• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Choc

Banned
i coulda told you guys of that storm. was playing flight simulator x before with real world weather flying a B737 from Melbourne to Sydney and flew through it

Bumpy ride indeed.

Kerrby

Banned
DeathJr said:
Where the hell do you live? Storm passed away an hour ago...

Okay can 100% confirm the storm is still going.

The thunder just shook my entire house, felt like my door was going to fall off. I think I'm blind from the lightning flash as well.

Choc

Banned
oh tony abbott

told JG that if she adds a few clauses and information to the bill for refugees he will support it

she adds it, he says no and THEN goes on tv and says its shit blah blah blah

:|

totally immature politics. he clearly did that on purpose to make her look like a dick. But she gave him the chance to do it....

Kerrby said:
Okay can 100% confirm the storm is still going.

The thunder just shook my entire house, felt like my door was going to fall off. I think I'm blind from the lightning flash as well.

Wow, you do scare easy. Best time to watch a horror movie, with surround sound and lights off....that is IF you're man enough.

Jintor

Choc said:
oh tony abbott

told JG that if she adds a few clauses and information to the bill for refugees he will support it

totally immature politics. he clearly did that on purpose to make her look like a dick. But she gave him the chance to do it....

I don't understand. She compromised, and then Abbott goes on TV and bitches about it, and she somehow ends up looking like a dick?

Is it just because Abbott doesn't disclose that she compromised with his bullshit?

hamchan

Choc said:
oh tony abbott

He's the opposition leader. Why would he ever agree with her draft amendments when he can just prolong her suffering as she continues to look worse and worse as her party implodes around her? Seems like a smart move from him and a dumb move from Gillard imo.

jambo

Some pics and another video. Everyone was asleep so this one is silent, I'll probably do another one in the morning.

LEGO Super Star Destroyer 10221 - Build update

Build gallery

qLinTh.jpg

00gYhh.jpg

bkdeFh.jpg

fC87Yh.jpg

2jzL4h.jpg

awHEWh.jpg

lVVJQh.jpg

9C50Eh.jpg

pu8nph.jpg

The technic stuff was incredibly time consuming, but it's made the thing damn sturdy!

Ningo said:
1. Yes

2. Ningo1987, also is my gamertag

3. nope

4. Port Adelaide AFL/SANFL, Adelaide united, Queensland REDS, Redbacks

5. Well I guess most will say being from adelaide, supporting port adelaide

6. not sure about the question, but the only ithing I have is an ipod

7. never heard of them, but farmer's union iced coffee is fantastic (fun fact, adelaide is the only place where coke is sold that it is not the number one non-alcoholic beverage, farmer's union iced coffee is)

We should be friends.

Deeku

DeathJr said:
Hey, I'm a master of business administration with major in accounting. Exactly the same course and subjects, apart from extra ethics units I had to do. The job scene sucks though...high demand for accountants but no one is hiring. :(
Are your marks any good? You really shouldn't have any problem finding a job with a mba.

hamchan

Accounting + MBA should mean no problems getting jobs unless your WAM was only like a pass level or something terrible like that.

hamchan said:
He's the opposition leader. Why would he ever agree with her draft amendments when he can just prolong her suffering as she continues to look worse and worse as her party implodes around her? Seems like a smart move from him and a dumb move from Gillard imo.
As our elected representatives I would like them to have our best interests at heart rather than just trying to screw the other party all the time. Although since no one seems to give a shit about climate change, health over profits or refugees maybe they are the leaders we deserve.

Sutton Dagger said:
I wasn't going to get it straight away but $69 for Gears 3 is a decent local price, going to pick it up soon. Anyone else getting Gears?

Yea ordered from ozgameshop, hoping for arrival this friday.
Add MarshmellowSFN to live Sutton, will be keen for some hordes/co-op

Agyar

Going to grab Gears this morning and dive into the multiplayer, which I never touched beyond a bit of Horde in 2. Looking for work at the moment, so I figure I can play it and Deus Ex at the same time. Video games, all the time.

If anyone wants to play, add me on XBL and yell out (gamertag is "agyar too").

Agyar

hamchan said:

It might be "smart" if assessed against the Oppositions game play during this term but that behaviour continues to be damaging to Australian politics on the whole. The winner-takes-all-brawl between Labor and the Coalition have moved completely beyond policy and exist entirely to support itself and it does no favour to the community affected by the policies that get trampled underfoot. If the Opposition truly supported human rights and the fair and humane treatment of refugees, they would oppose the changes outright. Anything else is unjustifiable party politics with no further goal than to be elected for the next term by the minority of the population who are swayed by such antics.

NB: I'm sure nobody would interpret this as me believing Abbott should support the changes to the Immigration Act. I think the proposal is abhorrent and probably the worst change ever put forward by the current government.

Definitely getting Gears 3. I'll have to renew my Gold subscription, I decided to cancel my credit card a while ago (it was actually an amazing decision, I'm really glad I did), but an unforeseen consequence of that was my live ran out. For Gears I'm getting it back.

Gamertag is FallbackPants.

elfinke

Yeah Gears3 will be my first locally bought game in some time (and I think my last ever xboxen game unless Forza swings me around). I thoroughly enjoyed the single player of both 1 and 2 and am hoping they end the series well (and without DLC storyline components).

Also horde 2.0 looks amazing.

legend166 said:
There aren't grad positions you could apply for? They don't care about experience.
I graduated about 6 months ago. Now when I apply for grad jobs, they tell me I need to be on my final year of study. When I apply for full time jobs, they tell me I don't have experience. What do I do?

I wanted to do CPA as well, but that's no good unless I have some work ex.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Logitech Harmony 650 remote control + PS3 adapter logitech-harmony-650-adapater $0.00 Ordered: 2
Canceled: 2

BOOOOOOO

Agyar

Gears 3 acquired. Girl at JB threw the preorder DLC skin cards in even though I didn't preorder. Can't argue with that.

senahorse

DeathJr said:
I graduated about 6 months ago. Now when I apply for grad jobs, they tell me I need to be on my final year of study. When I apply for full time jobs, they tell me I don't have experience. What do I do?

Keep applying, a lot of employers that take on grads usually do so up until 18 months after completing study.

DeathJr said:

I've got a few mates (mostly lawyers, not accountants admittedly) who took some time off after graduating and still got grad positions.
Maybe try and get a job in the industry, but not at one of the big tier firms? When I went for this job I was told there were a heap of applications of people who applied who had been working at coffee shops and the like. Half the reason I got the job is I was willing to go and take a job for a while in industry, but out of a major centre. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have to move to a country town to get a job with an MBA, but getting a job with a smaller company, even as a stepping stone can only help

legend166

DeathJr said:

How many grad jobs have you applied to? Most of the ones I looked at didn't care if you were out of uni for six months.

What city are you in?

http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?Da...uick&Keywords=accounting+graduate&nation=3000

Mate, that is exactly what I'm looking for. I don't mind moving to the desert or even the bush lands for that matter. All I want is a start...

I think what I'm doing wrong is applying on the recruiting firms like hays, etc and not trying on seek.

Gazunta

Yeah recruiters can put themselves in a sack and throw themselves off a bridge for all I care.

One recruiter interview I had, the recruiter spent ten minutes telling me how I'm not suited to the job I applied for, but wanted me to come in because I might be useful for something else, and then spent another ten minutes telling me how strange it was that a woman "as cute as (she) is" ended up in recruiting. HATE HATE HATE.

I found the job I'm at now at Seek. Actually to be more accurate the wife found it. Couldn't believe it.

Choc

Banned
death jr go to www.applydirect.com.au

also

sometimes having an mba and accounting degree can be a problem. You need to look at it from the employers perspective. If you are awesome and have all this stuff then you might get looked over as they know you won't hang around long

I was taught this @ a management course a few weeks ago that I attended. If someone seems like they won't hang around because they have to many credentials for the job, don't hire them. It's bananas but it does unfortunately make business sense. You want to train to retain, not train to lose.

so if you have to leave something off the resume to get a foot in the door, do so. It's illegal to falsify a resume, its not illegal to leave stuff off.

Agyar

Gazunta said:
Yeah recruiters can put themselves in a sack and throw themselves off a bridge for all I care.

One recruiter interview I had, the recruiter spent ten minutes telling me how I'm not suited to the job I applied for, but wanted me to come in because I might be useful for something else, and then spent another ten minutes telling me how strange it was that a woman "as cute as (she) is" ended up in recruiting. HATE HATE HATE.

I found the job I'm at now at Seek. Actually to be more accurate the wife found it. Couldn't believe it.

Recruiters are indeed difficult to deal with. I'm looking for contract work at the moment, which means almost exclusively dealing with recruiters. All the jobs advertised through Seek etc are through recruiters on behalf of the employers and in most cases, the jobs never even hit Seek if the recruiters already have somebody on hand for the position.

I've been dicked over at least once already for a position by a recruiter and I'm getting sick of dealing with them but the my experience and need for a short term engagement leave me little option.

Omikron

legend166 said:
Definitely no need to use a recruiter for a grad job. Just apply, apply, apply.

This. Even if the position is 'under' what you believe you should be doing, you gotta start somewhere and if you are any good at what you do, you will quickly be noticed.

HolyCheck

Checks Internet update #4597

Service with Internode has been Terminated, Optus are telling them I don't exist

No idea what the heck is going on.

Sitting here waiting for Internode to call me after their technician came out today and I was told I wouldn't need to be home, the tech's just had a big talk to me about it saying I did, but how crap the whole thing is and he's calling in his report now so Internode should call me soon

I have no idea what's going on.

Agyar

Choc said:
death jr go to www.applydirect.com.au

also

sometimes having an mba and accounting degree can be a problem. You need to look at it from the employers perspective. If you are awesome and have all this stuff then you might get looked over as they know you won't hang around long

I was taught this @ a management course a few weeks ago that I attended. If someone seems like they won't hang around because they have to many credentials for the job, don't hire them. It's bananas but it does unfortunately make business sense. You want to train to retain, not train to lose.

so if you have to leave something off the resume to get a foot in the door, do so. It's illegal to falsify a resume, its not illegal to leave stuff off.

This seems like a stupid way of looking at the scenario. If someone is clearly over-experienced for a position, it doesn't take a genius to know they're unsuitable. But if the issue is just some extensive qualifications like two degrees, that's hardly going to be the reason they leave. The employee will leave because one or more of their needs are not being met and you need a deeper understanding of what those needs are and how they align with the position you're hiring for. Perhaps someone with multiple qualifications needs a challenging role that pushes them and if you're not offering that, your mistake was hiring them into a role that's not fulfilling to that need, not that they had "too many credentials".

Deeku

DeathJr said:
Yeah, got a couple of HD's and mostly Distinctions. Problem is, I don't have any work experience in the same field.
Errr, do you know how many people out there would love to be in your position? You must be doing something really wrong if you can't get a corporate job with those credentials.

With the graduation thing, don't worry about that. You can usually still apply up to a year or two after graduation.

Did you apply to any of the big4 accounting firms? You would get in easy. I think some a doing rolling recruitments so go check in out NOW and apply.

Like legend said, you don't need a recruiter. Just spam your resume to everything and something will come good. Hell, you should be flooded with offers if you really are a D/HD student.

HolyCheck

evlcookie said:
Cancel your node and go with someone else holy to see what happens.

Nothing will happen

Node have been amazing the entire time, it's basically Optus and Telstra don't want to own up to it being their fault.

DeathJr said:
Mate, that is exactly what I'm looking for. I don't mind moving to the desert or even the bush lands for that matter. All I want is a start...

I think what I'm doing wrong is applying on the recruiting firms like hays, etc and not trying on seek.

Doing people's tax returns in a shopping centre?

Top Bottom