• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Ydahs said:
Let's get this thread back on track and talk about niche Japanese games played by true gamers.

Xenoblade might be the best game I have ever played. The story, the characters, the environments and the sense of exploration have been brilliant so far. Such an amazing world to explore which makes FFXII's world look small in comparison.

No game has been able to eclipse Chrono Cross since I played it ten years ago, but Xenoblade is coming awfully close.
Aarrrgh! Don't hype me for a game I won't have time to play! That's just mean >:-(

Choc

Banned
"News Ltd's" days are numbered. The local arm of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp will be rebranded "News Australia" from early next year, in part because "other people are defining our brand for us".

The change in name is scheduled for February, according to an internal marketing brief written last week and published by Crikey today, and will come after the publisher starts charging for access to its websites from November. The first to go behind some form of paywall will be The Australian.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/medi...-rebranding-20110921-1kkmg.html#ixzz1YYtV453M

haha paying to read the most biased piece of shit journalism in australia? no thanks.

Choc

Banned
Jintor said:
Are they paywalling content they were previously giving out for free though?

yes

Murdoch wants to paywall his entire empire

The Times UK is already pay walled (but because they have awesome EPL coverage and my wife is a brit we pay the money for it)

Anyhoo, so it turns out my wife and my weekend in Sydney will take place on the 7th to the 9th of October and we'll be staying near Darling Harbour, rather than the Rocks.

Could I get some schmancy restaurant recommendations for anywhere near Cockle Bay?

Jintor

's a bit odd. We had a lecture the other week from a journo who said once News Corp paywalled their... Telegraph app? News Ltd app? Usage plummeted.

SMH iPad App is free right? I don't use iDevices so I dunno. Tracey's still heading that up I think, or at least working on it.

Dead Man

Choc said:
so those on steam already know this, but a ton of wine was delivered to my house wrongly by aus post yesterday.

anyway i looked it up and the wine is worth about $2000 all up.

So i emailed the company that has the wine and told them yeah it got delivered wrong. they are like ok, cool contact customer service. No mention of thanks or thanks for getting in touch. Which i would have at least expected given the value of this wine.

so then i got a bit shitty

i emailed back and said why can't you forwad this on to them? i don't have time to sit on customer service lines when aus post fucked up. without the language of cousre and a bit nicer tone

So they are like, ok just leave it out the front and we'll get it.

No thanks for emailing, no thanks for leaving it out, no thanks for not being a dick and drinking it all.

Makes me wonder why I bothered doing the right thing to be honest. Customer Service fail in my opinion.

I don't expect a gold medal, but a thanks even in email form would be nice. A bottle would be even nicer but hey i don't expect that.

And companies wonder why we tell them Australia has the worst customer service in the world

Prime example. Bottles of wine delivered untraceable to an address worth quite a bit that would cost the company a bit of money had i just decided to drink it all. Instead i do the right thing, contact them and they are all matter of fact and not like oh thanks for that.

Fuck doing the right thing.
I had Bunnings deliver a patio heater to my house by mistake once. Called them twice, month later no one had come to get it, so I sold it. If companies are going to be shit, fuck them. The dude it was supposed to go to was only a street over too.

Dead Man

Choc said:
"News Ltd's" days are numbered. The local arm of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp will be rebranded "News Australia" from early next year, in part because "other people are defining our brand for us".

The change in name is scheduled for February, according to an internal marketing brief written last week and published by Crikey today, and will come after the publisher starts charging for access to its websites from November. The first to go behind some form of paywall will be The Australian.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/medi...-rebranding-20110921-1kkmg.html#ixzz1YYtV453M

haha paying to read the most biased piece of shit journalism in australia? no thanks.
LOL, as long as the BBC and ABC exist, I will not be (directly) paying for any news content.

Edit: Fuck, double post.

Jintor

Dead Man said:
I had Bunnings deliver a patio heater to my house by mistake once. Called them twice, month later no one had come to get it, so I sold it. If companies are going to be shit, fuck them. The dude it was supposed to go to was only a street over too.

...if you knew who it was supposed to go to, and they were only a street over, why didn't you go tell him?

Salazar

EatChildren said:
Also ignore lists are for pussies and weaklings.

I ignore people who say rude shit about Kpop and discernibly mean it.

No lie.

Also, the Australian going behind a paywall is a supreme overestimation of its cultural footprint.

Choc

Banned
Jintor said:
...if you knew who it was supposed to go to, and they were only a street over, why didn't you go tell him?

yeah i tried this but the address on the box actually does not exist lol :)

Dead Man

Jintor said:
Because I am not a very nice guy. And I called Bunnings twice and told them where it was and they said they would come get it.

Salazar said:

No lie.

Also, the Australian going behind a paywall is a supreme overestimation of its cultural footprint.
Speaking of k-pop, have you seen the Pop Asia show on SBS? Any good?

Choc said:
yes

Murdoch wants to paywall his entire empire

The Times UK is already pay walled (but because they have awesome EPL coverage and my wife is a brit we pay the money for it)

Why would you pay to go to the Australian's website when the ABC's is always going to be free? That is some ridiculous brand loyalty there.

How about work on increasing your circulation? That is, and will be for the foreseeable future, the bread and butter of newspaper income. Make your pay-to-access tablet and phone apps actually worthwhile. That has the potential to be the magic in between of paper and online that publishers have been waiting for.

And if you are determined to put something behind a paywall making it something you can't get anywhere else.

It's kind of sad the News Limited name is being killed off. Even though it is currently being ground into the dirt, there is a lot of history behind it.

Salazar said:

No lie.

It's a supreme overestimation of the value that any one media outlet provides in the digital age. Right or wrong, Twitter and Facebook have taken over functions that were previously the domain of the Reuters of the world.

Salazar

Dead Man said:
Speaking of k-pop, have you seen the Pop Asia show on SBS? Any good?

Not yet. Something strange has happened to me, through a combination of forces (lassitude, encroaching forms of marvellous streaming technology, a general bewilderment), whereby I am completely unable to commit to watching something on tv at a particular time and follow through on it.

Sport is the exception.

I imagine it's pretty good.

Deeku

Choc said:
so those on steam already know this, but a ton of wine was delivered to my house wrongly by aus post yesterday.

So i emailed the company that has the wine and told them yeah it got delivered wrong. they are like ok, cool contact customer service. No mention of thanks or thanks for getting in touch. Which i would have at least expected given the value of this wine.

i emailed back and said why can't you forwad this on to them? i don't have time to sit on customer service lines when aus post fucked up. without the language of cousre and a bit nicer tone

No thanks for emailing, no thanks for leaving it out, no thanks for not being a dick and drinking it all.

Makes me wonder why I bothered doing the right thing to be honest. Customer Service fail in my opinion.

I don't expect a gold medal, but a thanks even in email form would be nice. A bottle would be even nicer but hey i don't expect that.

And companies wonder why we tell them Australia has the worst customer service in the world

Prime example. Bottles of wine delivered untraceable to an address worth quite a bit that would cost the company a bit of money had i just decided to drink it all. Instead i do the right thing, contact them and they are all matter of fact and not like oh thanks for that.

So you only do the right things to get thanks and a pat on the back? Wtf man lol

What's wrong with just doing the right thing because it's the right thing?

My ex-housemate got a new iphone contract with optus. They shipped him 2 iphone4s and subsequently billed him twice as well.

He called up optus and lied that he only got one phone, and they believed him.

Also, another housemate works at crown metropol hotel as house keeping staff. He steals wine, champagne, bathrobes and what not from there.

This is why I hate Indians.

midonnay

Jintor said:
's a bit odd. We had a lecture the other week from a journo who said once News Corp paywalled their... Telegraph app? News Ltd app? Usage plummeted.

SMH iPad App is free right? I don't use iDevices so I dunno. Tracey's still heading that up I think, or at least working on it.

a similar tier of publication to the Australian, the Australian Financial Review has been paywalled for years and it only gets around 7000 digital subscribers

anyways the Oz is highly unprofitable..... it is a prestige murdoch broadsheet that attempts to influence the decision makers and sets the agenda for sister publications.

DeathJr said:
My ex-housemate got a new iphone contract with optus. They shipped him 2 iphone4s and subsequently billed him twice as well.

He called up optus and lied that he only got one phone, and they believed him.

Also, another housemate works at crown metropol hotel as house keeping staff. He steals wine, champagne, bathrobes and what not from there.

This is why I hate Indians.

Wow.

jambo

Choc said:

Sweet Raptor Jesus.

You don't do the right thing so you get thanked and rewarded, you do the right thing to do the right thing.

I think that's a lot of Asia actually. Have you ever been to Tokyo? The only black people are this creepy group of guys who try to lure girls to their back street stall. They grabbed my arm once :s If that's the only exposure they get, I'm not surprised.

DeathJr said:
I'm not being racist, I'm indian too.

So why do you hate Indian people?

Or is this a horrible rabbit hole that we just shouldn't approach.

AHHAHAHAHAH. Was that you?!!?

I remember in my first detention they put me in a corner next to the scissors box and I cut my hair. I was really bored!

shanshan310 said:
I think that's a lot of Asia actually. Have you ever been to Tokyo? The only black people are this creepy group of guys who try to lure girls to their back street stall. They grabbed my arm once :s If that's the only exposure they get, I'm not surprised.
I remember running into those guys in Shinjuku. They get in your face and ask you if you speak English. I mumbled something in Spanish and just kept on walking. Creepy.

Oh and Harajuku as well! They just looked so skeevy.

*squints* Stupid... URGH. Why is everything in the US so illogical.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I remember running into those guys in Shinjuku. They get in your face and ask you if you speak English. I mumbled something in Spanish and just kept on walking. Creepy.

Oh and Harajuku as well! They just looked so skeevy.

Times like those I wish I spoke some other European language as well. But nope, I'm learning Japanese and Korean - some of the only languages no one will ever mistake me for being a native speaker of :'(

Not that I mind.

Deeku

shanshan310 said:
*squints* Stupid... URGH.

Times like those I wish I spoke some other European language as well. But nope, I'm learning Japanese and Korean - some of the only languages no one will ever mistake me for being a native speaker of :'(

Not that I mind.
:eek:

I know a guy at uni that's doing this and I can't imagine how he copes. I know the grammar structures are similar (that's what he told me anyway) but still, with all the different characters for both languages, vocab etc, it sounds like a thing only crazy people would do.

Also, never been grabbed by black dudes in Tokyo lol

shanshan310 said:
AHHAHAHAHAH. Was that you?!!?

I remember in my first detention they put me in a corner next to the scissors box and I cut my hair. I was really bored!

Hahahaha, no it was not, im 22, bit old for school :p

markot

Banned
Is it me or are Japanese restaurants in Australia always run by not Japanese people, mostly Korean?!

Itd be like going to an Italian restaurant and getting some Frenchie people there!

Top Bottom