• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGaf |Early 2016 Election| - the government's term has been... Shortened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dryk

I can't wrap my head around Morrison's hot take on why the date should not be moved

Australian stories go back well beyond the time that the First Fleet first arrived in Australia and all Australians, I think, can embrace all of our stories

lols

F0aKEx6.jpg

He appears to be confusing Labour (ie those who) and Labor (the party).

And one of the things the Neuman Government did was change the date of Labor Day, which the current government changed back so he's perhaps not making the bestest argument.

D.Lo

Man, I wish I had no morals, I want a $200k job for very little work just by signing up for some dumb racist party.

r1chard

Based on the fact that there's no "Why isn't there a Liberal Day?", he knows he's talking fucking rubbish. I bet it works all the same, though.
There is, of course, the almost reasonable explanation that he genuinely believes that "Labour Day" is in fact a celebration of the "Australian Labor Party". Yikes.

Based on the fact that there's no "Why isn't there a Liberal Day?", he knows he's talking fucking rubbish. I bet it works all the same, though.

Everyday is Liberal day in a modern Neo-Liberal democracy. Amirite?

I hoped maybe he was being a little sly and recognised the difference between "Labour" and "Labor" but it is absolutely clear the last time he uses "Labour" he is referring to the ALP and has mixed up the whole lot in the cacophony of his own mind.

Now the ALP is essentially the political arm of the Labour movement, whatever is left of it, though the Labour Movement predates the ALP by a good number of years.

Where exactly did the insane parliamentary pensions originate from? I don't understand why they're guaranteed such huge incomes when they retire.

The pension is large to theoretically disincentive bribes by offering future money. It doesn't seem to work though because it turns out greed is infinite.

The pension is large to theoretically disincentive bribes by offering future money. It doesn't seem to work though because it turns out greed is infinite.

Is that seriously the reason? There are so many flaws with that reasoning. Personally I don't think it makes any sense for politicians to be getting these huge pensions and only serves o further remove them from be rest of society (perhaps one of many reasons that they seem so detached from the realities everyone else face).

Most of your Batty Bronwyns and ScoMos are more than able to provide for themselves now and after Parliament with Media or Consultancy jobs. I'd like to see the pension scrapped or preferably means tested.

D.Lo

Where exactly did the insane parliamentary pensions originate from? I don't understand why they're guaranteed such huge incomes when they retire.
It was original because politicians had high difficulty finding work after parliament.

It was later justified as a conflict of interest disincentive - basically it's large enough that politicians won't use their position to set themselves up an income stream after they leave.

Yeah now they get the trifecta - massive pension, plus plum public service role like ambassadorship (useless fucking Joe Hockey ugh), and then they can roll into a banking or energy lobbying role. Million of dollars on that gravy train for anyone who ever hit the Ministry.

Leave Australia Day alone.

Welcome back

As a matter of interest however, what are some actual arguments for keeping the date that aren't jingoistic or a rant against "PC snowflakes"

That must be such a sweet gig for Brandis, question is does that job require he vacant his seat?

darkace

Banned
Welcome back

As a matter of interest however, what are some actual arguments for keeping the date that aren't jingoistic or a rant against "PC snowflakes"

I don't see a reason to change it tbh. I'm not a huge fan of tradition for the sake of tradition, but having one doesn't hurt.

If Indigenous Australians were against it I might reconsider, but they're evenly split.

I hope Australia Day can be inclusive for everyone.

I don't see a reason to change it tbh. I'm not a huge fan of tradition for the sake of tradition, but having one doesn't hurt.

If Indigenous Australians were against it I might reconsider, but they're evenly split.

I hope Australia Day can be inclusive for everyone.

I mean there's no real way to accurately register what constitutes the majority opinion among Indigenous Australians, however in public discourse we can see that the vast majority of Aboriginal leaders do hold an opinion and that is too change the date.

I mean even if half the community is indifferent moving the day wouldn't hurt anyone and would placate still sizeable groups.

Honestly I think the only cogent argument for keeping the day is simply the pragmatic question of using political capital on an untimely superficial issue.

darkace

Banned
I mean there's no real way to accurately register what constitutes the majority opinion among Indigenous Australians, however in public discourse we can see that the vast majority of Aboriginal leaders do hold an opinion and that is too change the date.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-and-name-of-australia-day-changed-poll-finds

Asked about whether the date of Australia Day should change, 54% of Indigenous Australians polled were in favour of a change compared with a total of 15% of total Australians polled.

They're not speaking for everyone. They're evenly split.

Honestly I think the only cogent argument for keeping the day is simply the pragmatic question of using political capital on an untimely superficial issue.

We need a national day. We may as well keep the current one. I genuinely don't care, and no group feels strongly about changing it.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-and-name-of-australia-day-changed-poll-finds

Asked about whether the date of Australia Day should change, 54% of Indigenous Australians polled were in favour of a change compared with a total of 15% of total Australians polled.

They're not speaking for everyone. They're evenly split.

We need a national day. We may as well keep the current one. I genuinely don't care, and no group feels strongly about changing it.

54% is pretty strong disapproval for a date, I doubt you get that kind of disapproval for Labor Day from LNP members. Most of our government changes happen on less than that.

darkace

Banned
54% is pretty strong disapproval for a date, I doubt you get that kind of disapproval for Labor Day from LNP members. Most of our government changes happen on less than that.

54% is a bare majority. If it was a supermajority critics might have a stronger point.

My dad never stops complaining about how Australia is a 'nanny state' but honestly I'm quite grateful. Everything seems to work infinitely better here.

Apparently Trump is going to accept our Asylum deal even though it in no way makes sense for someone with his attitudes on refugees, guess it shows he trusts us more because we're developed with a white populace and so on.

Finally Darkace, in the poll you presented there was three options Yes, No, Not Sure. 54% said it should change and 36% said it should not. An 18% percentage gap is by no means a slight majority. Finally you also mentioned that you might change your views if there was a super majority though correct me if I'm wrong isn't >50% is a supermajority. Probably no point arguing on this though

Apparently Trump is going to accept our Asylum deal even though it in no way makes sense for someone with his attitudes on refugees, guess it shows he trusts us more because we're developed with a white populace and so on.

Classic salesman tactic. Tells his voters what they want to hear, Muslims banned. Tells Australia what we want to hear, that he will honour the deal. If these two conflicting statements come into conflict he'll either ignore it, shout it down or just claim that these people were extreme-vetted, whatever the hell that means. It's clear from the this disaster he's not thinking that far ahead.

Say whatever it takes to make the deal they either under deliver or not at all. He's been doing that his entire life.

Jintor

arguably the point of government is to be a nanny state to cover the areas where not every individual will necessarily find themselves in a position to deal with

Dead Man

Fucking hell, so glad my mum moved to Australia instead of dad to the US.

I said from the start they were evenly split. 54/46 is pretty much evenly split. What exactly have I moved?

Never mind, my fault. Your whole argument hinges on considering the half that don't care as having a very strong opinion that it should remain the same. I don't think that has been shown.

Classic salesman tactic. Tells his voters what they want to hear, Muslims banned. Tells Australia what we want to hear, that he will honour the deal. If these two conflicting statements come into conflict he'll either ignore it, shout it down or just claim that these people were extreme-vetted, whatever the hell that means. It's clear from the this disaster he's not thinking that far ahead.

Say whatever it takes to make the deal they either under deliver or not at all. He's been doing that his entire life.

I know it's not genius but damn it works every time. Every PoliScientist in the world needs to rewrite the rule book and ensure the left can do the same thing (if we want to win that is)

darkace

Banned
Never mind, my fault. Your whole argument hinges on considering the half that don't care as having a very strong opinion that it should remain the same. I don't think that has been shown.

Honestly it sorta looks like a clear majority are in favour one undecideds etc happen. I guess the real question is would they be happy with any other date (other than may 8, we are not naming our national day over a stupid internet meme), or is the simple celebration of australian identity that 'hurts' them. If the former im happy to see it changed. If the latter, too bad unfortunately.

Dryk

In light of this thing with the comfort women statue I'm even more inclined to agree with Jonathan Holmes re: 18c. Update it so that the text is more accurate to how it's applied in the courts so people stop freaking the fuck out every time someone brings a baseless case.

