• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGaf |Early 2016 Election| - the government's term has been... Shortened

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkace

Banned
so real talk... is this kind of an underwhelming result for the greens? i live in a greens echo chamber so i thought we were going to change the world. looking like we've just 'maintained' our vote from last election.

lol

The Greens are a very youthful upper-middle class urban vote. They have almost no pull outside of it.

Jintor

so real talk... is this kind of an underwhelming result for the greens? i live in a greens echo chamber so i thought we were going to change the world. looking like we've just 'maintained' our vote from last election.

lmao.

seems an okay result, I think they bounced back to 10% of the total vote but it's spread out over the entire country (apart from a few places) so not a lot of seats. the support is there though.

man shorten is on point with his fucking cadence. He could just be saying blah blah blah and he'd be really soothing

lol

The Greens are a very youthful upper-middle class urban vote. They have almost no pull outside of it.

this also

They're still in with a shot in Batman, will probably lose 1 or 2 in the senate.

darkace

Banned
lmao.

seems an okay result, I think they bounced back to 10% of the total vote but it's spread out over the entire country (apart from a few places) so not a lot of seats. the support is there though.

man shorten is on point with his fucking cadence. He could just be saying blah blah blah and he'd be really soothing

Honestly if this politics thing doesn't work out for Bill he definitely has a lucrative career narrating audiobooks.

hidys

As a non-Green I will say that it is pretty clear that they have a chance in Batman and have built a solid base in Higgins, Wills and Melbourne Ports.

They seriously dropped the ball in NSW achieving a similar result to last year and spending significantly more money.

Overall they haven't done particularly well and they might actually have less Senators than before. So yeah it is a bit underwhelming.

There were some big swings towards the Greens and some close calls. It's not the same as more seats but it is promising for the future.

i mean that's basically the only reason you'd be a lib next to a lnp on an election results review show
Beazley and Costello are both ultra civil and actively agreeing with each other a lot of the time, though I guess it becomes different when you aren't a sitting member.

D.Lo

i haven't heard a labor room this excited for years
2007 was nuts.

It's kind of weird, I mean this is still a clear loss for Labor. 74 to 66 is not a win. Second lowest primary vote ever.

Better than expected is still not enough. An actual strong leader with a decent vision would have won this easily, it turns out. Turnbull and Morrison shit the bed.

EDIT: Same with the Greens. They'll probably even go backwards.

elfinke

ScoMo once again banging on about the ALP FPP vote being so low. Which sure, it's absolutely something the ALP need to look at.

But given his own mob are likely to only just be returned to government, there must be number cruncher out there who can tell me how the LNP FPP ranks as well?

Hoping to wake up to some interesting numbers anyway.

The Labor primary vote is completely irrelevant while a) the Greens exist in a meaningful way b) isn't enough to bump Labor off in a seat and c) continues to flow mainly to Labor.

2007 was nuts.

It's kind of weird, I mean this is still a clear loss for Labor. 74 to 66 is not a win. Second lowest primary vote ever.

Better than expected is still not enough. An actual strong leader with a decent vision would have won this easily, it turns out. Turnbull and Morrison shit the bed.

EDIT: Same with the Greens. They'll probably even go backwards.

Double dissolutions don't favor the Greens because their vote is usually around enough to elect 1 Senator per state at a normal but usually not enough to elect 2 at a double.

darkace

Banned
The Labor primary vote is completely irrelevant while a) the Greens exist in a meaningful way b) isn't enough to bump Labor off in a seat and c) continues to flow mainly to Labor.

Eh, I might agree with you if we weren't a bicameral legislature.

Also the ABC hosts are starting to lose it. This is great.

jey_16

Banned
voted Labor but i actually don't mind Malcolm as PM, the problem is that there are too many fuckwit Liberals who push their religious ideological bullshit onto the country and Turnbull is beholden to them, its only going to get worse now

Even Greens in the Senate are largely irrelevant in that sense, of Labor would rather take the conservative position they can fall back on other Crossbench/LNP and they are reliable votes for non-conservative policy.

exactly.

Although labor should take note if they're losing more primaries to the greens than usual. I couldn't in good conscience put them first with their policies on refugees.

luchadork

i think i live in the greenest area of sydney and even here fucking albo just did a half court dunk on us. shattering the backboard and shit. and then gave us the big old welcome to the AEC stare down. let this be a lesson for everyone not to drink the koolaid too much. or rum either.

this was me earlier today...

qro65.gif
8KZ44.gif

now...

aUa2a.gif
A3gV6.gif

i will say though. whatever whatever the results. i've had a fucking great day. what a country.

albo right now
Scottie%2BPippen%2Bon%2BPatrick%2BEwing%2BShot%2BScience.gif

casey right now
zRqx6mh.gif

hirokazu

Greens tend to pull votes away from Labor, but usually not enough for their candidate to poll ahead of a competing Labor candidate. It's difficult for them to gain seats on the HoR.

Their support base gives them better results in the quota-based senate, but as mentioned, they're vulnerable to losing seats to minor parties in a double dissolution.

i think i live in the greenest area of sydney and even here fucking albo just did a half court dunk on us. shattering the backboard and shit. and then gave us the big old welcome to the AEC stare down. let this be a lesson for everyone not to drink the koolaid too much. or rum either.

this was me earlier today...

qro65.gif
8KZ44.gif

now...

aUa2a.gif
A3gV6.gif

i will say though. whatever whatever the results. i've had a fucking great day. what a country.

albo right now
tumblr_n26jkhDP0Y1rcqq8co1_r2_400.gif

casey right now
zRqx6mh.gif

We aren't going to get those seats from major ALP players with good left wing records. If they retire (and especially if factional idiocy drops someone with a poor progressive record) there'll be a chance. That's the actual point of campaigning in those seats to have a chance at that time. Do need to be careful to not get to aggressive either as a result.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
One Nation support was inevitable. The /pol/ paranoia market is booming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom