• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Omikron

Kritz said:

Yey?

Amazings! :D

legend166

Kritz said:
I TOOK A PICTURE

it was actually of a LADY ON THE STREET but I did it in HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE LIGHTING so you couldn't tell. Now I, Kritz, have all the glory of being the world's greatest photographer!

I read this in the voice of T-Rex from Dinosaur Comics.

Well, not his voice, since it's a comic and he doesn't have a voice. But the voice I usually read that comic in. Know what I mean?

._.

Kritz

Banned
hamchan said:
You said 3 blocks away in Steam chat you fucking liar!!

IT MIGHT EVEN BE SIX I DON'T WANT TO REVEAL MY TRUE LOCATION IN NEW TOWN EVEN THOUGH I'M PRETTY SURE MY WEBSITE WHOIS HAS IT, MY REAL NAME, MY SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER AND DETAILED RECORDS OF EVERY HILARIOUS JOKE I'VE EVER SAID.

Kritz said:
IT MIGHT EVEN BE SIX I DON'T WANT TO REVEAL MY TRUE LOCATION IN NEW TOWN EVEN THOUGH I'M PRETTY SURE MY WEBSITE WHOIS HAS IT, MY REAL NAME, MY SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER AND DETAILED RECORDS OF EVERY HILARIOUS JOKE I'VE EVER SAID.
You've made funny jokes?

probably better ones that that

Bernbaum

Speaking of 'AusGAF elders' there are eight members who posted on the first page of good ol' AusGAF 1.0 three years ago that have posted in this thread:

VOOK, Kritz, Rezbit, legend166, evlcookie, viciouskillersquirrel, speedpop, and Bernbaum.

Make it 14 members if you're on 100ppp, which adds:

Fredescu, Shaneus, Rlan and x3n05.

Your Honour Guard Badges of Merit are in the mail.

Kritz said:
guys I'm shutting down the thread we have to start AusGAF 5/5 STARS now before anybody important sees this mess
There is absolutely no way that AusGAF 5.0 won't be named AusGAF 5/5 Stars. If it isn't, then I quit life.

Fredescu

The guy that suggested we make an AusGAF thread doesn't even post anymore. I forget his name but he had a Ryan Scott avatar iirc.

Fredescu

hamchan said:
Speaking of snark, I've been noticing a growing amount of it on GAF lately and it's starting to make me hate the place.
My participation with online communities almost always follows this pattern:

1. Find new and interesting community
2. Lurk and get to know the place
3. Slowly begin participating
4. Full participation, becoming comfortable with the subject matter, familiar with the experts, wary of the trolls, and undertstanding of the communal knowledge
5. Growing impatience with newcomers and their dogged insistance of something contra to arguments that have already been had and won
6. Full snark mode. The new comers have taken over and the discussion is now mostly ideas that have been argued in full in the past, and I no longer have the patience to logically argue the point anymore. One line sarcastic responses.
7. Realise I'm no longer enjoying myself and it's mostly my doing. Take a step back for a while.
8. GOTO 3

I have a feeling that some people get to 6 and stop. Also, somehow some people manage to stay at 4 forever and I don't know how but they are generally saints.

Kritz

Banned
jambo said:
Is he orbi or orbitcube on the forums?

orbitcube.

BanShunsaku said:
What happened to that Alistair guy with the sweet avatars?

Um, he made a podcast with me and choc. He left pretty much the day after that.

Also haven't seen Mar around lately. He posted something on Gamecrux a few months ago. I think. He also deleted my kitten review. :(

CryptiK

I remember alistairw just straight up disappearing during the podcast days. Fuck I didnt know Orbi disappeared I swear I have seen him on steam. Last on Steam 21 Hours ago he is still alive...

hamchan

Fredescu said:

4. Full participation, becoming comfortable with the subject matter, familiar with the experts, wary of the trolls, and undertstanding of the communal knowledge
5. Growing impatience with newcomers and their dogged insistance of something contra to arguments that have already been had and won
6. Full snark mode. The new comers have taken over and the discussion is now mostly ideas that have been argued in full in the past, and I no longer have the patience to logically argue the point anymore. One line sarcastic responses.
7. Realise I'm no longer enjoying myself and it's mostly my doing. Take a step back for a while.
8. GOTO 3

I have a feeling that some people get to 6 and stop. Also, somehow some people manage to stay at 4 forever and I don't know how but they are generally saints.

Yeah I've already mostly stopped posting in Gaming and Off Topic. I think it's time I take step 7 and stop reading it altogether. Community is where it's at.

Deeku

I didn't post much at all in the first ausgaf. Actually, I think I lurked on gaf for a long time before posting anywhere because I found it kinda intimidating at first.

And yeah, I miss the guy with the crazy "kid pretending to be a skateboard grinding on a ladder" avatar.

legend166

Bernbaum said:
Speaking of 'AusGAF elders' there are eight members who posted on the first page of good ol' AusGAF 1.0 three years ago that have posted in this thread:

VOOK, Kritz, Rezbit, legend166, evlcookie, viciouskillersquirrel, speedpop, and Bernbaum.

Make it 14 members if you're on 100ppp, which adds:

Fredescu, Shaneus, Rlan and x3n05.

Your Honour Guard Badges of Merit are in the mail.

There is absolutely no way that AusGAF 5.0 won't be named AusGAF 5/5 Stars. If it isn't, then I quit life.

OGAusGAF is best AusGAF.

I think my account was approved about 20 pages in to AusGAF 1.0. Was a bit intimidated at first but everyone was friendly
back then

But seriously, AusGAF is a pretty decent community. I love youse all

BanShunsaku said:
I think my account was approved about 20 pages in to AusGAF 1.0. Was a bit intimidated at first but everyone was friendly
back then

But seriously, AusGAF is a pretty decent community. I love youse all

You just said a bad word
youse
, i'm not sure we can be friends anymore

Also on an unrelated topic Jambo just fixed my music stream at work for me and i now owe him 1 life debt

Marshmellow said:
You just said a bad word
youse
, i'm not sure we can be friends anymore

Also on an unrelated topic Jambo just fixed my music stream at work for me and i now owe him 1 life debt
Apologies, my Jeff Fenech impersonation doesn't work on the Internet!

jambo

I had a look through the last couple of pages and it all looks normal.

They were posting pictures of british girls for a while at the start, maybe our Google Overlords didn't like that.

hamchan

legend166 said:
Also, Brit-GAF got their thread locked.

Let's all point and laugh!

LOLOLOLOL

I guess I contributed by posting a pic of Karen Gillan.

AusGAF doesn't get locked because we post pics of Ricki Lee.

Bernbaum

Fredescu said:

8. GOTO 3

GAF is the only online community I've ever been active in. An ex of mine was a mod on the Penny Arcade forums and it creeped me out just how much time she spent on the forums. She engaged almost solely in OT threads and didn't care about gaming, which seemed stupid to me. She would pick fights over religion and feminism and was just an all-round nutjob who did a lot to put me off the concept of online forums entirely. GAF was purely a lurking experience for the 6 months or so since before I applied as well as the waiting period that followed and it was still a few months after memberfication that I actually started posting.

I've met probably 10 people from GAF across Australia and in the US and found them to be well-adjusted sensible people which was reassuring. If I haven't posted in AusGAF for any period of time it's almost always because I've been away for work.

I posted in Vooks, Kotaku comments and Australian Gamer and lurked around Palgn when I was an active writer. Vooks had a huge community which dwindled down to its core members; Australian Gamer was borderline hostile with a very devoted few regulars and I probably would have spent more time on Palgn if it weren't for GAF/AusGAF which provided all that I needed and more.

AusGAF really is a diamond in the rough. Even though there are common stripes (male teens to twentysomethings; cynical; downloads TV shows; atheist; doesn't play video games) there are some wildly different personalities and discussion is usually carried out respectfully. The one thing that annoys me is poorly written posts. A contributor, regardless of intelligence, will always look rushed and foolish if they've posted up some kneejerk response with shoddy/absent grammar. Rez (one of my favourite posters) is guilty of this. So is Choc. I will happily take a post that I fundamentally disagree with if it is at least articulated well over something that might be in parallel with my politics but was vomited out without a token level of self-editing. Example: legend166 is a conservative christian (I can absolutely guarantee you that I am neither) but I always have time for whatever he posts.

Shaneus

jambo said:
I had a look through the last couple of pages and it all looks normal.

They were posting pictures of british girls for a while at the start, maybe our Google Overlords didn't like that.
I hope it was EatChildren. That would elevate him to Best GAF Mod Ever (according to AusGAF).

Bernbaum said:
GAF is the only online community I've ever been active in. An ex of mine was a mod on the Penny Arcade forums and it creeped me out just how much time she spent on the forums. She engaged almost solely in OT threads and didn't care about gaming, which seemed stupid to me. She would pick fights over religion and feminism and was just an all-round nutjob who did a lot to put me off the concept of online forums entirely. GAF was purely a lurking experience for the 6 months or so since before I applied as well as the waiting period that followed and it was still a few months after memberfication that I actually started posting.

I've met probably 10 people from GAF across Australia and in the US and found them to be well-adjusted sensible people which was reassuring. If I haven't posted in AusGAF for any period of time it's almost always because I've been away for work.

I posted in Vooks, Kotaku comments and Australian Gamer and lurked around Palgn when I was an active writer. Vooks had a huge community which dwindled down to its core members; Australian Gamer was borderline hostile with a very devoted few regulars and I probably would have spent more time on Palgn if it weren't for GAF/AusGAF which provided all that I needed and more.

AusGAF really is a diamond in the rough. Even though there are common stripes (male teens to twentysomethings; cynical; downloads TV shows; atheist; doesn't play video games) there are some wildly different personalities and discussion is usually carried out respectfully. The one thing that annoys me is poorly written posts. A contributor, regardless of intelligence, will always look rushed and foolish if they've posted up some kneejerk response with shoddy/absent grammar. Rez (one of my favourite posters) is guilty of this. So is Choc. I will happily take a post that I fundamentally disagree with if it is at least articulated well over something that might be in parallel with my politics but was vomited out without a token level of self-editing. Example: legend166 is a conservative christian (I can absolutely guarantee you that I am neither) but I always have time for whatever he posts.

+1 for this. I actually enjoy and look forward to coming into AusGAF each day and reading up on what is going on. I take the time to read through what everyone has to say because it is usually fairly interesting, especially with all of the different personalities in here.

Won't name names but there are a few people in here who i can't help but read their posts (which may sound dumb) but always expect something exciting or informative from them.

ShyGuy

Hi guys! I'd thought I'd throw out a serious question here to get some info as part of my own research.

I'm looking into getting more personal insurance, Death, TPD, Insurance Protection etc.

Currently I have my normal superannuation and NIB health insurance.

What do you guys have? How did you get it? (e.g. through your Super, or separately)

What made you choose your various insurances, etc...

Looking for some opinions myself as I'm leaning towards simply adding Death/TPD/Insurance Protection to my Super because it's cheaper....

Top Bottom