• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

markot said:
Who does Gazunta work for?!

austin-powers.jpg

Choc

Banned
gaaaaaaaaaaaz

User #207218 • 557 posts
CharcoaI
Whirlpool Enthusiast
:( :| :) :D
Quick repost -
Just rang the 'South Yarra' Big W (Melbourne) and they confirmed that Skyrim is available to be picked up today

Danoss

codswallop said:
Oh yeah, certainly, but they're doing it primarily because that's what people use and so they make it sound good on the equipment that most consumers use. How many people with iPods actually claim the headphones are good? They're bloody everywhere.
That's true. It's rather unfortunate that they don't know what they're missing out on. They shouldn't cripple the medium just because that's what a lot of people use, especially when those people claim that they're great, haven't heard it on anything better.

codswallop said:
But if you squint, the second picture actually looks better because you can't see the compression artifacts. Likewise, if you listen to music on poor equipment or at low levels, you're unlikely to hear the difference between say a 44khz FLAC and 320kbps mp3. I have a 192khz 24-bit rip of a vinyl album, and a 44khz 16-bit rip of the same vinyl, and I can't tell the different on my equipment.
The problem is, proper audio equipment can see those artifacts, whether you like it or not. Such equipment doesn't have the option to "squint" so it can ignore all the compression artifacts. If movie studios all of a sudden said that HD on Blu-ray was a waste of time and they would now be selling all movies via download and it will be in 420x240 resolution, I'm sure HDTV owners would be appalled by this and rightly so. No one wants to squint at their screen so the image doesn't look horrendously bad. This is no different.

People are paying for this, and those used to the quality offered by CDs won't want to pay the same price for a lesser quality.

Technology should be progressing, not regressing. Yes, size compression is amazing when used for the right purposes, this is not one of them.

codswallop said:
Sideline: Are you shooting in RAW or JPG? You can see banding in the first photo but I assume that happened when you prepared it for the web.
Yes, I am shooting RAW, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Jintor

I wonder if a misinformation counter street-break campaign would be more helpful or harmful.

Probably harmful, considering that one confirmation can trigger real street breaks. Forget I said anything.

MrSerrels

Choc said:
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Released Early in Australia

November 10th, 2011 at 8:41 am -
Reports are coming in that one of this year’s most anticipated games, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has been released ahead of it’s November 11 release date in Australia.
Several Target stores around Sydney and Melbourne have confirmed to us that they are selling the game today, with many EB Games stores saying they will be selling the title from 3PM AEDST. The street date breakage is following a trend first widely seen with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D on Nintendo 3DS and most recently Battlefield 3 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.

GET ON DAT SHIT GAZ

I like Atomic, but the source for that story is a girl on twitter. Honestly.

With that being said, I actually called Big W in South Yarra and they confirmed they're selling.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Alright lets do this;

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Released Early in Australia

No it hasn't.

Reports are coming in that one of this year’s most anticipated games, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has been released ahead of it’s November 11 release date in Australia.

No it hasn't.

Several Target stores around Sydney and Melbourne have confirmed to us that they are selling the game today, with many EB Games stores saying they will be selling the title from 3PM AEDST.

Ah alright, so they WILL be selling says you. At 3PM. But it's not out yet.

Basically it's another click-bait article that's completely untrue. Good work.

Choc

Banned
GAZ WINRAR

User #146561 • 65 posts
cleric88
Forum Regular
CharcoaI

"Just rang the 'South Yarra' Big W (Melbourne) and they confirmed that Skyrim is available to be picked up today"

you sir are a liar, i just rang them and she said its not available, the game comes out tomorrow.

Jintor said:
What's with the second laggy-ass gif?
it's a big one. just realised they're both from the same episode that I watched last night (D&D episode)

I'd love to know more about street dates as they interest me. Is it just enthusiastic nerds who work there, desperate store managers, genuine mistakes?

Seems to me that there's no real penalty, or no reason not to gazump your rivals by selling early. How else do you explain this year's rash of breaks?

