• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Choc

Banned
choabac for many industries such as retail etc

and yes the tax revenue

i am disgusted as an Australian today. Some of the comments i am reading about all the selfish fuckheads who aren't thinking about their children or are some fucking whinging baby boomer who had it pretty easy most of their life, got houses for fuck all and now leave the younger generation with ridiculous house pricing and costs for everything, and tax increases to fund the fact they gorged during tehir generation and there is to many of them.....

If you have kids you should be for this tax. Even if climate change doesn't exist PUMPING LESS SHIT INTO THE ATMOSPHERE AND INTO THE AIR WE BREATHE CAN ONLY BE A GOOD THING.

Rezbit

But it's gonna TUK AR JERBS! And the CONOMY GUNNER GO BAD!

In all seriousness I try to avoid comments on the news websites. Opinions and arseholes, you know the drill.

but... we don't exist in a bubble. Even if we reduce our emissions, on a global scale it may have very little effect. If our exports become more expensive our trading rivals will pick up the slack.That's not to say I'm against doing anything. I'm all for becoming cleaner, I'm just not sure this is going to help much. Things like wind power are not viable alternatives to powering the nation at this point in time .
I'm open to being informed about why the carbon tax. I'm not totally against it, just very sceptical as to its effectiveness. I still live at home so my wallet doesn't have a say :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I left some steak out to thaw and thaw it did, but it also got a little bit warm in the sun. Can I still eat it or will I catch the plague?

Rezbit

EatChildren said:
I left some steak out to thaw and thaw it did, but it also got a little bit warm in the sun. Can I still eat it or will I catch the plague?

You'll be fine. Might be tasty as is *licks lips*

Choabac

shanshan310 said:
but... we don't exist in a bubble. Even if we reduce our emissions, on a global scale it may have very little effect. If our exports become more expensive our trading rivals will pick up the slack.That's not to say I'm against doing anything. I'm all for becoming cleaner, I'm just not sure this is going to help much. Things like wind power are not viable alternatives to powering the nation at this point in time .
I'm open to being informed about why the carbon tax. I'm not totally against it, just very sceptical as to its effectiveness. I still live at home so my wallet doesn't have a say :p

According to this report, there are 89 other countries that are committed to carbon mitigation in some form or another.

http://www.treasury.gov.au/carbonpricemodelling/content/report/07chapter3.asp

I think we're part of a block of about 20 or so nations that have similar carbon output. If we and these nations take action, this will lead to lower global emissions. Then this block of nations can then pressure larger CO2 emitters like Brazil, India, China and the USA to take more action.

David Mitchell has an excellent 5 minute video on sustainability and why a carbon tax makes sense. Check it out if you're interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syii9DKnb2M

Bernbaum

The ~15 year resource development plans I'm associated with remain unhindered and we're gearing up to expand our team. We're also looking pretty good to have a bunch of expansion projects to get signed off in the next 12 months too.

Growth for the fossil fuels industry will continue as normal, just with a slightly bigger slice going to the government.

Interpret this indelible fact in whatever fashion you wish.

Choabac said:
According to this report, there are 89 other countries that are committed to carbon mitigation in some form or another.

I think we're part of a block of about 20 or so nations that have similar carbon output. If we and these nations take action, this will lead to lower global emissions. Then this block of nations can then pressure larger CO2 emitters like Brazil, India, China and the USA to take more action.

Well, it is encouraging that so many other nations are committing. I'm not sure how we'll be able to pressure the superpowers though, especially the US and China.

Bernbaum said:
Y'all got real quiet real quick.
Carbon tax good. Reactionary corporate-sponsored howling about how it will kill us all bad.

I will go further and say:

Technological/industrial progress a double-edged sword. Public ignorance of scientific and technological issues and the media's complicity in misinforming the public bad.

Choabac

Here is a link to a pdf, which shows CO2 output by country, and relative change from 08-09.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Guardian/documents/2011/02/10/CarbonWeb.pdf

China is the largest emitter and its emission are growing, but they are doing a lot of investment in nuclear reactors such as thorium and into solar thermal power stations.

The growth of emissions from China and India makes sense as a lot of their people are moving out of poverty and into middle-income lifestyles.

More of their people now have access to power 24/7 and along with that comes other modern furnishings and luxuries, such as refrigerators, TV's, Internet and air conditioning in their offices. They now may also commute to work in cars or buses.

Basically they are having their industrial and technological revolution they we have already been through.

Yagharek

Just ordered PES 2012 on Wii. 5 pounds cheaper at gameplay.co.uk than ozgameshop.

Gameplay doesnt get enough import love around here.

legend166

Man, I can't remember the last time Sydney had this type of weather. Basically the whole week has been that good old '30 degrees and humid during the day followed by a massive storm around 5pm' pattern.

I remember the last couple of summers just being hot.

Gazunta

I've got some people on it.

the+untouchables_poster2.jpg

Jintor

Tribes is awesome

that ad was pretty well done, even though I kind of just implicitly am wary about the whole man war is fuck awesome WANKY GUITAR SOLO thing they have going

Choc

Banned
Bernbaum said:
The ~15 year resource development plans I'm associated with remain unhindered and we're gearing up to expand our team. We're also looking pretty good to have a bunch of expansion projects to get signed off in the next 12 months too.

Growth for the fossil fuels industry will continue as normal, just with a slightly bigger slice going to the government.

Interpret this indelible fact in whatever fashion you wish.

i interpret this as tony abbott being wrong and that you support the CT? or at least don't oppose it necessarily

and bern, i was to busy bloody getting soaked in the rain :p

and i want to call a truce. :|

Choc

Banned
if skyrim has broken here and we get it here first worldwide, we will get bethesda games late from now on, this i can almost be sure of

retailers here are fucked. How hard is it to do what the US does and put a lock on the product at the POS system, its not fucking hard they are just lazy

this obsession with posting dockets online and expecting the whole nation to break has to stop. Its bloody ridiculous. And the entire country getting the game because 1 stupid shop sold it early is a new development

this never used to happen. As i said in my K AU thingy, only local stores are allowed to break if someone does. Not the entire f'ing nation.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
RandomVince said:
Just ordered PES 2012 on Wii. 5 pounds cheaper at gameplay.co.uk than ozgameshop.

What's their shipping like?

Dead Man

Choc said:
if skyrim has broken here and we get it here first worldwide, we will get bethesda games late from now on, this i can almost be sure of

retailers here are fucked. How hard is it to do what the US does and put a lock on the product at the POS system, its not fucking hard they are just lazy

this obsession with posting dockets online and expecting the whole nation to break has to stop. Its bloody ridiculous. And the entire country getting the game because 1 stupid shop sold it early is a new development

this never used to happen. As i said in my K AU thingy, only local stores are allowed to break if someone does. Not the entire f'ing nation.
Meh. Steam activiation for Beth games means I don't care if they release late here on consoles, I only buy Beth games on PC. I also must admit I don't get your concern over broken dates. I have read your arguments, and it seems to boil down to 1. Making sure kid x can walk into the shop on release day and buy the game, and b. Making sure no store gets a competitive advantage by selling earlier than another store.

Neither of those would be helped by delaying a publishers games.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Holy crap. I just tried to capture a video of the milo opening for ausgaf but it was near impossible. Did they double the thickness of the foil? I could barely break that shit with my spoon.

Needless to say, It didn't go well and no footage will be released.

Shaneus

evlcookie said:
Holy crap. I just tried to capture a video of the milo opening for ausgaf but it was near impossible. Did they double the thickness of the foil? I could barely break that shit with my spoon.

Foiled again, eh?

legend166

evlcookie said:

Did you stab it with the pointy end?

Danoss

I'm up for a new tin of Milo this week, I might see if I can give it a go.

I use the eating end of the spoon as the other end of the spoons I have are quite blunt.

Kele may be out of the Bloc Party but man, the new EP is fantastic. Bloc Party haven't been any good since Silent Alarm anyway.

New Like A Version album out!!! So good.

3chopl0x said:
Graphic images on smoke packs is stupid and pointless. Alcohol can kill you, why aren't there any images of fucked up livers on bottles?

Not like it actually deters people anyway.
Smoking has active ingredients to get you addicted. Plus the pictures on the packs are there to deter it from being "cool". Demonise the habit and make it less likely for kids to take up.

Choc said:
anyone knows thats impossible? how do you maintain higher public spending without a tax increase and less taxes
Labour have been bleating about the budget blackhole for a long time now and no-one pays attention. Too much fun getting riled up about immigrants and such.

BanShunsaku said:
It's probably not a popular opinion, but I think plain packaging etc is bullshit.

Smoking kills, everyone fucking knows it, either make it illegal or don't.
Need to slowly cut the market by increasing taxs and making it maligned so the labour market can be redistributed slowly rather than forcing thousands out of their job overnight. I fucking hate smoking and will be glad to see it gone but I would hate to destroy our economy and regular working family's lives. Not to mention all the addicts need to be supported. My idea is to make is a licensed substance, everyone who wants one can have one now. After issuing for 6 months smoking is effectively illegal to anyone without the card. Put it on the same legal level as Marijuana.

Choc said:
i am disgusted as an Australian today. Some of the comments i am reading about all the selfish fuckheads who aren't thinking about their children or are some fucking whinging baby boomer who had it pretty easy most of their life, got houses for fuck all and now leave the younger generation with ridiculous house pricing and costs for everything, and tax increases to fund the fact they gorged during tehir generation and there is to many of them.....

If you have kids you should be for this tax. Even if climate change doesn't exist PUMPING LESS SHIT INTO THE ATMOSPHERE AND INTO THE AIR WE BREATHE CAN ONLY BE A GOOD THING.
Today has been a high point for whitewhine. Even my mate who has been bludging on Centrelink while at uni for the past 7 years while working cash in hand jobs and spending it all on booze, drugs and holidays in Queensland every quarter had a bitch about it on Facebook.

EatChildren said:
Cook it on a medium heat for 7 minutes and all the bacteria (well, the ones that will make you sick at least) will die.

Choabac said:
Chicken dinner. We can't just sit back and say, "Oh, we will do it once everyone else is". That isn't the way the world works. If everyone does that then nothing will ever be fucking done. We aren't martyring ourselves to the cause, the country isn't going to fall into disarray.

Bernbaum said:
Chicken dinner. Also interpret the fact that some nice rock fondler got a juicy raise not to long ago.

fappenmeister said:
Oh dear. JB, you've done it again.
lol Someone probably showed them the KMart catalogue with Skyrim on sale now. Never change register monkeys!

Salazar said:
Trying to edge out the last 1,600 words of a 5,000 word article.
Take a massive quote out of a Journal and plonk it right in the middle of the article. By the time the tutor gets to the end of the article they will have forgotten to be pissy about the fact it was too big.

RandomVince said:
Had a few bad experinces with them a few years back. A few lost parcels and twice a game was out of stock when they even emailed me to say my order had been shipped.

Choc said:
Joe Frazier died!
40534_384x288_generated__h2mFy-q1-UmDXWJGe1ZFsw.jpg

Barney you've been riding my back all night.

So good. He was right about finding another piece of furniture to love too.

Choc said:
Breaking street dates is pretty much the only way to get me as a day one local retail customer. Can't compete on price so they try and get the impulse buy out of people who weren't expecting to be able to buy it so soon.

Ydahs said:
Skyward Sword demo leaked.

I feel very conflicted at the moment...
I give it an 8.8 / 10

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gazunta said:
eat it raw like a real man.
Rezbit said:
You'll be fine. Might be tasty as is *licks lips*
reptilescorpio said:
Cook it on a medium heat for 7 minutes and all the bacteria (well, the ones that will make you sick at least) will die.

Thanks guys.

Top Bottom