• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
By all means let's abolish the criminal justice system then since accusations have now suddenly become meaningless
The best part is how her example doesn't even match the question. The asylum seekers are the ones making the claims of mistreatment and not being interviewed. No, the authorities mightn't leap straight to interrogating Tony Jones, but they'd probably want to hear from the person making the allegations in the first place.

Jintor

i guess fair enough a politician of the government can say 'these allegations are unsubstantiated' and then say nothing but to get applause for something so monumentally stupid and wilfuly blind is incredibly disheartening

Mondy

Banned
So George Brandis said IN PARLIAMENT that Australians have a right to be bigoted and to be offensive to other people.

Awesome, so I can get on T.V tomorrow and tell the whole country that if you look at Brandis front on and let your vision blur a bit, he looks like a circumcised penis wearing a suit and there is nothing he can do about it.

hugh with the sweet burn

30a7083b94.png

Shaneus

I don't get it. But having said that, Game of Thrones reference obviously. Was it against Abbott?

Really should watch that show :/

bomma_man

http://theconversation.com/race-act-changes-are-what-you-get-when-you-champion-bigotry-24782

By addressing only incitement to racial hatred, Brandis is winding back the vilification prohibition to cover a single – and increasingly rare – type of behaviour: the crude, public rantings of a racist. He fails to recognise, or maybe even comprehend, the pervasive, casual racism in Australian society that Race Discrimination Commissioner Tim Soutphommasane has identified.

The third part and perhaps most important of the proposed changes is the conduct that is explicitly permitted. Vilifying or intimidating public conduct that is done because of a person’s race is prohibited, but it is allowed when it is done in the course of public discussion.

There is no qualification to this exception. Every other vilification law in Australia limits exceptions to conduct that is done reasonably and in good faith.

This throws out the baby, the bathwater and the bath. The exception is so wide to a prohibition that is so narrow that people will be able to offend, insult, humiliate and incite serious contempt or severe ridicule on the basis of race. They will be able to do so unreasonably and dishonestly, with impunity.

Those who enjoy freedom of expression must assess the limits on that freedom by an awareness of the harm that can be caused by it. This is philosopher John Stuart Mill’s classical liberal “harm principle”. Free speech regulators must be aware that members of a racial minority can live all day, every day, conscious of their different culture and heritage, their different skin colour, their accent, their different practices, customs and preferences.

No member of the Australian racial majority – politicians, policymakers, opinion writers – can understand what it is to have one’s life defined by one’s difference. When “free speech” characterises that difference as a deficiency – a sign of inferiority – offence is a real sense that is qualitatively different from any idea of offence that we in the majority can have.

It is not for us to say that someone who actually – and, in their circumstances, reasonably – feels offence that they should not, or that it is to be borne with resignation. For almost 20 years, federal racial vilification law has been admirably respectful of the lived reality of racial difference.

Human Rights Commissioner and noted “classical liberal” Tim Wilson distanced himself from Brandis’s underlying rationale for the proposed changes: that people have a right to be bigots. He must now be similarly wary of Brandis' simplistic protection of bigotry in the name of free expression.

Yagharek

Are we allowed to be bigots yet?

A bigot is apparently someone who is intolerant of other races and creeds, so I'd just like to put it out there that the Church of Scientology and Hillsong can suck a fuck.

Dryk

Senate inquiry concludes what everyone already knew, nobody will listen. That said I read bits of the full report and everything's pretty confined to it's party's section of the document.

It is inevitable that pricing carbon pollution will become a permanent feature of the global economy.

Should the parliament repeal the price and replace it with the Direct Action slogan, Australia will be dismantling infrastructure that will have to be reconstructed again in a very short time period. There would be a significant cost to Australia in lost time, money, innovation and competitive advantage.

http://christine-milne.greensmps.or.../direct-action-slogan-rejected-senate-inquiry

EDIT:

Also now we're getting a commissioner to tackle cyber-bullying... something's a bit off with this government's messaging...

Senate inquiry concludes what everyone already knew, nobody will listen. That said I read bits of the full report and everything's pretty confined to it's party's section of the document.

http://christine-milne.greensmps.or.../direct-action-slogan-rejected-senate-inquiry

EDIT:

Also now we're getting a commissioner to tackle cyber-bullying... something's a bit off with this government's messaging...

But it's completely consistent with their actual goals (Internet Control = Good , Bolt Control = Bad)

University tutes are killing my vibe.
Somehow gets onto racism and a guy suggests refugees who come from the middle east and deserty places should live in the middle of Australia. I can't deal.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Somehow gets onto racism and a guy suggests refugees who come from the middle east and deserty places should live in the middle of Australia. I can't deal.
Just came back from a tutorial where we discussed social class and inequality.. and it ended into a discussion about how good the rich have got it and how unfair it is with lots of discontent towards the rich.:p

Tommy DJ

What subject? Any engineering orientated sustainable development subject I've done is filled with people that have that sort of opinion. You get to hear a lot of reprehensible opinions in those.

I once worked with a partner who unironically spent the first workshop telling an international student about his Dutch heritage and the glory days of the Dutch Empire. I don't think the international student really cared but it definitely made me feel uncomfortable to hear someone seriously talk about how amazing Dutch Imperialism was to someone with an Indonesian background.

