• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Clipper

HolyCheck said:
release dates are pathetic.

If they have the stock a store should start selling it.

My coles doesn't hold onto their 11 day expiry Farmers Union Iced Coffees for a day until the coles down the road has theirs.

Neither do CD stores, or DVD stores.

Precious games industry, needs help, oh noes ;_;
And the store that doesn't have their stock yet and won't because they have a slower shipment and will lose all their customers to the big chain down the street who has fast shipping and a bunch of copies a few days early. What do you say to them?

And DVD stores do have release dates too.

Yagharek

Fredescu said:
You're right, we never hear about devs getting closed down, they're all rich as fuck.

And you dont think that has anything to do with the mega-publisher model that my rant was about?

The industry has no diversity of ideas, supports only a few genres and races to ever increasing budgets. Look how many studios went bust this gen because they followed what "the industry" wanted with high def, blockbuster trash.

There were at least 3 viable low cost platforms to work on this gen, and most developers and publishers avoided two of them. Work that one out.

Danoss

Choc said:
http://gamejournos.com/

lol bethesda didnt give Kucera a Skyrim disc because he shat on RAGE
You know what? Game companies should just stop giving review copies to anyone and just do their own reviews. It's essentially what they want isn't it?

It is seriously childish behaviour. How can anyone take them seriously when this is the sort of crap that goes on?

I know they don't all do it, but it seems to be a more frequent thing.

Fredescu

RandomVince said:
And you dont think that has anything to do with the mega-publisher model that my rant was about?
It does, but it wasn't very clear that your rant was about that. You seemed to be complaining about successful games, not unsuccessful ones.

Gazunta

Danoss said:
You know what? Game companies should just stop giving review copies to anyone and just do their own reviews. It's essentially what they want isn't it?
Back when I was at Melbourne House this is exactly what we did :)

Choc

Banned
BIG W brisbane gaz

maybe you should call head office and kick their fucking heads in and tell them to send a memo out

how dumb are they

Gazunta

Choc said:
BIG W brisbane gaz
burns-flying-monkeys.JPG

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Clipper said:
And the store that doesn't have their stock yet and won't because they have a slower shipment and will lose all their customers to the big chain down the street who has fast shipping and a bunch of copies a few days early. What do you say to them?

DVDs rarely have street dates. CDs, on the other hand...

So, uh, are people selling Skyrim yet?

Yagharek

Fredescu said:
It does, but it wasn't very clear that your rant was about that. You seemed to be complaining about successful games, not unsuccessful ones.

No, I'll admit that I wasnt clear to begin with. I'll try re-state my view in a concise manner.

1. The industry/people within are always talking about x/y/z hurts the games industry. Usually x = used games, y = piracy, z = street date breaking

2. Publishers have forgotten two key points:
a) Not every game needs a $50 million budget
b) Not every game needs to be a carbon copy of the last big hit (ie CoD or GTA)

3. Publishers went out of their way this gen to support the mega-budget, expensive to produce high def market. This entailed far more risk with each game due to the investment, which in turn led to the increased emphasis on high review scores and the emergence of metacritic as the be-all and end-all. Which is why 8/10 is so controversial.

4. Low end, affordable platforms were abandoned by the largest publishers. They actively walked away from the immense PS2 userbase. They actively avoided the Wii platform from day one, occasionally providing contrived "test games". They ignored PSP completely after 2007. They barely acknowledged the existence of DS. And they wonder why so many studios went broke? They ignored all up a combined active userbase approaching 200 million people.

I can think of only one Wii exclusive (this gen) publisher that went belly up, and that was Cing. I could probably name ten HD exclusives that died and I know that would be understating it. But Free Radical, Factor 5, Grin, Team Bondi are all that come to mind right now.

Who do I blame for this? EA. Activision. Take 2. THQ. Warner. Ubisoft. Capcom. The same lot who always cry foul when x/y/z apparently "hurts the industry" when they are the self same ones doing the most damage.

Clipper

Rez said:
DVDs rarely have street dates. CDs, on the other hand...

So, uh, are people selling Skyrim yet?
So how do you explain all the DVD pre-orders I have made in the past? The proposed dates of release never changed and they never shipped early nor late (which you would expect if they were shipping when they received them). I'm not aware if the bricks and mortar stores actually follow those dates, but I know the online ones do, so assumed the other stores must do so as well as otherwise the online ones wouldn't bother either.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Clipper said:
So how do you explain all the DVD pre-orders I have made in the past? The proposed dates of release never changed and they never shipped early nor late (which you would expect if they were shipping when they received them). I'm not aware if the bricks and mortar stores actually follow those dates, but I know the online ones do, so assumed the other stores must do so as well as otherwise the online ones wouldn't bother either.
I mean, I can only speak for JB, but in my four months of working there every single release, from major blockbusters through smaller productions, have never been street dated. They have an expected date, but we always get them on shelves as soon as we get them. (Which is usually a handful of days prior to release.)

Games are usually the only things we get in with hard dates.

Choc

Banned
Rez said:
I mean, I can only speak for JB, but in my four months of working there every single release, from major blockbusters through smaller productions, have never been street dated. They have an expected date, but we always get them on shelves as soon as we get them. (Which is usually a handful of days prior to release.)

Star Wars Blu Ray?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Jintor said:
November one. The Special Edition has already been printed, should be on shelves tommorrow.

I know, I'm in this one. :p

Maybe it will street date break and I'll get it today :p

02c3D.jpg

^-- Includes genius.

Clipper

Rez said:

Ah, OK, so they have street dates but nobody bothers to attempt to enforce them... fair enough. Guess I should have tried shopping at stores more often (I now buy mostly Blu-Rays and only buy from Amazon, meaning it doesn't affect me now).

Fredescu

RandomVince said:
3. Publishers went out of their way this gen to support the mega-budget, expensive to produce high def market.
I agree with the rest of your rant (except that #1 is a separate issue to all the rest), but this isn't accurate. They didn't "go out of their way", they basically stuck to the same business model that they always had and that had been successful. This time though, the costs of competing were a lot higher than the increase in returns for all but a very small amount of games. It took this gen to figure that out.

I doubt that everyone creating unique and interesting games for the Wii was the road to success either, but there's no way to prove that one way or another. Now, making games for the Wii and DS is nowhere near as low cost as making games for the PC or iOS, so that is where most of those kind of efforts go. Rarely supported by big publishers, granted, but who needs em.

Choc

Banned
Rez said:
Ah. Yeah. That was the big exception.

and for some fucking reason they all managed to keep it

this is what shits game publishers up the wall, every other media manages to sort it out.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Clipper said:

Get a better supply chain, or organise yourselves better into a collective, see bottle shops and Cellarbrations

markot

Banned
Most people dont see it as a big deal I guess.

They see something out back in stock, someone asks for it, they think 'why not?'

I guess if there were contracts and actual repurcussions for breaking dates, like fines or what nots, it might make them more wary of releasing stuff early.

Choc

Banned
markot said:
Most people dont see it as a big deal I guess.

They see something out back in stock, someone asks for it, they think 'why not?'

I guess if there were contracts and actual repurcussions for breaking dates, like fines or what nots, it might make them more wary of releasing stuff early.

THERE IS

Jintor

That speaks of troll-bombing to be honest. I would expect User Reviews to even out perhaps around the 70s. Critical reviews will probably maintain a high 80s review.

A huge disparity is extremely unusual. When buggy pieces of shit still get relatively high user reviews (at least in comparison to a 2/10 metacritic average), it becomes apparent that this is probably a community-led strike.

Echoplx

Hahaha

All Interactive Entertainment
If you're wondering why everyone walking out of your local K-Mart or JB Hi Fi looks so happy, it's because they just bought...We Dance! You should see what all the fuss is about..

Choc

Banned
3chopl0x said:
Hahaha

All Interactive Entertainment
If you're wondering why everyone walking out of your local K-Mart or JB Hi Fi looks so happy, it's because they just bought...We Dance! You should see what all the fuss is about..

Gaz you legend

RandomVince said:
Looks like the EA/BF3 shills are out in force.

In all honesty, from what i have seen of the game i would be rating it somewhere under a 5 as well.

You can't copy paste a previous game and charge $100 for it.

It seems to me that what they have done is the same as if DICE took BFBC2, added in 64 player capability to MP and threw in a new campaign but left everything else the same and charged full price.

It's just not right.

ps. i just read through 3 pages of reviews and they seem pretty legit, no obvious trolls or any direct hate for the game.

markot

Banned
Marshmellow said:
In all honesty, from what i have seen of the game i would be rating it somewhere under a 5 as well.

It seems to me that what they have done is the same as if DICE took BFBC2, added in 64 player capability to MP and threw in a new campaign but left everything else the same and charged full price.

It's just not right.

ps. i just read through 3 pages of reviews and they seem pretty legit, no obvious trolls or any direct hate for the game.
That whole idea, same game every year, was the basis of EAs existance and strength awhiles back >.>!

(SPORT GAMES!)

Yagharek

Marshmellow said:

It's just not right.

I'm not saying MW3 is a work of art, or even a great game. But what I have noticed on various non-gaming sites that discuss technology and games, is that in all the comments there are EA shills talking up BF3. And this has been going on for months.

It's basically an intellectual debate on par with home and away fans versus neighbours fans. And in that sense, a fan of Passions would be able to claim the moral high ground.

Simply put: I reckon its a case of astroturfing by EA viral marketers.

Rezbit

I hope Skyrim doesn't break the date. I don't want you console suckers playing before me :mad:

Also, anyone read A Feast for Crows? Not really spoilers, but just to be sure don't highlight as there are some impressions.

This book sucks! I mean regardless of the direction the overarching story is going, it's just sloppily written in parts, and reeks of filler. The worst part is it's just so boring. The best part was when Arya called people cunts!

RandomVince said:
I'm not saying MW3 is a work of art, or even a great game. But what I have noticed on various non-gaming sites that discuss technology and games, is that in all the comments there are EA shills talking up BF3. And this has been going on for months.

It's basically an intellectual debate on par with home and away fans versus neighbours fans. And in that sense, a fan of Passions would be able to claim the moral high ground.

Simply put: I reckon its a case of astroturfing by EA viral marketers.

While i am aware of all this Vince i consider my self on neutral ground because while i have basically despised the CoD franchise ever since CoD2:UO i have been enjoying BFBC2 and now BF3 at arms length. I do believe that both games have problems etc. but the fact is BF is a more interesting and enjoyable game (to me). Even though it has its many problems.

If i had my way i would not touch either game but my friends all love FPS for lans so i am somewhat obligated to buy it.

Marshmellow said:

It's just not right.

Well, i loved BC2 and love BF3 but I can't see what's different about the multi in BF3 (apart from jets) that makes BF3 any more of a Battlefield game than BC or BC2. The only major difference in experience (SP aside) is that BC2 ran beautifully on my machine and the same rig can only play BF3 on low everything.

MW3 runs a hell of a lot better on the same machine. Upgrading is not happening just at the moment.

Choc, I still don't agree that breaking street dates (by a day or two) is so overly bad for the industry apart from the whole midnight launch BS but isn't that a little passe.

In the end, the very worst thing for developers is people not buying your game at all.

Street date breaks are bad for distributors perhaps. Publishers? fuck publishers.
At least people are interested in your game enough to buy it early.

I will always side with developers for a very good reason.

Top Bottom