• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGaf |Early 2016 Election| - the government's term has been... Shortened

Status
Not open for further replies.

choodi

Banned
What exactly are all these so-called positive policies the Labor bloke on the ABC is talking about?

The whole Labor campaign was built on a lie about medicare.

What exactly are all these so-called positive policies the Labor bloke on the ABC is talking about?

The past two weeks aren't the whole campaign. You might remember things about changes to negative gearing, more funding for schools...

As much padding as there was.

darkace

Banned
Honestly with Bolt we could be the world's leading exporter of salt. The Romans could have kept an army supplied for months just on his tears.

elfinke

If by 'whole' you mean the last two weeks. Prior to that they had been pushing their quite literal '100 positive policies' campaign that The Chaser lampooned.

I'm not defending the dumbshit decision to go so hard, without any caveats, over Medicare, to be clear. I hope a number of campaign advisors in the ALP get a foot in the arse over it.

choodi

Banned
If by 'whole' you mean the last two weeks. Prior to that they had been pushing their quite literal '100 positive policies' campaign that The Chaser lampooned.

I'm not defending the dumbshit decision to go so hard, without any caveats, over Medicare, to be clear. I hope a number of campaign advisors in the ALP get a foot in the arse over it.

If Turnbull survives this and contests the next election as PM, i genuinely see the Medicare claims coming back to haunt Labor.

Chris Ulman's conservatism is showing, he's pissed off now.

If Turnbull survives this and contests the next election as PM, i genuinely see the Medicare claims coming back to haunt Labor.

I don't in the slightest. Did the ALP overplay it? Sure but it did two things: first it put health at the forefront of the election and made everyone realise that the Coalition have been taking chunks out of medicare since Fraser and secondly it drew a promise out of Turnbull yesterday morning on Sunrise. He said no one will have to pay more to visit the doctor absolutely under the coalition. He tried later in the day to roll back on that promise, but he made it and it will hang around his neck for as long or short as he is PM. It was his "no carbon tax" or "no cuts to health & education, not cuts to the ABC or SBS." They can't touch Medicare anymore.

Bill will get 3 more years.

cluderi

Nice to see QLD keeping it real again with Pauline. With the current climate in the UK we could accept QLD as a Scotland substitute if they want to secede.

D.Lo

But the polling has showed the Medicare bullshit thing has actually worked. That's the most frustrating part for me.

It's the coalition's fault that the scare was plausible of course. But nontheless, what are effectively, if not lies then at least no evidence speculation, have done well for them.

I'm now concerned there will be a factional shitfight over the Labor leadership, since the next election should now be an easy win for Labor. Shorten has improved but is still a pretty shit performer and dirty factional player.

DeSo

Banned
So is every channel interrogating the Labor winners? Murdoch's rule?

Was fun watching Plibersek obliterate Vanstone the old cunt.

choodi

Banned
But the polling has showed the Medicare bullshit thing has actually worked. That's the most frustrating part for me.

It's the coalition's fault that the scare was plausible of course. But nontheless, what are effectively, if not lies then at least no evidence speculation, have done well for them.

I'm now concerned there will be a factional shitfight over the Labor leadership, since the next election should now be an easy win for Labor. Shorten has improved but is still a pretty shit performer and dirty factional player.
Not necessarily. Don't discount Turnbull with a full term to convince people.

HowZatOZ

Banned
The only reason Medicare is safe for now is because Liberal was feeling the heat and has to back track. We know it's gonna be snuck in just like GP tax was and every other bullshit policy Liberal stands for. Now that we are getting another minority government we can at least hope for these shit tactics being thrown out asap.

darkace

Banned
I'd be more worried if Shorten didn't see gains. He saw off Abbott and nearly turfed Turnbull in the space of three years. The ALP are generally loyal to a fault, with the exception of RGR, so I expect to see them stay on with him after his fantastic performances, especially with the last nine years haunting the ALP if they try more factional bs.

TwiztidElf

I've been flicking around, and this is without a doubt the most media controlled coverage ever. Barnaby starts talking about GetUp - Cut!. Some Liberal dude starts talking about real stuff - cut.

elfinke

Yeah, I started to type up something about that (nuance vs sledgehammer) but couldn't be bothered to finish it, lol. Frustrating only scratches the surface of how I feel about that aspect of the campaign.

Barnaby is on my TV talking to me, #godblessing me for returning him to government despite all pre-election polls suggesting it was close when instead it turns out he shitted it in.

I swear if I don't get one of the 175 jobs in the AVPMA before Christmas, I will write a very angry letter to Barnaby's office. Maybe the angriest - M.

BowieZ

Banned
So according to ABC's analysis, seems like LNP majority could be possible, if it sticks at 74 and also gains Cowan (currently 50.2%) and Capricornia (50.0% even).

I dunno, it was kind of over the top and often times exaggerating, but at it's core not really wrong...
It only felt true because it's the logical conclusion of the Liberal Party philosophy regarding any form of government provided services. It doesn't make it true in the immediate future, though it's always good to remind voters that this is the end goal. People seem to have collective amnesia about what political parties are.

I only wish there were some way of elevating the conversation so that it was about clear differences in worldview rather than horror stories about how the other side imminently plans to murder your children. Horror stories work, unfortunately. Nuanced debate over principles doesn't.

How is it not wrong at its core if it is not true?

They are making shitty changes to medicare. They've already put a freeze on a freeze on medicare to get the copayment through, and as of yesterday blood tests, xrays, and pap smears are no longer bulk billed. They haven't even denied that they're planning on cutting it back further. Only that they won't be privatising it completely.

HowZatOZ

Banned
So according to ABC's analysis, seems like LNP majority could be possible, if it sticks at 74 and also gains Cowan (currently 50.2%) and Capricornia (50.0% even).
Majority but still considered a minor, no? A majority government would be having far more than just 75/76 seats right?

Laurie: "Have you got any congratulations from Mr Depp?"

Barnaby: "Haha, Mr Depp has not been part of this government. But if you look into the cloud you might see Amber Heard."

Top banter, Joycie

BowieZ

Banned
Damn, Capricornia also up to 50.2%.

Looks like those late postal/pre-polling votes could actually make the difference :/

elfinke

I can't get enough of ScoMo talking about how the ALP have received their lowest FPP since 19blahblah when asked about his own teams' performance. Keep waiting to see him short circuit.

What a trooper for the cause.

laoni

I can't get enough of ScoMo talking about how the ALP have received their lowest FPP since 19blahblah when asked about his own teams' performance. Keep waiting to see him short circuit.

What a trooper for the cause.

He's short circuting slightly. I think he needs a recharge

elfinke

Just quickly flicked through between 7 and 9. Heard Lambie bang on about something, followed by very heavy breathing and a slow zoom-out of the camera so I swapped to the other channel, saw Vandstone and Beazley trading shots over Medicare (and by trading I mean talking over/at one another).

Yep, that'll do me. Back to ABC. I look forward to re-unplugging the aerial after this evening, for that matter.

laoni

Just quickly flicked through between 7 and 9. Heard Lambie bang on about something, followed by very heavy breathing and a slow zoom-out of the camera so I swapped to the other channel, saw Vandstone and Beazley trading shots over Medicare (and by trading I mean talking over/at one another).

Yep, that'll do me. Back to ABC. I look forward to re-unplugging the aerial after this evening, for that matter.

As a Tasmanian, I apologise for Lambie, I really do

I think Shorten is safe simply because of how much he's visibly improved over this campaign. Even though he didn't win, he's shown he can actually be a viable and effective leader. And I can't believe I'm saying that about someone who came across like a paper mache puppet when he first became leader.

choodi

Banned

The only thing Vandstone and Beasley are qualified to fight over is a pie and chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom