• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Choc

Banned
twenty 20 is like a one night stand

sure its fun and fast, but you never feel left fulfilled

test cricket is like a long term relationship, it can be slow and boring at times, but in the end the reward is there

50 over cricket is a short term relationship, a bit longer, a bit more action but in the end its over before it starts.

midonnay

DeathJr said:
Can't be bothered with 5 day long test matches anymore. 20-20 is short and sweet. One day games are now just longer T20 games.

So AusGaf does not like T20?

nah, its just cool to like test cricket.... its the traditionalist way :p

I like all forms

Yagharek

I'm going to reiterate what I said last summer:

Test cricket should be the purest form of the game. No snickometer. No hotspot. No referrals. No third umpire. Leave it purely down to a matter of the batsman's word, the fielder's word, and the umpire's eyes and ears.

Then put all that tech in the ODI/T20 forms of the game.

Same as with football/soccer - there are always going to be shocking decisions, but in the end the game is better because it is simpler, and luck remains enough to turn a game if one side can capitalise on it. There would be massive controversies from time to time, but in the end the best team almost always wins.

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:

Test cricket should be the purest form of the game. No snickometer. No hotspot. No referrals. No third umpire. Leave it purely down to a matter of the batsman's word, the fielder's word, and the umpire's eyes and ears.

Same as with football/soccer - there are always going to be shocking decisions, but in the end the game is better because it is simpler, and luck remains enough to turn a game if one side can capitalise on it. There would be massive controversies from time to time, but in the end the best team almost always wins.

FIFA's reasoning for not having technology is actually quite admirable

'We want the rules of the game to be exactly the same from the park level through to the world cup final. It's one of the reasons that makes football the game it is'

You might argue that is the same in rugby and rugby league etc but yeah like a park game has a TMO.... (Third match official watching video)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Fusebox said:
Not if Fear of a Blank is their metal'est album, it's way too middle of the road for me, although it is my own fault for not taking your 'penchant for pop' comment seriously.

Check out that Cynic album and tell me what you think though.

Porcupine Tree is not very metal at all. It's more prog rock but more on the softer side i guess.

Still some great songs / feelings / albums in there.

Agalloch - Marrow of the spirit is probably one of my favourite albums of the past 12 months. It's doom / black metal so there's no real clean vocals but the atmosphere the album creates is just outstanding.

Yagharek

Choc said:

'We want the rules of the game to be exactly the same from the park level through to the world cup final. It's one of the reasons that makes football the game it is'

You might argue that is the same in rugby and rugby league etc but yeah like a park game has a TMO.... (Third match official watching video)

Fifa are corrupt fuckwits, but their refusal to make big changes to the game is their best policy. The game is what it is due to simplicity, and from that simplicity comes the potential for amazing skill. Same as chess.

Dead Man

RandomVince said:

I like you.

Fredescu

Technology in soccer would ruin the flow of the game. Rugby and Cricket are start stop so it doesn't affect them as much.

Personally I think League should do away with grounding being a requirement. It's so shit that when someone scores, you can't tell. It's like this huge pause, did he score, or didn't he? When it should be celebration. It takes the excitment away, especially live.

Fusebox

Banned
evlcookie said:
Agalloch - Marrow of the spirit is probably one of my favourite albums of the past 12 months.

They don't have Marrow up on Spotify but I'm listening to Ashes Against the Grain right now and it's great so far.

Choc

Banned
Fredescu said:
Technology in soccer would ruin the flow of the game. Rugby and Cricket are start stop so it doesn't affect them as much.

Personally I think League should do away with grounding being a requirement. It's so shit that when someone scores, you can't tell. It's like this huge pause, did he score, or didn't he? When it should be celebration. It takes the excitment away, especially live.

there are two sections i can see tech getting into FB without breaking it

a chip in the ball to determine if it fully passed the line and only going to video on offsides when a goal is scored. but they fixed this in the UEFA cup by having an official at each goal purely looking at the line when the ball gets close

this could be replicated at local park level with minimal costs, hence it aligns with FIFAs viewpoints.

Also, before someone comes in and says but referees wear radio packs @ national level now, yes we do but we are not allowed to use it in any other way than we previously would have communicated with a referee. Its' basically to stop us having to put our flag up to our chest to get the ref to come over and say the same thing.

So if #9 punches #4 in backplay we can tell the ref (or i can hear it in my ear straight away) from the AR's and deal with it before it gets nuts. Before, teh AR would put the flag up wait for ref to spot and then ref goes over has a chat and sends #9 off. So it has not changed with radio packs.

however, that ruins players running about like crazy celebrating like fred said.

Also, i can tell you (and it drives me up the fucking wall as a referee when commentators say he was offside blah blah) that a player which looks offside from the televisioon camera angle, from side can easily be onside.

the only way they are going to show offside decisions properly for an AR decision is to have a camera running directly behind the AR viewpoint and do it based on that. The angle from the top of the buildings in the stadiums are misleading beyond belief.

Fredescu

Choc said:
Also, i can tell you (and it drives me up the fucking wall as a referee when commentators say he was offside blah blah) that a player which looks offside from the televisioon camera angle, from side can easily be onside.

the only way they are going to show offside decisions properly for an AR decision is to have a camera running directly behind the AR viewpoint and do it based on that. The angle from the top of the buildings in the stadiums are misleading beyond belief.
Which is why the video ref isn't allowed to rule on a forward pass in league.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Fusebox said:
They don't have Marrow up on Spotify but I'm listening to Ashes Against the Grain right now and it's great so far.

I think it might be very different to ashes against the grain.

Marrow is totally a conceptual story driven album, each song folds into the next. Like traced in air but a lot more heavy and with some forresty sounds :D

The entire thing is on grooveshark. Although i have no idea what grooveshark really is or spotify!

Yagharek

Choc said:
there are two sections i can see tech getting into FB without breaking it

a chip in the ball to determine if it fully passed the line and only going to video on offsides when a goal is scored

however, that ruins players running about like crazy celebrating like fred said.

One of the best bits about watching EPL is seeing goals scored from offside, then you rage at the tv and so do the commentators, then the replay shows the linesman was spot on, by about 5mm.

Fusebox

Banned
evlcookie said:
I
Marrow is totally a conceptual story driven album, each song folds into the next. Like traced in air but a lot more heavy and with some forresty sounds :D

The entire thing is on grooveshark. Although i have no idea what grooveshark really is or spotify!

Heavier than Traced by with forresty sounds? Oh I am set on tracking this album doooown..

Heritage just landed on Spotify too! Was wondering when that would hit, stoked...

Choc said:

I'm going to have to disagree here.

I know it comes up every time this debate occurs, but this shit shouldn't happen in the biggest sporting event in the world - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRsgzYKtmj8

I understand the logic behind not wanting the game different, but it when you've got millions of people hanging off your every call, the refs have to get it right.

I've played schoolboys league and park grade union and you don't expect the kind of officiating the requires a video ref. Hell in one of the comps I played we negotiated the rules before the game.

But I think there is naturally an expected difference in quality between professional, even contract run, competitions and comps we're people are playing for the love it it. As soon as people's livelihood is at risk you have to do everything you can to get the call right.

Shaneus

For the first time in a while, I'm actually looking forward to going home and smashing out some PC gaming goodness. Thanks to my awesome technical prowess, I've solved all of my video card issues and can play Blur and NFS:HP flawlessly.

I'm like the Neo of fixing shit on my own PC.

Choc

Banned
FallbackPants said:
I'm going to have to disagree here.

I know it comes up every time this debate occurs, but this shit shouldn't happen in the biggest sporting event in the world - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRsgzYKtmj8

I understand the logic behind not wanting the game different, but it when you've got millions of people hanging off your every call, the refs have to get it right.

I've played schoolboys league and park grade union and you don't expect the kind of officiating the requires a video ref. Hell in one of the comps I played we negotiated the rules before the game.

But I think there is naturally an expected difference in quality between professional, even contract run, competitions and comps we're people are playing for the love it it. As soon as people's livelihood is at risk you have to do everything you can to get the call right.

its the human element that makes football what it is, there is no denying it and its why people love it so much.

How is lampards livelihood at risk by that goal not going in? (or rather going in and not counted)?

You take it away (and people dont realise it yet) but it would somewhat lessen the way people feel about the sport.

for example i don't think fans who remember the NRL pre video ref, like it as much as pre video ref....

the video ref is way overused in the NRL. i mean its f'ing obvious its a try and they still use it

change the rules. Make it like the NFL. If you want to challenge whether something was a try or not, you have the ability to do so. If you get it wrong, you lose a sub.

Don't make it that the referee can not have the balls to make any decisions @ all and get paid to do it.

The fact is, proper sport SHOULD be (in a perfect world) the same from the bottom to the top

There is no specific rules in any sport (aside from doping and a few rule changes for pre season comps) that differ specifically for the professional versions of sports.

it would be dumb to do so.

For example the ELV's of Rugby, were implemented at park level when they were around. Why? because it makes sense.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
RandomVince said:
NOVEMBER 20 FOR SKYWARD SWORD

:D

Nope.

It's the US date, it's the wrong format, the image has been copied from the US site and Nintendo never launch on a Sunday.

Salazar

I don't want video refs in football.

The clubs that whinge the loudest about potentially dodgy reffing are the ones for whom it matters, or really should matter, least - in terms of money and results.

I do want refs to start picking up on foul throws, though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
VOOK said:
Nope.

It's the US date, it's the wrong format, the image has been copied from the US site and Nintendo never launch on a Sunday.

Yeah, I was about to post this as news, and thought "Something isn't right...". My brain has been desensitised to yanky date formatting :(.

VOOK

EatChildren said:
Yeah, I was about to post this as news, and thought "Something isn't right...". My brain has been desensitised to yanky date formatting :(.

I may have something about the Zelda date tomorrow.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
VOOK said:
I may have something about the Zelda date tomorrow.

From the event last week I assume? Theo offered me a lift but I couldn't make it, so I'm heading out there tomorrow.

VOOK

EatChildren said:
From the event last week I assume? Theo offered me a lift but I couldn't make it, so I'm heading out there tomorrow.

Nope, something else. But should have impressions from the event soon too. :)

Ydahs

Any idea on how much the Zelda Wiimote bundle will cost?

I have the motion plus attachment, but I'm starting to think the added weight will put too much strain on my wrist if I play it for an extended period of time.

edit: ebgames has it at $118 D: Hopefully I'll be able to find it < $100, or else I'll have to import...

EatChildren

Ydahs said:
Any idea on how much the Zelda Wiimote bundle will cost?

I have the motion plus attachment, but I'm starting to think the added weight will put too much strain on my wrist if I play it for an extended period of time.

Local prices are TBA announced in most places. EB has it for over $100. I'll probably end up pre-ordering from my usual JB HiFi dude, but I hope it isn't too pricey. I'll be moving house around that time and seriously need to budget.

jambo

Ydahs said:

67KRC.jpg

Metal and prog discussion. A happy fappy!

Speaking of which, the new Opeth album just arrived in the mail. Let's see if this is worth it!

So far, very proggy.

A Presto Ballet album arrived too.

Ydahs

jambo said:
Since I shattered my wrist and had two metal plates inserted, some Wii games with lots of wrist flicking have caused discomfort. Considering I'll be playing this game a lot longer than those, anything to minimise the discomfort is a bonus.

Top Bottom