• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Kritz

Banned
AusGAF Steam Chat is once again watching some Cowboy Bebop. We're going from episode 6 to episode 10. Anyone who wants to fire up their DVDs or... the other thing, join chat. We'll be starting soon with one of my favourite episodes - Symphony for the Devil.

:D

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
You get the referral when ever you spend the cash. No need to do it straight away as you are already listed on my referral page.
It should accept Paypal? Has your email/bank account been verified by Paypal?
Cheers!

Yeah, I've been using it for ages and it's been verified. Weird thing is, it's not even letting me select Paypal at all. One thing I did notice though is that someone said you need to use the same email addy for GMG that you use for Paypal... so I updated it to that email address, but it's still not giving me any options :/

At least I know the credit has gone through. Just have to wait for the GMG support guys to get back to me. They seem pretty good in that regard, so I'm not stressed.

Echoplx

Is f-lux any good? Always avoided it because I don't want to ruin the colors on my IPS monitor.

EDIT: Oh god that is a horrible effect, looks like ass.

Clipper

So, my PS3 died tonight while I was watching a Blu-Ray, but thankfully the group watching of Bebop has made me feel a little better about it.

I was sort of expecting it to YLOD sooner or later, but at least the timing is such that I should have time to get it reflowed before the uber crunch of games hits. I might just buy a Slim too with the price drops and all, given the YLOD fixes are usually temporary.

Oh, and I guess this gives me plenty of time for Xenoblade too!

markot

Banned
The people have spoken:

Kevin Rudd has become an undisputed king of Twitter, reaching one million followers on the popular social networking website.

"Just got to a million Twitter followers. Thanks to all. One guy said it's time for a new twitter pic. How about my 1977 mo photo? KRudd," the Foreign Minister tweeted.

Mr Rudd, who tweets from the account KRuddMP, is thought to be the first Australian politician to reach the million-follower milestone.

By comparison, Prime Minister Julia Gillard has just over 126,000 followers while Opposition Leader Tony Abbott has almost 40,000 followers.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-10/kevin-rudd-hits-1-million-twitter-followers/2879926

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Tony Abbot will save Australia.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Trust me man.

Trust me.

midonnay

ahaha, collingwood fans getting a serve by the HUN for saying bad stuff to Naita....

I was in the thick of it and the worst I heard was "You dickheads you dickheads go the fuck back home west!!!"

also this pies fan gave me a hug after the game.... that was alittle ghey >_>

Darklord said:
http://www.news.com.au/national/can...coco-pops-monkey/story-e6frfkvr-1226133898291

This is getting ridiculous. Banning the Paddle Pop Lion, Coco Pops Monkey, Toucan Sam? Plain packaging on cereal? It's stupid enough with cigarettes! What's wrong with people?
They should also ban companies using product names. All products should consist of [product] followed by [accurate description of products]. For example, Corn Flakes should be called "Kellogg's Steam Cooked Maize Flattened and then Toasted"; ice-creams would become "Streets Frozen Dairy Product with Added Artificial Colour and Flavour".

This will stop people being attracted by the unscrupulous evil marketing machinations of companies.

Oh, and all packing needs to be in a box. White. Black font for product name. Arial. 15pt. No logos. No product picture.

Edit: and what the hell has this got to do with the cancer council?

Darklord said:
http://www.news.com.au/national/can...coco-pops-monkey/story-e6frfkvr-1226133898291

This is getting ridiculous. Banning the Paddle Pop Lion, Coco Pops Monkey, Toucan Sam? Plain packaging on cereal? It's stupid enough with cigarettes! What's wrong with people?
Cigarette packaging is making a completely useless item that kills you look more attractive.
Sugary food packaging is making an item which gives you nourishment and nutrients along with stuff like sugar that can make you unhealthy if you ingest lots of it look more attractive. Sugar tastes good and is part of a lot of foods we eat every day.

The difference is that changing the packaging for sugary foods is basically helping parents be lazy fuckers who can't be bothered feeding their children properly.

Plain packaging with smokes is to take away as much glamour involved in the process of smoking as possible in order to stop it being looked at as a 'cool' thing to do, especially for teenagers.

If we can't have the Coco Pops Monkey then does that mean no more awesome VB ads on tv? Same deal there, product that if taken in large quantities over a long period of time might lead to you being unhealthy.

Darklord

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
Cigarette packaging is making a completely useless item that kills you look more attractive.
Sugary food packaging is making an item which gives you nourishment and nutrients along with stuff like sugar that can make you unhealthy if you ingest lots of it look more attractive. Sugar tastes good and is part of a lot of foods we eat every day.

The difference is that changing the packaging for sugary foods is basically helping parents be lazy fuckers who can't be bothered feeding their children properly.

Plain packaging with smokes is to take away as much glamour involved in the process of smoking as possible in order to stop it being looked at as a 'cool' thing to do, especially for teenagers.

If we can't have the Coco Pops Monkey then does that mean no more awesome VB ads on tv? Same deal there, product that if taken in large quantities over a long period of time might lead to you being unhealthy.

I don't think anyone has ever bought a packet of cigarettes because of the packaging. If it's legal, they shouldn't cover them up and plain package them. And I don't even smoke. Smoking isn't even seen as "cool" anymore. If teenagers do it it's to be rebellious.

midonnay

you guys never heard of pester power?

mummy mummy I want that one with the monkey MUMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

mum: sigh.... kill me now

there is a difference to marketing to children and a VB ad (although I don't know why they're given free reign when cigarettes are so maligned)

also the cancer council wasn't arguing for plain packaging, thats tomfoolery by news limited. They're trying to torpedo the cigarette legislation by portraying them as nazis.

Darklord said:
I don't think anyone has ever bought a packet of cigarettes because of the packaging. If it's legal, they shouldn't cover them up and plain package them. And I don't even smoke. Smoking isn't even seen as "cool" anymore. If teenagers do it it's to be rebellious.
I know several people who smoke certain brands because of the packaging.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Seriously? Yikes.

It's kind of a moot point around my circles now, though. Almost everyone I know who's been a long-term smoker has cut down drastically in their habit, 90% quitting completely. Those people who wouldn't quit couldn't give two shits about the packaging, I'm guessing.

I think the question is, would changing the packaging prevent the uptake of new (young) smokers? I have a pretty good feeling that it would.
DeathJr said:
Sigh, these kids.
Glad they included a picture of a police officer that "wasn't impressed" with someone's actions. Great journalism.

Agyar

Darklord said:

I'll give a few marketing firms a call and let them know they can all go home early.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Darklord said:
Smoking isn't even seen as "cool" anymore. If teenagers do it it's to be rebellious.

That's horse shit.
My sister and all her friends smoke, and started smoking anywhere between the ages of 13 and 16 because it's cool.

Yagharek

Scrow said:
get paul keating back in parliament i say

Paul Keating is an arrogant, hateful and unrepresentative swill licker. The only reason people keep saying they want him back is because by comparison Hawke was a drunkard and Whitlam was a space cadet. Liberal ex pms are no better. Howard is still stuck in the menzies era and Fraser thinks he has become mother Theresa.

None of them are good leaders.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
This is the most important thing going from this point on.
Yup. People are questioning whether it would make a difference but unless you're able to get into the head of a teenager who is under peer pressure to fit in (or whatever) then it's impossible to know. But for fuck's sake, it's SOMETHING.

There's no good reason NOT to do it. Even if it's not "cool", if it prevents even a small percentage of kids taking up a poisonous habit that will destroy their lives and creating a drain on the public health system, then it's worth it.

And it doesn't even affect people who already smoke. The only people who have basis for arguing against it are the corporations who make their money from pushing their brand the hardest.

reptilescorpio said:
I though it was the act of smoking (and the associated coolness that an act of teenage rebellion brings) that made it attractive. I would have thought that the packaging only helps in product recall, in that you know your friend "smokes the one with the beach."

midonnay said:
you guys never heard of pester power?

mummy mummy I want that one with the monkey MUMMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

mum: sigh.... kill me now
That's an innate part of having child. A child will do that for almost anything. Granted, the iconic child-friendly character will help with appeal but a child will remember the name and packet design of anything that has a metric fucktonne of sugar in it.

midonnay said:
there is a difference to marketing to children and a VB ad (although I don't know why they're given free reign when cigarettes are so maligned)
Yep, children don't have money. And parents will give in to a child just so they don't have to be a parent and say no to their child. If parents actually held strong pester power would not exist. At the end of the day, it's a quicker short term alternative.

midonnay said:
also the cancer council wasn't arguing for plain packaging, thats tomfoolery by news limited. They're trying to torpedo the cigarette legislation by portraying them as nazis.
That is very much out of character by News Limited.

reptilescorpio said:
Sigh.

Shaneus said:
I think the question is, would changing the packaging prevent the uptake of new (young) smokers? I have a pretty good feeling that it would.
If anything, teenagers (and people in general) people will just pick the cheapest pack now (excluding existing smoker's where brand loyalty exists). Right?

Fredescu

Planet_JASE said:
That's an innate part of having child. A child will do that for almost anything. Granted, the iconic child-friendly character will help with appeal but a child will remember the name and packet design of anything that has a metric fucktonne of sugar in it.
They won't experience the metric fucktonne of sugar in the first place if advertising isn't directed at them. Of course parents have a role too, but how many 20 something AusGAFs bitch about screaming kids in supermarkets? Probably near 100%. Can you blame the parents who don't have iron resolve? They're probably getting filthy looks from parentless folk about not being able to control their kid. Which is pretty lol.

Shaneus

Fredescu said:
Can you blame the parents who don't have iron resolve? They're probably getting filthy looks from parentless folk about not being able to control their kid. Which is pretty lol.
They get a filthy look from me because most of them around Geelong are under the age of 21 ;)

Planet_JASE said:
I though it was the act of smoking (and the associated coolness that an act of teenage rebellion brings) that made it attractive. I would have thought that the packaging only helps in product recall, in that you know your friend "smokes the one with the beach."

Yep, children don't have money. And parents will give in to a child just so they don't have to be a parent and say no to their child. If parents actually held strong pester power would not exist. At the end of the day, it's a quicker short term alternative.

If anything, teenagers (and people in general) people will just pick the cheapest pack now (excluding existing smoker's where brand loyalty exists). Right?
The act of smoking is what causes the addiction yes. In order to avoid the addiction the correct measure is for someone not to do it a bunch of times. So the best course of action is to remove reasons for people to take up smoking.

The key is moderation, a child should be allowed to have a paddle pop every now and then. Just have to make them realise that there are TONS of other foods as well. No need for a child to only want 4 different foods in their life when there are literally thousands of different things you could feed them. My sister was a kid who would only eat a handle of different things because my parents got sick of her complaining and just let her have what she wanted rather than expose her to a heap of stuff.

If people wanted to smoke what was cheapest they would roll their own or buy the knock off stuff. As smoking is an addiction a large part of the reason someone buys a certain pack of smokes is largely in their mind.

Shaneus said:
You're gonna be an awesome dad, rs. Should be more younger parents who think like you.
In theory the little guy should hopefully turn out to be a moral, productive member of society. In practise though it will probably result in me losing my sanity, as well as a decent probability that he will be a douche in some way. Being a parent really does run you through a gauntlet where your self control goes beyond what you think is possible. I already have the utmost respect for single parents, no idea how they could cope. Parents certainly need help with stuff that isn't widespread knowledge (games classification is a great example, although even then they should be willing to do a basic wiki on the subject product) but everyone knows that sugar isn't the best thing for you. Hell, even cutting down to a simple proposition of how much money it would cost you in dentist bills for a child who eats non-stop sugary stuff should be enough to come up with some kind of bartering system for a child to have their sweets (like do your homework or something).

HolyCheck said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euagRlGrzEQ
This is what smoking has done to the younger kids.
ALL OF THEM ARE HAVING EPILEPTIC FITS
Generation of doctors prescribing ADD medication to kids with an excitable temperament. Plus Adelaide ;)

Jintor

3chopl0x said:
Is f-lux any good? Always avoided it because I don't want to ruin the colors on my IPS monitor.

EDIT: Oh god that is a horrible effect, looks like ass.

Your eyes get used to it and it really makes a difference working late into the night. Terrible for colour work though.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
Generation of doctors prescribing ADD medication to kids with an excitable temperament. Plus Adelaide ;)
Those two things don't go together. If it's Adelaide, it's probably cough syrup ;)

This really was a bad weekend to get stuck into Deus Ex and Grand Prix Story. Still another 2000 words to go and I haven't even done any data mining. :(
Urge to drop out of my degree again rising.

Shaneus said:
I'm still trying to buy Deus Ex from GMG. I'm thinking of giving up and just buying a CD key off a somewhat dodgy site :/
Have you tried lodging a ticket, posting in the GAF thread or contacting them on twitter? They tend to be pretty quick to respond.
Otherwise use your debit card!

Top Bottom