• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubixcuba

Banned
11933415_10207725974527021_2380783994753591592_n.jpg

11892367_10207725974927031_1924147013048940571_o.jpg

An early look into how the same-sex marriage plebiscite will be run.

Shaneus

There's no way that those tweets are sent to air without moderation, and whoever does that moderation is in a shitload of trouble, rightfully so.
Thing is though, when you look at vanilla Twitter you always see their name first and foremost with the account name usually in a lighter colour and not as visible. In this case, AbbottLovesAnal's actual name was something terribly generic, like Mike Smith or something. But given his account name was the aforementioned, that's what appeared on Q&A.

Honest mistake.

Fredescu

I imagine the tweets are picked automatically, if it was manually, it wouldn't have gotten on air.

Here's the bit from Crikey explaining the process:

Crikey said:
Q&A's Twitter hashtag developed organically, but ballooned in usage after the program began showing tweets live on screen in May 2010. In 2011, then-RMIT academics Jock Given and Natalia Radywyl wrote a research paper that used interviews with the program's senior staff to explain their thinking around live tweets, and went into a lot of detail about how the custom-built system they use, TweeVee TV, actually works.

To have the greatest relevance to the on-going discussion, it was decided tweets should be on-air within one minute of their being posted. Crikey understands tweets are often on air much faster than that -- sometimes they're live in as little as five seconds after being posted.

While there is pressure to get the tweets out quickly, there are at least two steps of human moderation before something gets featured. There are between 30,000 to 60,000 tweets sent with the Q&A hashtag (#qanda) every week. To help make these intelligible, TweeVee TV first filters out all tweets with links, replies and that are longer than 115 characters. Then, obscenity filters are applied to the body of the tweet itself, though not the Twitter handle. Lastly, the system weeds out everyone on a blacklist, which includes those with well-known parody accounts of Australian politicians and the like.

After this, a stream of interesting tweets is shown to a moderators who choose tweets that might be interesting to viewers. These are then sent to a more senior producer, who decides what goes to air. The whole process takes place very quickly, as there is the aforementioned pressure to get tweets on air before the discussion moves on.

In the paper, producer Amanda Collinge explained how this works:

"The two initial moderators are digging in big buckets … They pull out handfuls, read them as quickly as they can, they can’t fully check them all … They send some on to me, and I choose 40 to 50 [the numbers have increased since then to 80 to 100] for the whole show … those that are not obscene, those that value add, are smart, irreverent but not offensive … you just can’t read 35,000 in an hour … I have to concentrate on the discussion as well, marry the tweets to the discussion."

Of course, given the pressure, mistakes happen. There have been a number of incidents in recent months where rather unfortunate things were put up on screen. For example, in October last year, the ABC ran and then apologised for a tweet referring to transgender military group captain Cate McGregor as "he/she". The program has also previously aired tweets from accounts named TJonesPussyKing and Penisbandit69.

Yagharek

For a moment I felt bad for writing that. Not now. Those newspaper editors are the kinds of people who cause young gay kids to commit suicide.

While the cartoon is dreadful, I'm willing to concede that its theoretically possible the front page is an accurate reporting of the events in that community (which is still toxic but doesn't necessarily reflect on the Daily Telegraph).

Having (sort of) defended the Daily Telegraph, I'm now going to go cleanse myself in fire , and then bathe in acid.

Yagharek

While the cartoon is dreadful, I'm willing to concede that its theoretically possible the front page is an accurate reporting of the events in that community (which is still toxic but doesn't necessarily reflect on the Daily Telegraph).

Having (sort of) defended the Daily Telegraph, I'm now going to go cleanse myself in fire , and then bathe in acid.

It's indefensible. They are clearly pandering to right wing bigots and their outrage tendencies when it comes to issues of equality.

You're not going to have to try very hard to convince me that the Daily Telegraph should be nuked from orbit and the ground upon which it once stood burned, salted and thrice-blessed.

I've pretty much spent all my good faith credulity for the Daily Telegraph for the next 900 years with the above post.

Fredescu

It isn't even that: http://junkee.com/the-daily-telegra...rl-with-two-mums-that-shes-not-normal-2/64034

comment1.jpg

Fuck the Tele. Why do I feel like this is even worse that all the crazy bullshit front pages they've had before?

Okay. Yeah. Clearly I was wrong to give the Daily Telegraph the benefit of the doubt (quelle surprise).

Objectively, it probably isn't. This is the paper that has accused the ABC of being Terrorist Sympathizers which is by most definitions worse (since aiding terrorists would actually be a breach of federal law (and probably international law as well)). This seems worse because its probably personally devastating to some people and a transparent tactic to deny equality to a class of people.

Fredescu

Objectively, it probably isn't. This is the paper that has accused the ABC of being Terrorist Sympathizers which is by most definitions worse (since aiding terrorists would actually be a breach of federal law (and probably international law as well)).

Bad, but it is going to cause much fewer people to question their worth as human beings. There is politics, and then there is using a platform to tell a 12 year old that they're abnormal and they are right to feel ostracised.

danm999

Fuck the Tele. Why do I feel like this is even worse that all the crazy bullshit front pages they've had before?

Because they're punching down much further than they usually do when they dress Plibersek up in a burka or portray Peter Slipper as a rat, this time they're going hysterical over optional programs to help vulnerable LGBT teens.

Fredescu

Because they're punching down much further than they usually do when they dress Plibersek up in a burka or portray Peter Slipper as a rat, this time they're going hysterical over optional programs to help vulnerable LGBT teens.

Well put. Directly attacking a 12 year old by name seems much worse than attacking people in positions of power already.

This isn't actually a News Corp policy thing , the Australian came out in support of Marriage Equality months ago (in a "get it out of the way so we can focus on reforms" way but they still did).

The Daily Telegraph is hideous all on its own merit.

danm999

This isn't actually a News Corp policy thing , the Australian came out in support of Marriage Equality months ago (in a "get it out of the way so we can focus on reforms" way but they still did).

I was kind of alluding to all that News of the World scum having to go somewhere.

Fredescu

I really don't get why Chris Mitchell says they accept the climate science at The Australian when Chris Kenny and Graham Lloyd can bang on about denial all day long.

I was kind of alluding to all that News of the World scum having to go somewhere.

Yeah, but lets be honest the Daily Telegraph was terrible before that happened. (I was going to put an emoticon here to show I'm not being obnoxious but I couldn't find one that didn't seem like it was taking the horror show of News of the World / The Daily Telegraph too lately so yeah...)

Fredescu

What does AusPoliGAF think of the republic? Which model? Arguments for and against?

Personally I would vote for the Queen instead of a popularly elected president. A low key mostly ceremonial president would be fine, but would enough people vote for something as unexciting as that for a referendum to pass?

Yagharek

There are a number of news Corp pubs that openly post hate speech. The daily telegraph is one such example.

What does AusPoliGAF think of the republic? Which model? Arguments for and against?

Personally I would vote for the Queen instead of a popularly elected president. A low key mostly ceremonial president would be fine, but would enough people vote for something as unexciting as that for a referendum to pass?

The major issue of the Republic question is:

What do we gain ?

The answer seems to be not a lot. After the whole Whitlam thing the Governor General is effectively an extension of the Executive (which is all that a Ceremonial President would be).

It's hard to get people to care enough on that basis.

Yagharek

Now the nsw education minister has banned them showing the film in schools saying "during school hours we expect them to be doing maths and english" and that schools are not places for discussion on political matters.

I guess that means compulsory RE in nsw is going too?

Wait, what's that sound?

Oh yeah. The blaring hypocrisy of the Australian Christian Taliban.

Yagharek

I hope we become the Democratic People's Republic of Australia.

Dead Man

Now the nsw education minister has banned them showing the film in schools saying "during school hours we expect them to be doing maths and english" and that schools are not places for discussion on political matters.

Wait, what's that sound?

Fucking idiots, all of them.

danm999

I think a Republic is inevitable, I just don't know when. My gut says sometime after Elizabeth II goes.

Maybe Will and Kate can keep the popularity up though? Dunno, seems like one of those demographic time bombs.

Arksy

I'm in two minds. The Queen is such a non entity in Australian politics and we have one of the most independent and stable countries in the world for the system to be good enough as is.

On the other hand I think a republic debate would be a good way to sneak a good bill of rights into our constitution.

wonzo

Banned

Wait, what's that sound?

i fucking hate this state and everything it represents

Yagharek

Piers Akerman is a vile haemorrhoid.

The only good thing about him is watching him get ridiculed on Insiders for his inane ramblings.

Rubixcuba

Banned
To combat the cynicism of the previous posts, look, cross-party action!

Treasurer Joe Hockey will help spearhead a renewed push for a republic, putting him at odds with Prime Minister and staunch monarchist Tony Abbott.

Mr Hockey, along with ACT Labor Senator Katy Gallagher, will co-convene a new Parliamentary friendship group pushing for a plebiscite before 2020 on having an Australian head of state.
http://www.afr.com/news/politics/joe-hockey-to-lead-republic-push-20150826-gj7zy2#ixzz3jtUuV4yJ

Gee Bill, why can't you more assertive?

Labor leader Bill Shorten has called for an Australian republic within 10 years.
Addressing Labor members at the ALP national conference on Friday, Mr Shorten said, "Let us make this the first decade where our head of state is one of us.
"We can be an Australian republic, with an Australian head of state."
Mr Shorten's declaration comes amid a new push within the party to restart momentum on the republic debate.
On Friday afternoon, the national conference passed a resolution that a future Labor government appoints a minister or parliamentary secretary with responsibility for promoting a republic.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/bill-shorten-calls-for-australian-republic-by-2025-at-labor-national-conference-20150724-gijpb0.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom