• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF |OT| Boats? What Boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tborsje

Queensland's political gifts: Pauline Hanson, Clive Palmer, Bob Katter. If you want former coalition members with crazy views that shoot off and make their own wacky parties, then Queensland has you covered.

You're welcome, Australia.

Here are 21 things Vote Compass has revealed about Australian political life.
1. Australia's 11 most right-leaning seats are all in Queensland.

The most right-leaning seat is Maranoa, an outback electorate that covers 42 per cent of the Sunshine State.

(...)

Queensland is also home to the top 10 seats that are least in favour of increasing foreign aid, least in favour of increasing university funding, least in favour of more action on climate change, and least in favour of pricing carbon.

Yep... Queensland lol

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-06/21-things-vote-compass-revealed-federal-election/4939224

hidys

Queensland's political gifts: Pauline Hanson, Clive Palmer, Bob Katter. If you want former coalition members with crazy views that shoot off and make their own wacky parties, then Queensland has you covered.

You're welcome, Australia.

Don't forget the legendary Campbell Newman!

You're missing the ur-example, Sir Johannes Bjelke-Petersen.

Ah yes and of course the states former emperor.

Man what is wrong with Queensland down in Vic all we had was Bolte and Kennett (to a lesser extent Baillieu/Napthine but they're nowhere near as bad as Newman). Oh and Andrew Bolt fuck that guy.

hidys

Good old Joh was probably the closest Australia got to fascism.

He is the only Australian politician to hold high office I would describe with that term.

Queensland isn't that bad, we have the best beef jerky.
Yw6eFn8.jpg

Byron Bay is in NSW...

Jintor

That reminds me, channel nine says a boat arrived in Darwin yesterday but I couldn't find any confirmation elsewhere and obviously the Ministry of Truth isn't handing out information packets these days

A More Normal Bird, what do you do? Or is economics not related to your profession?
Those last few posts have been really interesting as someone who knew jack about it so cheers.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
A More Normal Bird, what do you do? Or is economics not related to your profession?
Those last few posts have been really interesting as someone who knew jack about it so cheers.
My formal economics education ends at high school, apart from going to the odd seminar and trying to tie it in with tangentially related classes at uni. I'm just someone with too much time and really boring hobbies :)

hidys

Guys Joe de Bruyn of the SDA has jut endorsed Shorten on the basis that Albo is "a rabid gay marriage supporter." How can Albanese recover from this?

Jintor

Guys Joe de Bruyn of the SDA has jut endorsed Shorten on the basis that Albo is "a rabid gay marriage supporter." How can Albanese recover from this?

Oh jesus, I didn't know he was rabid. I'll have to go get that gay vaccination now.

hidys

And that is why Labor is fucking useless. Wankers.

You'd have to wonder if Bill is even happy with the endorsement. I suspect "the Dutchman who hates dykes" (in Whitlam's words) may have received an angry phone call from the Shorten campaign.

Also I'm pretty pro union, but if I worked in that industry I wouldn't touch the SDA with a ten foot pole.

Jintor

Downer weighed in today on the Indonesian thing, saying the Indonesians apparently need to respect our sovereignty when their ships come and dump people on us. Which I'm sure will go over well when Tony pops over to put the kettle on and check how our neighbours are doing.

Arksy

I'm really happy that the the labor leadership primary is getting such good coverage.

Australian's aren't really use to seeing this kind of democratic process run its course and despite the fact that this one is a bit dodgy...in that it's basically a popularity contest about the content of their characters and their ability to lead, I'm still chuffed that it's happening.

Now if only we can do the same for each MP on both sides of politics!

Hopefully in time the popularity contest we have going on at the moment will evolve to putting forward alternative platforms for the party. So bring on the coverage!

Dryk

Downer weighed in today on the Indonesian thing, saying the Indonesians apparently need to respect our sovereignty when their ships come and dump people on us. Which I'm sure will go over well when Tony pops over to put the kettle on and check how our neighbours are doing.
We're still going all in on a pair of twos I see

Fredescu

Can anyone prevent me from having to read a dubious and very dry wikipedia article and explain why the Shoppies Union is so socially conservative?

Dead Man

Can anyone prevent me from having to read a dubious and very dry wikipedia article and explain why the Shoppies Union is so socially conservative?

Many unions in traditional blue collar industry are thus. Blue collar bigotry combined with the cause of workers rights, basically.

The Wikipedia article presents a difference explanation: The leadership is more conservative than the base (and their has been some internal backlash over it), So pretty much the same thing as the ALP as a whole really.

Dead Man

I always assumed it was because blue-collar unions had large socially conservative catholic members/workforces.

Historically they did, and hence senior members often are like that. As times have moved on, the membership is often from a diverse background, and not in agreement.

Fredescu

It's not so much the SDA, just Joe De Bruyn.

Thanks, I think that answers that.

"The SDA leadership is seriously out-of-step with its own members on this issue, and we should know," John Kloprogge, a former SDA store delegate, and Brett Jones, an SDA member, wrote in Fairfax papers last year.

"Before the SDA contributes any further to the debate about same-sex marriage, we call on it to survey its members. Until then, the SDA can only claim to speak on behalf of de Bruyn and his personal views. It has no mandate to speak for us."

wonzo

Banned
I honestly think Shorten did better than Albanese in last night's debate but I'd still support Albo over him by a country mile, especially when you've got a pompous arsehole like Mark Latham hating his guts.

Jintor

Latham is exactly the kind of man you want criticising you on your supposed lack of leadership skills. It's practically a mark of approval

Dryk

I'm not surprised. Shorten is the kind of guy that Frank Underwood looks at and says, 'That's some ruthless shit.'
Kevin Foley has endorsed him as a "good leader and great bloke" in today's paper. No mention of his fondness for destabilising political parties.

Arksy

My formal economics education ends at high school, apart from going to the odd seminar and trying to tie it in with tangentially related classes at uni. I'm just someone with too much time and really boring hobbies :)

Hey, thanks for taking the time to lay it all out. Since you've basically made an argument against the (what I would consider) fundamental nexus between taxation and government spending, I hope you don't mind that I do a bit of research and reading before I even attempt any form of rebuttal!

It's not that I doubt what you're saying is true, more like I'm completely out of my fucking depths here and need to ask around for some other perspectives. :D

Dryk

Indonesia releases transcript of private meeting with Julie Bishop. What is going on? This is crazy. Indonesia gunning for transparency and Australia seeking to keep everything on the d-l.
The Coalition have been trying to keep things on the down low for ages.

The Indonesian people don't care about this issue as long as the people don't end up in their country (sounds familiar). Their government won't roll over as easily as we (for some reason) have decided they will.

EDIT: Also something about this interview is bugging me and I can't figure out what it is. Possibly that the Prime Minister continues to say that they won't back down from policy, and also won't do anything stupid. I dunno the whole thing comes off as wishful thinking to me.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...onesia-a-passing-irritant-20130927-2uhzs.html

Since job offers seem to be dwindling in the occupations I was looking at, any chance there are any cushy government jobs hanging out with the Navy herding refugee boats? I don't get sea sick too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom