• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I must have missed something, how are you linked to Skyrim, Gaz?

Rezbit

When I picture someone breaking street date I always think of trollface guy at the cash register, complete with hat, monocle and pipe.

Clipper

Wait, so it's really the case that nobody broke until now? This is confusing. I got fooled by the second wave of fake breaks...

Choc

Banned
well looks like we might enforce that you must change your POS systems to lock street dates in like the US does or you dont get our shit policy.

edit: Somehow LA Noire PC hasn't broken

oh wait

GTA V

pilonv1

Choc said:
well looks like we might enforce that you must change your POS systems to lock street dates in like the US does or you dont get our shit policy.

How would that even work here? Not every store has a POS that could do that.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jambo said:
New thread for new news? Anyone gonna make one?
A one day early date break doesn't really seem that substantial.

Choc

Banned
pilonv1 said:
How would that even work here? Not every store has a POS that could do that.

Its like this pilon

if you dont update your system to have this facility, the stuff is shipped to you the day before release and you get it lunch time on the day of release.

if you have it and show it, you get it a few days early to ensure a 9am. Retailers brought this on themselves.

markot

Banned
Doesnt EB have too much power to be able to do much to make them be not douchlers?, also I am guessing there is a 'if they break we can break!' clause in the contracts >.<?

Also you could put like autmoatic locks on the boxes, and put the boxes in safes, and seal the safes in cement, and then make it so if they even do break through, it will be by launch time anyway!

Kritz

Banned
Neverender said:
When does Skyrim unlock on steam?

midnight tonight, it seems.

Yes, we'll get the game a few hours earlier than the americans.

I think me and aon have the terrible idea that probably won't happen of logging onto mumble and COMMUNICATING ABOUT OUR ADVENTURES at midnight. Considering I'll only play for a few hours it'll probably just be us talking about the scripted first hour where nothing interesting happens.

But it probably won't happen.

markot

Banned
Rez said:
A one day early date break doesn't really seem that substantial.
Its not really fair though to the retailers who play fairly, and to the large chunk of potential purchases who will see the break and gogogo, even to EB with their full price shennanigans.

MrSerrels

Every mom and pop retailer had been selling it today. Part of the problem was attempting to sell it on a Friday.

Part of me thinks a lot of this was planned in advance -- on EBs side of the fence at least. They just wanted to wait and make sure all stores had stock.

Choc

Banned
i just want to know the time that EB changed from only breaking locally, to one reciept equals national break

i really do, because thats when shit got fucked up.

EB is a blight on this countries game industry in many ways. Wish i could go into details, but we would be better off in many ways without them.

pilonv1

Choc said:
Its like this pilon

if you dont update your system to have this facility, the stuff is shipped to you the day before release and you get it lunch time on the day of release.

if you have it and show it, you get it a few days early to ensure a 9am. Retailers brought this on themselves.

I raised "shipping day before/day of" last week regarding Uncharted 3. IMO it's the only way it will work here.

Clipper

Choc said:
Its like this pilon

I support this. Yes, it punishes the consumers too, in that they don't get to play their games that day or two early, but I do see street dates as being very useful and not to be toyed with the way EB is almost certainly doing.

Kritz

Banned
Oh, also, here's a thing I did for people who like AusGAF chat and have keyboards that have macro keys.

Code:
set shell = createobject("wscript.shell")
success = shell.AppActivate("AusGaf - Group Chat") 
if success then 
wscript.Sleep 10
shell.sendkeys "%{F4}"
End If
wscript.Sleep 250
shell.run("steam://friends/joinchat/103582791430120104")

Copy that into a notepad document, save as join.vbs. Then go into your keyboard macro editor (so the G15 gamekey thing whatever it's called) and tell it to run that file as a shortcut. It'll instantly join you to the AusGAF chat, so you don't have to go through friends > group > ausgaf > join.

Alternatively, if AusGAF chat is running, it'll exit out and re-enter. Which... I have been using for when I get kicked by aon.

Completely useless little script. You could probably just stick a shortcut on your desktop that opens the steam hyperlink above and it'd do effectively the same thing. It's handy when booting up your PC, though.

pilonv1

Choc said:
i just want to know the time that EB changed from only breaking locally, to one reciept equals national break

I wonder if they'd break the release like this if it was an EA or an Activision releasing Skyrim today?

Rimfya

Banned
EB doing everything they can to remain afloat. If that's acting BA when it comes to release dates so be it.

Do they also pull the genius move of releasing early and not price matching because they're the only outlet selling?

Choc

Banned
Games that broke street date in 2011

Batman
RAGE
Skyrim
Dead Island
Dead Space 2
Little Big Planet 2
Test Drive Unlimited
Homefront
Deus Ex

Pretty much every major game that was released since september has broken its date bar MW3 and a little bit of UC3

its ridiculous.

Dead Man

Choc said:

Batman
RAGE
Skyrim
Dead Island
Dead Space 2
Little Big Planet 2
Test Drive Unlimited
Homefront
Deus Ex

Pretty much every major game that was released since september has broken its date bar MW3 and a little bit of UC3

its ridiculous.
And the consequences of that were?

markot

Banned
Choc said:

Batman
RAGE
Skyrim
Dead Island
Dead Space 2
Little Big Planet 2
Test Drive Unlimited
Homefront
Deus Ex

its ridiculous.
Didnt Zelda... or some Nintendo game break early?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Choc said:

Batman
RAGE
Skyrim
Dead Island
Dead Space 2
Little Big Planet 2
Test Drive Unlimited
Homefront
Deus Ex

its ridiculous.

you forgot the biggest one

OoT.

stores had signs up saying "ask us about Zelda"

Choc

Banned
Rimfya said:
EB doing everything they can to remain afloat. If that's acting BA when it comes to release dates so be it.

Do they also pull the genius move of releasing early and not price matching because they're the only outlet selling?

yes they do. Which is why this is shit even more so

MrSerrels

Choc said:

Batman
RAGE
Skyrim
Dead Island
Dead Space 2
Little Big Planet 2
Test Drive Unlimited
Homefront
Deus Ex

its ridiculous.

EB was happy to let this whole hype train ride with the 'we're selling at 3pm' rumour. It's a marketing exercise -- I reckon they got an extra 10,000 facebook followers from Skyrim break alone!

pilonv1

Yeah nothing this year compares to the Zelda break

MrSerrels said:
EB was happy to let this whole hype train ride with the 'we're selling at 3pm' rumour. It's a marketing exercise -- I reckon they got an extra 10,000 facebook followers from Skyrim break alone!

It also probably gets a few more people in store who want to get it today for sure, rather than wait a day and maybe get it $10 a Target/Big W etc..

Choc

Banned
Dead Man said:
And the consequences of that were?

you will see in 2012 the consequences

Uncharted was not in every store nationwide 9am last thursdya, why? because the fuckwits that usually break got it shipped last.

markot

Banned
Rimfya said:
more sales = more sales, still not getting it.

Because if you ship to x,y,z and say sell on the 10th. Then they all take 100 units of stock, but X is a bitch and sells on the 9th! News gets out and people flock to the store to get the game early.

Come the 11th, X has sold far more of its stock than y and z, who were playing by the rules.

Y and Z then become pissy because they lost money due to x releasing early.

Its less about the publishers and more publisher/store relations. You want to keep them all happy, and on even footing, so that they stock your game prominantly!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
MrSerrels said:
Every mom and pop retailer had been selling it today. Part of the problem was attempting to sell it on a Friday.

Part of me thinks a lot of this was planned in advance -- on EBs side of the fence at least. They just wanted to wait and make sure all stores had stock.

I might be able to confirm that.

Street Dates face a whole different beast with Nintendo next week, heres where a break could REALLY fuck up something for us. Nintendo Japan fucking HATE it when it happens. We'll back in the dark ages for release dates.

Choc

Banned
also note that LA Noire did not break this year

AND a rockstar game has never broken

GTA is something that is that powerful

and rockstar has the balls to tell eb to fuck off you arent getting gta if they break something

edit: forgot Sonic generations broke as well

3pm last wednesday

that 3pm is sounding pretty common fuck EXCLUSIVE BASTARDRY

Top Bottom