• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGaf |Early 2016 Election| - the government's term has been... Shortened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

If you had to wait longer than normal this year, there was an 8% cut in polling places despite expecting a similar number of voters as last time. But efficiency, right?

Yagharek

Their economic plans are also terrible for long-term prospects. Outside a carbon tax their policies are a marked degradation of the status quo.

With respect, ignoring climate change impacts and continuing to foster financial inequality is an even worse economic strategy.

Ignoring the former will cost billions if not trillions of dollars globally. Continuing the second will degrade social conditions and lead us to a US style impasse.

DJKhaled

Postal voted about a week ago, I really have low hope but I really just want hung parliament at the least, I am very scared about my future if Liberals win, being poor and disabled with them in charge is scary.

luchadork

With respect, ignoring climate change impacts and continuing to foster financial inequality is an even worse economic strategy.

Ignoring the former will cost billions if not trillions of dollars globally. Continuing the second will degrade social conditions and lead us to a US style impasse.

spot on. and its not as if their policies are completely radical. the majority of their funding would come from: removing fossil fuel subsidies (24b), removing negative gearing (15b), and the carbon tax (16b). they actually aim to have a surplus by 2020 too (if you care about that shit). http://greens.org.au/sites/greens.org.au/files/AG_Costed Platform_A4_v2.pdf

darkace

Banned

Hence the climate change comment.

And inequality is markedly less impactful in Australia than it is in the US. Consumption inequality actually decreased under the Howard government.

Obviously a progressive taxation system is important, which is what Australia has. Ours is broadly progressive, and I'm somewhat wary of the intentions of those seeking more progressiveness when we already have slightly under half the population paying no net tax, and the top 10% paying for half of our governments spending.

terrible for the status quo. i agree.

The status quo is fucking fantastic in Australia. I have no idea how you can say otherwise. Obviously we can make changes for the better, but we need minor nudges in the right direction, not a radical rethink of the consensus.

Yagharek

With regards to climate change policy I really think we need to be doing far more investment in renewable tech. It's not only cheaper, it's already viable in many places.

For example, in WA, if you have a semi-remote property (eg in towns like Northam and York ~200km outside of the Perth metro) you can already go entirely off-grid for half the cost of getting connected to the grid alone.

WA gets something like 12 hours of sunshine per day, so whack panels on every roof, solar plants around low-income townships, with batteries becoming cheaper every year now.

Coastal power generation is sufficient to provide baseload along any coastal town via either the SW ocean swell or frequently strong winds (NE, SE and SW are all commonly above 30kph) along the west and south coasts.

Even mine sites are now are able to generate over half their daytime power from solar.

If you want to be 'agile' this kind of power distribution and network resilience is a no-brainer.

Hence the climate change comment.

And inequality is markedly less impactful in Australia than it is in the US.

Inequality may be less impactful, but there are still some extreme cases which need redressing. Indigenous communities in particular can be very disadvantaged and do not get the appropriate form of help.

Bernbaum

If you had to wait longer than normal this year, there was an 8% cut in polling places despite expecting a similar number of voters as last time. But efficiency, right?

ABC news 24 were discussing the impact of the new senate ballot rules (6 preferences now required) on the queues at polling booths.

The battle for the seat of Higgins has spilled into violence with police investigating the alleged biting of a Greens volunteer by a backer of assistant treasurer Kelly O'Dwyer.
[...]
Mr McCormack said in the time it took to visit the police station about half of the Greens posters were ripped down.

No arrests have been made and the investigation remains ongoing.

A spokeswoman for Ms O'Dwyer denied the incident took place.
Democracy.
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...ral-in-fight-for-higgins-20160702-gpwxne.html

Just cast my vote. I gotta say, I was pretty disappointed by some of the Labour voters standing in line and making snide remarks at people who had the Liberal 'how to vote' cards. Labour voters think they are at the forefront of tolerance, yet show bigotry towards other voters. Total lack of self awareness i'm guessing.

Fredescu

ABC news 24 were discussing the impact of the new senate ballot rules (6 preferences now required) on the queues at polling booths.

Yep, the person that raised the point about the 8% cut in polling places (Peter Brent of the Oz) raised this point too. Imagine having fewer polling places for the same* number of people, and then those people have to spend longer in there.

* hyperbole on my part, there are actually slightly fewer voters expected this year, but that's incredibly inconvenient for my point.

luchadork

The status quo is fucking fantastic in Australia. I have no idea how you can say otherwise. Obviously we can make changes for the better, but we need minor nudges in the right direction, not a radical rethink of the consensus.

instead of using broad terms that you end up back tracking on when called out, could you expand on what policies you think the greens have that is so radical it would be detrimental to our long term economic prospects?

honestly, even if you just addressed the 3 biggest policies they have on funding, i'd appreciate it.

- removing fossil fuel subsidies (24b)
- introducing carbon tax (16b)
- removing negative gearing (15b)

Fredescu

Just cast my vote. I gotta say, I was pretty disappointed by some of the Labour voters standing in line and making snide remarks at people who had the Liberal 'how to vote' cards. Labour voters think they are at the forefront of tolerance, yet show bigotry towards other voters. Total lack of self awareness i'm guessing.

That's shitty behaviour for sure, but the bolded isn't really true. Not sure how someone could claim that and vote 1 for a party that locks up browns on an island.

darkace

Banned
instead of using broad terms that you end up back tracking on when called out, could you expand on what policies you think the greens have that is so radical it would be detrimental to our long term economic prospects?

honestly, even if you just addressed the 3 biggest policies they have on funding, i'd appreciate it.

- removing fossil fuel subsidies (24b)
- introducing carbon tax (16b)
- removing negative gearing (15b)

Their changes to the superannuation system, higher marginal tax rates, their levy on large banks, their changes to the CGT, their worldwide gearing ratio and their Buffet tax.

They also wont receive 24b from fossil fuel subsidies as that doesn't exist. The industry gets almost no subsidies whatsoever. The Greens seem to mistaking tax deductions for subsidies, in which case they still wont claw back that amount as investment will decrease. The PBO doesn't account for behavioural changes in their costings.

The only person that backtracks is you.

Bernbaum

I think the obsession with celebrating the election day sausage sizzle as a cultural quirk shows just how much our culture is just a re-appropriation of multiple other cultures and how desperate Australians are to overemphasise something seen as uniquely ours.

It's a burnt piece of pigs arse in budget bread
and it's delicious

That's shitty behaviour for sure, but the bolded isn't really true. Not sure how someone could claim that and vote 1 for a party that locks up browns on an island.

That's a pretty shitty assumption you just made about the way I voted. I didn't mention anything about the vote I cast.

And I voted to save my job today. Labour wants to introduce an $8000 ceiling for VET fee help, and as an educator at an RTO, this would hurt the majority of our students.

You should maybe ask a few questions before passing judgement.

I think the obsession with celebrating the election day sausage sizzle as a cultural quirk shows just how much our culture is just a re-appropriation of multiple other cultures and how desperate Australians are to overemphasise something seen as uniquely ours.

It's a burnt piece of pigs arse in budget bread
and it's delicious

my polling place not only had a sausage stall but also had a home-made dim-sim stall. 3 for $5, so I took that instead. Heaps good.

Fredescu

Sorry, I mistook you replying to my comment as a reference to myself..

It was a reference to what you said, but nothing to do with how you voted. I'm just saying that any Labor voter claiming to be at the forefront of tolerance, whatever that may mean, is wrong about that in my opinion. It was fairly clear from your post that you had a distaste for them anyway, so I didn't consider that my reply might be construed as suggesting you voted for them. Apologies if it came off that way.

luchadork

Their changes to the superannuation system, higher marginal tax rates, their levy on large banks, their changes to the CGT, their worldwide gearing ratio and their Buffet tax.

They also wont receive 24b from fossil fuel subsidies as that doesn't exist. The industry gets almost no subsidies whatsoever. The Greens seem to mistaking tax deductions for subsidies, in which case they still wont claw back that amount as investment will decrease. The PBO doesn't account for behavioural changes in their costings.

The only person that backtracks is you.

genuinely feel like you just went through their costings and listed everything.

all 3 parties are making, honestly fairly similar, changes to superannuation tax.

higher marginal tax rates, removing negative gearing and capital gains concessions, and the buffet tax are all about addressing income inequality.

the levy on banks is a labor policy that at one point had liberal support.

the worldwide gearing ratio is a labor policy based on making sure corporations don't avoid their tax.

again... where are the radical policies? dont backtrack now.

It was a reference to what you said, but nothing to do with how you voted. I'm just saying that any Labor voter claiming to be at the forefront of tolerance, whatever that may mean, is wrong about that in my opinion. It was fairly clear from your post that you had a distaste for them anyway, so I didn't consider that my reply might be construed as suggesting you voted for them. Apologies if it came off that way.

All good, no harm done.

darkace

Banned
genuinely feel like you just went through their costings and listed everything.
They have many bad policies.
all 3 parties are making, honestly fairly similar, changes to superannuation tax.
The Greens seem to be under the delusion that super is something that is comparable to normal income. It isn't. Super is one of the primary drivers of investment in the Australian economy. You want to incentivise super contributions over normal consumption, it's good long-term policy. That some people have more super than others is largely irrelevant as all Australians are winners from its existence.

Obviously we should ensure that people can retire comfortably if possible, but we still have pensions.

The LNP have the best super policy, followed by the ALP and then the Greens.
higher marginal tax rates, removing negative gearing and capital gains concessions, and the buffet tax are all about addressing income inequality.
Removal of NG is good policy. The rest are bad long-term policy. Like I said. There are far worse things than inequality.
the levy on banks is a labor policy that at one point had liberal support.
What? No it isn't. It's also bad policy. This will be directly passed onto people who use the big banks. Or they will split themselves, passing on the costs for reduced stability in an indirect manner.
the worldwide gearing ratio is a labor policy based on making sure corporations don't avoid their tax.
It's bad policy that drives away foreign investment. Harming Australian workers and consumers.
again... where are the radical policies? dont backtrack now.
A royal commission designed to looking into breaking up the banks. Buffet taxes are radical policies. As is a government-mandated living wage for artists. As is a levy on big banks.

DJKhaled

That's a pretty shitty assumption you just made about the way I voted. I didn't mention anything about the vote I cast.

And I voted to save my job today. Labour wants to introduce an $8000 ceiling for VET fee help, and as an educator at an RTO, this would hurt the majority of our students.

You should maybe ask a few questions before passing judgement.

So assuming you didn't vote Labor you most likely voted Liberal, thanks for fucking over the sick and poor like me. I'm glad they're sticking it to those rip-off RTO companies and funding TAFE more, it helps the more vulnerable out instead of exploiting them.

So assuming you didn't vote Labor you most likely voted Liberal, thanks for fucking over the sick and poor like me. I'm glad they're sticking it to those rip-off RTO companies and funding TAFE more, it helps the more vulnerable out instead of exploiting them.

So I'm meant to vote in a way that benefits an abusive person on the internet, above a way that helps keep me employed and food on my families table? Yep, seems like I'm making some bad decisions here.

I think you need to take a look in the mirror and stop blaming other people for your problems. My bro has rare blood disorders, and there's no way I'd vote in a way that was detrimental to him. And I've been poor most of my life, I even came from housing commission. Again, you're basing your anger towards me on an assumption about how I voted. Think about that for a second.

DJKhaled

So I'm meant to vote in a way that benefits an abusive person on the internet, above a way that helps keep me employed and food on my families table? Yep, seems like I'm making some bad decisions here.

I think you need to take a look in the mirror and stop blaming other people for your problems. My bro has rare blood disorders, and there's no way I'd vote in a way that was detrimental to him. And I've been poor most of my life, I even came from housing commission. Again, you're basing your anger towards me on an assumption about how I voted. Think about that for a second.

You work for companies that have a history of ripping people off, you voted against Labor fixing that and funding TAFE so right there you voted out of self-interest instead of the betterment of the nation. Then you also voted for a party that has no regard for sick and vulnerable people, if you understood how hard it is to be alive every day and get centrelink now since the Liberals cut funding you'd be voting differently.

EDIT: also, not sure where I was abusive, but okay then.

Yagharek

Voted, no sausages at the booth = rage.

For the third time in 3 years (2013's missing ballot boxes) I got to vote Ludlam in at #1.

Preferenced Labor > Nats > Libs. Christians ahead of Rise Up Australia but those two are probably equally hateful and won't see my vote either way.

And some old guy tried to get in my car.

Had a struggle deciding who to Number as 3-6 after voting my usual 1/2 LNP/ALP.

Ended up putting NXT and Greens in there, but the remaining two were parties I liked the sound of, like Animal Rights

You work for companies that have a history of ripping people off, you voted against Labor fixing that and funding TAFE so right there you voted out of self-interest instead of the betterment of the nation. Then you also voted for a party that has no regard for sick and vulnerable people, if you understood how hard it is to be alive every day and get centrelink now since the Liberals cut funding you'd be voting differently.

EDIT: also, not sure where I was abusive, but okay then.

I've been on centrelink under both Liberal and Labor governments, and it was terrible under both.

And please tell me again, who did I vote for?

Also, you should go and tell my former students that are successful in there new job roles that they should never have had the chance to succeed because of "the evil RTO's ripping people off". It can be a hero story that you tell your grandchildren.

And I also have TAFE certificates that were worthless in helping me get a job, so don't pretend like TAFE is some saviour of the poor and down trodden, as they gladly took my money too.

D.Lo

Sorry about your job, but private vocational colleges are out of control profit monsters and saddling the government, and students if they ever earn enough money, with massive debt for an under 20% graduation rate.

It's an $8000 annual cap. Engineering and Medicine at Uni cost under $4000 a year. How can any course justify costing more than $8000 a year?

Dead Man

I've been on centrelink under both Liberal and Labor governments, and it was terrible under both.

Also, you should go and tell my former students that are successful in there new job roles that they should never have had the chance to succeed because of "the evil RTO's ripping people off". It can be a hero story that you tell your grandchildren.

And I also have TAFE certificates that were worthless in helping me get a job, so don't pretend like TAFE is some saviour of the poor and down trodden, as they gladly took my money too.

Instead of playing 'gotcha' with how you voted, just tell people or shut up about it.

DJKhaled

I already guessed Liberal, why not just man up and tell everyone who you voted for instead of trying to play games? I really don't care to be honest, you voted against the nations best interests because you see yourself as more important than everyone else.

Sorry about your job, but private vocational colleges are out of control profit monsters and saddling the government, and students if they ever earn enough money, with massive debt for an under 20% graduation rate.

It's an $8000 annual cap. Engineering and Medicine at Uni cost under $4000 a year. How can any course justify costing more than $8000 a year?

Not sure when the last time you tried to set up a place of education was.. but having high end PC's, software licenses (game design software ain't cheap) and highly skilled industry professionals as teachers comes at a price no matter which way you slice it. And then the rent for the buildings on top. I'm not pretending to know the costs either, but you can't just lump all RTO's together and tar them with the same brush.

And you use universities as an example, but you exclude the fact that a lot of their income comes from international students that pay a much higher rate. And they also have lecturers teaching to hundreds of students at a time, and trust me, this style of learning is nowhere near as effective as the hands on approach and 8hrs a day of teaching we give our small class sizes. Also, the only contact I get from my university since graduating is them asking for money for me to donate. Universities churn out a lot of students that don't get employed in their field as well.

laoni

Did my vote via post and my parents dropped it off at the local polling place, seeing as mum didn't finish her vote till this morning.

I'm not expecting labour to take majority, but damn I'm hoping Nikolic gets the boot. Small victories, small victories. Anecdotally, I've not seen any young people around here say they voted for him (18-25 range). To be fair, though, I'm fairly sure he's blocked everyone I know IRL from his Facebook page because they posted studies proving what he was saying wrong.

Nikolic is just a waste of oxygen, really...

I already guessed Liberal, why not just man up and tell everyone who you voted for instead of trying to play games? I really don't care to be honest, you voted against the nations best interests because you see yourself as more important than everyone else.

So it's okay for you to vote based on self-interest (sorry, I mean the "nation's interest"), but not for me? The delusion is real.

Galaxy exit poll of 25 marginal seats says 50/50 with a 3.4% swing to labour.
Fuck off with your "too close to call" bullshit.

Woah.

Been watching the news most of the day and a lot of people are, quite frankly rightly so, about Medicare, more than the media said would be. They may have overblown the scare campaign but people are genuinely worried about it.

Also in some ways I hope Eden-Monaro goes to Labor and Malcolm still falls across the line just so we don't have to put up with people saying its a bellwether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom