• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Echoplx

Box of Bunnies said:
All the cool kids like Japanese men, not Korean girls.

iwanaga.jpg

Sup holy

Jintor

Today's goal is to doublecheck with the uni to make sure I'm not giving up prematurely, and then to study another two week's worth of admin in a day :T

Omikron

Someone was telling me that Harvery Norman have been selling games below cost in order to get market share back. Presume from online? Wonder how long they will keep that up.

Omi said:
It is rather moist out this morning.

Sitting at my desk sans shoes, socks and hoodie.
So's ya mum.

Omi said:
Someone was telling me that Harvery Norman have been selling games below cost in order to get market share back. Presume from online? Wonder how long they will keep that up.
Hopefully until after ME3 releases. Would love to pick up the CE for a non-stupid price. I'm looking at YOU EB.

Choc

Banned
Omi said:

its called loss leading and very common in the UK

you honestly think ASDA is making a profit selling MW3 for 27 pounds?

Omikron

Choc said:
its called loss leading and very common in the UK

you honestly think ASDA is making a profit selling MW3 for 27 pounds?

FFS choc, I know what loss leading is. But that wasn't exactly the question was it.

Maybe local publishers and distributers need to lower their prices/costs?

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
FFS choc, I know what loss leading is. But that wasn't exactly the question was it.

Maybe local publishers and distributers need to lower their prices/costs?

lol

when superannuation, long service leave etc and many other workers rights in australia (which are good i agree) go the way of the dodo might be when we can match US pricing

minimum wage being as low as the US would help as well

these are major contributing factors to this. I agree it should not be as high as it is, but we won't ever get US parity because of our labour costs.

Choc

Banned
by the way there is room for retailers to move on margins themselves. The margins they get are some of the highest in the world.

For example, if my calculation is correct, eb is making $43 for every MW3 sold today at 119 dollars.

thats RIDICULOUS

I've been in negotiations recently on margins and retailers and let me tell you the margin level they demand is unsustainable. It's ridiculous

They want X% (and its significantly higher than any other region) before they will even take a product.

Retailers can suck it in my opinion. Stop bloating the fucking supply chain please. Allocate those workers to more worthwhile causes.

pilonv1 said:
Maybe retailers need to stop competing on price?
Not much else for them to compete on effectively these days since price is the most important attribute to most consumers these days. We are much more hands on and just want the product in our hands and we will handle the service ourselves.

hamchan said:
Don't know why anyone would buy MW3 from EB when it's $79 at JB.
Consumers are slightly less lazy and uniformed than in the past but the majority of multi-million copy selling games will come from people who only know about EB and don't bother to look around for a better deal.

hamchan

Choc said:
by the way there is room for retailers to move on margins themselves. The margins they get are some of the highest in the world.

For example, if my calculation is correct, eb is making $43 for every MW3 sold today at 119 dollars.

thats RIDICULOUS

I've been in negotiations recently on margins and retailers and let me tell you the margin level they demand is unsustainable. It's ridiculous

They want X% (and its significantly higher than any other region) before they will even take a product.

Don't know why anyone would buy MW3 from EB when it's $79 at JB.

Axiom

I really thought I could wait until there was a GOTY of Skyrim, instead I saw that GAME offered novels for a pre-order and down the rabbit hole I went.

Now to continue to resist Saints Row 3 so I can pay my bills this month.

Jintor

I really want to do some kind of article on those bloody game tie-in novels. It'd be interesting to see how successful they are. We have like 20 of them around the office.

pilonv1

reptilescorpio said:
Not much else for them to compete on effectively these days since price is the most important attribute to most consumers these days. We are much more hands on and just want the product in our hands and we will handle the service ourselves.

The only reason price is so important because service here is shit.

No one is prepared to do anything differently, everyone just copies everyone else, story of Australian retail.

Except Kmart, who are just insane.

Omikron

Choc said:

thats RIDICULOUS

So the individual cost price to the retailer is higher than the individual cost price to a consumer via online means. By some margin as well.

Super/labour market, blah blah etc.

Salazar

Choc said:
not sure how a cease and desist order can exist when they fucked up

its not like anyone stole the shit

It's not like the game is marketed, except to a subset of cretins, as "YOU MUST BUY IT TO SEE WHERE THE STORY GOES !!!!!"

pilonv1 said:
The only reason price is so important because service here is shit.

No one is prepared to do anything differently, everyone just copies everyone else, story of Australian retail.

Except Kmart, who are just insane.
To be honest I haven't though much on the idea of boosting Retailer worth, mainly just about stripping out the middlemen to make the developer->consumer process as efficient as possible, hopefully lowering prices allowing for people to buy more games which would then lead to more revenue for the developers.

Gazunta

OK let me put this the other way then.

How much extra would you be willing to pay for a retail copy of a game you could get via DD, just to have it in physical format?

Omikron

Gazunta said:

How much extra would you be willing to pay for a retail copy of a game you could get via DD, just to have it in physical format?

At this point, I am quite happy to be purely digital.

The only reason I buy a physical copy is because sometimes it is cheaper, for some bizarre unknown regional pricing of DD. ;)

(PC Gamer only pretty much)

Jintor

The only games I would buy retail at this point for reasons other than price are collector's editions where I simply can't move past the swag.

Basically bundle it with an artbook and I'm happy. And I mean a real fucking artbook. None of this truncated 48-page shit.

Omikron

Yah Jintor, the only physical copy I actually went out of my way to get in any recent years was the CivV collectors because of the book + figurines. Super cool. As was the box it came in.

Regular copies are such pieces of shit these days. Gone are the days with interesting instruction books etc, you are lucky to get a single sheet of paper now + the game disc.

jambo

Only retail PC game I've gotten in the last couple of years is RAGE and that was mainly down to me being impatient and wanting to play it straight away.

Plus it felt good buying an id game in a store.

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
So the individual cost price to the retailer is higher than the individual cost price to a consumer via online means. By some margin as well.

Super/labour market, blah blah etc.

yes

but you are purchasing from a US/European company if you are buying the keys etc and so therefore they are not under the same labour market pressures and costs that Australia is

the only country which has higher labour costs is New Zealand

Gazunta said:

$5-10 maximum just for a basic retail conversion copy.

I would pay an extra $20-50 for cool shit like clothe mape or vinyl soundtrack or a figure/bust. Also shirts!

Also a PROPER fuckoff massive 200+ page HARDCOVER tastefully designed art book. The recent pack in ones that have been 100~ pages and the size of a DVD have been very underwhelming. Kinda regret getting the Tactics Ogre and 3rd Birthday packs with the tiny artbooks.

Omikron

Choc said:
yes

but you are purchasing from a US/European company if you are buying the keys etc and so therefore they are not under the same labour market pressures and costs that Australia is

the only country which has higher labour costs is New Zealand

I am talking a physical copy choc, not key sites.

When it comes to PC games, I'll normally just buy what's cheapest.

Having said that, if there is a boxed copy for the same price as a digital copy I'll always go for the boxed copy, just cos I like putting games on my shelf.

In regards to Gaz's question, Skyrim is $90 on the Steam store, I'll probably grab a boxed copy for the same or a bit less. But if it was $80 on Steam and $90 for a boxed copy, I would probably pay the extra 10 for the box.

If there was more than $10 difference I would go for the cheaper copy, no matter what format it was.

Echoplx

@Ban Could always get a US Gaffer to gift it from US Steam for 60$ or D2D for 45$ (they need to be a prime member, just ask in the Steam gifting thread)

Top Bottom