Thankfully most human geographers I've met are not huge pieces of shit.

Mondy

Banned
Campbell Newman and his cabinet just got awarded a $70,000 payrise from an "independent body". There's the salary of a couple of public servants he just got done sacking.

The last minute cash grab before they're all thrown out on their arses.

Also this stuff about Bishop. Yes, she is undoubtedly a biased tool for the Coalition to dominate QT, but this is the first time the Coalition have had an outright majority of government since 2007. It doesn't surprise me at all that they're taking liberties with their power. I suspect they also have a niggling fear that they will only get one term (which current polling backs up) so they're desperate to push their agenda through before the fat lady sings, only for Labor to roll it all back themselves when they return to government.

I suspect we will see a lot of this style of pendulum, all or nothing politics going forward.

lexi

Banned
Campbell Newman and his cabinet just got awarded a $70,000 payrise from an "independent body". There's the salary of a couple of public servants he just got done sacking.

One can certainly hope. They do have like a fucking 50 seat margin.

Dryk

The only clip I've seen of Bishop as speaker was her backing a motion to have the Labor MPs stop calling Liberal MPs names. Not five minutes later Pyne was spitting Electricity Bill Shorten across the chamber multiple times and she didn't even take any notice.

That was really all I needed to see.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Even Peter van Onselen of The Australian was saying that Bishop is a biased piece of shit.
See, what did I say? You just insulted the speaker, who is a woman. Therefore you are another typical left-wing misogynist.

Lol, just saw the highlights and Pyne was claiming that exact thing!

Interesting for all the weird regalia and ceremony and er... after hours stuff, Peter Slipper was a pretty good, straight down the middle speaker.

Seriously these people seem to simultaneously believe that things such as gender and race are just another aspect of someone's personality - and therefore fair game - and that they only get called bigots for daring to criticise women or minorities; a standard they then apply to others. Brandis is constantly saying that we should be allowed to insult and humiliate people, omitting that the RDA doesn't stop that, it stops it being done on the basis of race. Pointing out that Parliament and politics in general is dominated by men is misandry. Marcia Langton saying that Bolt's articles relied on him believing in race theory is just her calling him a racist because he dared to criticise Aboriginal people. Criticising Bishop for being biased is just as sexist as calling Gillard deliberately barren or saying she should make an honest woman of herself. Hell, Gillard wasn't even discriminated against on the basis of gender because all PMs have it rough!

About Slipper; ideally I think it's a role that should be filled by an unelected android or perhaps a specially trained pre-school worker but if someone's going to take the role so seriously that they want a gown, a wig, a mace, a chainmail hauberk and a throne engraved with dragons and griffins then by all means pomp that shit up.

"Labor was raucous and rowdy from the first question and a number of times Bishop noted that a deliberate Labor campaign of destabilisation was underway. Visibly riled at one point, Tony Abbott complained Bill Shorten was humming Rule Britannia in a nod to the prime minister’s reinstatement of knights and dames."

the guardian on question time
I didn't think Shorten had it in him to be such a good troll.

Which uni xD

If it's Sydney uni I'm not surprised.

Newcastle actually. So it wasn't cashed up white guys, more white bogans.

What subject? Any engineering orientated sustainable development subject I've done is filled with people that have that sort of opinion. You get to hear a lot of reprehensible opinions in those.

I once worked with a partner who unironically spent the first workshop telling an international student about his Dutch heritage and the glory days of the Dutch Empire. I don't think the international student really cared but it definitely made me feel uncomfortable to hear someone seriously talk about how amazing Dutch Imperialism was to someone with an Indonesian background.

Thankfully most human geographers I've met are not huge pieces of shit.

hahah oh wow
This was Audience Studies. Can't remember how we got onto the subject of racism but it included all the standards like 'we're not a racist nation because everywhere is racist!' and 'In France the police beat up arabs so point moot!'.
I almost worked up to replying but I was overcome by a feeling of malaise and disheartenment.

Dryk

You know after a week of Abbott, Pyne and Bishop fuckery it's nice to see Barry O'Farrell in the news standing up to the federal government again.

SmartBase

Can't say I sympathise, Queenslanders in their infinite wisdom voted this Bjelke wannabe in and I don't see how he won't get another term or two.

Tommy DJ

hahah oh wow
This was Audience Studies. Can't remember how we got onto the subject of racism but it included all the standards like 'we're not a racist nation because everywhere is racist!' and 'In France the police beat up arabs so point moot!'.
I almost worked up to replying but I was overcome by a feeling of malaise and disheartenment.

Yeeeeeeees I love those answers because those are the sort of answers that get you mocked.

The tutors should really ridicule these sort of responses because 99% of the time, they're absolutely juvenile, thoughtless and really not logical at all.

Rubixcuba

Banned
Newcastle actually. So it wasn't cashed up white guys, more white bogans.

Newcastle Uni ! What course was it ? If it was in a Politics course I would be kinda surprised they weren't shouted down as we are probably the most left leaning Uni.

Newcastle Uni ! What course was it ? If it was in a Politics course I would be kinda surprised they weren't shouted down as we are probably the most left leaning Uni.

Nah not politics, CMNS2600 Audience Studies.
I did do POLI1010 once which yeah was pretty left-wing. It's refreshing when the people doing the shouting down are progressive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom