• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
markot said:
Didnt Zelda... or some Nintendo game break early?

Ocarina of Time broke. It wasn't even put on shelves, just sold sneakily behind the counter. I don't remember how long before the release date this happened though.

Clipper

VOOK said:
I might be able to confirm that.
Which part? That EB had this planned all along? That would be a real scoop and needs to be revealed if so...

EatChildren said:
Ocarina of Time broke. It wasn't even put on shelves, just sold sneakily behind the counter. I don't remember how long before the release date this happened though.
It was a week or so early or something, because one of the stores (was it Game?) decided to sell parallel import copies from the UK (which were inferior due to not qualifying for the CD, even).

Choc

Banned
Clipper said:
Which part? That EB had this planned all along? That would be a real scoop and needs to be revealed if so...

people on whirlpool yesterday said it would break at 3pm

how the FUCK did they know that?! and get it right?!

Clipper

Choc said:

Oh, I agree that there is a TON of circumstantial evidence pointing to this being pre-planned. So much so that I am fully convinced. VOOK seemed to indicate he might have some definitive proof, though...

jambo

EatChildren said:

Yeah it was weird. I went up to the counter in EB and asked for it and the guy kinda joked about not really selling it, then grabbed a copy for me from out the back =\

Jintor

EatChildren said:

Less than 3 days wasn't it?

I remember investigating in Chatswood the day before it was rumoured to break. Dude categorically denied everything (and tried to sell me on a preorder for the exclusive ocarina). Went to another store the next day, picked it up no questions asked.

teekun

Choc said:

Even without Whirlpools input, to have EB and GAME both start selling at 3pm nationwide with simultaneous announcements is evidence enough.

This is mental. The review embargo hasn't even lifted yet.

Danoss

I see someone on the Kotaku comments 10mins ago is cursing JB's name since they haven't broken.

It's open season on Skyrim: http://www.jbhifi.com.au/games/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/

Choc

Banned
and now bethesda is going to get slammed on their forums because of the steam lock on retail copies

and its not their fualt

fuck, people have no idea

Just nicked out of work and got a copy from JB HiFi (EB seem to want $109 for it!).

Should I feel guilty? I probably won't even get a chance to play it tonight as I'm going out for a meal with the wife, but I just got all giddy when I heard about the street date break!

Choc

Banned
Gaz this may itnerest you

EBGamesAus EB Games Australia (twitter)
We won't be fined. We waited until we had full permission to sell.

if they didnt have your permission i suggest you call head office and tell them to stop sprouting shit on their social networks.

jambo

Choc said:
and now bethesda is going to get slammed on their forums because of the steam lock on retail copies

and its not their fualt

fuck, people have no idea

It might be frustrating if a mum picked up a copy of Skyrim for her kid or something. He gets home from school, she gives the game to him, he installs it and then it's just all nope.avi on Steam.

Another reason why EB and HN shouldn't break street release dates, makes for a bad user experience for Steamworks games.

Clipper

Jintor said:
Less than 3 days wasn't it?

I remember investigating in Chatswood the day before it was rumoured to break. Dude categorically denied everything (and tried to sell me on a preorder for the exclusive ocarina). Went to another store the next day, picked it up no questions asked.
A week.

Jintor

Clipper said:
Only because Game went and started selling the import stock from the UK or something, right?

Yeah, it was definitely something to do with other retailers selling import stock off and confusing the market

markot said:
Too bad you cant report on it, its not a Nintendo game!

I'd assume Vooksy would want it on his site, but he might shop it out to Next or Allure for more eyeballs. Assuming it's solid of course.

markot

Banned
Clipper said:
Only because Game went and started selling the import stock from the UK or something, right?
Gametraders I think, and they started doing that, apparently, because they thought that the ocarina eb thingy was an official Nintendo tie in or something >.<?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
markot said:
Too bad you cant report on it, its not a Nintendo game!
I can't, but I can give the info to others ;)

It was Gametraders who sold Zelda imports, EB were like then fuck that we're gonna sell then too but denied they did unless you asked for it. Other retailers then sold it.

Dead Man

Choc said:
you will see in 2012 the consequences

Uncharted was not in every store nationwide 9am last thursdya, why? because the fuckwits that usually break got it shipped last.
Let me rephrase that.

The consequences of that (outside panty bunching and name calling between retailers and distributers) were?

Choc

Banned
Dead man it takes time to implement change and update retailer contracts

also you know, people wanted to give them as much chance as possible to show they can handle it

they obviously can't

change will happen

Deeku

I don't know anything about the industry, but unless there are significant consequences to breaking street dates, nothing will change. I would happily breach a contract if the benefits outweighed the consequences.

But yes, this was a pretty entertaining day on ausgaf lol!

jambo

But they've been breaking street release dates for years.

Back in 2008 I got Crysis almost two weeks before it was supposed to come out.

Dead Man

Choc said:
Dead man it takes time to implement change and update retailer contracts

also you know, people wanted to give them as much chance as possible to show they can handle it

they obviously can't

change will happen
I'm not trying to be difficult, I just don't see the consequences outside of contracts. There is no negative to the consumer, the store (outside of contracts), or the distributor. What is the damn problem. I know there are contracts, I'm not talking about that, I'm asking why there are contracts. Most other mediums do fine, it feels like more game exceptionalism (used games etc) to me.

Choc

Banned
jambo said:
But they've been breaking street release dates for years.

Back in 2008 I got Crysis almost two weeks before it was supposed to come out.
the problem is the retailers (EB especially) has changed their attitude

breaks used to only occur locally, not nationally but for some reason EB and GAME have changed to an attitude of 1 docket means national break. Thats when shit got serious.

Yagharek

pilonv1 said:
I wonder if they'd break the release like this if it was an EA or an Activision releasing Skyrim today?

Didnt mw3 break? Or fifa 12? Either way, choc said it would be fine if activision games broke. NFI where the double standard comes from.

Yagharek

Also, I went in to EB today just as they were putting skyrim on the shelves. Walked out with the superior Child of Eden game instead.

Choc

Banned
also overseas you don't see people going rabbid refreshing message boards looking for that 1 docket

we have got to a point in australia where its expected to break and that is so bad. I personally believe today was co-ordinated by EB/Game and they are a bunch of cunts who only give a shit about themselves.

People want worldwide release dates and whinge australia gets games 2 days late

HELLo

stop fucking breaking worldwide dates then........

Deeku

RandomVince said:
Also, I went in to EB today just as they were putting skyrim on the shelves. Walked out with the superior Child of Eden game instead.
You didn't buy it from ozgameshop when reptile posted that awesome $20 deal? smh

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Choc said:
also overseas you don't see people going rabbid refreshing message boards looking for that 1 docket

we have got to a point in australia where its expected to break and that is so bad. I personally believe today was co-ordinated by EB/Game and they are a bunch of cunts who only give a shit about themselves.

People want worldwide release dates and whinge australia gets games 2 days late

HELLo

stop fucking breaking worldwide dates then........

If Skyward Sword/Super Mario break we'll be alright. But if Mario Kart 7 breaks, we'll never get a Nintendo game again on time.

Jintor

commanderdeek said:
I don't know anything about the industry, but unless there are significant consequences to breaking street dates, nothing will change. I would happily breach a contract if the benefits outweighed the consequences.

But yes, this was a pretty entertaining day on ausgaf lol!

Remind me to put some crazy-ass binding clauses in anything you sign

Top Bottom