• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGaf |Early 2016 Election| - the government's term has been... Shortened

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkace

Banned
It's the thing now with hip young e-warriors.
- immigration is bad (europe a nightmare wasteland)
- muslims extra bad
- multicultralism failed = FACT
- cucks
- homosexual transgenders forcing agenda
- feminist sjws censoring everything
- "the left"
- more cucks

Nigh is the age of disillusioned alt right.

I just think it's a bunch of sexually frustrated teens rebelling. It'd explain the rampant sexism and the massive crossover with PUA's. I had some really bad beliefs surrounding women until my first girlfriend.

Although I don't really get the racism. Even my brogressive point before doesn't really cover it fully.

D.Lo

I guess Turnbull can't afford to be seen as uncertain but this outright confidence in gaining the majority seems a bit odd.
Doesn't really matter, just for the cameras right now. He'll form government in some form, and News Limited are printing 'Turnbull Wins' right now.

Why do people think the ABCC not pass a joint sitting?

Won't NXT and One Nation vote for it?
Labor+Greens might have the senate? I don't know haven't done any numbers myself.

That's true, and a shame that numbering in order isn't counted as informal.

But still, forcing people to vote I think has a net positive. It forces far more people to get engaged in the political process than it does allow stupid people to have too much undue influence (I think...).

There's a chance that's the ordering poeple mean though so you can't ban it. It's a shame we can't randomly order the listing per paper. So that random ordering just cancels out.

Why do people think the ABCC not pass a joint sitting?

Won't NXT and One Nation vote for it?

Xenophon was interested but wanted some conditions about evidence and representation for those in front of ABCC. The libs noped it as well they are Libs.

ONP, who the hell knows? 4 or 5 racists that will run around screaming Halal and brown people. They'll probably fracture all over the place.

Window

Labor can't get enough Crossbench to form a government and elect a speaker.

I'm not familiar with whom the crossbenchers usually ally with. On the AEC website, I see Greens, Katter, Xeneophone and Independents. I'm guessing all of them (except the Greens) would side with LNP?

Jintor

I'm not familiar with whom the crossbenchers usually ally with. On the AEC website, I see Greens, Katter, Xeneophone and Independents. I'm guessing all of them (except the Greens) would side with LNP?

the indies depend on who the indies are. Xenophon is also a wild card

D.Lo

There's a chance that's the ordering poeple mean though so you can't ban it. It's a shame we can't randomly order the listing per paper. So that random ordering just cancels out.
That's a great idea actually, and easily doable for the house.

laoni

Katter'll LNP, Wilkie probably won't play ball (One of the Independents), Xenophon might, and I'm not sure about the other independents

Xenophon was interested but wanted some conditions about evidence and representation for those in front of ABCC. The libs noped it as well they are Libs.

ONP, who the hell knows? 4 or 5 racists that will run around screaming Halal and brown people. They'll probably fracture all over the place.

Hmmm. One Nation will certainly support stuff like the asylum policy and probably things like cashless welfare cards , drug testing etc. Probably not going to go for welfare cuts and such (except the stuff that is specifically targeted at Indigenous and Immigrants). Otherwise likely rural conservative. Unlikely to care about the ABCC at all.

BowieZ

Banned
Katter'll LNP, Wilkie probably won't play ball (One of the Independents), Xenophon might, and I'm not sure about the other independents
The other Independent (appropriately the Indi electorate, I forget her name) is apparently conservative so I think it's almost guaranteed The Coalition will get 3 of the 4 others. Labor will get Greens and who knows about Wilkie.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
so what have we all learned and gained from today

The other Independent (appropriately the Indi electorate, I forget her name) is apparently conservative so I think it's almost guaranteed The Coalition will get 3 of the 4 others. Labor will get Greens and who knows about Wilkie.

Wilkie's probably not going to back the LNP, for a former intelligence officer he fecking loathes nation security / border protection scaremongering. There's not much of that kind of Libertarian streak in the Coalition these days. Unless you want to try and get Arksy elected.

hirokazu

Apparently people didn't read the Green Card and only numbered 1-6 which is informal since FPV is mandatory in Lower House.

And so my faith in humanity drops yet further.
When people don't fill in all the boxes for the HoR ballot, do you still count the boxes they did fill it, or is that ballot discarded completely when declared informal?

I have the NSW state election handbook and for the state election you continue to count a ballot as long as the voter's intention is clear. That sounds like a better idea to me.

When people don't fill in all the boxes for the HoR ballot, do you still count the boxes they did fill it, or is that ballot discarded completely when declared informal?

I have the NSW state election handbook and for the state election you continue to count a ballot as long as the voter's intention is clear. That sounds like a better idea to me.
They are considered informal votes and are equal to if nothing was filled in at all.

NSW is OPV, not FPV. Let me try and find the saving provision for HoR federally.

laoni

For now though...I'm dragging my butt to bed. I've already stayed up far too late.

Don't leave the thread hanging, guys~

T-0800

That's true, and a shame that numbering in order isn't counted as informal.

But still, forcing people to vote I think has a net positive. It forces far more people to get engaged in the political process than it does allow stupid people to have too much undue influence (I think...).

No one is forced to vote. Forced to get your name crossed of a list.

BowieZ

Banned
So let's go with these ABC numbers for a bit.

72-66, with 7 in doubt.

Very unlikely Labor gets all 7: but if so it would be 72-73. Bandt and Wilkie will probably pledge interest in Labor, and Katter for Coalition. That leaves Xenophon and the other Independent, who would probably curry favor in joining Labor by showing their flexibility and honouring the incredible swing against LNP this election. Their alternative would be to risk instability by causing a deadlock and another election (or whatever other processes are involved).

Any less than 7, and the LNP will simply have the numbers on its side.

However ABC seems to be adding more and more seats back into their "In doubt" column so it seems unreliable to judge based on their predictions any more.

mjontrix

I think they'll agree with NXT now. For Malcom he needs to show that the Government can get things done and the DD was worth doing.

So let's go with these ABC numbers for a bit.

72-66, with 7 in doubt.

Very unlikely Labor gets all 7: but if so it would be 72-73. Bandt and Wilkie will probably pledge interest in Labor, and Katter for Coalition. That leaves Xenophon and the other Independent, who would probably curry favor in joining Labor by showing their flexibility and honouring the incredible swing against LNP this election. Their alternative would be to risk instability by causing a deadlock and another election (or whatever other processes are involved).

Any less than 7, and the LNP will simply have the numbers on its side.

However ABC seems to be adding more and more seats back into their "In doubt" column so it seems unreliable to judge based on their predictions any more.

ABC removed the projections from seats in doubt going to full count since the assumed flows are wrong for proper counts, I think. So close seats go back up.

so what have we all learned and gained from today

For reasons beyond comprehension people in my electorate fucking love Christopher Pyne.
This-Town-Needs-an-Enima.gif

hirokazu

NSW is OPV, not FPV. Let me try and find the saving provision for HoR federally.
Yeah, I would've thought they'd still try to count a ballot until the voter's intentions become unclear. For example, what about if they filled in all the squares but accidentally skip a number? Does that still make that entire ballot informal and not counted under FPV?

Probably looking like
73/74 LNP*
71 LAB
1 GRN
2/1 NXT*
1 KAP
2 IND

Wilkie and Bandt (GRN) Will side with Labour. Katter (KAP) will side with LNP.
NXT and McGowan can only be guessed at. McGowan is ex-liberal but I wouldn't paint her as conservative as Katter.

*Depending on seat of Grey.

What a fun night for democracy. Maybe now these arseholes will be forced to negotiate and compromise and cooperate.

Yeah, I would've thought they'd still try to count a ballot until the voter's intentions become unclear. For example, what about if they filled in all the squares but accidentally skip a number? Does that still make that entire ballot informal and not counted under FPV?

As I understand Federal House saving: If there are 3 or more candidates then you can leave 1 box blank and preferences will continue to flow until a numbering error in the event that there's a numbering mistake.

That means the 1-6 is fine if there's 7 candidates but informal otherwise.

House Saving provisions are surprisingly weak.

BowieZ

Banned
What a fun night for democracy. Maybe now these arseholes will be forced to negotiate and compromise and cooperate.
I agree. I know the major parties go on about how "disastrous" a hung Parliament would be, but with some relatively decent diplomats (eg Xenophon) holding the balance of power, some sense might be drilled into both sides.

Their divisiveness has to be chipped away at.

hirokazu

As I understand Federal House saving: If there are 3 or more candidates then you can leave 1 box blank and preferences will continue to flow until a numbering error in the event that there's a numbering mistake.

That means the 1-6 is fine if there's 7 candidates but informal otherwise.

House Saving provisions are surprisingly weak.
Thanks. That seems like a reasonable trade-off. Terrible that there's still so many informal votes, but better blank than a correctly filled in throwaway vote.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
The Senate Independents are going to skew conservative so maybe it's not going to be so bad for Turnbull.

The Senate Independents are going to skew conservative so maybe it's not going to be so bad for Turnbull.

Didn't last time. And I don't think it will this time. What Turnbull really wants for his own positions are Libertarian conservatives , this lots are mainly the Social Conservative type (and probably very populist with regard to welfare for Straight White People especially with regard to stuff like incentives to have children, etc ).

I expected an hour ago from the ABC numbers that the Coalition could get to 77 but from the ABC numbers it is going against that...

ABC's website saying the Coalition and Labor are both on 67, then in the Seats in Doubt the Coalition is listed as ahead in 5 of them and Labor is shown as ahead in 6. Coalition 72 vs Labor 73. If these figures pan out then the Coalition would just reach the minimum with all 4 of the non-green Others.

dity

Imagine still being out there at 2am counting ballots and only getting that measly sum from the AEC for doing it.

I expected an hour ago from the ABC numbers that the Coalition could get to 77 but from the ABC numbers it is going against that...

ABC's website saying the Coalition and Labor are both on 67, then in the Seats in Doubt the Coalition is listed as ahead in 5 of them and Labor is shown as ahead in 6. Coalition 72 vs Labor 73. If these figures pan out then the Coalition would just reach the minimum with all 4 of the non-green Others.

I don't much like their chance of getting Wilkie. But the postal results will tend to favour Coalition. Morrison was right about that. Pre-poll is likely less so simply because so many people do it now.

ABC count has evened out to 67-67. Christ, this was one hell of a night, and it didn't even come down to a proper verdict. The full tally on Tuesday is gonna be something to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom