• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGaf |Early 2016 Election| - the government's term has been... Shortened

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.Lo

i think i live in the greenest area of sydney and even here fucking albo just did a half court dunk on us. shattering the backboard and shit. and then gave us the big old welcome to the AEC stare down. let this be a lesson for everyone not to drink the koolaid too much. or rum either.
Lol yeah.

Greens are in with a shot against Feeney because he's a shithouse candidate. They're not gonna crack a high profile local hero candidate.

We aren't going to get those seats from major ALP players with good left wing records. If they retire (and especially if factional idiocy drops someone with a poor progressive record) there'll be a chance. That's the actual point of campaigning in those seats to have a chance at that time. Do need to be careful to not get to aggressive either as a result.
Yeah they probably harmed their brand here going hard against Albo. And the results show that. I mean they still came third behind the libs.

darkace

Banned
ehehe aec has 69/69

Seriously though ONP support was practically inevitable with our recent relative economic stagnation and the shitshow in Europe. Xenophobia is never more in fashion than when immigration is high, and our globalised world makes problems the other side of the globe seem as though they pertain to us.

darkace

Banned
i genuinely saw people on /r/australia defending one nation, when did that shit happen

That sub is brogressive. They're all for redistributive economic policies because the inhabitants are young and poor. But fuck race issues and issues facing females and the international poor, helping them wont get me faster internet to torrent Game of Thrones.

Lol yeah.

Greens are in with a shot against Feeney because he's a shithouse candidate. They're not gonna crack a high profile local hero candidate.

Yeah they probably harmed their brand here going hard against Albo. And the results show that.

If labor hold Batman, they need to dump Feeney and replace him with a serious candidate with progressive credentials. Someone from the Senate or maybe from the State government.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
i genuinely saw people on /r/australia defending one nation, when did that shit happen

It's the thing now with hip young e-warriors.
- immigration is bad (europe a nightmare wasteland)
- muslims extra bad
- multicultralism failed = FACT
- cucks
- homosexual transgenders forcing agenda
- feminist sjws censoring everything
- "the left"
- more cucks

Nigh is the age of disillusioned alt right.

I more so meant what do you mean by the internal polling? What did they get right?

Some internal people in both parties thought their polling was wrong when it was saying 50/50 while ipsos, reachtel, etc. were saying 51/49 and marginals strongly to LNP.

The fact is most polling in Australia is rubbish. I'm in a safe seat and I got polled 4 times. 4 times.
We know that the election is decided by ~150,000 people in 30 marginal seats. Why poll someone in a safe seat?
Only the Galaxy exit polls of marginals said 50/50.

BTW AEC now says 69 to 69. WTF is going on?

elfinke

Fuck me Malcolm, it's midnight. Hurry up and say some shit so I can go to bed.

Also hearing ScoMo endorse Barnaby...urgh. he is very quick to talk over Penny, too. It's embarrassing, really.

luchadork

Lol yeah.

Yeah they probably harmed their brand here going hard against Albo. And the results show that. I mean they still came third behind the libs.

yeh, fucking politics eh. at the state level its a greens area. at the federal level, even the libs polled ahead of us lol. farken hell.

BowieZ

Banned
Some internal people in both parties thought their polling was wrong when it was saying 50/50 while ipsos, reachtel, etc. were saying 51/49 and marginals strongly to LNP.

The fact is most polling in Australia is rubbish. I'm in a safe seat and I got polled 4 times. 4 times.
We know that the election is decided by ~150,000 people in 30 marginal seats. Why poll someone in a safe seat?
Only the Galaxy exit polls of marginals said 50/50.

BTW AEC now says 69 to 69. WTF is going on?
I see. I do polls for Galaxy, although I haven't for the last couple of weeks.

luchadork

It's the thing now with hip young e-warriors.
- immigration is bad (europe a nightmare wasteland)
- muslims extra bad
- multicultralism failed = FACT
- cucks
- homosexual transgenders forcing agenda
- feminist sjws censoring everything
- "the left"
- more cucks

Nigh is the age of disillusioned alt right.

omg. am i an e-warrior?

sXbEQvA.gif

laoni

I know I'm in marginal Bass, and I never was polled. Lots of bloody robocalls at 5-7pm from the Labor side.

Penny is so so so done with Scott XD

yeh, fucking politics eh. at the state level its a greens area. at the federal level, even the libs polled ahead of us lol. farken hell.

Thats because Albanese shares many of the same potential voters, if he does well , the Green vote drops far more then the LNP and he absolutely smashed it.

Had fun working at election day but boy oh boy is the voting system archaic and set in the fuckin' stone age.

Roughly 30% of the votes we counted were useless/informal. 4 polling booths to process 2500+ voters between 8am to 6pm.

elfinke

Had fun working at election day but boy oh boy is the voting system archaic and set in the fuckin' stone age.

Roughly 30% of the votes we counted were useless/informal. 4 polling booths to process 2500+ voters between 8am to 6pm.

I was looking at the informal vote count for the New England area earlier, it was several thousand. Ridiculous and slightly heart breaking. Not that it would have made any difference here locally, but thinking outwardly...

Palmer in QLD -> 0.02 quotas!
The Brick -> 0.2 quotas (goneski)
LDP in NSW -> 0.34 quotas (very unlikely)
Muir -> 0.126
Madigan -> 0.0?

Looks like WA will be 5Lib, 4 Lab, 2 GRN, 1 ONP

Edit: I didn't get a single robocall and only 1 galaxy poll that was territory not federal!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Good pay for working a polling station.

I was looking at the informal vote count for the New England area earlier, it was several thousand. Ridiculous and slightly heart breaking. Not that it would have made any difference here locally, but thinking outwardly...

Apparently people didn't read the Green Card and only numbered 1-6 which is informal since FPV is mandatory in Lower House.

And so my faith in humanity drops yet further.

Palmer in QLD -> 0.02 quotas!
The Brick -> 0.2 quotas (goneski)
LDP in NSW -> 0.34 quotas (very unlikely)
Muir -> 0.126
Madigan -> 0.0?

Looks like WA will be 5Lib, 4 Lab, 2 GRN, 1 ONP

You can't really judge the Senate until everything is in because you get elimination by both election (which transfers surplus quota percentage / total votes by preference) and elimination (which transfers at full weight by preference order) , so small changes can completely change preference flows.

What the Greens should be doing is starting off with winning local councils and developing candidates with records of actually doing something. Not just winning balances of power but actually getting posts in local and then state government. That would weed out some of their dogmatic head in the cloud policies and bring some pragmatism into their agenda. People don't trust them with any real responsibility because they've never seen them show it.

BTW where the fuck is Turnbullshit? Some of us have got shit to do tomorrow morning and it's well past midnight.

D.Lo

That's not really archaic? Just morons wasting votes by being dumb. It's not that hard, the instructions are on the sheets.

I think we have a very good voting system. Having to go out and vote today in the cold made me think internet voting would be good, but this way we have hard copies to be scrutinised. You can't hack a bunch of paper (or claim it was hacked).

BTW where the fuck is Turnbullshit? Some of us have got shit to do tomorrow morning and it's well past midnight.
He probably wanted a probable outright majority before appearing.

EDIT: Yep, he just appeared and called it a win.

laoni

How does it feel to now have an MP who isn't a complete fuckwit?

I'm honestly excited for it, even if LNP takes back power. I'm just hopeful that it makes enough of a difference in the state for the issues that affect me. I wasn't expecting him to lose it, I'll admit. Everyone I knew in my social circle who was putting him 5th or 6th, but, I hang out with a bunch of young left wing people who mostly voted Greens.

I've seen so many ads around for Nikolic, whole buses plastered with his dumb face, ads, letters (From Nikolic and from Turnbull), like, 2-3 flyers a week I swear... I figured the money poured into the advertising here in the city would push him over.

I voted 5th for him myself (I couldn't put the Christian Democrat crazies in front of him, I just couldn't).

Good pay for working a polling station.

Would have been if we would have been allowed to leave by 8pm. instead we ended up staying till midnight :(

Saw multiple ballot papers with dicks drawn on them, couldn't take any pictures though. Some lovely comments too:

'Ban Uber'
'No cunt worth voting for'
'Jesus always wins'
'Hope you idiots are getting paid for this'

So many people wasted their votes for the senate. The ballot paper was 4 feet long and they just randomly marked the first or last 6 parties over the line :(

luchadork

What the Greens should be doing is starting off with winning local councils and developing candidates with records of actually doing something. Not just winning balances of power but actually getting posts in local and then state government. That would weed out some of their dogmatic head in the cloud policies and bring some pragmatism into their agenda. People don't trust them with any real responsibility because they've never seen them show it.

this is a great point. i honestly feel like this is probably their plan long term. i feel with the nature boy ric di they started to do that. a reset to show they can be pragmatic. and maybe that this election was building the platform for the next one. i dunno. re: koolaid, etc.

That's not really archaic? Just morons wasting votes by being dumb. It's not that hard, the instructions are on the sheets.

I think we have a very good voting system. Having to go out and vote today in the cold made me think internet voting would be good, but this way we have hard copies to be scrutinised. You can't hack a bunch of paper (or claim it was hacked).

He probably wanted a probable outright majority before appearing.

The whole above and below the line system confuses a lot of people. We wasted a lot of time trying to make voters understand how to vote properly, and even then they ended up screwing their votes by voting incorrectly.

Also, no computer based voter records. Everything was on paper.

Its actually almost impossible to win local council seats as Greens. The Council Voting system is archaic shit , it's N independent FPTP races , so you tend to get cohesive blocks elected. By voting for an ALP aligned candidate I actually hurt the chance of electing a Green.

I say this because it was tried in Noosa and the above is exactly what happened.

elfinke

Yep, and the AEC has more confirmed seats for the ALP than for the LNP now (Although still 50/50 expected)

Hmmmmm, Malcolm is very confident of forming a majority government.

But he's also spent 80% of this speech talking about the ALP, rather than himself, or his own achievements? Letitgo.gif

BowieZ

Banned
Would have been if we would have been allowed to leave by 8pm. instead we ended up staying till midnight :)

Saw multiple ballot papers with dicks drawn on them, couldn't take any pictures though. Some lovely comments too:

'Ban Uber'
'No cunt worth voting for'
'Jesus always wins'
'Hope you idiots are getting paid for this'

So may people wasted their votes for the senate. The ballot paper was 4 feet long and they just randomly marked the first or last 6 parties over the line :(
Is it wrong that I don't mind if idiots concede they are idiotic and don't cast a formal vote?

I'm happy that their time is being wasted too.

D.Lo

Very well put.

Is it wrong that I don't mind if idiots concede they are idiotic and don't cast a formal vote?

I'm happy that their time is being wasted too.

I'd rather people who choose to waste their vote don't balls things up with random numbering or just numbering in order.

Window

I guess Turnbull can't afford to be seen as uncertain but this outright confidence in gaining the majority seems a bit odd.

laoni

I almost drew a dick around Nikolic's name. Almost.

My dyed true blue Liberal grandmother was watching, though. (Although, after telling her about what Nikolic pulled here in Tassie, she was pretty keen on throwing 'the bully' out.)

I guess Turnbull can't afford to be seen as uncertain but this outright confidence in gaining the majority seems a bit odd.

It's completely safe because even if he can't he will still form minority government since he's the only one who can. At which point he will never mention stable majority government again

ETA - My god , he's actually going to try and put the ABCC to a joint sitting. That's hilarious. I guess he has too now.

elfinke

That's putting it lightly. This braggadocio is off putting in the extreme.

Fuck all these guys, really. Which unfortunately, is where I was 8 weeks ago, too.

This addressing of the DD is interesting, though. Putting up some pre emptive shield to criticism given the LNP result I think.

BowieZ

Banned
I'd rather people who choose to waste their vote don't balls things up with random numbering or just numbering in order.
That's true, and a shame that numbering in order isn't counted as informal.

But still, forcing people to vote I think has a net positive. It forces far more people to get engaged in the political process than it does allow stupid people to have too much undue influence (I think...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom