one as much as I think spiders are cool. They are aggressive as hell. These two are the most common ones that I understand a fear of in this country.

As for most other spiders, if you leave them alone, they'll do the same with you.

reptilescorpio said:

Totally false. They can bite and there is pain (as mentioned above), but very mild (think of an ant bite). However, they won't bite unless you really want them to.

Fusebox

Banned
Danoss said:
They're only really nasty if this is the case, though it is still up for debate. There are extremely rare cases of a type of "necrotising arachnidism" (ulceration or skin death) associated with the bite, but they seem to be so rare that it hasn't been reproduced in scientific testing.

What about reptiles post? It sounds like his dad got a bit of the necro-skin symptom.

Danoss

Fusebox said:
What about reptiles post? It sounds like his dad got a bit of the necro-skin symptom.
As a lot of reports of white-tail spider bites can be attributed to incorrect identification (or just an assumption), a study was done. Over 100 confirmed White-tail spider bites were looked at and no ulceration or necrosis was found.

Here's an ABC Catalyst segment on just this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrJ7U64_sRI

Salazar said:

Yep. Awesome show, however depressing at the same time (re: Their lifestyle etc etc).

First few seasons were the best, though I thoroughly enjoyed it all.

Fredescu

Danoss said:
Funnel webs are just nasty as hell and even I wouldn't go anywhere near one as much as I think spiders are cool. They are aggressive as hell.
How often do you see them? I live in Sydney too and I'm not totally sure I've ever seen one. I see black house spiders, white tails, wolf spiders, and red backs all the time. There was one time when I think what I saw may have been a funnel web, but it was squished quicker than I could identify it.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
midonnay said:
bluetooth doesn't have the greatest range.....

but audio should be good (have bluetooth headphones)

It's ok.. the furthest I could be away from it in my apartment is about 8metres

Salazar said:
Jiyeon.

She is smoking in that MV.

Yes. she really is

Fusebox

Banned
Fredescu said:
How often do you see them? I live in Sydney too and I'm not totally sure I've ever seen one. I see black house spiders, white tails, wolf spiders, and red backs all the time. There was one time when I think what I saw may have been a funnel web, but it was squished quicker than I could identify it.
I don't think I've seen a funnel-web in Sydney, I've seen a few of them in Goulburn though.

Omi said:
More people need to play Frozen Synapse with Codswallop and I.
Jintor said:
Jintor is jintor but doesn't play much anymore, despite its brilliance
Rahk said:
Which server? I think my name is Rahk, so add me or whatever.
I'd say we should organise an AusGAF league or tournament, but 1) I'd get absolutely annihilated and 2) it's AusGAF, so no one will actually play.

UK1, feel free to challenge 'hijukal' to a game.

Danoss

Fredescu said:
I've never come across one either. All the ones you've listed, I've seen frequently also, they're very common.

Frawdder

codswallop said:
I'd say we should organise an AusGAF league or tournament, but 1) I'd get absolutely annihilated and 2) it's AusGAF, so no one will actually play.

UK1, feel free to challenge 'hijukal' to a game.
I'd be up for that. I'm in as Frawdder, completed the first two levels of the campaign today and enjoyed it. That's not to say I'm good at it, however.

Shaneus

Salazar said:

I liked early Entourage, love How to Make it In America and The League. Used to love HIMYM in the early years but it got too samey and predictable after the third or fourth season.

This is definitely worth checking out. Grab the first few eps (don't judge it on its pilot) and see what you think.

Salazar

Kerrby said:
Are you of Asian decent Salazar?

Nope. Welsh.

Which, if one accedes to the wisdom of Peter Sellers and the Goon Show, means that in a sense I hail from South America, Wales having been towed by a canoe armada from that continent around 500 BC.

Top Bottom