Choc said:
GAZ WINRAR

User #146561 • 65 posts
cleric88
Forum Regular
CharcoaI

"Just rang the 'South Yarra' Big W (Melbourne) and they confirmed that Skyrim is available to be picked up today"

you sir are a liar, i just rang them and she said its not available, the game comes out tomorrow.
But Serrels just said?

Choc

Banned
ClivePwned said:
it's a big one. just realised they're both from the same episode that I watched last night (D&D episode)

I'd love to know more about street dates as they interest me. Is it just enthusiastic nerds who work there, desperate store managers, genuine mistakes?

Seems to me that there's no real penalty, or no reason not to gazump your rivals by selling early. How else do you explain this year's rash of breaks?

clive

read this as to why its SHIT

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/10/why-street-date-breaks-are-bad-for-the-games-industry-as-a-whole/

Jintor

ClivePwned said:

It's been an on-off again topic in AusGAF for a while yet (especially since we have members in the games press and in the publishing side), but Choc's rant is a good starting place.

Choc

Banned
User #462004 • 11 posts
whim wam wong
Amusing quip
I'm new here, please be nice
Kmart Eastland is selling it, on my way now.

it;s like whack a mole!

Danoss

Typically, new-game day is on a Thursday, why does Skyrim have to try and be special? Thursday is the perfect day for most as it's on or shortly after pay day and it is also the day of late night shopping.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Danoss said:
Typically, new-game day is on a Thursday, why does Skyrim have to try and be special? Thursday is the perfect day for most as it's on or shortly after pay day and it is also the day of late night shopping.

Worldwide release date.

MrSerrels

Choc said:
User #462004 • 11 posts
whim wam wong
Amusing quip
I'm new here, please be nice
Kmart Eastland is selling it, on my way now.

it;s like whack a mole!

Stores are selling it all over the place -- whack-a-mole is right. But I told myself I wouldn't write a story until I had someone agree to sell me it, which happened.

But yeah, there's no way EB aren't going to bow to this pressure. There have been so many sales across the country...

Danoss said:

I agree Thursday is the best day to release new games, AC:R releases next Tuesday, I'll have to wait till Thursday to actually pick it up though.

VOOK said:
Worldwide release date.

That makes sense.

Danoss

VOOK said:
Worldwide release date.
Dumb. They just want to put a bunch of 1s everywhere.

"You can't forget our release date, it's 111111111111111111111111111111111111111"

Choc said:
expect Australia to miss out on shit like this if this keeps up.
My money is on nothing of the sort happening.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Choc said:
This is also why this street date is so important to keep

expect Australia to miss out on shit like this if this keeps up.

release dates are pathetic.

If they have the stock a store should start selling it.

My coles doesn't hold onto their 11 day expiry Farmers Union Iced Coffees for a day until the coles down the road has theirs.

Neither do CD stores, or DVD stores.

Precious games industry, needs help, oh noes ;_;

teekun

Danoss said:
Dumb. They just want to put a bunch of 1s everywhere.

"You can't forget our release date, it's 111111111111111111111111111111111111111"
You've basically given the exact reason why it is not dumb.

Remember, a worldwide release date means Australia still gets it before the rest of the world.

Fredescu

RandomVince said:
There are allegedly "so many things that harm the games industry" that it makes me wonder how such an industry even functions.
You're right, we never hear about devs getting closed down, they're all rich as fuck.

Rahk

Danoss said:
CD format to be abandoned by the end of 2012.

I'm sorry, how the hell is this a good idea? Paying top dollar for lossy, crappy sounding music. If it's in FLAC or something, fine, but I honestly don't see that happening. Everyone seems to love the crap quality MP3 format that music is released in, which isn't even 320kbps (which is still rubbish).

/Choc
Ridiculous. I won't be buying any music online until there's a decent store that sells FLAC. Something like Steam would be nice.

Lucky a lot of bands offer FLAC directly from them, but a centralised store would be nice.

Top Bottom