• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGaf |Early 2016 Election| - the government's term has been... Shortened

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a brit I don't know much about aussie politics but whatever the outcome I'm sure you can't do worse than the brexit vote and our parties being crippled 😓

BowieZ

Banned
In that case I refuse to vote for a party that will spend spend spend spend and never try to recoup the cost of all of their spending :)
Sometimes you have to spend money to make money... to make long term investments in things like health and education/science.

And honestly, none of Australia's lenders are going to call in on their debt for generations, if ever. Why do we have to be economically frugal NOW? It sounds great but it may not be the better strategy for most people long term.

^ Also good point -- sometimes spending more money more wisely is better than spending slightly less money less wisely (eg wasting billions on defence).

Dead Man

PhantomZone will never age, never have sick children, never lose their job, never need anything. Doesn't need roads, doesn't need investment in education so people can get jobs and then buy goods to have a functioning economy. Woo! They truly are an island.

In that case I refuse to vote for a party that will spend spend spend spend and never try to recoup the cost of all of their spending :)

The traditional Liberal measure for raising revenue is selling assets.

Make a list of the assets held by the Federal government, and then make another list of the ones you use... then pick which you'd like to have privatised.

elfinke

Fucking dammit.

fWqD2FM.jpg

Left only to root for a hung parliament now. What a wet fart of an electorate.

PhantomZone will never age, never have sick children, never lose their job, never need anything. Doesn't need roads, doesn't need investment in education so people can get jobs and then buy goods to have a functioning economy. Woo! They truly are an island.

I do like the CFA so Labor deserves whatever misfortune they have after Daniel Andrews's stuff up over that :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I have a chest infection and I'm listening to Jefferson Airplane and drinking amber ale and that's how I'm spending election night.

Maybe later I'll have a burrito.

Who knows.

Even on the ABC the seats are fairly close by about 6. Katherine Murphy over at The Guardian is noting that the Libs are collectively freaking out on live TV and trying to hide it behind grit teeth.

Talk about a nail-biter of an election.

elfinke

~9% swing against Abbott in his seat (Warringah, on first preference). I'm rolling in Schadenfreude over that, seems Mathison did really well down there.

And yes, a few Libs are seemingly beginning to campaign on TV already, a real shift in tone and language taking place.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If/when the Libs squeak out a win tonight, I fully expect to hear lots of talk about having a mandate, ignoring the swing against them.

Vote for a stable government. No chaos. No debts.

darkace

Banned
Abbott is a much better speaker than his time as PM would lead me to believe. Maybe he was going for the Bush method of national leadership?

BowieZ

Banned
LOL at the young LNP volunteers holding their smiles as much as possible throughout this Brisbane guy's talk.

Cool though that LNP put up a gay guy and he won (albeit against another gay candidate lol).

As a brit I don't know much about aussie politics but whatever the outcome I'm sure you can't do worse than the brexit vote and our parties being crippled 😓
My condolences for those political issues you're facing. Before seeing much about the senate yet, things aren't going so bad compared to last election.

I really get the feeling a lot of people here just vote for the status quo

Whatever you say about Barnaby on a countrywide scale, he is clearly a very powerful advocate for his seat. Hard to displace. The reason Mirabella was unseated was she was viewed as a fly-in and a poor advocate.

Briggs officially gone!

Pretty sure certain areas are still real salty that he backed Gillard despite the fact that their constituency benefited from the deal.

Yeah not everywhere but there's definitely that feeling of Labor being the enemy. It was always going to be a hard sell and the eventual collapse and return of Rudd was no help.

Edit: and yeah as above, whether you agreed with his positions or not Barnaby was always pushing for New England one way or another.

Yagharek

Gotta combat them Muslims and Asians. MULTICULTURALISM HAS FAILED = FACT.

With any luck in 20 years there will be enough second and third and higher generation Asians in Queensland to permanently consign ONP to history.

Failing that we could transplant every queenslanders brain with a cow brain and that would achieve the same affect.

Exemptions will be given to anyone that can accurately count to ten.

Libs at 72 on the ABC, with Labor clawing back towards it with 64. The Guardian has 54-51 towards Labor, with the AEC's tally being fairly similar.

I think the ABC's tally might be a bit presumptive, honestly.

darkace

Banned
With any luck in 20 years there will be enough second and third and higher generation Asians in Queensland to permanently consign ONP to history.

Failing that we could transplant every queenslanders brain with a cow brain and that would achieve the same affect.

Hey we aren't too bad in South East Queensland. Just maybe everyone north of the Sunshine Coast and West of Ipswich. Including Ipswich.

EatChildren

Cows are sacred in Hindu so nice try to influence TRUE BLUE AUSTRALIAN CULTURE with INDIANS get out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom