• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Choc

Banned
Agyar said:
This seems like a stupid way of looking at the scenario. If someone is clearly over-experienced for a position, it doesn't take a genius to know they're unsuitable. But if the issue is just some extensive qualifications like two degrees, that's hardly going to be the reason they leave. The employee will leave because one or more of their needs are not being met and you need a deeper understanding of what those needs are and how they align with the position you're hiring for. Perhaps someone with multiple qualifications needs a challenging role that pushes them and if you're not offering that, your mistake was hiring them into a role that's not fulfilling to that need, not that they had "too many credentials".

agyar, i happen to completely agree that its dumb but I can tell you its what managers are being trained in by so called HR experts.

just telling you how it is. I don't agree with it and will not use that, but managers are being told this.

but in some ways the section i bolded makes you agree with the HR consultant. You are saying the person is not right for the job because they need a challenging role. So you are backing up what they are saying, if the person seems over qualified, don't go for them.

You are saying its your mistake fo rhiring them into a role which does not fulfill there needs. Well yes, exactly what the HR consultant/experts are saying.

hamchan

commanderdeek said:
Errr, do you know how many people out there would love to be in your position? You must be doing something really wrong if you can't get a corporate job with those credentials.

With the graduation thing, don't worry about that. You can usually still apply up to a year or two after graduation.

Did you apply to any of the big4 accounting firms? You would get in easy. I think some a doing rolling recruitments so go check in out NOW and apply.

Like legend said, you don't need a recruiter. Just spam your resume to everything and something will come good. Hell, you should be flooded with offers if you really are a D/HD student.

Yeah something is up here if a D to HD accounting major can't get a job; seems a bit weird to be honest.

Choc

Banned
hamchan said:
Yeah something is up here if a D to HD accounting major can't get a job; seems a bit weird to be honest.

its called the economy, stupid (as the saying goes)

no one is hiring right now, no one. Economy is fuxored, except mining.

Deeku

Choc said:
its called the economy, stupid (as the saying goes)

no one is hiring right now, no one. Economy is fuxored, except mining.
Err no.

Do you know how many people big4 accounting firms hire each year for grads. Shitloads.

If have a d/hd average, you're basically in unless you can't communicate with people.

Choc

Banned
commanderdeek said:
Err no.

Do you know how many people big4 accounting firms hire each year for grads. Shitloads.

If have a d/hd average, you're basically in unless you can't communicate with people.

I know deek but remember in 2008 when the GFC hit, the big 4 were PAYING graduates to not come and work for them as the downturn hit hard

i assume they learnt their lesson and have cut right back on recruitment since then.

Also from what i hear working for the big 4 and clayton utz etc is a painful experience. Just read www.firmspy.com to see the deets.

VKS: that would be economists ;) and they are as good as you can throw them after the gfc. Economists are useless.

Deeku

DeathJr said:
Appreciate the advise guys. I'm stupid, thinking employers would look for me when I should be looking for them.

If and when I do get a job, the party is on me. :)
Yeah, i thought that might have been the problem.

Sign up to this site called graduateconnection. It will alert you of all the grad positions available at the moment. Then just apply the shit out of everything. Do some research on SHL tests and practice behavioural interview questions, and you're ready to get a good grad job.

dilemma-
I picked up gears at Kmart- $69 price apparently Australia's best keep secret according the guy who worked there.

but my SW blurays also turned up.

i nearly bought a dyson fan today but since I want decent two tower fans, i'll get a pair of delonghi's

Deeku

Choc said:
I know deek but remember in 2008 when the GFC hit, the big 4 were PAYING graduates to not come and work for them as the downturn hit hard

i assume they learnt their lesson and have cut right back on recruitment since then.

Also from what i hear working for the big 4 and clayton utz etc is a painful experience. Just read www.firmspy.com to see the deets.

VKS: that would be economists ;) and they are as good as you can throw them after the gfc. Economists are useless.
lol choc why do you read firmspy when you're not a lawyer....or are you?

Big4 are still hiring like crazy, they need newbs to do the crappy work. Most IB's have cut grad jobs, but they will still hire you if you're a d/hd superstar. The only people affected by grad position cuts are average credit students since they're are soooo many out there and competition is FIERCE!

Agyar

Choc said:
but in some ways the section i bolded makes you agree with the HR consultant. You are saying the person is not right for the job because they need a challenging role. So you are backing up what they are saying, if the person seems over qualified, don't go for them.

You are saying its your mistake fo rhiring them into a role which does not fulfill there needs. Well yes, exactly what the HR consultant/experts are saying.

This is not correct. The fallacy you're suggesting here is that every person with extensive qualifications requires an exclusively challenging role. My point is that perhaps this is the case but you cannot be certain based only on their resume and to do so would be complete speculation. Because of this, you need to address the need for a challenging role, not the number of qualifications. People have varying needs qualifications are just one indicator as to their personality and those needs. The mistake these HR consultants make is to take one potential scenario, over-simplify it with a number of assumptions and apply it across the board as a reality.

Choc

Banned
Agyar said:
This is not correct. The fallacy you're suggesting here is that every person with extensive qualifications requires an exclusively challenging role. My point is that perhaps this is the case but you cannot be certain based only on their resume and to do so would be complete speculation. Because of this, you need to address the need for a challenging role, not the number of qualifications. People have varying needs qualifications are just one indicator as to their personality and those needs. The mistake these HR consultants make is to take one potential scenario, over-simplify it with a number of assumptions and apply it across the board as a reality.

correct

commanderdeek said:
Yeah, i thought that might have been the problem.

Sign up to this site called graduateconnection. It will alert you of all the grad positions available at the moment. Then just apply the shit out of everything. Do some research on SHL tests and practice behavioural interview questions, and you're ready to get a good grad job.
I've been with grad connection for 6 months. All they have are internships for students in their final year of study. They always refuse my application because I've passed out.

DeathJr said:
I've been with grad connection for 6 months. All they have are internships for students in their final year of study. They always refuse my application because I've passed out.
I'd refuse someone's application if they spent the whole interview passed out too.

Jintor

Damn you people and your knowing things

I was looking on OzBargains early this morning and saw a 0 + $10 shipping on these $249 shoes from Paul's Warehouse. An obvious case of mistaken pricing, but the comments thread was great, bunch of contract lawyers/students applying knowledge. Made me happy I knew what they were talking about.

Firmspy looks useful! At the least I'll get some info about working conditions in Australia, even if I probably won't have to utilise it for a few years.

Deeku

DeathJr said:
You should be applying for graduate programs, not internships. Did you filter the results properly? I used them last year and it was fine. But they probably only have interships now because most grad programs finished recruiting in April. For now, I would suggest going directly to accounting firm sites (if accounting is what you want to do) and check their career section to see if they are still hiring. If not, you can try the same firms, but in other countries (like Singapore, Hongkong), or you wait until early next year and actually apply properly.

Also, did you go to any career fair at uni? No offence, but it boggles the mind that someone that's performed so well at uni has seemingly no clue about how all this stuff works.

Agyar

Jintor said:
Damn you people and your knowing things

I was looking on OzBargains early this morning and saw a 0 + $10 shipping on these $249 shoes from Paul's Warehouse. An obvious case of mistaken pricing, but the comments thread was great, bunch of contract lawyers/students applying knowledge. Made me happy I knew what they were talking about.

Firmspy looks useful! At the least I'll get some info about working conditions in Australia, even if I probably won't have to utilise it for a few years.
Everyone on Ozbargain is a contract lawyer, because they can search AustLII.

legend166

A search on seek for "accounting graduate" gave 942 results in Australia. Just apply for everything that is anywhere near you. What else is there to discuss?

Get This fans, don't forget to tune in to channel 9 tonight at about 9pm, see Ed and Tony for what will probably be the only episode of their new show that goes to air.

713936-rex-hunt.jpg

"This is dizzy stuff, folks!"

commanderdeek said:
You should be applying for graduate programs, not internships. Did you filter the results properly? I used them last year and it was fine. But they probably only have interships now because most grad programs finished recruiting in April. For now, I would suggest going directly to accounting firm sites (if accounting is what you want to do) and check their career section to see if they are still hiring. If not, you can try the same firms, but in other countries (like Singapore, Hongkong), or you wait until early next year and actually apply properly.

Also, did you go to any career fair at uni? No offence, but it boggles the mind that someone that's performed so well at uni has seemingly no clue about how all this stuff works.
Hmm, good point. Why am I so stupid?

I did attend career fairs at uni, and also the one at the melbourne exhibition center. Everyone just told me to apply when I graduate and I'll get work easily since accounting is in high demand.

I've been really lazy this year.

Deeku

DeathJr said:
Hmm, good point. Why am I so stupid?

I did attend career fairs at uni, and also the one at the melbourne exhibition center. Everyone just told me to apply when I graduate and I'll get work easily since accounting is in high demand.

I've been really lazy this year.
Yeah, DON'T be lazy about it. Find out what career you want, do the research and apply accordingly. The person that told you to apply when you graduate was completely wrong too since you're supposed to apply early into your last year so you get a job straight after you finish uni.

Just be more proactive from now man. And hang around in the graduate program section of whirlpool forums. I got A LOT of info from lurking there.

The wife of one of my work mates just sent this to him, looking out from their house. That's his yard they are digging up. He has no idea who they are or what they are doing (apart from sleeping, of course)

2s0e3js.jpg

Cohsae

They seem to be napping.
Call this an unfair generalisation if you must, but council workers are just the most useless cunts. You'll see one guy using a whipper-snipper or something while there's 3 other dickheads asleep in the truck.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Cohsae said:
They seem to be napping.
Call this an unfair generalisation if you must, but council workers are just the most useless cunts. You'll see one guy using a whipper-snipper or something while there's 3 other dickheads asleep in the truck.

I actually had an amazing experience recently. I'm going to assume they were private contractors but it was incredible.

My road is about 1km long, out in the hills of adelaide.

drive home around 6pm see about a dozen construction workers, 2 or 3 digger machines + many trucks full of bitchamun? SP who cares. arriving / not having started yet

Wake up the next day 50% of the road completly remade. perfect condition, all finished up to a specific point in the road.

It was amazing.

Choc

Banned
BanShunsaku said:
The wife of one of my work mates just sent this to him, looking out from their house. That's his yard they are digging up. He has no idea who they are or what they are doing (apart from sleeping, of course)

2s0e3js.jpg

has she gone out and asked what they are doing?

they don't loko like council workers

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Actually, that reminds me, did Bern Mentions NeoGAF on National TV air yet?

I believe it's on tonight.

What's this about Ed and Tony with a tv show? The joy of sets seems to be the name.

Damn my tv tuner card isn't plugged in. fuck!

Fredescu

BanShunsaku said:
Do they have an easement on their block? They could be part of the main sewer line. If there's a blockage somewhere, they might have to dig your friends shit up to check. I have no idea what the convention is when you're digging up an easement as far as contacting the residents, but they don't need "permission" as such to do it. You already gave permission when you bought land with an easement.

hamchan

BanShunsaku said:
So I'm going to join a gym this afternoon.

What am I doing

Well it's worth it if you actually go instead of the majority of people who sign a 1 year contract, go for a month, then never go again!!

Cohsae said:
They seem to be napping.
Most are like this I agree. One of the roads here in Warrnambool has had about 15 workers on it around the clock and it still looks like a pile of gravel after 8 days. Don't get me started on garbage men though. Don't get me started!

commanderdeek said:
Err no.
I failed a lot of accounting units and ended up dropping my accounting major as I hated it and STILL had 2 offers for jobs. They were up in Mildura but still, they basically told me if I picked up the units again I could have a job. Even though my GPA(sic?) was shot. Horrible work though. Couldn't put myself through years of that.

BanShunsaku said:
Something to do with gas, apparently.
Generally I just leave the room and the problem fixes itself within 30 seconds or so. Worst is when it happens under the doona in bed. Especially after Peri Peri chicken.

ClivePwned said:
dilemma-
I picked up gears at Kmart- $69 price apparently Australia's best keep secret according the guy who worked there.
Really? They have been advertising it for about 2 weeks now. That guy must not look on their website or their catalogues.

Gazunta said:
Yeah recruiters can put themselves in a sack and throw themselves off a bridge for all I care.
Agreed. Another useless middleman for lazy people on both sides of the process. Even cold calling would be more worth while. If even I can get a full time job then no one has an excuse. Aside from people with medical reasons of course.

evlcookie said:
You suck it up and get a job at a warehouse. That's what i did!
My life, exciting.
I really have been missing working in the ole warehouse back at Deakin. Such an easy life, if only it was full time I never would have left. Maybe I will retire back to it like everyone else did.

Sutton Dagger said:
I wasn't going to get it straight away but $69 for Gears 3 is a decent local price, going to pick it up soon. Anyone else getting Gears?
Will buy depending on trade in value at eb. Someone on EcoGamer said it was only $40 which would be a pass for me.

jambo

reptilescorpio said:
Most are like this I agree. One of the roads here in Warrnambool has had about 15 workers on it around the clock and it still looks like a pile of gravel after 8 days. Don't get me started on garbage men though. Don't get me started!

So, what does everyone think of garbage men?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
jambo said:
So, what does everyone think of garbage men?

They do an outstanding job of picking up my bags of tissues.

Also i wish i had money on me. I could go something warm for lunch, Bag of chips, Even though bad would be outstanding.

Choc said:
better not be fuckwits first

look for jetts or something like that

no contracts and open 24/7

Yeh it is the Jetts near my work.

I honestly don't think I am going to have any trouble sticking to it, I will be going before work of a morning and I'm a creature of habit so once I do it for a few days it will just be part of my routine.

Having said that I'm no muscle bound freak, I'll just be going for the bikes and treadmills.

Also, I've never even been inside a gym before. As someone of a naturally shy and nervous nature, it should be an eye opener.

Deeku

reptilescorpio said:
I failed a lot of accounting units and ended up dropping my accounting major as I hated it and STILL had 2 offers for jobs. They were up in Mildura but still, they basically told me if I picked up the units again I could have a job. Even though my GPA(sic?) was shot. Horrible work though. Couldn't put myself through years of that.
Yeah exactly. That's why I couldn't believe deathjr couldn't find an accounting job. Clearly, he needs to try harder.

Garbage men used to be cool when it was a truck and 2 guys hanging at the back and picking up the bins. Now it's just one dude with a mechanical arm thing that leaves all the bins in the middle of the street after they are emptied:/

Top Bottom