Dead Man

Scott Morrison, fuckhead.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...is-catching-up-to-australia-border-protection

“I remember when we came in in 2013 and I was implementing our border protection policy people threw their hands up – and I said I’m doing what I said I would do in the way I said I’d do it – and guess what, I’m now getting the results I said I’d get,” Morrison told Hadley during their weekly Monday morning chat.

“And we did that as a government, and we’ve continued that as a government, and we are the envy of the world when it comes to strong border protection policies.

“The rest of the world would love to have our borders and the way they are secured and the immigration arrangements we have put in place, particularly most recently, over the last three or four years.

“We’ve got a good history around this. Really, the rest of the world is catching up to Australia.”

Morrison refused to condemn Trump’s policy, which has sparked protests, a legal challenge and criticism in the US and internationally.

Australia’s treasurer said Trump was doing what he said he would do during the presidential race. “Now how the US wants to handle [border protection] is a matter for them. As you say, they’ve had an election, and the president is implementing what he said he would do.”

Probably not a surprise and probably a first step at distancing himself from Turnbull. I know, you know, Scottie knows, everyone else knows and even Turnbull probably knows that Turnbull will go down at some point. Unless ScoMo challenges himself which is pretty unlikely arm he needs to get out from under Turnbull or he'll go down with the ship. If polls get really bad you might even see ScoMo jump first and back an alternate.

He's an amoral evil sob but he's not without political nous.

Probably not a surprise and probably a first step at distancing himself from Turnbull. I know, you know, Scottie knows, everyone else knows and even Turnbull probably knows that Turnbull will go down at some point. Unless ScoMo challenges himself which is pretty unlikely arm he needs to get out from under Turnbull or he'll go down with the ship. If polls get really bad you might even see ScoMo jump first and back an alternate.

He's an amoral evil sob but he's not without political nous.

Morrison's problem is finding someone to back I think. The Abbotista's loathe him for betraying Abbott, Bishop don't want it, and the mods have sweet fuck all else. His other option is Dutton and I'm pretty sure Morrison can read the wind well enough to see that is going to end badly.

danm999

It's the problem the party has in general. They were so awful and Abbott went down so ungracefully that pretty much no front bencher escaped unscathed.

Shit even Rudd-Gillard-Rudd had people like Albo who didn't completely destroy their profiles.

D.Lo

Shit even Rudd-Gillard-Rudd had people like Albo who didn't completely destroy their profiles.
Essentially those that sided with Rudd did so on the basis that a change was a bad idea, and they were proven right. Albo didn't say he loved Rudd, just that 'doing this will fuck us'. Many of those who sided with Gillard burned themselves pretty badly in the end.

It was different with the Libs because apart from the few Abbott true believer loonies, everyone knew they were damned either way.

Dryk

I think they probably could've gotten away with knifing Rudd if they'd pitched it to the public better. Or leaked how much of a shit he was more aggressively. Doing it from the shadows was bound to fail, as much as I think Gillard was a way better PM.

Dead Man

I think they probably could've gotten away with knifing Rudd if they'd pitched it to the public better. Or leaked how much of a shit he was more aggressively. Doing it from the shadows was bound to fail, as much as I think Gillard was a way better PM.

Pretty much.

Yeah, Labor really fucked up how they knifed Rudd. The sudden, out-of-the-blue coup set a bad, bad precedent, nevermind what we knew of the coup at the time implied the reasons was mainly because of the mining tax rather anything to do with Rudd himself personally, which made the move seem especially cowardly.

Is it me or is it looking increasingly embarrassing to see intelligent humane people stand up in front of microphones and say the trump immigration thing is pretty fucking inhumane and poorly implemented as well, while Turnbull says through gritted teeth it isn't his business to discuss other countries, and Bishops smile just gets harder as she waves the issue off.
Like isn't this becoming a litmus test for whether ones leaders are really just assholes, or at the very least still somewhat aware and responsive to public opinion?

Maybe bishop did a deal. The hidden protocol was: don't shitpost about trump for '17 or it's off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom