• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGaf |Early 2016 Election| - the government's term has been... Shortened

Status
Not open for further replies.
A majority is a majority, whether it is 1 or 20.

76 is a majority. 75 is hung (because your bills are denied on a tie). You need 77 to actually run a government though (since the Speaker only votes in case of ties) and having every vote be a tie is a mess and leaves you deeply vulnerable to absences. You really want more than that so that you don't risk having a no confidence motion passed if someone is sick / absent / late.

And yet it's us Queenslanders that cop all the flak ;)

We are sending 1 or 2 One Nation to the Senate , so we do deserve flack. Lambie's better than that.

bomma_man

I can't get enough of ScoMo talking about how the ALP have received their lowest FPP since 19blahblah when asked about his own teams' performance. Keep waiting to see him short circuit.

What a trooper for the cause.

It would be beautiful if we had a lib dem equivalent on the centre right. The green bote is growing but 90% of those votes are flowing to labor.

Senate Possibitities:

• NSW: 5 LIB, 4 LAB, 1 GRN, 1 ONP, 1 other from CDP and LDP
  • QLD: 5 LNP, 4 Lab, 1 GRN, 1 ONP, 1 other from ????
  • VIC: 5 Lib, 4 Lab, 2 GRN, 1 Hinch
  • SA: 4 Lib, 4 Lab, 3 NXT, 1 GRN
  • Tas: 4 Lab, 4 Lib, 2 GRN, 1 Lambie, 1 other from Lab and ONP
  • WA: Way early
  • ACT: 1 Lab, 1 Lib
  • NT: 1 Lab, 1 Lib

choodi

Banned
76 is a majority. 75 is hung (because your bills are denied on a tie). You need 77 to actually run a government though (since the Speaker only votes in case of ties) and having every vote be a tie is a mess and leaves you deeply vulnerable to absences. You really want more than that so that you don't risk having a no confidence motion passed if someone is sick / absent / late.

We are sending 1 or 2 One Nation to the Senate , so we do deserve flack. Lambie's better than that.

Usually there is an agreement to not take advantage of genuine absences if an MP is sick or absent for a good reason.

Really, if we're debating the merits of Lambie and One Nation, we're all pretty stuffed!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
is the nightmare over yet

laoni

13528993_10154284553003399_3784567119427716624_n.jpg

Yrael

Turnbull forced the ALP to actually develop policy. He was a clear force for good for our political system.

I can't help but feel that the better force for good would be the Liberal party not being in power again.

PS I will never tire of the fact we have an electorate named "Batman".

I chuckle every time the federal election rolls around and I'm reminded of its existence.

choodi

Banned
I just saw a fucking rocket blast off on channel 7 with a candidate aboard.

Can we please just take away their right to broadcast please?

Jintor

ScoMo on ABC is really fun listening to him bluster. Every five minutes Wong just snipes him for massive damage with like one sentence

ScoMo on ABC is really fun listening to him bluster. Every five minutes Wong just snipes him for massive damage with like one sentence

There's been a couple of times where I swear she had to restrain herself from physically attacking him talking over him

oipic

Went into tonight not thinking much of Scott Morrison. Doubts confirmed.

His discomfort and bluster has made for entertaining viewing, it its own way, but I would happily never see or hear from him again. He's everything I tend to loathe in politicians, and I have very low expectations of them at the best of times.

Jintor

i mean scomo has a point about medicare but wong also has a point that the LNP is the fucking king of baseless scare campaigns

Assuming everyone votes (excluding the speaker) you'll have 149 votes so 76 gives you a 75 to 74 advantage. 75 leaves you one short.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH SHORTEN JUNIOR'S HAIR????????

Jintor

lmao this is the most typical possible speech but it's hilarious anyway

damnit shorten we just agreed mandates suck

Scott Morrison and Penny Wong are both such annoying politicians, in the way everything they say is just complaining about the other.

Edit: Everyone has voted and he's still on the Medicare shit

BowieZ

Banned
Assuming everyone votes (excluding the speaker) you'll have 149 votes so 76 gives you a 75 to 74 advantage. 75 leaves you one short.
Alan Jones was also going on about needing 77 votes which was confusing me. If you get 76, the other can only get 74, meaning you have 75 plus a speaker, right?

Jintor

man i haven't watched aussie politics for a while but man does shorten have a weirdly soothing cadence

what a weirdo

Alan Jones was also going on about needing 77 votes which was confusing me. If you get 76, the other can only get 74, meaning you have 75 plus a speaker, right?

This is why we need to invest in that new fangled edumacayshun in this here countree billy bob.

Oh god sake Bill, you should have left your son at home.

luchadork

so real talk... is this kind of an underwhelming result for the greens? i live in a greens echo chamber so i thought we were going to change the world. looking like we've just 'maintained' our vote from last election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom